HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It'd certainly help us out if we were trading his RFA rights. More teams could afford him and we wouldn't be under the gun to move him by the end of summer.

But playing 7 seasons in the league is more than enough time imo to be in UFA status.
If Shero plans on moving him, I really hope he can do it before July 1st.

It may not be possible, but hopefully he can.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Well it's 7 full seasons or 28. It has to be our you would be punishing players who were good enough to get into the league earlier than projected.
No I know I really have no leg to stand on but still...23? I mean he's more than earned that right, but it's a hell of a playing card for a 23 year old.

In other words, **** my life

Old
05-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I can't find where I posted it but considering that Neal is a 40/40 guy and just got $5M, and Staal hasn't scored 30G or 30A in his career (let alone in the same season), pretty much indicates he is not worth $6M. And before we throw out the "Yah but he played with TK" argument, I doubt there's anyone in here who would suggest playing on Malkin's wing, that Staal would score 81 points (including 40G) like Neal did this year.

Staal is valuable, he is still improving and he has yet to reach his apex, but he's not yet worth $6M a year. It boils down to numbers in the NHL and the numbers aren't there yet.
Yes. But as you said he's still progressing, and progressing being a number 1 or 2 for another team will most likely see them give him his progression contract, as if, he's playing with line 1/2 caliber wingers will drive him up to his potential 70/80 points. Playing that role 100% of the time.

It's like when Staal signed his current contract where they payed for his progression and is a steal if he could have been 100% healthy putting up great/better numbers with each passing season.

Neal saw he could be here a long time playing with one of the top two centers in the league, on the top or 2nd line and he took a discount to make sure he can do it. Had he hit the open market after the season he had, he'd most likely garnish that 6.0 to 6.5 cap hit.

Staal most likely will never displace either of Sid or Geno as a #1/#2 center and on a lot of teams he would be just that. A GM/owner would see what he has done over the last couple years improving his overall game, saying, he has more potential if he's the one playing with a Kunitz & Neal tandem fulltime will increase his offensive potential to 60/80 is well worth 6.0/6.5. If he becomes a steady 70/80 guy that 6.0/6.5 would become a steal if they sign'em to a 5 or 5+ year deal.

Staal at 4.0 the last 2 seasons is a steal for what he has produced, and it's a shame that progression was stunted with injuries.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Here is the deal. Staal and Martin to Toronto for Schenn, Kulemin, McKegg, and their #1. They would have to probably free some space up to do it, but Burke loves Paul Martin. We need some young Center depth, and a young nasty D-man.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Here is the deal. Staal and Martin to Toronto for Schenn, Kulemin, McKegg, and their #1. They would have to probably free some space up to do it, but Burke loves Paul Martin. We need some young Center depth, and a young nasty D-man.
I love Greg McKegg. I have no clue if he's a good prospect but he looked good when I watched the Otters last season once or twice. And his name is Kegger. That's good stuff.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I love Greg McKegg. I have no clue if he's a good prospect but he looked good when I watched the Otters last season once or twice. And his name is Kegger. That's good stuff.
He is their 6th ranked prospect, and they already have 2 centers ahead of him.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If Shero plans on moving him, I really hope he can do it before July 1st.

It may not be possible, but hopefully he can.
If we're not resigning him, I'll be pissed if he's not traded in a quality package. You can't lose him for nothing, you just can't.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:01 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If we're not resigning him, I'll be pissed if he's not traded in a quality package. You can't lose him for nothing, you just can't.
I think that is something we can all get behind. I personally would rather overpay him by 3 million dollars than lose him outright. That would be a Greek tragedy.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
He is their 6th ranked prospect, and they already have 2 centers ahead of him.
if we can get a guy named Kegger AND get an intradevision replacement for the brothers drinking game in Schenn Shero pretty much has to pull the trigger.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't want to acquire Greg McKegg. His name itself is enough to annoy the hell out of me. Although the nickname is pretty sweet. I guess that makes up for it somewhat...

Old
05-11-2012, 04:52 PM
JTG

Of all the first names in the world, why on God's green earth would his parents pick Greg, and think that would lead to anything aside from bad places?

I could only imagine the torture that guy had growing up. Parents like that need punched.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't want to acquire Greg McKegg. His name itself is enough to annoy the hell out of me. Although the nickname is pretty sweet. I guess that makes up for it somewhat...
Quote:
Of all the first names in the world, why on God's green earth would his parents pick Greg, and think that would lead to anything aside from bad places?

I could only imagine the torture that guy had growing up. Parents like that need punched.
what are you talking about? That is a great name. If we trade for him I will drive to erie and buy a McKegg Otters jersey

Old
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
JTG

You must have grown up in a different environment than I did. If a kid named Greg McKegg went to my school growing up, he would have been tormented.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
You must have grown up in a different environment than I did. If a kid named Greg McKegg went to my school growing up, he would have been tormented.
I don't see how you'd be tormented. Sure it rhymes but aside from being a bit annoying I don't see how having a rhyming name leads to being tormented. Rhyming with other words is the one that gets you. It doesn't sound like anything bad. Everyone ever named Richard has probably had to deal with way worse than he did

Anyway, the nickname Kegger would trump any negatives of the name.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
PenguinTommy

In my humble opinion, Shero will look for a more proven player, with the equal value as Staal has, immidiate impact, no down-years, signed, filling our needs.

- So I think it would be more one-for-one trade, than small pieces.
- He won't look for draft picks for Staal.
- He won't look for Staal replacement on center.
- I doubt he would take offers like Kulemin + Schenn, etc. unless it's the best offer available!
- He would like to move him to the Western Conference.

Then you have to find a team, who :

- would want Staal
- can re-sign him
- can afford to loose a player for him, Shero's looking for
- Staal would re-sign with them

From all 30 teams, I put this list of all players, who match those criteria I mentioned above. I found THREE players and the only ONE who fits perfectly and make sense for both sides (a'la Neal-Goligoski trade) :

1. Patrick Sharp - 30yo - 5.9M caphit - signed for the next 5 years - RH - RW/C

- Chicago needs a center like Staal
- They can afford to loose player like Sharp
- In top-6 they would have Toews - Hossa, Staal - Kane (Bolland as 3C) = Selke down the middle
- Patty Sharp is basically what we need in forward = Leadership, RH, Winger (center if needed), experiences, the cup
- Chicago is a great city to live
- Hawks are contenders
- Staal could be interested in signing with them

NOTE: People ask for P.Kane. Honestly, I would NOT want a guy who acts like a child off the ice. He would hurt our organisation, IMO.

2. Alexander Edler - 26yo - 3.25M caphit - signed for 1 more season - LH - D

- I read some speculations about Kesler being moved to wing if the right center is brought to Vancouver. But they have to move Kesler on the wing or it doesn't make sense at all.
- They have over 9M cap space (based on 64.3M salary cap) and they need to re-sign Schneider, but will trade Luongo (probably)
- Edler is the only Dman who can fit, has the great value, is young, LH and the only Dman who can be traded
- Vancouver is great city, Canucks are contenders, could be fine for Staal to sign there

3. Bobby Ryan - 25yo - 5.1M caphit - signed for the next 3 seasons - RH - RW

- Ryan is great fit, there's no doubt. RH shot, amazing hands, big body, signed, former 2nd overall in Sid's draft

- The question is, would the Ducks be interested in trading Ryan. They are looking for a center to play WITH Ryan, Ducks fans have been right on this. Plus, they signed Koivu for the next season. Unless they want to put Saku on a 3rd line..

- Ducks have internal budget but definitely have cap space for Staal's new contract

- Anaheim is in Cali, so it's a great place to live, but would Staal be willing to sign with the Ducks. They played poorly this season.

So there you have it..

IMO, if none of such a players are offered for Staal, only after that would Shero look for packages, like have been mentioned in here.

Shero could get picks for Goligoski but wasn't looking for them. I doubt he would look for high picks in the trade for Staal !!! He needs to make a better team NOW.

PS: You can find a lot of players who could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh. But either they're team's Letangs, or the only franchise players, or they have bigger value than Staal.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
In my humble opinion, Shero will look for a more proven player, with the equal value as Staal has, immidiate impact, no down-years, signed, filling our needs.

- I doubt he would take offers like Kulemin + Schenn, etc. unless it's the best offer available!

- would want Staal
- can re-sign him

From all 30 teams, I put this list of all players, who match those criteria I mentioned above. I found THREE players and the only ONE who fits perfectly and make sense for both sides (a'la Neal-Goligoski trade) :

- In top-6 they would have Toews - Hossa, Staal - Kane (Bolland as 3C) = Selke down the middle
- Patty Sharp is basically what we need in forward = Leadership, RH, Winger (center if needed), experiences, the cup
- Hawks are contenders

NOTE: People ask for P.Kane. Honestly, I would NOT want a guy who acts like a child off the ice. He would hurt our organisation, IMO.

- I read some speculations about Kesler being moved to wing if the right center is brought to Vancouver. But they have to move Kesler on the wing or it doesn't make sense at all.
- They have over 9M cap space (based on 64.3M salary cap) and they need to re-sign Schneider, but will trade Luongo (probably)
- Edler is the only Dman who can fit, has the great value, is young, LH and the only Dman who can be traded
- Vancouver is great city, Canucks are contenders, could be fine for Staal to sign there

- Ryan is great fit, there's no doubt. RH shot, amazing hands, big body, signed, former 2nd overall in Sid's draft

- The question is, would the Ducks be interested in trading Ryan. They are looking for a center to play WITH Ryan, Ducks fans have been right on this. Plus, they signed Koivu for the next season. Unless they want to put Saku on a 3rd line..

- Ducks have internal budget but definitely have cap space for Staal's new contract

- Anaheim is in Cali, so it's a great place to live, but would Staal be willing to sign with the Ducks. They played poorly this season.

So there you have it..

IMO, if none of such a players are offered for Staal, only after that would Shero look for packages, like have been mentioned in here.

Shero could get picks for Goligoski but wasn't looking for them. I doubt he would look for high picks in the trade for Staal !!! He needs to make a better team NOW.

PS: You can find a lot of players who could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh. But either they're team's Letangs, or the only franchise players, or they have bigger value than Staal.
I would love any of those players. And I completely agree about Patty Kane. I just don't like his face.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:27 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:

- would want Staal
- can re-sign him

- Hawks are contenders

So there you have it..

I would love Edler, I will never get tired of saying this, it is my fave one on one trade easily.

As for the Hawks, Sharp has a new contract kick in next season with an NMC, words can't really explain how ****** I think it would be of the Hawks to trade him days before that, as he is a bona fide veteran and not a short term deadline acquisition. That said, they need a 2C so desperately it is not even funny. Not sure I really like that deal though. PKane needs to stay away though.

Ryan's fine. I could get into that.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I would love Edler, I will never get tired of saying this, it is my fave one on one trade easily.

As for the Hawks, Sharp has a new contract kick in next season with an NMC, words can't really explain how ****** I think it would be of the Hawks to trade him days before that, as he is a bona fide veteran and not a short term deadline acquisition. That said, they need a 2C so desperately it is not even funny. Not sure I really like that deal though. PKane needs to stay away though.

I could see them talking to Sharp about it first. I could also see him being alright with being traded to a team where he'll be centered by one of the 2 best centers in the world. You know, for the good of Chicago.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
As for the Hawks, Sharp has a new contract kick in next season with an NMC, words can't really explain how ****** I think it would be of the Hawks to trade him days before that, as he is a bona fide veteran and not a short term deadline acquisition. That said, they need a 2C so desperately it is not even funny. Not sure I really like that deal though.
Yeah it would be drastic move for Hawks to trade Sharp but it's a business. If you want a rarity on the trading block like Staal is, plus he fits their need 100%, you have to send some value the other way.

The fact is, they can afford to loose a player like Sharp, IMO. He's valuable, but if he's traded, Hawks would still have 2 amazing top 6 wingers in Kane and Hossa. Stalberg is good winger as well. Plus, they have prospects like Saad, Morin, McNeill.

Speaking of Sharp's NMC..it's NMC/modified-NTC, maybe some list of teams where he would not want to go. It starts July 1. And I would be so surprised if Pens are on Patty's list where he doesn't want to be traded.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
sexyllama

Quote:

I would think the Ryan trade does make sense. Ducks have Palmieri AND Etem coming up. I know a few mags have them ranked very very highly and they are all RW's.

Would Staal for the Ducks RW prospects + Defense work? Hmm...

I like Sharp but would prefer a younger player.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Yeah it would be drastic move for Hawks to trade Sharp but it's a business. If you want a rarity on the trading block like Staal is, plus he fits their need 100%, you have to send some value the other way.

The fact is, they can afford to loose a player like Sharp, IMO. He's valuable, but if he's traded, Hawks would still have 2 amazing top 6 wingers in Kane and Hossa. Stalberg is good winger as well. Plus, they have prospects like Saad, Morin, McNeill.

Speaking of Sharp's NMC..it's NMC/modified-NTC, maybe some list of teams where he would not want to go. It starts July 1. And I would be so surprised if Pens are on Patty's list where he doesn't want to be traded.
Yeah, I am still on our side, . I'd like to see Sharp with Sid. Was just being kinda soft on how to treat players that won you the cup, I guess, just like I would not like to see Pens exile Jordan to Columbus solely for financial gains.

If Hossa comes back at 100%, there is no way a real scoring two way center makes less sense for the Hawks than Sharp. Right now they are playing chicken with starting Kane there, which is just the stupidest thing ever.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:

He's got a brother named Craig and a sister named Meg.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
JTG

Eh I may have laughed a bit. Just maybe

Old
05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Moebius

If Shero can get Edler for Staal, he's got to do it. I think he would fit well here, and he'll get better with age. Signing him won't be cheap, but imagine Letang, Edler, Despres, and Morrow in the top four. Probably the best D in the league in a few years.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:
Burke might love Martin but he won't do that deal. Martin won't be going there whilst they have Komisarek. They're paying enough on 1D without adding to another.

Closed Thread