HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron MacLean compares hockey players to 9/11 heroes

Old
05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
The King of Town

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I mean, well, I personally was not offended, but it's conceivable to me that someone somewhere might possibly have taken offense.
Glen Foster is that you?

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
The bottom line is that it was a bad analogy to make or attempt to make in the first place. MacLean had to know that making a 9/11 reference the way he did would offend many people and that his comments could be easily be misconstrued, especially by Americans. MacLean is an arrogant person but he's not stupid. I'm sure he'll do his big mea culpa on Saturday, a mea culpa he probably wrote immediately after writing his opening remarks last night.
Ron doesn't owe a 'mea culpa' to anyone. This whole I-have-a-right-to-be-offended-and-those-who-offend-me-must-apologize mentality that society takes has long since been out of hand. The only people who are offended are the people who are either hallucinating what they think he said, or are going out of their way to misconstrue what he said. You want to disagree with the analogy, fine. But to call it "offensive" because you disagree with it is just stupid.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Meh. Could've been a little more tactful. No need to draw a comparison to first responders on 9/11 or mention them at all really.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

They are entertainers, and no amount of blood, sweat, tears or participation in team mandated charity events is ever going to change that. It's all just branding. They work hard, and I give them credit for that...but lots of people work hard and it doesn't make them heroes.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
Glen Foster is that you?
You've seen his act too eh.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
For anyone who watched the HNIC opener last night (this article talks about it) :

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/09/...11-controversy

Ron MacLean compares the Caps and Rangers hockey players to the police officers and firefighters who came to the rescue on 9/11. MacLean is usually pretty respectable, but I found this comparison both ridiculous and offensive. Hockey players are nothing like those heroes from that day, and to compare the two really is a pathetic attempt to cheapen what those brave men and women did that day. I normally respect MacLean for his views, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that rant.

What do you all think?
And what would you say if he compared your team's players that way?

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Meh. Could've been a little more tactful. No need to draw a comparison to first responders on 9/11 or mention them at all really.
You're hallucinating. That's not what he did.

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
And what would you say if he compared your team's players that way?
I would be equally cheesed off. I will say it right now. Daniel Alfredsson is a loyal, well respected entertainer and gold medal winner in ice-hockey. His brother is more so a hero than he is.

Old
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Sadly like many on here when Ron started last night the first thing i could think of were all the bleeding hearts who would be all up in arms over his comments and attempt to twist them to fit their own agendas, its really really really tiring at this point.....this is a non issue, the slander spewed at Joel Ward via twitter etc...now that is an issue!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Elever
Hth

Did anyone hear (during the 2nd intermission I think when they were going to commercial) MacLean's joke about the Washington monument/obelisk? Lol that's the 2nd dirty one in a week. After that Andy chick finished the iDesk segment and they were showing Washington (with the monument), he said something like "how big do you think that is Andy, or actually I should ask PJ"....lol wtf?

Maybe I misunderstood it but I'm pretty sure he said what I think he did based on Kelly Hrudy bursting into hysterics.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

Obviously it is a sensitive topic and something that ties both cities together, but I'm sure MacLean didn't mean any disrespect. It was definitely not a wise comparison to use, but he was simply just saying how these players sacrifice themselves and give everything they got for one common goal, kind of like how those firefighters, police officers, etc put themselves on the line to try and save lives.

It goes without saying that there is a HUGE difference in playing a game to win the cup and risking your life to save others, which is why MacLean shouldn't have used this comparison, but in the end both players and heros are/were willing to do whatever it takes to achieve the one goal they had set out for.

Honestly I think what MacLean was trying to accomplish was to give an honorable mention to those heros, but he sure failed to deliver.

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 05-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.
RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Ron doesn't owe a 'mea culpa' to anyone. This whole I-have-a-right-to-be-offended-and-those-who-offend-me-must-apologize mentality that society takes has long since been out of hand. The only people who are offended are the people who are either hallucinating what they think he said, or are going out of their way to misconstrue what he said. You want to disagree with the analogy, fine. But to call it "offensive" because you disagree with it is just stupid.
No I said many people, especially Americans, could easily misconstrue what he said by his analogy and be offended by it. I never said I was personally offended by his comments. But then again, I never lost anyone close to me on 9/11. Maybe it's your comprehension skills and not your listening skills that is the problem here.

Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I suppose there are some loose similarities..

E.g. they both sacrified their bodies..

Other than that, I see no similarities..

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
I suppose there are some loose similarities..

E.g. they both sacrified their bodies..

Other than that, I see no similarities..
Will, determination, teamwork, sacrifice (bodies, mentality) for one common goal.

I'm sure I could string up a few more comparisons. Now the consequences are extreme opposites and why it's a sensitive topic.

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 05-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Bob Kudelski

He did not make the direct comparison to 911. He used 911 to link the idea of police and firefighters. He then made the comparison of certain hockey players to firefighters and police in general. It was poorly executed and he should have known that it would draw criticism.

That being said, he basically complimented those professions by using them as the golden standard for comparing to others who need to come through when they are needed the most. I don't agree with those who are all up in arms.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
He did not make the direct comparison to 911. He used 911 to link the idea of police and firefighters. He then made the comparison of certain hockey players to firefighters and police in general. It was poorly executed and he should have known that it would draw criticism.

That being said, he basically complimented those professions by using them as the golden standard for comparing to others who need to come through when they are needed the most. I don't agree with those who are all up in arms.
THIS.

He didn't call the players "heroes" or "as good as policemen/firefighters". He just made a poorly worded analogy.

People, untwist your undies.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

What's really ironic about this who alleged "controversy" is that we've always been told to look towards emergency personnel as people from whom we can draw inspiration, and use them as role models in our our day-to-day lives. That notion was emphasized after 9/11 with the images of firefighters escalating buring office towers that could collapse at any second. But the second anyone says "firefighters", "9/11", and "<insert mundane thing here>" in the same paragraph, it's all how-dare-you-tarnish-their-heroic-legacy and soforth.

Are we to look up to these people as points of inspiration, or not? We don't get to have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
No I said many people, especially Americans, could easily misconstrue what he said by his analogy and be offended by it. I never said I was personally offended by his comments. But then again, I never lost anyone close to me on 9/11. Maybe it's your comprehension skills and not your listening skills that is the problem here.
I referring more to the "general" you (ie. you should eat five servings of fruit a day), not you specifically. But your grumpiness is duly noted.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I would be equally cheesed off. I will say it right now. Daniel Alfredsson is a loyal, well respected entertainer and gold medal winner in ice-hockey. His brother is more so a hero than he is.
Sports does not reduce to entertainment, don't try to pull that.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Sports does not reduce to entertainment, don't try to pull that.
Lets hear your argument how professional sports is not entertainment. I'll wait.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Lets hear your argument how professional sports is not entertainment. I'll wait.
It is entertainment but it does not reduce to entertainment.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
alfiespezza
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
To the OP:

Don't look for much sympathy for your cause around here. Although I agree with you that MacLean is a bonehead for saying something that is ACTUALLY offensive, most people around here (Canadian team boards specifically) despise the United States - and doubly despise it if the subject has anything to do with Terrorism/Military/George Bush/American Heroics overall.

Had Ron MacLean made the comparison to say, the responders of the Fukushima nuclear reactors, then people would be crawling out of the woodwork to assault him for his statement. The difference being the Japanese are good, Americans are evil imperialists who deserved to get attacked.

As an American I see this anti US sentiment all the time on these boards. I take it with a grain of salt because I recognize this is a Canadian team board and I am fully aware that the rest of the world pretty much hates us (except Poland, and all those other countries that actually appreciate what we do for them) including our good neighbors to the North.
Wow, someone sounds bitter. It's not like Canadians went to help out and there were donation boxes all over the place after 9/11 or anything. We secretely celebrated your demise. Get over yourself dude.

alfiespezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
It is entertainment but it does not reduce to entertainment.
I don't see an explanation.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
I don't see an explanation.
My explanation for him there are various degrees of entertainment, there are sports, going to an art gallery is entertainment for some people, doing math is another for some people, watching WWE or Jersey Shore is another form of entertainment. I think our society ranks these all on various different levels, which are pretty easy to figure out.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiespezza View Post
Wow, someone sounds bitter. It's not like Canadians went to help out and there were donation boxes all over the place after 9/11 or anything. We secretely celebrated your demise. Get over yourself dude.
No he's right. I hate Americans and would gladly poop in one's mouth if the opportunity arose.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Proust

I, for one, was just outraged. Upon hearing the clumsy analogy, I felt a sudden restriction in my groin area. There was a burst of tension and movement, and I initially thought I had become aroused. A similar situation had transpired following Kyle Turris’ OT goal, but this was different. After about 10 minutes, I removed my PJs to investigate. My panties had become "bunched" and migrated into my anus. Exhausted, I typed a strongly-worded, exclamation point laden letter to the CBC. My panties relaxed, ever so slightly.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote