HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part III | Marlies vs Barons | Marlies pull ahead in the series 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 01:13 AM
hdtrax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
can you or someone tell me how Deschamps did?

thanks.

edit: i know from the box score that he got an assist and 2 shots +1
Had a decent game, was noticeable for making some plays and doing some good board work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dragon 81 View Post
Hey guys,

I've only been able to catch 1+ period in Game 1 against OKC but how has Gardiner fared in these playoffs? His skating even in the NHL is elite, I imagine he must skate circles around AHL players.
Hot-dogging way too much for my liking. Hoping he doesn't have a sophomore slump next year cuz he's overconfident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I think you guys are a little tough on Colborne, I was watching him the other night, you see the talent there, he needs the right line mates I think. He's a project for sure.
He is but comparing him to a great 3rd line center like Hanzal isn't an insult on Colborne. He has potential, but the drive and gamebreaker talent just isn't quite there. He can be dominant for spurts, but not over a sustained period of time. All in all, he has the makings of a very good 2nd/3rd line center.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:26 AM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

I feel like Bob McGill is not passing the Turing test.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:46 AM
RonEllisFan

Sorry if I ruffle some feathers with this post, but I live in Europe (originally from Ont. Canada) and have the ESPN America channel to watch NHL hockey, well this year ESPN did not pick up NHL hockey but they did pick up AHL, so I have watched every playoff game, sorry guys it's like watching slow motion hockey, skill level is not that high, Watching the world championships in Finland and Sweden was by far more entertaining. But being a life long leafs fan I am pushing for the Marlies, and I'm keeping a close eye on some of the leafs prospect that may be on the ice for the leafs next year. Not a troll, just expressing my opion.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:27 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
Sorry if I ruffle some feathers with this post, but I live in Europe (originally from Ont. Canada) and have the ESPN America channel to watch NHL hockey, well this year ESPN did not pick up NHL hockey but they did pick up AHL, so I have watched every playoff game, sorry guys it's like watching slow motion hockey, skill level is not that high, Watching the world championships in Finland and Sweden was by far more entertaining. But being a life long leafs fan I am pushing for the Marlies, and I'm keeping a close eye on some of the leafs prospect that may be on the ice for the leafs next year. Not a troll, just expressing my opion.
I should hope their is a marked difference in skill level, the AHL is full of career minor league pros. Why would it ever be as good as the WHC? Much of the talent their is near NHL caliber.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Frattin is turning out to be a beauty eh? love it.
He's clearly physically above the AHL level. Fantastic shot and release, he'll always be able to put the puck in the net based on that alone but he does need to utilize his linemates better.

He's a keeper for sure.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Interactif

Other than the obvious 2 goals, I didn't think Frattin played all that well yesterday. Kid has a terrific shot though.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Other than the obvious 2 goals, I didn't think Frattin played all that well yesterday. Kid has a terrific shot though.
He kinda owed the team that GWG after his horrible, horrible giveaway that lead directly to Paajarvi's snipe.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I should hope their is a marked difference in skill level, the AHL is full of career minor league pros. Why would it ever be as good as the WHC? Much of the talent their is near NHL caliber.
They also play on different size of rinks. On the smaller rinks the talent can be snuffed out, compare how Semin did at WHC and NHL playoffs.

Lots of room in Europe, which is why I questioned Schenn going over, as I've watched him get burned there in the past.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
05-22-2012, 07:52 AM
bobbyflex

Deschamps has really grown on me. This kid will be an NHL'er

Old
05-22-2012, 07:55 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
There should be more Game of Thrones talk around here.

I read the 1st book more than 15 years ago... slowest writing author ever.
...and his incomplete series is not even the oldest unfinished series i"m reading (more than 20 years)

LOL, I started reading incomplete book series before many of the posters here were even born.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:33 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I read the 1st book more than 15 years ago... slowest writing author ever.
...and his incomplete series is not even the oldest unfinished series i"m reading (more than 20 years)

LOL, I started reading incomplete book series before many of the posters here were even born.
Just a hunch....

Wheel of time?

Old
05-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
They also play on different size of rinks. On the smaller rinks the talent can be snuffed out, compare how Semin did at WHC and NHL playoffs.

Lots of room in Europe, which is why I questioned Schenn going over, as I've watched him get burned there in the past.
How did Schenn do over there? I wasn't able to catch a game.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
caribouPINE

In 90 pro games (obviously split between the Leafs and Marlies regular season/playoffs) Frattin has now scored 30 goals.

Pretty solid for his first season of pro hockey!

Old
05-22-2012, 09:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
How did Schenn do over there? I wasn't able to catch a game.
I didn't watch much this year, so I can't say.

He was a 3rd. pairing defender, and I heard he was benched late one game. I think he and Quincey got about the same amount of ice time.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Oh good, so you watched Eakins and Frattin post game interviews.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Oh good, so you watched Eakins and Frattin post game interviews.
Maybe he watched the game?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Antropovsky

No question this deep run is Making our prospects development pace grow exponentially with every additional postseason game they play. Specifically happy for gardiner, Kadri, frattin and scrivens.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Antropovsky

These upcoming years might be when we start seeing the results of burkes hard work and patience. With Kadri, frattin, gardiner, scrivens, holzer set to graduate to the big leagues, players like Ross, blacker, maybe Biggs, d'amigo and Owuya are ready to either step into the ahl, or step into bigger roles in the ahl. Really happy with the commitment and patience Burke has put into stocking and development of our prospects.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
These upcoming years might be when we start seeing the results of burkes hard work and patience. With Kadri, frattin, gardiner, scrivens, holzer set to graduate to the big leagues, players like Ross, blacker, maybe Biggs, d'amigo and Owuya are ready to either step into the ahl, or step into bigger roles in the ahl. Really happy with the commitment and patience Burke has put into stocking and development of our prospects.
One of the most overlooked elements of Burke's tenure here is that for the first time in franchise history, Toronto has developed an organized and professional youth development system that encourages competition and serves as a great platform for young players to take the next step to the NHL. Having the Marlies in Toronto also gives the young players experience in the big city, as opposed to being isolated elsewhere and having to adjust to the spotlight once they're here.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
He really didn't. He mentions during his post-game interview that it was very hot at ice level and probably lost 10 lbs of water weight during the game. I was there and it WAS hot as hell in the seats. Frattin wasn't very noticeable until the goals.

He might having the same issues that I'm guessing Gardiner (who also didn't look very good yesterday) is having, that he's never played this many games in a season and his body is starting to run out of gusto.

The most games Frattin's ever played in a season is 73, and that was in junior back in 06-07. He's already up to 90 games this season, and those are pro minutes.

Same with Jake, the most games played in a season for him was last year (51). Already he's up to 90 games himself as well. And those totals aren't even including the prospects and pre-season games he participated in. I imagine that has at least something to do with these guys slowing down and not looking so great.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonMushroom View Post
He really didn't. He mentions during his post-game interview that it was very hot at ice level and probably lost 10 lbs of water weight during the game. I was there and it WAS hot as hell in the seats. Frattin wasn't very noticeable until the goals.

He might having the same issues that I'm guessing Gardiner (who also didn't look very good yesterday) is having, that he's never played this many games in a season and his body is starting to run out of gusto.

The most games Frattin's ever played in a season is 73, and that was in junior back in 06-07. He's already up to 90 games this season, and those are pro minutes.

Same with Jake, the most games played in a season for him was last year (51). Already he's up to 90 games himself as well. And those totals aren't even including the prospects and pre-season games he participated in. I imagine that has at least something to do with these guys slowing down and not looking so great.
But for most it's not the case of them looking bad consistently, which I think would speak more to your assessment. Frattin has been pretty noticeable for most of the playoffs, so has Gardiner. Both have had their 'mental lapses' but that happens to many players regardless of skill level.

With Frattin, I don't think his game has changed much since his time with the Maple Leafs. He just seems like he has a bit more confidence in his game now. Has a bit more space for himself at the lower level too, but confidence is also a huge factor (not just in sports, but in anything in life). So hopefully he can bring that confidence with him next season and he can turn into more of an offensive weapon.

I think Gardiner's been relatively the same as he played with the Maple Leafs. Maybe people are just catching his weaknesses more often now that the relative 'shine' of a young prospect has warn off? (happens to all new players). Or his mistakes look a bit more serious being at a lower-level?

Either way, I don't mind his mistakes because his success rate (IMO) is much higher than his fail rate. You certainly don't want to take away any players natural talents/instincts. I'm pretty sure both of Gardiner's goals in the playoffs were results of individual rushes end to end (making everyone look silly in the process). So to some of the posters who say he seems a bit 'cocky' like he's too good for the league...well it's probably because he is and he knows it. The guy was one of the best first year defenders in the NHL this past season. Does that make consistent blunders forgivable? No. But it's OK to overlook a bad game once in a while when you have a long list of great ones.

It's the bounce back that you look for when those players make mistakes. Frattin, even though he didn't have his best game, rebounded quite well when he needed to. So that's a good sign. You just hope it doesn't turn into something consistent that ruins the rest of their game.

05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
But for most it's not the case of them looking bad consistently, which I think would speak more to your assessment. Frattin has been pretty noticeable for most of the playoffs, so has Gardiner. Both have had their 'mental lapses' but that happens to many players regardless of skill level.

With Frattin, I don't think his game has changed much since his time with the Maple Leafs. He just seems like he has a bit more confidence in his game now. Has a bit more space for himself at the lower level too, but confidence is also a huge factor (not just in sports, but in anything in life). So hopefully he can bring that confidence with him next season and he can turn into more of an offensive weapon.

I think Gardiner's been relatively the same as he played with the Maple Leafs. Maybe people are just catching his weaknesses more often now that the relative 'shine' of a young prospect has warn off? (happens to all new players). Or his mistakes look a bit more serious being at a lower-level?

Either way, I don't mind his mistakes because his success rate (IMO) is much higher than his fail rate. You certainly don't want to take away any players natural talents/instincts. I'm pretty sure both of Gardiner's goals in the playoffs were results of individual rushes end to end (making everyone look silly in the process). So to some of the posters who say he seems a bit 'cocky' like he's too good for the league...well it's probably because he is and he knows it. The guy was one of the best first year defenders in the NHL this past season. Does that make consistent blunders forgivable? No. But it's OK to overlook a bad game once in a while when you have a long list of great ones.

It's the bounce back that you look for when those players make mistakes. Frattin, even though he didn't have his best game, rebounded quite well when he needed to. So that's a good sign. You just hope it doesn't turn into something consistent that ruins the rest of their game.
Frattin said he didn't have his legs last night, the coach didn't think it was his best game. The point is, Frattin still managed to score the game winner and a key snipe at the end of the second. Most guys would kill for that "off game" and it speaks to how this guy can contribute despite not being at his best. When at his best, Frattin has absolutely dominated these playoffs, when at his worst he pots two. See you next year in Toronto!

Old
05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Ari91

Went to my first Marlies game yesterday and it was a blast! Wasn't their best game but the finish to the game made it really exciting to witness in person. I have to say, watching the video highlights of the game, it doesn't do justice to the atmosphere at Ricoh. The crowd was awesome.

It was rather warm in the Ricoh. Never thought I'd go to a hockey game wearing a tank top and jeans and feel that warm but thankfully every once in a while, I'd get a shot of cool breeze from somewhere above me and everytime the Marlies scored, the wonderful people in front of me swinging their rally towels provided a nice breeze I can't imagine how tough it was for all of the players to be moving around in that heat in those layers of clothing and padding. Frattin mentioned how hot it was and at the first intermission, I believe it was an interview with Deschamps where he mentioned that the ice wasn't that great. Ricoh should probably turn the AC up a bit.

It was definitely an off game for Frattin but I think that says a lot about his skills and his potential if he be can be worn down a bit in a game and still manage to produce when his team needs it.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hey guys, I missed the game tonight, a couple of questions for you if you don't mind, what were your thoughts on some of the Oilers prospects like Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Lander, etc.? Also I just read that an Abney hit hurt Kadri, was it a clean hit or a dirty hit? This series looks like it has the makings of a long and really good series. Thanks!
To be completely honest, i typically only follow Marlies players when i watch their games.. with that said out of the three you mentioned PRV was really the only player i noticed. Hes a speedy kid with good size. He can be chaotic at times, which pays dividends on the fore check. His puck management can use improvement, however his speed and size really separates him from the other players on the Barons. Once or twice he recklessly cut through the middle with his head down, however was more then willing to take a hit to make a play. He is an NHL player, just needs to get in tighter to the net. He seems to try to do too much sometimes. He'd be much better suited fore checking and planting himself in front of the cage. He reminds me of a much faster and more skilled version of Alexei Ponikarovsky... may not seem like a great comparison, however i definitely see him with more overall ability.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:05 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You are correct, watching the skill level at the WHC compared to the AHL is mind boggling.

Closed Thread