HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That's a fair point. I think Staal has both abilities which is extremely valuable. Plus, I think the 3rd line shut down thing is overrated. You could put Staal out there in a scoring role against another team's top players and accomplish both.

For example, say he's on Chicago's second line with Hossa and Stalberg. I think you could put that line up against the Sedins, shut them down and be a significant scoring threat.
Absolutely. Toews and Staal could be very similar to Datsyuk and Zetterberg in that regard. The whole offensive role thing is pretty new to Staal and he's only 23. I'm sure he'll learn to balance the two if he is given that role long term.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
reading in the trade-board Staal thread the one coyotes fan trying to prove the market for Staal will surely evaporate with ardent, cavorting speculation is tiring me out.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
reading in the trade-board Staal thread the one coyotes fan trying to prove the market for Staal will surely evaporate with ardent, cavorting speculation is tiring me out.
That's a Canes fan on the Coyote bandwagon, I read their comments and their comments mean as much as ours, which means it doesn't matter.

People can say anything they want, bottom line is that if Jordan Staal was on the trade market, there will be buyers, that's it. There will be no "well, other teams are going to pursue better options on the free agent market" or "well the Penguins won't get much for Staal since he only has a year left, so we can just trade quantity for quality". No, there will be GM's lining up for Staal and they will pay a premium for his services, end of discussion.

If we don't get a fair offer, we keep him (which we should do anyways)

Old
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
That's a Canes fan on the Coyote bandwagon, I read their comments and their comments mean as much as ours, which means it doesn't matter.
ah, that makes more sense in terms of agenda. i agree the market will be robust - and like you say, if the market does in fact dissipate, they won't trade him. i might even go so far as to say the return for Stall will be a pivotal franchise defining moment.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Pens1566

That thread is a whole lot of undermining Staal to justify the atrocious "offers" that fans of other teams are making. Nothing more.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
That thread is a whole lot of undermining Staal to justify the atrocious "offers" that fans of other teams are making. Nothing more.
You just described that entire board.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:03 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Josh Yohe's article is finally out:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...-summer-center

Old
05-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post

Interesting...

Old
05-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post

Purely speculation based on second and third hand rumors, I'm guessing, but of all those potential deals the only one I'm really sold on is the Oilers' one, for the 1st overall pick. Minny's would be solid with Clutterbuck and Setoguchi. Carolina's of Sutter and the 8th is also solid, but not really the package I'd hope for. But the Toronto one I don't like at all. Kadri and Schenn? I'm not sold on Kadri ever being an impact forward, and Schenn's not really an upgrade over what we have right now.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Jaded-Fan

Yeah, I would much rather keep Staal. The first overall is interesting, only because you control him cheaply for the better part of the next decade, but he is a roll of the dice, albeit a fairly strong one.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

didn't realize that Minneapolis is a six-hour drive from Thunder Bay - a homecoming for both Staal and Martin

Old
05-13-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yeah, I would much rather keep Staal. The first overall is interesting, only because you control him cheaply for the better part of the next decade, but he is a roll of the dice, albeit a fairly strong one.
Its not so much Yak but also freeing up money. Plus I have to think that maybe theres more to the deal. Maybe MSP comes to the Pens too.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:15 AM
abstrusezincate

Send a message via AIM to abstrusezincate Send a message via Yahoo to abstrusezincate
One thing that has to play into the Edmonton idea is what the Pens plan to do in free agency. If they want to pursue a specific target, that deal might look before for the cap flexibility it creates.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

if he goes in a deal that frees up a lot of cap I would guess that means we'll push for someone like Parise or Suter. That's a gamble though. If it works Shero will look like a genius but if we don't land the FA then we'd likely have just downgraded the roster for next year.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:29 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I really do not think Edmonton will trade the 1st Overall Pick unless its to slide down into the top 5. Tambellini made sure that Murray would make the roster this year so he can get a look at his development against stronger competition.

If the Pens get the 5th Overall from Toronto, we'd have a shot @ drafting Grigorenko. That would be sick!!! The sky is the limit and he'd probably be closer to making the lineup than going back to junior.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Not sure they'd free up much cap room. I believe the 1st overall's cap hit would be a bit under 4 million after bonuses etc. Not a lot different from Staal's current 4 million deal unless Martin is going with him. We could free up money if other players are going with Staal.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:36 AM
JTG

If we're trading Staal, I think it's because of money, which is one of the reasons I can't see us trading him, and then replacing him with a more expensive player.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If we're trading Staal, I think it's because of money, which is one of the reasons I can't see us trading him, and then replacing him with a more expensive player.
It could be because of money, but In my opinion, we would only be trading Staal if he's not willing to stay at 3rd line center, even if we double shift him and give him shifts with the top 6, top pp and pk time, etc. If he wants to be a legit, full time 2nd line center. Then trade him.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:08 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
It could be because of money, but In my opinion, we would only be trading Staal if he's not willing to stay at 3rd line center, even if we double shift him and give him shifts with the top 6, top pp and pk time, etc. If he wants to be a legit, full time 2nd line center. Then trade him.
Have to agree with this. Hopefully, something can be worked out to satisfy everyone's needs ... but if Staal's heart is set on being a 2C it's better for everyone involved to trade him. I'd hate to see him go, but better he be happy on another team than unhappy on the Pens.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I could see us paying 6 or more million for a great winger or top paring D-Man. I have major doubts Staal brings either in return though. He probably brings a package of good young assets.

I think the reason for trading Staal is just that 6 or 7 million is too much for a 3rd line center and he's not good enough on the wing to justify that salary either. Like I said, I could see us paying that kind of cash for certain D-Men or wingers, but not Staal.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

If Nashville would give us the right to work on a contract with Suter and we could sign him I wouldnt mind a Suter and Wilson for Staal + deal.

Of course this would only happen if Nashville gets somewhere near July 1st and figures out that they arent going to be able to get Suter signed and are going to have to trade his rights.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:49 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
If Nashville would give us the right to work on a contract with Suter and we could sign him I wouldnt mind a Suter and Wilson for Staal + deal.

Of course this would only happen if Nashville gets somewhere near July 1st and figures out that they arent going to be able to get Suter signed and are going to have to trade his rights.
Hell no, not taking no chance on Suter going to UFA and Pens get rid of Staal for nothing. You want Suter? get rid of Martin, then sign Suter to a deal, trade Staal+Niskanen for a stud dman also. Then trade Orpik for Stewart. 2 stud dmen, 1 long term winger buddy for Crosby.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

The best thing for us is to find a 1:1 replacement that won't command a higher salary.

I love Staal...but wanting $7mil is absolutely re-fuggin-diculus. He needs to be in the $5-6mil range. The Neal Deal would be MORE than generous for him. If we can't get to something like that then we need a 1:1 trade for a winger or dman that will ask for something less than $6-7mil. This is why I still hold that Staal for Ryan works so well for both teams. We need a winger for Sid, Ducks need a 2C. The trade simply works and the values are very close. Ryan's $5.1mil cap hit, position, and play would be perfect for this team. To be quite honest...I would add whatever pick or prospect not named Morrow, Despres, Bennett to get him.

We're getting rid of Staal because we don't think it will work under the cap...so if we trade him, why would sign another big name when we can't afford Staal as is? We have to think about Crosby, Malkin, and Letang's new deals...we're not gonna be able to sign a big name like Parise or Suter for a short term deal.

We need to find a suitable replacement for a cheaper cap hit. Yakupov would be nice. Thats something I could get in to.

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Yakupov...I could get into that.

Would love to see:

Dupuis-Crosby-Ryan
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

or

Dupuis-Crosby-Neal
Kunitz-Malkin-Yakupov

Something like that could work

Old
05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
JTG

I have a problem with a contender having an unproven player taking 4 million of the cap. That's almost as bad as Staal taking up 7, IMO.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Sideline

Quote:
I have a problem with a contender having an unproven player taking 4 million of the cap. That's almost as bad as Staal taking up 7, IMO.
Keep in mind the bonus cushion is likely to come back next season. Yakupov would need to put up 50+ points to get to the full $3.75 million cap hit.

Closed Thread