HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron MacLean compares hockey players to 9/11 heroes

Old
05-10-2012, 03:58 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Ron MacLean compares hockey players to 9/11 heroes

For anyone who watched the HNIC opener last night (this article talks about it) :

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/09/...11-controversy

Ron MacLean compares the Caps and Rangers hockey players to the police officers and firefighters who came to the rescue on 9/11. MacLean is usually pretty respectable, but I found this comparison both ridiculous and offensive. Hockey players are nothing like those heroes from that day, and to compare the two really is a pathetic attempt to cheapen what those brave men and women did that day. I normally respect MacLean for his views, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that rant.

What do you all think?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

The mass moral hysteria when people compare things to other things makes me chuckle.

Fact is, comparing things is just an operation of the mind. It doesn't do anything. You can compare things which are unlike each other either in regards to nature or degree, why would that be a problem? That is, if you have a clear mind and are able to think rationally and aren't raised like minefield of possible ways to be offended about things.

7 > 5, look compared two different numbers

Hitler is like Stephen Harper because neither sport a beard...

I say atta' boy MacLean on a fantastic comparison.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:33 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
The mass moral hysteria when people compare things to other things makes me chuckle.

Fact is, comparing things is just an operation of the mind. It doesn't do anything. You can compare things which are unlike each other either in regards to nature or degree, why would that be a problem? That is, if you have a clear mind and are able to think rationally and aren't raised like minefield of possible ways to be offended about things.

Not sure if serious...

Old
05-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
For anyone who watched the HNIC opener last night (this article talks about it) :

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/09/...11-controversy

Ron MacLean compares the Caps and Rangers hockey players to the police officers and firefighters who came to the rescue on 9/11. MacLean is usually pretty respectable, but I found this comparison both ridiculous and offensive. Hockey players are nothing like those heroes from that day, and to compare the two really is a pathetic attempt to cheapen what those brave men and women did that day. I normally respect MacLean for his views, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that rant.

What do you all think?
Manufactured outrage. Who gives a flying ****.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:32 AM
The King of Town

It's more ignorant than anything else.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Hockey players are nothing like those heroes from that day
I know what Maclean said, and he didn't say anything that came close to suggesting that hockey players are "like", "as heroic as", "deserve the same respect", or whatever else you and everyone else going out of their way to take offense to this mother-of-all-non-issues may have hallucinated having heard.

EDIT: I apparently have poor listening comprehension - he did say that they are "like" policemen an firefighters. But it was clear in how he said it that he wasn't comparing playing hockey to running into a building that was just hit by a commercial airliner. He gave specific examples of how the two can be likened, and there's nothing wrong with what he said.

Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 05-10-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:50 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Maclean has taken his little before game talks a bit to seriously for awhile and often its embarrasing.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I know what Maclean said, and he didn't say anything that came close to suggesting that hockey players are "like", "as heroic as", "deserve the same respect", or whatever else you and everyone else going out of their way to take offense to this mother-of-all-non-issues may have hallucinated having heard.
MacLean said at the very beginning of his comments that you can't compare first responders to NHL players, but then he immediately proceeded to do just that. I agree that his comments are probably a non-issue; however, I just find Ron MacLean annoying and his comments last night were just another example of MacLean trying to draw attention to himself. It's symbolic of the entire HNIC broadcast these days.

Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
MacLean said at the very beginning of his comments that you can't compare first responders to NHL players, but then he immediately proceeded to do just that. I agree that his comments are probably a non-issue; however, I just find Ron MacLean annoying and his comments last night were just another example of MacLean trying to draw attention to himself. It's symbolic of the entire HNIC broadcast these days.
Just edited my post to draw attention to my poor listening skills - I guess my ex-girlfriend was right

Why do you assume that it's Maclean "just trying to draw attention to himself"? The whole point of the montage before the game, the dramatic music that plays over the aerial shots of the city they're playing in, Maclean's monologue at the start of the broadcast - all that pomp and circumstance is there to make us feel like we're part of something immense and special, and they do a great job of convincing us that a hockey game is a lot more important than it actually is.

Even if it is all a little over-the-top, I'll take that over "Good evening, here's a hockey game. Watch this and then go buy the stuff you see in the commercials."

Old
05-10-2012, 08:33 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

It is getting to the point of idiocy the comments made by hockey commentators these days, particularly on CBC. It seems the slightest action made by a hockey player, particularly one they seem to have chosen as their man-crush (see any in-game comments about Ryan Callahan for example) is blown a thousand times out of proportion. He throws a body check , and suddenly he's this legendary warrior, chiseled from stone, sacrificing himself for the betterment of the team, blah, blah, blah. The cheese factor is just immense. So cheesy that after watching such a broadcast, I feel both sick and bloated.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Nnelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post

Totally agree. Everyone whining over what he said - give it a rest! Anyone with half a brain knows the way in which Ron was using it as a comparison.

Some ppl have wayyyyy too much time on their hands.

Nnelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Macca

Quote:
Just edited my post to draw attention to my poor listening skills - I guess my ex-girlfriend was right

Why do you assume that it's Maclean "just trying to draw attention to himself"? The whole point of the montage before the game, the dramatic music that plays over the aerial shots of the city they're playing in, Maclean's monologue at the start of the broadcast - all that pomp and circumstance is there to make us feel like we're part of something immense and special, and they do a great job of convincing us that a hockey game is a lot more important than it actually is.

Even if it is all a little over-the-top, I'll take that over "Good evening, here's a hockey game. Watch this and then go buy the stuff you see in the commercials."
I happen to not like Ron MacLean. I believe he has a huge ego. I also don't particularly like the HNIC broadcast and most of their announcers - it's just my opinion. I'll take the TSN broadcast any day of the week. On the other hand, I couldn't care less what your ex-girlfriend thinks about your listening skills.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:16 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Manufactured outrage at its finest. I took it as the players approach these playoff games with the same intensity and work ethic that firefighters and police officers do with their work.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
jbeck5

1)People need to grow some and stop getting offended so easily.

2) It's been over 10 years.

Seriously though, if i stopped and listened to why everyone around me is offended by what, i would never be able to get on with my day. People are offended WAY to easily and it honestly needs to stop. 99% of the stuff people are offended about isn't even directed at them. Like common.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Nnelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Manufactured outrage at its finest. I took it as the players approach these playoff games with the same intensity and work ethic that firefighters and police officers do with their work.
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
1)People need to grow some and stop getting offended so easily.

2) It's been over 10 years.
...and Yup

Nnelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

What a stupid comment by Maclean. Comparing hockey players to people who went the extra mile on 9/11 to help save lives? Give me a break Maclean.

05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
What a stupid comment by Maclean. Comparing hockey players to people who went the extra mile on 9/11 to help save lives? Give me a break Maclean.
He said what they're doing is LIKE them. Not to the same extent. HUGE DIFFERENCE. What he meant by "like them" is that they're sacrificing themselves for the team. Obviously that doesn't mean potentially dying. Perhaps a broken bone...or a welt...

It's like me saying "25 cents is like a 20 dollar bill" in the sense they're both money. One however, is vastly superior to the other.

There is nothing wrong with the comment he made. The hockey players are LIKE the fire fighters because they're both sacrificing their body. Not because it's to the same extent. Jesus people!

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
You're hallucinating. He very clearly did not compare hockey players to the first responders on September 11. He compared them to firefighters and policemen in general, and the comparison he made, in the manner he made is, isn't incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
I happen to not like Ron MacLean. I believe he has a huge ego. I also don't particularly like the HNIC broadcast and most of their announcers - it's just my opinion. I'll take the TSN broadcast any day of the week. On the other hand, I couldn't care less what your ex-girlfriend thinks about your listening skills.
Looks like somebody forgot his sense of humour at home this morning...

Old
05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Someone mentioned 9/11?!?!

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Philadelphia Collins

I get pissed off when any sports commentators call athletes "warriors" or that "this game will be a WAR!"

no it won't, it's a game that they get paid millions of dollars to play

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
He said what they're doing is LIKE them. Not to the same extent. HUGE DIFFERENCE. What he meant by "like them" is that they're sacrificing themselves for the team. Obviously that doesn't mean potentially dying. Perhaps a broken bone...or a welt...

It's like me saying "25 cents is like a 20 dollar bill" in the sense they're both money. One however, is vastly superior to the other.

There is nothing wrong with the comment he made. The hockey players are LIKE the fire fighters because they're both sacrificing their body. Not because it's to the same extent. Jesus people!
The bottom line is that it was a bad analogy to make or attempt to make in the first place. MacLean had to know that making a 9/11 reference the way he did would offend many people and that his comments could be easily be misconstrued, especially by Americans. MacLean is an arrogant person but he's not stupid. I'm sure he'll do his big mea culpa on Saturday, a mea culpa he probably wrote immediately after writing his opening remarks last night.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Macca

Quote:

Looks like somebody forgot his sense of humour at home this morning...
Yeah, you're right, your ex-girlfriend comment was a good one...my apology

Old
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Romans12_12
Deal With It

To the OP:

Don't look for much sympathy for your cause around here. Although I agree with you that MacLean is a bonehead for saying something that is ACTUALLY offensive, most people around here (Canadian team boards specifically) despise the United States - and doubly despise it if the subject has anything to do with Terrorism/Military/George Bush/American Heroics overall.

Had Ron MacLean made the comparison to say, the responders of the Fukushima nuclear reactors, then people would be crawling out of the woodwork to assault him for his statement. The difference being the Japanese are good, Americans are evil imperialists who deserved to get attacked.

As an American I see this anti US sentiment all the time on these boards. I take it with a grain of salt because I recognize this is a Canadian team board and I am fully aware that the rest of the world pretty much hates us (except Poland, and all those other countries that actually appreciate what we do for them) including our good neighbors to the North.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:55 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 569
....who cares?

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

What a deplorable thing to say.

I mean, well, I personally was not offended, but it's conceivable to me that someone somewhere might possibly have taken offense.

Simply and utterly deplorable.

Needless to say I deplore it, as I deplore most deplorable things. What's more, I abhor it, as I abhor most abhorrent things.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote