HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron MacLean compares hockey players to 9/11 heroes

Old
05-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I don't see an explanation.
Sports has virtues of competition that aren't entertainment strictly defined.

I don't really watch for mere entertainment, I want to watch because it's a competition between players who are the best at their craft. I want the games to decide who is the fastest, most skilled, most intelligent and with the best strategy.

If it was a artistic shootout where they don't keep the score and they don't declare a winner then it would be "mere entertainment". Or if it was like some brands of professional wrestling where the matches are fixed, scripted and rehearsed.

(btw here's an answer that I bumped off the last page a little quick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
My explanation for him there are various degrees of entertainment, there are sports, going to an art gallery is entertainment for some people, doing math is another for some people, watching WWE or Jersey Shore is another form of entertainment. I think our society ranks these all on various different levels, which are pretty easy to figure out.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Sports has virtues of competition that aren't entertainment strictly defined.

I don't really watch for mere entertainment, I want to watch because it's a competition between players who are the best at their craft. I want the games to decide who is the fastest, most skilled, most intelligent and with the best strategy.

If it was a artistic shootout where they don't keep the score and they don't declare a winner then it would be "mere entertainment". Or if it was like some brands of professional wrestling where the matches are fixed, scripted and rehearsed.
It reduces to entertainment in my eyes. Watching a hockey game(s) and devoting yourself to a specific team is no doubt a more substantive level of entertainment in comparison to something like Jersey Shore, I just don't reckon it makes it any less entertainment. Then you have to ask what Alfredsson contributes as an individual, disregarding the NHL as a whole. He goes out there and plays hard, and you take from it what you will. I am sure he is grateful.

Powdered Toast Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
To the OP:

Don't look for much sympathy for your cause around here. Although I agree with you that MacLean is a bonehead for saying something that is ACTUALLY offensive, most people around here (Canadian team boards specifically) despise the United States - and doubly despise it if the subject has anything to do with Terrorism/Military/George Bush/American Heroics overall.

Had Ron MacLean made the comparison to say, the responders of the Fukushima nuclear reactors, then people would be crawling out of the woodwork to assault him for his statement. The difference being the Japanese are good, Americans are evil imperialists who deserved to get attacked.

As an American I see this anti US sentiment all the time on these boards. I take it with a grain of salt because I recognize this is a Canadian team board and I am fully aware that the rest of the world pretty much hates us (except Poland, and all those other countries that actually appreciate what we do for them) including our good neighbors to the North.
I don't think that Americans are that hated around here, then again, I'm not American, and therefore not as sensitive to that as an American would be. To the people saying 'Get over it, its been 10 years!' , I say 'so what?' . There are a LOT of good people whose lives were either ended, or changed for the worse forever that day. Those who lost a parent, sibling, child, friend, or other family member will never get them back, never be able to say goodbye, and there will be a hole in their lives for the rest of their lives. If one of those people heard the people here dismissively saying 'Get over it' , it would understandably make them very angry. Though I'm lucky enough that I didn't lose anyone in those attacks, I'm cognizant that there are a lot of people that did, and we need to be sensitive to that.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
To the OP:

Don't look for much sympathy for your cause around here. Although I agree with you that MacLean is a bonehead for saying something that is ACTUALLY offensive, most people around here (Canadian team boards specifically) despise the United States - and doubly despise it if the subject has anything to do with Terrorism/Military/George Bush/American Heroics overall.

Had Ron MacLean made the comparison to say, the responders of the Fukushima nuclear reactors, then people would be crawling out of the woodwork to assault him for his statement. The difference being the Japanese are good, Americans are evil imperialists who deserved to get attacked.

As an American I see this anti US sentiment all the time on these boards. I take it with a grain of salt because I recognize this is a Canadian team board and I am fully aware that the rest of the world pretty much hates us (except Poland, and all those other countries that actually appreciate what we do for them) including our good neighbors to the North.
Not exactly sure if you are being serious or not.

I don't have any hatred towards our neighbors below. Hell, I often make the comparison that Canadians and Americans are the same people. Besides little regional differences we are no different in our lifestyles at all. The structure of our cities, our culture, our North American way of life and many other details remain the exact same between our two nations.

As for Maclean's comment. People are always looking to create an outrage over something. I highly doubt he was trying to tarnish the accomplishments of the brave individuals who rushed into the inferno, but rather was trying to drum up respect and support for hockey players.

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
referring more to the "general" you (ie. you should eat five servings of fruit a day), not you specifically. But your grumpiness is duly noted.

I'm not grumpy. I just have a different opinion than you. I am still allowed to have an opinion in this country. And as for the people who are offended by MacLean's comments, they have a right to be offended if that's how they feel. It doesn't make their feelings 'stupid' either as you so eloquently previously stated.

Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
It reduces to entertainment in my eyes. Watching a hockey game(s) and devoting yourself to a specific team is no doubt a more substantive level of entertainment in comparison to something like Jersey Shore, I just don't reckon it makes it any less entertainment. Then you have to ask what Alfredsson contributes as an individual, disregarding the NHL as a whole. He goes out there and plays hard, and you take from it what you will. I am sure he is grateful.
The thing is that there are people who practice sports where nobody watches them and they themselves don't even have fun doing it. (ie: The Phoenix Coyotes, or me when I play StarCraft 2 )

I know you said professional sports but the fact that people watch them and are also getting paid is just a matter of circumstance.

I don't even mean to say sports are "better" than entertainment. They just have some specificities that won't reduce to entertainment. Competition can exist outside of entertainment.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
I'm not grumpy. I just have a different opinion than you. I am still allowed to have an opinion in this country. And as for the people who are offended by MacLean's comments, they have a right to be offended if that's how they feel. It doesn't make their feelings 'stupid' either as you so eloquently previously stated.
These people only feel offended because they've hallucinated Maclean saying something that he didn't actually say, or just plain heard what they wanted to hear. If they were paying attention, they would have nothing to be offended about. That seems pretty stupid to me.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Kezia
egg

vCash: 50
People are way to sensitive.

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

You are not competing, you are watching someone else compete and getting vicarious enjoyment out of it.

Powdered Toast Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Philadelphia Collins

The real offensive thing is that Ron Maclean still makes these terrible little monologues before each playoff game

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
You're hallucinating. That's not what he did.
Sorry... read OP only and replied. That's what I get for posting quickly and lazily.

05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
"It's crazy to compare what the emergency responders did at that time."
He's saying that he's not comparing them directly, only a similarity in their spirit. Probably not the smartest thing to say, but this is such an irrelevant story. So much is going on the world, why waste time on this?

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
OneManArmy65*

I just love when people complain about things that have absolutely no bearing on their lives what so ever.

OneManArmy65* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
He said what they're doing is LIKE them. Not to the same extent. HUGE DIFFERENCE. What he meant by "like them" is that they're sacrificing themselves for the team. Obviously that doesn't mean potentially dying. Perhaps a broken bone...or a welt...

It's like me saying "25 cents is like a 20 dollar bill" in the sense they're both money. One however, is vastly superior to the other.

There is nothing wrong with the comment he made. The hockey players are LIKE the fire fighters because they're both sacrificing their body. Not because it's to the same extent. Jesus people!
What a hockey player does isn't remotely LIKE what the policemen, firemen, or any other emergency service provider went through during 911. For anyone to think so, is ignorance personified.

There are events in human history that cannot and should not be used as comparatives, specially to sports, 911 is one of them.

MacLean, in a vain attempt to build drama for a sporting event, to draw some parellel between millionaires players ang real life heroes, was simply stupidity at its finest.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
What a hockey player does isn't remotely LIKE what the policemen, firemen, or any other emergency service provider went through during 911. For anyone to think so, is ignorance personified.

There are events in human history that cannot and should not be used as comparatives, specially to sports, 911 is one of them.

MacLean, in a vain attempt to build drama for a sporting event, to draw some parellel between millionaires players ang real life heroes, was simply stupidity at its finest.
You're hallucinating. He drew no comparison between the first responders on 9/11 and hockey players.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:34 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
The bottom line is that it was a bad analogy to make or attempt to make in the first place. MacLean had to know that making a 9/11 reference the way he did would offend many people and that his comments could be easily be misconstrued, especially by Americans. MacLean is an arrogant person but he's not stupid. I'm sure he'll do his big mea culpa on Saturday, a mea culpa he probably wrote immediately after writing his opening remarks last night.
Bad analogy says who? you? It was a fine analogy. He said that the nhl players sacrifice their bodies...like firefighters...they both do. To different extents.

Some firefighters died saving others...while some firefighters have never had to put themselves in a life threatening position...in which case a player playing through a broken bone, torn ligament, with a douzen welts might be sacrificing their body more.

The whole point is that THEY BOTH sacrifice their body. He wasn't comparing the EXTENT they sacrifice their body. There is a HUGE difference and how anyone can't understand it, i don't know.

Any analogy that has comparables is a good analogy.

They both sacrifice their body for the greater good. That alone is enough to make it a good analogy. Unless people don't know what an analogy is?

It's like saying a shot glass is like a mug...they're both containers for liquid...however one is vastly superior to the other....yet both containers? hmmm...

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
jbeck5

The way people take offense to things that have nothing to do with them these days is insane!

It's like me, a canadian, getting offended by an american telling a swedish person that their country sucks.

It has NOTHING to do with me, so why the hell would i get offended?

Wayyyyy too many people acting like everything is about them and everyone is against them. Take a chill pill.

The amount of people here that are offended is insane considering nothing was said offensively directed at them. It doesn't make sense.

Too many people are like sister debby (a nun/sister/chaplin) from my old high school who seemed to get offended by anything that seemed "anti holy" even if it had nothing to do with her. God it was the worst!

What else are you guys offended by? Some of you guys could right 19 books on what offends you and why.

Grow some.

Sincerely,

Someone With A Pair.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

In a time in Canadian and world history where we have so much government corruption (and ineptitude), a mess with our aboriginal community, the European economy and political climate imploding, shocking rates of unemployment, the socioeconomic gradient growing by the minute, governments murdering their own people in Syria and around the Arab world etc. etc. you'd think we'd have better things to talk about (when not discussing hockey of course).

But no. Instead, we have the dated topic of abortion being brought back up into parliament AND congress (:facepalm). We have the Ottawa Sun talking about some ******* who eats chicken while driving as front page news and now this nonissue. We're so ****ed as a people and society. No one cares about anything important anymore it seems. So much spin, so much manipulation so much misplaced outrage and I truly don't think the general population has the intelligence or motivation to do anything about it. I'm guilty of it too. Everyone is.

tl;dr. Move on. Read some books.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Why do people look for ways to be offended these days?

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:01 PM
SilverSeven

Well, they are both doing their jobs.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
Why do people look for ways to be offended these days?
This! And then you have the followers.

"Oh!? he/she's offended? Well then i'm offended too!"

It's like babies...When one cries, the other one starts crying until they're all crying together.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post

lol are you just ignoring what other posters are saying?

There have been several comparables listed...though not to the same degree. you haven't been able to rebuttal those.

Why can't things be compared to other significant things in time? Because people will become extremely sensitive and emotional and start crying about it? Come on.

What's stupidity at it's finest is not understanding that both firefighters and hockey players sacrifice their bodies, but to different extents.

-is a firefighter sacrificing himself by going into a burning building?
-is a hockey player sacrificing himself by diving infront of 100mph slapshots and 110mph one-timers?

If the answer to those questions is yes, then you can draw comparisons.
If the answer to any of those questions is no, then you are stupid.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

It offends people, but my standard for the word hero is higher than doing your job and running into a burning building that you didn't know was going to fall down. I also sit down through the standing ovation that the token random soldier gets every game at scotiabank place.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
It offends people, but my standard for the word hero is higher than doing your job and running into a burning building that you didn't know was going to fall down. I also sit down through the standing ovation that the token random soldier gets every game at scotiabank place.
Ugh, I'm offended by that. How dare you, and such?...

Old
05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Wow, the level of immaturity in this thread is crazy. To all of those attacking the manhood of those who were offended by MacLean's comments, look at yourself in the mirror. Instead of attacking our manhood, calling us babies, followers, or telling us to unstick our 'panties', grow the **** up. If you weren't offended by his comments, fine, stay out of the thread. Don't resort to immature name-calling and insults. Last time I checked, people in this country have a right to their opinions, and if you disagree with someone else's opinion, it doesn't make you right, nor does it make the other person a baby, any less masculine, or anything else. If you don't agree with the premise in the OP, then leave the thread.

Or should I call those throwing the insults a bunch of ****ies? Maybe that is the only thing you understand.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote