HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Interesting offer but I can't see either team trading a marquee player to the other. I wouldn't be too worried about Gaborik creating offense for himself on this team but I think the 82 games is an aberration. More common is when he misses 15-20 games due to groin or related problems.
He had hip surgery to repair a genetic flaw that was supposedly the cause of all his nagging groin issues. Since the surgery, he has played 245 out of 271 games with the Rangers. (He missed 26 games in three seasons and 20 of those were due to a shoulder injury (completely unrelated to the groon) two years ago).

Just putting that out there.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:15 PM
JTG

And something to think about, with the cap going up to where it's going to be...that has essentially bought us another year with Staal, even if he signs at a cap number that we all know is pretty much unsustainable on this roster. We can sign him to a long term deal, take on his salary for a year until the cap potentially drops, and visit trading him next offseason where he hopefully puts together a great offensive season, culminating in a Cup, and is also locked up long term. We should be able to fetch a king's ransom.

Also, this year buys us another year of seasoning for our young blueliners, where hopefully we can get most of our top guys ready to be full time NHL'ers and saving us even more money, with the hope that in 2 years, we may be able to even keep Staal and trade away some defensemen.

Just my thought.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Pens1566

About the only top tier prospects I'd be willing to deal Staal for are Tarasenko and Granlund. Doubt we would be able to get either one though. Having said that, Saad's stock has skyrocketed since the draft. Kid is going to be a good one. Lots of people forget he was a legit top 10 pick before getting sick.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
FWIW, TIOPS says multiple teams are already inquiring on Staal.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...t-staal/49457/
Probably because Pierre LeBrun said that on Insider Trading today on TSN

Old
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Jax1166

Never happen but imagine:

Jordan Staal for Marc Staal.
Great deal.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Yeah, but is it surprising?

If Staal ever does hit the market because of wanting a first or second line role, I think that people at HF would be surprised at what he brings. There could be some serious bidding.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yeah, but is it surprising?

If Staal ever does hit the market because of wanting a first or second line role, I think that people at HF would be surprised at what he brings. There could be some serious bidding.
And the "only one year left on his deal" nonsense will be prove itself to be completely overblown. I agree that something huge will be coming back our way if it's determined we can't re-sign him or he wants out.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:17 PM
mpp9

I don't see Staal here longterm, but I agree with JTG. The cap going up buys us some time with Staal and Despres/Morrow/Harrington.

All I want to see is Martin gone and an upgrade in the top 6.

XXX-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Letang
Niskanen-Michalek
Despres-Engelland

Go after one of Clowe/Kulemin for Malkin's LW. (If an upgrade for Sid isnt in the cards) Give Nisky and Despres their chance. Have one of Strait/Bortuzzo as the #7.

Adjust our strategy in the D-zone. That D-corps is more than capable.

Giving Geno a guy who can work the boards and reuniting KSD and CSK is something I wanted at the deadline.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I'll believe LeBrun on that. He is credible. TIOPS is trash.

Teams inquiring is hardly surprising news though. Everybody knew teams would inquire given Staal's going into his last season and may or may not be a tough re-sign for the Pens. Shero has to listen and decide if Staal is worth more to the team at whatever money he'll sign for or if the better value is in the player or package of players offered for him in trade. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:54 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If Saad were a sure thing to thrive in a top 6 wing spot right away, I'd probably agree (even if he's not the RH shot we should be looking for).

I don't think that's something we should count on.
Yeah I mean to be honest, all I'm asking of him is to have somewhere between 45-55 points. I'm not asking him to be an absolute "first line wing" I'm just asking that he, as a 20 year old forward, develops basically. The thing is, I don't expect him to get much PP time if he's here (Kunitz, Neal, Crosby, Malkin, FA signing are ahead of him in the grand scheme). Basically, I expect a little bit less than Dupuis production last year. While Dupuis last year was an anomaly in my opinion, there's no reason that Saad can't come close to that in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
You made a good argument for why that Bolland package may be better than letting Staal go for nothing (or just Sharp), but how about Sutter+8th? To me Sutter is a cheaper, younger, better third line center and whoever's left at 8th shouldn't be that much further out from the NHL than Saad, whose being first line ready next season seems a pipe dream.

You also say the trade leaves us with 10m of cap room after you moved the ceiling up by 5m and moved out Martin, which leaves us with pretty much 10m all on its own, even when keeping Staal. Bolland's nex contract is only one year further out than Staal's and I seriously take issue with what he is already earning.

I simply do not see the upside to Bolland compared to keeping Staal or pretty much any other trade imaginable. I do see the upside of Saad+ (even when the + is Bolland) over nothing though, no argument there.
Well basically my opinion is that you fill two spots as opposed to one in the Sutter +8 deal as opposed to the Saad/Bolland+ deal (based on my opinion on Saad, not necessarily the correct opinion, just how good I think he is). Sutter fills the 3rd line center spot (I don't think he fills it as well as Bolland does, but compared to their respective salaries I do think they fill it comparably with Sutter coming in at 2M and Bolland at 3.3M). My opinion is that Saad is probably just as close at worst (obviously I've made my opinions on Saad apparent, I think he's ready to play next year whereas the #8 probably isnt) to the #8 pick, plus we're getting the 18 in that incarnation of the deal. I think Sutter and the 8th is very similar to a Sharp deal right now, except it makes us worse in the present, better in the future, whereas the Bolland+Saad+ helps us both ways.

Basically my opinion on Saad comes down to this. The guy was the second best winger in the OHL this year (Toffoli had more votes, so let's call him the best) and prior to the last set of rankings last year, he was a top 10 prospect basically universally until he got nicked up/adjusted to play in the OHL as opposed to America. He played well in the two games he played in the playoffs (legitimately looked like an NHL player, not just good for a young guy. Small sample size but still), he's proven himself to play more in the NHL than all but 3 forward prospects his age (Nuge, Couturier, Landeskog), plus he plays an awesome style that would fit well with our system and Sid. Saad is a perfect fit for us. Whether or not it works within the idea of trading Staal, who knows, I just know it's better than Sutter + 8. If you add McBain or Faulk, that will require more thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but I'll take my prospect analysis from guys who's jobs it is to watch and report in prospects.

Dobber's 2012 Prospects Report comes out tomorrow and Saad won't be close to top 25, let alone top 15.
No problem with you thinking that. Probably the safer way to go. I think he's going to be at worst top 31 because I think HF underrated him, but we'll see I guess. No problem.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
The Penguins will try to sign Jordan Staal and SIdney Crosby this offseason, a year before they each hit unrestricted free agency, according to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com.
The fact that the Pens will extend Crosby doesn't really come as too noteworthy, but there had been some chatter that they may be forced to deal Staal as he becomes more expensive -- plus, they have two other world-class centers. LeBrun says, however, that Pittsburgh is OK with keeping Crosby, Staal and Evgeni Malkin -- but if there are any hang-ups in the negotiations with Staal, it would then explore trade opportunities, of which there would be plenty
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=163054&spln=1

Old
06-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Sounds like what everybody expected. They will try to re-sign him first and trade him if they can't agree on contract and/or role.

I still wonder how tempted Shero will be if a team makes a huge offer for Staal around the draft. We'll probably never know unless there's another behind the scenes draft video that comes out.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Honour Over Glory

I think Shero will get Staal signed long term, but that won't mean he'll still start the season as a Penguin, a signed past next season Staal is worth even more. Screw the cap stuff, I think Staal is ready for a top 6 role but it will never happen on this team while he is a center and he doesn't really work as a winger, so the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, people are just finally coming to terms with it.

I would hope Shero goes after someone like Gaustad for the 3rd line, don't have faith in Jeffrey or Vitale taking that 3rd line C job with Cooke and Kennedy and being all that effective.

Staal should bring in some serious pieces to the team, not only to add an interesting piece to the prospect pool, a top 6 winger and maybe a high pick and/or more. You never want to see a guy like Staal go, but when you see how well he's been playing offensively and the fact that the team does have Crosby and Malkin, 2 of the best centers in the game and Staal will likely NEVER surpass them when the team is healthy, on the depth chart...you gotta look at your options.

If I am Shero, I try to get Staal signed long term and then package him with Martin and call Nashville for a sign and trade deal for Suter and maybe pry Hornqvist or Radulov from them.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
CurseOfKavorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I think Shero will get Staal signed long term, but that won't mean he'll still start the season as a Penguin, a signed past next season Staal is worth even more. Screw the cap stuff, I think Staal is ready for a top 6 role but it will never happen on this team while he is a center and he doesn't really work as a winger, so the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, people are just finally coming to terms with it.

I would hope Shero goes after someone like Gaustad for the 3rd line, don't have faith in Jeffrey or Vitale taking that 3rd line C job with Cooke and Kennedy and being all that effective.

Staal should bring in some serious pieces to the team, not only to add an interesting piece to the prospect pool, a top 6 winger and maybe a high pick and/or more. You never want to see a guy like Staal go, but when you see how well he's been playing offensively and the fact that the team does have Crosby and Malkin, 2 of the best centers in the game and Staal will likely NEVER surpass them when the team is healthy, on the depth chart...you gotta look at your options.

If I am Shero, I try to get Staal signed long term and then package him with Martin and call Nashville for a sign and trade deal for Suter and maybe pry Hornqvist or Radulov from them.
That was just stupid.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
About the only top tier prospects I'd be willing to deal Staal for are Tarasenko and Granlund. Doubt we would be able to get either one though. Having said that, Saad's stock has skyrocketed since the draft. Kid is going to be a good one. Lots of people forget he was a legit top 10 pick before getting sick.
I wouldn't rule out Tara. Supposedly the Blues loved Staal during his draft year, Hitch has a rep with Russians and Staals just his type of player. Its the other parts that are the sticking points IMO.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Thanks for posting that. Its fun to talk trade but in the end I love that the Pens can put out one of those three beasts for about :20 mins a night.

Plus there is plenty of dead money on the Pens. Get rid of it and put it in better places.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
cassius

From ESPN

Quote:
Calls about Staal

Teams have begun to call the Pittsburgh Penguins about Jordan Staal. That’s not to say the Penguins are looking to move him, though.

I believe the plan for the Penguins is to try to extend both Staal and Sidney Crosby once they’re allowed to begin talks the first week of July -- both players are one year from unrestricted free agency. If the Penguins can pull it off -- get both signed -- I think they’re fine keeping the big three together (Evgeni Malkin has two more years on his deal).

read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-on-sabbatical

Old
06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's get a new Staal thread going. 1k again.

Closed Thread