Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

42 years ago..Orr flies through the air

Old
05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
BruinsCupNow

vCash: 500
42 years ago..Orr flies through the air

Happy Anniversary of that glorious moment, B's fans!

This is a question primarily for the older members of the board:

Has last year's Cup had in any way altered your perspective of the Orr years (or other, later eras)?

Winning in 2011 made me feel a lot less resentful about some of the heartbreaking defeats of the past (I can actually watch highlights form 1979 now, when they made me physically sick before).

But in a way, it's also diminished the awe I felt for much of the cast of that earlier crew -- the Hodges, the Awreys, the Dallas Smiths. I don't love them any less in retrospect. I just see them now in the same way I see members of the current Bruins: champions who are still flawed, normal players. Orr and possibly Espo are different - they are among the Greek gods of hockey.

I guess the basic question is this: has winning a Cup in THIS era changed your perspective on the game and team?

--BCN

BruinsCupNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsCupNow View Post

Has last year's Cup had in any way altered your perspective of the Orr years (or other, later eras)?

Winning in 2011 made me feel a lot less resentful about some of the heartbreaking defeats of the past (I can actually watch highlights form 1979 now, when they made me physically sick before).

But in a way, it's also diminished the awe I felt for much of the cast of that earlier crew -- the Hodges, the Awreys, the Dallas Smiths. I don't love them any less in retrospect. I just see them now in the same way I see members of the current Bruins: champions who are still flawed, normal players. Orr and possibly Espo are different - they are among the Greek gods of hockey.

I guess the basic question is this: has winning a Cup in THIS era changed your perspective on the game and team?

--BCN
Best photo in sports. I have a framed one hanging in my room. As far as last years cup, i think it's put a more positive spin on things as the past couple decades have been full of some heartbreaking losses and moments. I still celebrate last year and always check youtube videos on it, but i'm really looking forward to the future and seeing how relevant and hopefully dominant this team can be for years to come.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

I don't see how the 2011 Cup would change my perspective. Since I was a kid back in the '70s, my perspective was already different. Unless I don't understand the question?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsCupNow View Post

--BCN
Ironically, Gm 7 in 1979 was on May 10th too. My last year of high school started with Bucky "Bleepin" Dent and ended with too many men on the ice. I wouldn't have even cared about Bucky had the Bruins won in Montreal that night.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Watching Orr spoiled me for anyone else that came after. For all Bourque's greatness,it was disappointing when you realized that this guy ain't even close and he's great,so what was Orr??

May 10th 1970-Dad's at the game and we're watching at home in Boston eating KFC. Mother's day and my youngest brother's birthday. Perfect storm.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

That old pic? Jeez guys, it's just some guy tripping some other guy in the Finals. Might have even been a dive. Look at how high his feet come up off the ice.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
sooshii
SISU

Turk was on HNIC radio this afternoon reminiscing about that goal "holy ****, I think we just won the Cup!"

Said he thinks helmets should be outlawed as the cause of concussions (serious) and he's writing a book that'll be out soon.

Link to the interview on this page:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...daradio/video/

sooshii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
ProdigalFan
#NoFreePasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
That old pic? Jeez guys, it's just some guy tripping some other guy in the Finals. Might have even been a dive. Look at how high his feet come up off the ice.

Goal shouldn't have counted. Orr should have gone to the box for embellishment. So say the haters on the main board in their imaginary 40 page thread.

I saw that goal on our black and white set. It was a wonderful moment for a young B's fan, but the Blues really had no chance against that team. Last year's win was so meaningful because it came after such a long drought, they were basically underdogs throughout the playoffs, and it was redemption after the previous year's disaster.

ProdigalFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Dreghorn2

I'm not sure you ever view your sports teams and players more fervently, more passionately, and with more love -- then when you were a kid.

Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:56 AM
WickedBruinsGirl

My perspective was altered in one way. My mom was at the game in 1970 when they won the Cup. I was jealous that she 1) got to see them win a Championship 2) was there when they won. (I wasn't born for a dozen years later but that's no excuse!) I always ask her where she was on this day and she always remembers.

Winning last year was awesome. Made suffering through non-playoff contention years, Dave Lewis era, and the dreadful worst overall 1996-97 season less painful and distant memories, but in a strange way very worth it.

But needless to say I'm half envious now. Can only imagine what it would be like if they won it at home in Boston, but there's always next year.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
A moment that defined a whole generation of hockey fans. I remember watching the game on a tiny black and white TV set at my grandparents' house while my parents were at the game. Those Bruins players were beyond lifelike and will never change even though the fans from that time have aged as have the players. I got to share last year's Cup victory with my children and my mother directly and with my father indirectly. You realize how fleeting a Cup victory is and that it took 40 years to get back there. I hope our present owner realizes how hard it is to win that Cup and not let another 40 years go bye before we bring the Cup back to Boston again.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

I still catch flak for telling people that Bobby Orr's OT goal means more to me than Paul Henderson's GWG in Game 8 of the 1972 Summit Series.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

There are two sports moments that stand out as moments in time I wish I was able to see and experience in real time

- this goal
- the 1980 Olympics

Looking forward to adding to the memory cache as I go.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
There are two sports moments that stand out as moments in time I wish I was able to see and experience in real time

- this goal
- the 1980 Olympics

Looking forward to adding to the memory cache as I go.
What's funny is that nobody in the U.S. except the people in the arena saw the 1980 Olympic win over the Soviets in real time. It was taped and shown later that night.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What's funny is that nobody in the U.S. except the people in the arena saw the 1980 Olympic win over the Soviets in real time. It was taped and shown later that night.

A colleague told me about that once. He said that he remembered word slowly starting to get around his neighborhood, and no one believed it until the game was actually shown on tape delay.

Funny to think that there will never be a situation like that ever again.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Quote:

A colleague told me about that once. He said that he remembered word slowly starting to get around his neighborhood, and no one believed it until the game was actually shown on tape delay.

Unless the CBC airs some Bruin playoff games next year on tape delay with a total media blackout.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
doakacola*

Hasn't altered my view of the 1970 or 1972 SC titles. I was in 9/11 grades those two Cups,
probably the best 3-4 year period to be rooting on your favorite team. I can recall
sucking down beers the Friday after the 72 win, relishing it, even though I wasn't of age. Ha Ha.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
doakacola*

Quote:

Though ABC didn't show the game until Friday night, CBC showed it live, so places like Metro Buffalo and Metro Detroit and other US border towns certainly were able to pick up the CBC feed live, so there were in fact some US residents who could see it live.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
Ironically, Gm 7 in 1979 was on May 10th too. My last year of high school started with Bucky "Bleepin" Dent and ended with too many men on the ice. I wouldn't have even cared about Bucky had the Bruins won in Montreal that night.
You can add Chuck Fairbanks and the NE Patriots coaching fiasco to your list, circa December 1978.

Has to be the most disappointing senior year of high school, sports wise in Boston history as Celtics didnt make the playoffs.
So you had Dent (Sox), No PO (Celts), too many men (B's), Fairbanks (Pats). Wow

Funny thing is the Class of 1980, got to see Ray Bourque and Larry Bird debut in Boston, along with The Miracle on Ice. What a difference one year made.

Last edited by doakacola*: 05-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old
05-12-2012, 05:14 PM
BubbaBoot

Oh how I vividly remember....how many times have I bored people telling them that I was still in my Little League uniform when it happened? Came home from the game in time to see the 3rd period and overtime.

Few years ago got a Christmas present from the wife and kids....the "picture", autographed....sigh*

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

I remember it so well - I had had a fight with my boyfriend and I watched it alone in a bar. Only of course I wasn't alone; by the end of the evening everyone was going nuts together.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:54 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
I remember it so well - I had had a fight with my boyfriend and I watched it alone in a bar. Only of course I wasn't alone; by the end of the evening everyone was going nuts together.
Did he dare suggest to you that the Bruins trade Barry Pederson or Ricky Middleton?

I keed, I keed. That musta been really cool watching it like that...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Did he dare suggest to you that the Bruins trade Barry Pederson or Ricky Middleton?

I keed, I keed. That musta been really cool watching it like that...
It was.

And actually, he wasn't a sports fan.

One of the biggest boyfriend fights I ever had (different boyfriend, a few years later) happened because I neglected my "hostess" duties at a brunch my boyfriend was throwing to watch the Patriots play the Dolphins on TV. All I could say was "but...but... they were playing the Dolphins!" We broke up not long after that.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:37 PM
gillesgilbert

Last year's Cup run was pure magic for me .There were so many dramatic elements :TT's great play ,winning 3 game 7's ,the great Stanley Cup Final.I don't think anything will ever top it.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 268
I was a teenager back then. I was not
at the game but rememer it well.

Times have changed.

Both were great moments for me. They are difficult to compare. In 1972 I never thought I would have to wait another 39 years for the cup to return to Boston.

I hope I live to see another cup win for the B's.