HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Of all the first names in the world, why on God's green earth would his parents pick Greg, and think that would lead to anything aside from bad places?

I could only imagine the torture that guy had growing up. Parents like that need punched.

There is a poker player named Huckleberry Seed. And he has siblings ... I know for sure that he has one named Leif ... according to Doyle Brunson, other siblings are named Cotton and Mulberry.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:48 PM
JTG

There's also the Nascar driver Dick Trickle.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

His nickname was "Ugly".

Old
05-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
what are you talking about? That is a great name. If we trade for him I will drive to erie and buy a McKegg Otters jersey
Hasn't played for Erie for bout half the season.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:06 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
I would think the Ryan trade does make sense. Ducks have Palmieri AND Etem coming up. I know a few mags have them ranked very very highly and they are all RW's.

Would Staal for the Ducks RW prospects + Defense work? Hmm...

I like Sharp but would prefer a younger player.
Imagine you're Ducks GM and you trade Ryan. Yes, you would have Staal, but would you put TWO prospects, one who played 20 or so games in the NHL, and the second who has NEVER played a single game in the NHL into the top 6?

You can't put 2 rookies into the top-6.. unless it's Yakupov, you can't do it. In two years, yes. Now, I would be surprised.

And Sharp is 30. It's not 25, indeed. But still have good years in front of him. Flower will be 28 this year. Is he old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Yeah, I am still on our side, . I'd like to see Sharp with Sid. Was just being kinda soft on how to treat players that won you the cup, I guess, just like I would not like to see Pens exile Jordan to Columbus solely for financial gains.

If Hossa comes back at 100%, there is no way a real scoring two way center makes less sense for the Hawks than Sharp. Right now they are playing chicken with starting Kane there, which is just the stupidest thing ever.
Kane is a moron. As good as player he is, he's so stupid and childish. I don't know if I have ever seen such a talented player doing big stupid things.

One mistake can be forgiven, but twice? He's making Hawks organisation a very bad name.

That was my the only question mark in Sharp's possible trade. Maybe Hawks would rather trade Kane and keep Sharp, because of his stupid behavior.

But on-topic.. I would love Sharp in here. It's all pros and no cons. The rarity.

Shero's been always in love with leaders and veterans with lot of experiences.
Sharp won a cup, he can play either wing plus can play C on a regular basis if any injuries happen. He kills penalties. RH shooter. And he's still 30. 8-10 years ahead of him. What else do you want from a player.

If Bowman calls Shero about Staal, it's really big chance Ray will ask for Sharp. He just loves leadership.

That's why I think, if none of those players are available, Shero would prefer Iginla more than small pieces like Kulemin !

Old
05-11-2012, 07:09 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
There's also the Nascar driver Dick Trickle.
There's a big time college football recruit named Dee Liner. Guess what position he plays?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...e-Liner-124370

----------------

I'd love Edler or Ryan, obviously, and I really like Sharp, but 5.9M a year until he's 35 years old? Don't see Shero going for that one.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I think that is something we can all get behind. I personally would rather overpay him by 3 million dollars than lose him outright. That would be a Greek tragedy.
Again, froods, this is why I think Shero listens. People have mentioned Toronto and other teams. BUT, the deals discussed are, for the most part, what I'd call Richards plus a premium returns. I think this is what Shero is looking for. He gets it, then he probably pulls the trigger. He doesn't, and come July 1 he gives Staal that low 6M number it probably will take and deals with the fallout later (maybe he moves two of the top three paid defensemen or, heaven forbid, again goes with a Sullivan type, Dupuis, Cooke, and Kennedy all in the top nine).

Old
05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
There's a big time college football recruit named Dee Liner. Guess what position he plays?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...e-Liner-124370

----------------

I'd love Edler or Ryan, obviously, and I really like Sharp, but 5.9M a year until he's 35 years old? Don't see Shero going for that one.
Best name in hockey: Bear Trapp

http://www.sacredheartpioneers.com/s...pp_bear00.html

Old
05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
In my humble opinion, Shero will look for a more proven player, with the equal value as Staal has, immidiate impact, no down-years, signed, filling our needs.

- So I think it would be more one-for-one trade, than small pieces.
- He won't look for draft picks for Staal.
- He won't look for Staal replacement on center.
- I doubt he would take offers like Kulemin + Schenn, etc. unless it's the best offer available!
- He would like to move him to the Western Conference.

Then you have to find a team, who :

- would want Staal
- can re-sign him
- can afford to loose a player for him, Shero's looking for
- Staal would re-sign with them

From all 30 teams, I put this list of all players, who match those criteria I mentioned above. I found THREE players and the only ONE who fits perfectly and make sense for both sides (a'la Neal-Goligoski trade) :

1. Patrick Sharp - 30yo - 5.9M caphit - signed for the next 5 years - RH - RW/C

- Chicago needs a center like Staal
- They can afford to loose player like Sharp
- In top-6 they would have Toews - Hossa, Staal - Kane (Bolland as 3C) = Selke down the middle
- Patty Sharp is basically what we need in forward = Leadership, RH, Winger (center if needed), experiences, the cup
- Chicago is a great city to live
- Hawks are contenders
- Staal could be interested in signing with them

NOTE: People ask for P.Kane. Honestly, I would NOT want a guy who acts like a child off the ice. He would hurt our organisation, IMO.

2. Alexander Edler - 26yo - 3.25M caphit - signed for 1 more season - LH - D

- I read some speculations about Kesler being moved to wing if the right center is brought to Vancouver. But they have to move Kesler on the wing or it doesn't make sense at all.
- They have over 9M cap space (based on 64.3M salary cap) and they need to re-sign Schneider, but will trade Luongo (probably)
- Edler is the only Dman who can fit, has the great value, is young, LH and the only Dman who can be traded
- Vancouver is great city, Canucks are contenders, could be fine for Staal to sign there

3. Bobby Ryan - 25yo - 5.1M caphit - signed for the next 3 seasons - RH - RW

- Ryan is great fit, there's no doubt. RH shot, amazing hands, big body, signed, former 2nd overall in Sid's draft

- The question is, would the Ducks be interested in trading Ryan. They are looking for a center to play WITH Ryan, Ducks fans have been right on this. Plus, they signed Koivu for the next season. Unless they want to put Saku on a 3rd line..

- Ducks have internal budget but definitely have cap space for Staal's new contract

- Anaheim is in Cali, so it's a great place to live, but would Staal be willing to sign with the Ducks. They played poorly this season.

So there you have it..

IMO, if none of such a players are offered for Staal, only after that would Shero look for packages, like have been mentioned in here.

Shero could get picks for Goligoski but wasn't looking for them. I doubt he would look for high picks in the trade for Staal !!! He needs to make a better team NOW.

PS: You can find a lot of players who could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh. But either they're team's Letangs, or the only franchise players, or they have bigger value than Staal.
Ducks can't move Ryan for Staal. Even if they wanted to, how exactly does a team on a budget trade for Staal, give him north of 6.5M on July 1, and then open negotiations with Getzlaf and Perry on extensions? Just doesn't seem to work . . .

Edler would be value, but that takes a Pens weakness (the talent in their top nine after Sid and Geno) and makes it even weaker.

As for Sharp, IMO, it would have to be Sharp+. Something could be workable. BUT, if you're going to pay Sharp 5.9M, then why not give Staal 6.2M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
If Shero can get Edler for Staal, he's got to do it. I think he would fit well here, and he'll get better with age. Signing him won't be cheap, but imagine Letang, Edler, Despres, and Morrow in the top four. Probably the best D in the league in a few years.
If you get Edler, then you absolutely have to move Martin AND Michalek or Orpik. The only way moving Staal works is if you have two legitimately good wingers each for Sid and Geno. Right now, the Pens have two total.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Ducks can't move Ryan for Staal. Even if they wanted to, how exactly does a team on a budget trade for Staal, give him north of 6.5M on July 1, and then open negotiations with Getzlaf and Perry on extensions? Just doesn't seem to work . . .
I wrote about that ...

Quote:
As for Sharp, IMO, it would have to be Sharp+. Something could be workable. BUT, if you're going to pay Sharp 5.9M, then why not give Staal 6.2M?
I don't understand your question, to be honest with you...

The whole "Staal being traded" speculation came from the facts where Staal doesn't want to be 3rd line center anymore.

There's no way he would sign here to be WINGER nor 3C !!! Honestly, he would be stupid if he does.

IF Staal wants to be 2nd line CENTER at worst, he's gonna be traded.

I don't want to see Staal being paid 6.2M as a 3rd line center NOR being winger. The same goes with Malkin.

So if you ask me, I would rather pay 5.9M to a regular winger, RH, with experiences, signed for the next 5 years, 30-goals scorer, great penalty-killer, center if needed, than paying 6.2M for Staal.... and basically, it's no place for him on this team.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post

Because Sharp is a better wing than Staal. Let me rephrase that. Because Sharp is a wing and Staal isn't.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:55 PM
AgentM

Quote:
1. Patrick Sharp - 30yo - 5.9M caphit - signed for the next 5 years - RH - RW/C
Love everything about Sharp except for his age. Will he still be worth that cap hit in 5 seasons?

Quote:
2. Alexander Edler - 26yo - 3.25M caphit - signed for 1 more season - LH - D
I jumped on this bandwagon when it popped up too. We would need to get this trade done before July 1st so that we could be ready to jump on at least one top 6 winger the second free agency starts.

Quote:
3. Bobby Ryan - 25yo - 5.1M caphit - signed for the next 3 seasons - RH - RW
He's the ideal fit on this team, not much more to say about it. You have to do this trade if it's available

But what about T.J. Oshie from St Louis? He's gaining traction as a good option in a trade as another RH shot that can play wing or center and he kills penalties. I'd like to see him putting up better goal totals, but his shooting percentage is a healthy 11.5% and its pretty consistent year to year, he just needs to take more shots (Neal can show him how its done haha). I personally think St. Louis would have to add to make it even though as Staal is younger and has produced more. Maybe a 2nd round pick added to Oshie?

Old
05-12-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Love everything about Sharp except for his age. Will he still be worth that cap hit in 5 seasons?
There can be other parts to that trade though like Staal and Martin for Sharp and Frolik. If the Hawks can make Martin fit under their cap then I would be all over a trade like that.

Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp
Frolik-Malkin-Neal

Thats a pretty bad ass top 6 right there.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
There is a poker player named Huckleberry Seed. And he has siblings ... I know for sure that he has one named Leif ... according to Doyle Brunson, other siblings are named Cotton and Mulberry.
Anytime weird names comes up, my all-time favorite is Wheaton King who ended up playing junior hockey for the Brandon Wheat Kings. Talk about fate from the cradle.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Absolutely no to Sharp. Too expensive and too many years left for a guy his age.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Let us not forget that great Puritan minister Cotton Mather and his father Increase Mather

Old
05-12-2012, 06:29 AM
dannyj10

Say the Pens do trade Staal what do you see being our 3rd line?
Dupis/TK/Cooke?

Old
05-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
Dupis/TK/Cooke?
Jeffrey or someone not currently on the team will be the 3rd line center if we trade Staal.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:29 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:

But what about T.J. Oshie from St Louis? Maybe a 2nd round pick added to Oshie?
Well.. He re-signed with the Hawks during the season. So either Bowman is idiot or he'll be worth that money even when he's 35. You choose

I would be more than fine to get Oshie + for Staal. But we really need that RH one-timer for the PP. Sadly, Oshie more "in-front of the goal" player. But I like him a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Absolutely no to Sharp. Too expensive and too many years left for a guy his age.
He's not too expensive. He's worth EVERY penny. Just watch him play time by time. He's great defensively PLUS he can score 30 goals a and hit 70 points.

Neal got less, but it's less than his market value. Plus, Neal is nowhere near to Sharp defensively. And wouldn't be surprised to see Sharp being as good offensively with Sid as Nealer with Geno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
Dupis/TK/Cooke?
Some 3rd line centers could be available. You can sign Moore for cheap. He got 1.1M this season. Gaustad will be available. Jim Slater, Chris Kelly.. I think you can find some and don't have to pay too much.

And speaking of Sharp's age. Guys, he's 30. As I said, Flower will be 28 this year. Are they old? You really don't think Sharp won't be worth that money when he'll be 35?

It reminds me some hate in here about Iginla. He'll be 35. Pronger was signed to a new contract as 35yo, Recchi was productive in his 40. Selanne ditto.

And I still didn't go that far, I'm still speaking about 34-35 years old guy who could be a winger for Sid. Right now, he's got market value. In 2-3 years he could be cheap.

Finally I want to say, my "list" wasn't about what I want. It's more about what's the most realistic scenario.

If you ask me, we should rather prefer one impact player than package of eg. Kulemin+prospect+pick

Thank God, Shero isn't that type of GM who would look for picks and maybes and players after their downyears. No IFS no MAYBES. You have to be 100% sure that the return will help you since the day 1. No waiting, no development. UNLESS we are going to sign Ryan Suter, we can't afford to trade player who is blockbuster material for fine players. It has to be blockbuster trade. Great asset/-s from BOTH sides.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
There can be other parts to that trade though like Staal and Martin for Sharp and Frolik. If the Hawks can make Martin fit under their cap then I would be all over a trade like that.

Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp
Frolik-Malkin-Neal

Thats a pretty bad ass top 6 right there.
What happened to Frolik? Did he get hurt or something? He went from a 20/20 guy his first to years to putting up 15 points this past season. That said I'd be okay with him as a reclamation project if those that watch him a lot think that our system could be the remedy for his goal scoring problems.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
What happened to Frolik? Did he get hurt or something? He went from a 20/20 guy his first to years to putting up 15 points this past season. That said I'd be okay with him as a reclamation project if those that watch him a lot think that our system could be the remedy for his goal scoring problems.
I think he got caught up in a pretty deep wing situation with the Hawks and there's not enough grind to his game to be a bottom 6.

He's kind of a skinny kid and plays a euro game but I think he can still take away some flaws. I still like him though and he's actually a hard working active player sort of like Voracek. There are parts of his game that remind me of Elias. He's really smart about how he moves the puck in the neutral zone and I think he would fit right in playing off Crosby or Malkin.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I think he got caught up in a pretty deep wing situation with the Hawks and there's not enough grind to his game to be a bottom 6.

He's kind of a skinny kid and plays a euro game but I think he can still take away some flaws. I still like him though and he's actually a hard working active player sort of like Voracek. There are parts of his game that remind me of Elias. He's really smart about how he moves the puck in the neutral zone and I think he would fit right in playing off Crosby or Malkin.
Maybe that is all it was, but his shooting percentage was putrid these past two years. Has he been snake bitten? Not playing with guys that can help him get into good scoring situations?

Well if he's smart/talented enough to play some give and go and help our centers get some space then I'd be happy. Does he carry the puck much or is he like Neal and Sykora where he's best finding scoring areas w/o the puck?

Old
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Guy just out of the shot on the right is "Dykes".

Old
05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Not really a Frolik fan. He seems like one of those players that always leaves you wanting more but you never get it. He also strikes me as a guy that will always be a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:12 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Not really a Frolik fan. He seems like one of those players that always leaves you wanting more but you never get it. He also strikes me as a guy that will always be a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
Yeah, I agree. I'm sure I'd be fine with him if he were already on the roster, but I don't think he's a guy you actively try to acquire.

Closed Thread