HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron MacLean compares hockey players to 9/11 heroes

Old
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Madskillz65

vCash: 500
I wasn't offended, but I think it was extremely stupid for him to say. I'm also glad he's getting crap for this because I hate that smug idiot, Ron Maclean.

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Last time I checked, people in this country have a right to their opinions.
Last time I checked, opinions were reserved for the people who knew the facts and understood the context what was said. Anybody who says he compared hockey players to the 9/11 firefighters clearly does not meet that criteria.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Last time I checked, opinions were reserved for the people who knew the facts and understood the context what was said. Anybody who says he compared hockey players to the 9/11 firefighters clearly does not meet that criteria.
Can you explain the context to me then, because I read the article and the quotes and I don't know what other context there could be.

I am also not offended at all, but it doesn't mean I still can't call his comparison stupid.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
Not exactly sure if you are being serious or not.

I don't have any hatred towards our neighbors below. Hell, I often make the comparison that Canadians and Americans are the same people. Besides little regional differences we are no different in our lifestyles at all. The structure of our cities, our culture, our North American way of life and many other details remain the exact same between our two nations.

As for Maclean's comment. People are always looking to create an outrage over something. I highly doubt he was trying to tarnish the accomplishments of the brave individuals who rushed into the inferno, but rather was trying to drum up respect and support for hockey players.
The only reason I hate Americans is because they stole Lord Stanley and played a superb game of keep-away for 20 years.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:06 PM
OneManArmy65*

Quote:
Last time I checked, people in this country have a right to their opinions, and if you disagree with someone else's opinion, it doesn't make you right, nor does it make the other person a baby, any less masculine, or anything else. If you don't agree with the premise in the OP, then leave the thread.
So you're hating on other peoples opinions

I still don't understand, you and your just leave the thread talk when you, yes you sir could easily just ignore their comments. Last I checked, people on HFboards have the right to reply to a thread with their opinions.

OneManArmy65* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Can you explain the context to me then, because I read the article and the quotes and I don't know what other context there could be.

I am also not offended at all, but it doesn't mean I still can't call his comparison stupid.
His comparison was between the sacrifices of hockey players and those of emergency personnel in general, not between hockey players and the first respondents on 9/11. To suggest that he said that hockey players are "like the firefighters on 9/11" is patently false.

I'd like to know how many actual firefighters think what he said was "stupid". Gosh, I bet they just hate being used as role models.

Maclean issued a statement today to clarify his comments for those with poor listening comprehension:

Quote:
“Washington and New York. The two cities united by the tragedy of 9/11. I, like everyone on the planet in his or her lifetime, saw beyond the horror, the single greatest testament to the strength of the human spirit in the efforts of the first responders”, said MacLean.

“We never know if we’ll have that spirit. The bravery, the resilience. As I made clear, the hockey games in no way compare. However, sports has proven a worthy training ground in nurturing the qualities which beget that spirit.

“To say he plays like a firefighter or a policeman would instantly conjure the traits an athlete most desires, especially in New York and Washington. There could be no higher praise of a player, no greater choice of a role model.

“But as I said of first responders, ‘Our worst day is their every day’. They stand alone.”
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/10/...nds-by-his-pal

Old
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

As usual, very well said by Maclean, one of the most down to earth and well spoken people in broadcasting. Taking things out of context ftw.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Billy Bridges

Maclean jumped into a river to save someone, but I highly doubt he would jump into a burning building, leading me to conclude he is an otter, or possibly a dolphin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Of course I'd poop in all of your mouths if the opportunity were to present itself, so take that with a grain of salt.
If I'm going to lie down and open my mouth, it better be for more poop than a grain of salt worth.

Billy Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Last time I checked, people in this country have a right to their opinions, and if you disagree with someone else's opinion, it doesn't make you right, nor does it make the other person a baby, any less masculine, or anything else. If you don't agree with the premise in the OP, then leave the thread.
So, we're allowed to have an opinion, just don't post it in the thread on the topic if you don't agree with the OP?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
1)People need to grow some and stop getting offended so easily.

2) It's been over 10 years.

Seriously though, if i stopped and listened to why everyone around me is offended by what, i would never be able to get on with my day. People are offended WAY to easily and it honestly needs to stop. 99% of the stuff people are offended about isn't even directed at them. Like common.
This. Everyone take a chill pill and GTFOver It.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManArmy65 View Post
So you're hating on other peoples opinions

I still don't understand, you and your just leave the thread talk when you, yes you sir could easily just ignore their comments. Last I checked, people on HFboards have the right to reply to a thread with their opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
So, we're allowed to have an opinion, just don't post it in the thread on the topic if you don't agree with the OP?
Nowhere have I said that others are not entitled to a conflicting opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view. If you'd read my posts, you'd see that what I have a problem with (in the context of this thread) is people taking the immature action of insulting my (and those that agree with my point of view)'s manhood, calling us crybabies, and saying childish things such as 'don't get your panties in a bunch', etc. If you have a differing opinion, I can respect that. What I cannot and do not respect is people belittling me simply because they disagree with me.

Quote:
His comparison was between the sacrifices of hockey players and those of emergency personnel in general, not between hockey players and the first respondents on 9/11. To suggest that he said that hockey players are "like the firefighters on 9/11" is patently false.

I'd like to know how many actual firefighters think what he said was "stupid". Gosh, I bet they just hate being used as role models.

Maclean issued a statement today to clarify his comments for those with poor listening comprehension:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/10/...nds-by-his-pal
No doubt he had that written within 5 minutes of his stupid rant, if not before it. He knew he'd get a negative reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bridges View Post
If I'm going to lie down and open my mouth, it better be for more poop than a grain of salt worth.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
If you don't agree with the premise in the OP, then leave the thread.
Quote:
Nowhere have I said that others are not entitled to a conflicting opinion.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:23 PM
BK201

Yeah not cool he should have just said firefighters or police putting 911 on it is another story.

A nurse being paid 40k a year risking her life and having irreversible medical problems from the ash and smoke inhalation with no medical insurance to help them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> someone who makes 1million as a fourth liner that stands infront of pucks and won't even sign an autograph for kids as they enter for the opening warm ups.... AINEC

They play a Childs game for a living, get babied there whole lives, and have enough money to take care of themselves and never work another day... There nothing even remotely close to some one who sacrificed their health to save a live not even 1/2 as much balls.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:18 PM
bacon25

Quote:
For anyone who watched the HNIC opener last night (this article talks about it) :

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/09/...11-controversy

Ron MacLean compares the Caps and Rangers hockey players to the police officers and firefighters who came to the rescue on 9/11. MacLean is usually pretty respectable, but I found this comparison both ridiculous and offensive. Hockey players are nothing like those heroes from that day, and to compare the two really is a pathetic attempt to cheapen what those brave men and women did that day. I normally respect MacLean for his views, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that rant.

What do you all think?
I've heard/read worst things come from commentators, Maclean threw out an ignorant comment that he will take back this Saturday. Unlike Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher who intentionally try and offend someone, Maclean didn't mean to be offensive.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
OneManArmy65*

Quote:
Nowhere have I said that others are not entitled to a conflicting opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view. If you'd read my posts, you'd see that what I have a problem with (in the context of this thread) is people taking the immature action of insulting my (and those that agree with my point of view)'s manhood, calling us crybabies, and saying childish things such as 'don't get your panties in a bunch', etc. If you have a differing opinion, I can respect that. What I cannot and do not respect is people belittling me simply because they disagree with me.
No where was I insulting you or anything, but you'd have to follow what you preached. If you want people to ignore a thread they don't agree with, couldn't you, following your logic just ignore their comments?

And its the internet, people are going to act stupid just because. There really is no reason behind it.

OneManArmy65* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
lol are you just ignoring what other posters are saying?

There have been several comparables listed...though not to the same degree. you haven't been able to rebuttal those.

Why can't things be compared to other significant things in time? Because people will become extremely sensitive and emotional and start crying about it? Come on.

What's stupidity at it's finest is not understanding that both firefighters and hockey players sacrifice their bodies, but to different extents.

-is a firefighter sacrificing himself by going into a burning building?
-is a hockey player sacrificing himself by diving infront of 100mph slapshots and 110mph one-timers?

If the answer to those questions is yes, then you can draw comparisons.
If the answer to any of those questions is no, then you are stupid.
MacLean set the context for all his remarks in the opening sentence. It is what newscasters do every night, the better they are at it, the higher the ratings.

He opened with “They were the twin targets of the coordinated attacks on 9/11."

Everything that followed this remark, intended or otherwise, has set the viewer's mind to a very tragic and emotional moment in recent history.

While MacLean did follow with his disclaimer, "It’s crazy to compare what the emergency respondents did at that time." the mood had been set, emotions evoked, and the memories recalled very real.

So when he continued with, "You can’t help but be struck by the players and the way they’ve played these games. They are like police officers, they are like firefighters. You can’t fight fire with ego. The pain these men have faced, the price they keep on paying, the hearts they keep on lifting.” he should have expected some less than positive feedback.

Today MacLean offers this tidbit, “To say he plays like a firefighter or a policeman would instantly conjure the traits an athlete most desires, especially in New York and Washington. There could be no higher praise of a player, no greater choice of a role model."

Interesting, however in my lifetime I have never heard anyone talk about a hockey player playing like a fireman or a policeman, have you?

I am not suggesting MacLean should be fired or required to offer apologies or weak explanations. IMO what MacLean said was in poor taste and it was done to make the playoffs sound more dramatic and important than they really are in the bigger scheme of life.

Lastly, to the bolded. Firefighters and policemen go to work each day not knowing what their day may offer, but fully aware they may have to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect others.

To compare what these men and women do, to a hockey player blocking a shot, surely you can't be serious.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:32 PM
CapitalCityGoofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
In a time in Canadian and world history where we have so much government corruption (and ineptitude), a mess with our aboriginal community, the European economy and political climate imploding, shocking rates of unemployment, the socioeconomic gradient growing by the minute, governments murdering their own people in Syria and around the Arab world etc. etc. you'd think we'd have better things to talk about (when not discussing hockey of course).

But no. Instead, we have the dated topic of abortion being brought back up into parliament AND congress (:facepalm). We have the Ottawa Sun talking about some ******* who eats chicken while driving as front page news and now this nonissue. We're so ****ed as a people and society. No one cares about anything important anymore it seems. So much spin, so much manipulation so much misplaced outrage and I truly don't think the general population has the intelligence or motivation to do anything about it. I'm guilty of it too. Everyone is.

tl;dr. Move on. Read some books.
QFT sadly. Oh and don't forget about poor old John Travolta!

CapitalCityGoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Yeah not cool he should have just said firefighters or police putting 911 on it is another story.
Jesus - that's what he did. Are you even paying attention?

Quote:
A nurse being paid 40k a year risking her life and having irreversible medical problems from the ash and smoke inhalation with no medical insurance to help them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> someone who makes 1million as a fourth liner that stands infront of pucks and won't even sign an autograph for kids as they enter for the opening warm ups.... AINEC

They play a Childs game for a living, get babied there whole lives, and have enough money to take care of themselves and never work another day... There nothing even remotely close to some one who sacrificed their health to save a live not even 1/2 as much balls.
Noted - we're only allowed to draw inspiration from those in the same income bracket as us. I'll be sure to tell my boss that he's no longer allowed to motivate me since he makes too much money.

If you think so little of hockey players, why do you waste your life watching the sport?

Old
05-11-2012, 06:25 AM
wjhl2009fan

BK201
While hockey players are not on the same level as docs etc what people have to keep in mind is yes hockey players might be over paid but no other job do you travel as much no other job you have to give it 100% every game you don't see people tell docs they suck if they have a bad day.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:50 AM
BK201

I'm not going to argue but it's ok to make comparisons just don't stick specific events to it especially one with high deaths to police and firefighters. if you generalize it's not so bad.

money and class have a lot to do with a lot of things, in my job i see A LOT of extremely rich people including nhl players. don't think for one second they have hard lives. the only thing hard in their lives is time spent away from their family.

Also don't be so naive to think class has no place in an arguement with people of different classes they live different lives. i'm not saying they are bad people. i'm saying their lives don't even compare to rescue workers of 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
BK201
While hockey players are not on the same level as docs etc what people have to keep in mind is yes hockey players might be over paid but no other job do you travel as much no other job you have to give it 100% every game you don't see people tell docs they suck if they have a bad day.
i'm pretty sure you have to do good at every job or you will loose it or be told your doing a bad job....

Old
05-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
I'm not going to argue but it's ok to make comparisons just don't stick specific events to it especially one with high deaths to police and firefighters. if you generalize it's not so bad.
He did generalize. He talked about 9/11, then he talked about the rescue workers on 9/11, then he talked about rescue workers as a whole, and that's where he drew his comparison. No comparison was made between 9/11 first responders and hockey players. Hell, you could argue that there wasn't a comparison between first responder in general and hockey players. If anything, it was only the spirit in which they approach their jobs that was compared.

Quote:
money and class have a lot to do with a lot of things, in my job i see A LOT of extremely rich people including nhl players. don't think for one second they have hard lives. the only thing hard in their lives is time spent away from their family.
Even if your argument that professional athletes don't have hard lives held any water (and it doesn't), to say that the "only thing" hard about their lives is spending so much time away from their families - that's a pretty big "only". I'm sorry to hear that your family life is so miserable that you think so little of family time, but maybe these guys actually care about their wives and children and want to spend time with them.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:45 AM
BK201

Quote:
He did generalize. He talked about 9/11, then he talked about the rescue workers on 9/11, then he talked about rescue workers as a whole, and that's where he drew his comparison. No comparison was made between 9/11 first responders and hockey players. Hell, you could argue that there wasn't a comparison between first responder in general and hockey players. If anything, it was only the spirit in which they approach their jobs that was compared.

Even if your argument that professional athletes don't have hard lives held any water (and it doesn't), to say that the "only thing" hard about their lives is spending so much time away from their families - that's a pretty big "only". I'm sorry to hear that your family life is so miserable that you think so little of family time, but maybe these guys actually care about their wives and children and want to spend time with them.
Lol Internet arguing is such a waste of time.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:16 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Also don't be so naive to think class has no place in an arguement with people of different classes they live different lives. i'm not saying they are bad people. i'm saying their lives don't even compare to rescue workers of 911.

i'm pretty sure you have to do good at every job or you will loose it or be told your doing a bad job....
No not really many people have bad days or in some cases are not fit for the job you don't see workers treated like hockey players.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
No not really many people have bad days or in some cases are not fit for the job you don't see workers treated like hockey players.
All though I don't quite agree with you I do somewhat. User what your saying and it's a grey area for me.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Synthetek

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
I live in NY, I watched the towers go down IN PERSON, not on TV. I am reminded EVERYDAY when I see the city skyline down my street. I don't need to be reminded while I'm watching hockey, for that Ron MacLean is an idiot.

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote