HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

nhl draft combine bench press weight

Old
05-11-2012, 01:52 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
155 i thought?

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

As already noted, this is a pretty funny annual discussion.

For those who don't know, Dany Heatley couldn't do one rep at 150lbs. This was after coming off a season at Wisconsin where he had been one of the better forwards in all of hockey playing against college guys, with a power forward type game. Two years later he was NHL rookie of the year and probably still couldn't bench 150.

The bench press is meaningless, and many experts have already questioned it's annual inclusion at the combine.

Personally, I think the poorer a player does on some of these, the better they are looked at. These exercises are always looked at relative to production, so if you were physically under-developed strength-wise and were still a dominant player amongst your peers, many hockey people can't wait to see how good the player will be when in elite physical condition.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Exactly. Plus, the gentleman comparing NHL players to NFL players is forgetting that those guys putting up 40 reps at 225 are 300 or 350-pound behemoths. So a handful of monstrosities in a sport that requires size and upper-body pushing strength are stronger than a bunch of lanky 18-year-old hockey kids? Go figure.

Also, 150 might not sound like much, but to the average American male that doesn't lift or do much exercise, it's a lot of weight. I work out regularly, and any time someone comes to my house and decides they want to show off on my bench, I throw on two plates. I've seen guys over 200 pounds almost kill themselves on 135. The iron humbles lots of people.
true i've seen plenty of people fail at it.
but to see like #1 pick RNH do like 9 reps it was kinda funny.

He puts up points though and that's all that matters. He'll definitely get stronger too.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
FinProspects

For hockey players its legs, legs, legs and more legs. Balance, explosiviness, strenght... Then middle body, then arms.. After that maybe the chest area..

FinProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Fripp

They don't do max reps - they go until they break form or timing with the metronome. People should try doing it to a metronome and come back.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
As already noted, this is a pretty funny annual discussion.

For those who don't know, Dany Heatley couldn't do one rep at 150lbs. This was after coming off a season at Wisconsin where he had been one of the better forwards in all of hockey playing against college guys, with a power forward type game. Two years later he was NHL rookie of the year and probably still couldn't bench 150.

The bench press is meaningless, and many experts have already questioned it's annual inclusion at the combine.

Personally, I think the poorer a player does on some of these, the better they are looked at. These exercises are always looked at relative to production, so if you were physically under-developed strength-wise and were still a dominant player amongst your peers, many hockey people can't wait to see how good the player will be when in elite physical condition.
Exactly -- having someone who's already monstrously capable of doing any of these tests relative to their game isn't necessarily a benefit for certain players. It's what the guys who can't do these and still dominate at their level for their age, the judgement is then what could advanced strength and conditioning do for these guys, the things the team can provide.

05-11-2012, 09:20 AM
mcsk*

lolwut? those guys are pretty weak man I'm 18 and bench 225x12 and don't consider myself "strong"

mcsk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsk View Post
lolwut? those guys are pretty weak man I'm 18 and bench 225x12 and don't consider myself "strong"
And you do it to a perfect form timed with a metronome?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Thought they were 18? But yeah that's pretty weak even for 18 year olds. I mean 20-21 year olds at the NFL combine were doing up to 45 reps at 250. Now that's whats up.
How many were doing 45? The guy that broke the record? Yeah...

some of these kids weigh 160lbs -- 150 is almost their weight.

Like to see how many posters on this board can bench their weight once.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
YARR123

Quote:

I'm sure hockey players of his age have better things to do than do hypertrophy training like that, they can't kill themselves at the gym throughout the year because they have to be in good playing shape. Having all your muscles in recovery mode every game will weaken your game and also make you more prone to injury.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
YARR123

Quote:
youtube or it didn't happen

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Gary Roberts’s Top 3 Weight-Room No-Nos

1. Flat barbell bench press: “It’s okay for brute strength. I’m not saying we never do it. But very rarely do we have anybody on benches. When do you ever push something when you’re lying on a supported bench? We do single-arm, heavy bench press on a Swiss ball. So you’ve got one arm with a 70- or 80-pound dumbbell, and you’ve got to use your core to stabilize yourself or you’re going to fall off the ball. And your other arm is resting on your abdominals. That’s how you do bench press for hockey players.”

2. Leg press: “The inverted leg press is a complete no-no for hockey players. You can pile on 600 pounds, but your back is pushed up against a bench. Everybody says, ‘Wow, your legs are getting strong.’ But you’re laying down, pushing up. When do you ever use your legs when your back is supported like that? Not in any situation I’ve played hockey in. Instead, the toughest exercise in the gym is a front position Bulgarian split squat. You’ve got a barbell. You’re holding it in a front-squat position. Your back leg is elevated behind you on a squat stand, and you’re squatting forward on your front leg.”

3. Biceps curls: “No more curls for the girls! It’s a waste of time. This is the way Canadian hockey players used to train. We trained like body builders, a lot of us. And most guys now, they have lean, wiry upper bodies with big and strong legs. Biceps curls, the only time you use your biceps is if you’re a fighter and you’ve got to grab a guy and pull him towards you. You’re better off doing pull-ups, which work your biceps (and many other muscles).”
Great post and thoughts by Gary Roberts. Way too many people spend their whole workout on their ass and back. Get a full body workout and get your ass off a seat or your back off a rest. There is always ways to workout every body part without ever resting your body parts. I'm talking chest press, seated dumbells, bench press, leg press, seated flies, seated rows, seated lat pull downs. All these things your ass or back is on a seat. I for one have cut these things out of my workout. Even his bench he talks about it has you have your back on the ball but since you are on the ball you have to stabilize your whole body. Amazing workouts when you finally stop sitting down and working out. I see these guys who are 250 pounds ripped up body but all they do is sit their whole workout... What's that weight good for, to each their own I guess but I know that the strength I put on is all being used during my day.

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Bieber fever

I don't care if you need to have a strong chest or not in hockey, if you can't bench 150 you'r a straight up *****

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
lolsoweak. I'm 14 and I bench 390x15 and I don't consider myself "strong"

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
backdoorpass

all you guys benching that, how good are you at hockey, these guys are skilled and work on way different things then beach bod, legs and core and a **** ton of foot work, plyos , and fast twitching muscles as well as single leg staibility and stuff, scouts dont really care about it at all, if a guy does will the will see his brute strengh but now alot of the testing is moving towards the ice stuff
major thing for lots of scouts with bench press and pretty much everything, they dont care as much as you think because can work on everything but its more compete level, if the guy is pushing hard they obviously like thatand shows character

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
I don't care if you need to have a strong chest or not in hockey, if you can't bench 150 you'r a straight up *****
Says the one who's username is tribute to Justin Bieber...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
vwg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
I'm pretty sure no one gives a **** whether a prepubescent kid who brags on a message board thinks they're a ***** or not.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
lolsoweak. I'm 14 and I bench 390x15 and I don't consider myself "strong"
That may be true, but you have to admit, you are kind of fat.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:39 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Every year this thread. ugh.
This.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I can't even max out at 100 pounds and I'm 16.

No one cares about what you can do in the weight room, only what you can do on the ice. No one that matters, at least.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
That may be true, but you have to admit, you are kind of fat.
How do you know my terrible secret?

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
No one cares about what you can do in the weight room, only what you can do on the ice. No one that matters, at least.
And there are cases where a poor showing might actually make a team think a player has higher potential. Going into the 2008 Draft, the Kings were deciding between Drew Doughty and Zach Bogosian. Everybody knew that Doughty was a little out of shape, meanwhile Bogosian had a fantastic workout. The Kings took the mentality that if Doughty could already play 30 minutes a night at a high level in the OHL, he had some untapped upside if he could get in better shape.

Gare Joyce noted the same thing in his book about the 2006 and 2007 Drafts. Teams sometimes feel that how a player executes a drill is as important as how well he did. Ie, the VO2 test, players often push themselves to the point where they vomit immediately afterwards. Some players might stop prematurely.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I can't even max out at 100 pounds and I'm 16.

at 16 you arent even fully developed, not doing 100 is nothing to be ashamed of

im 19 almost 20 and do about 100 and im not really embarrassed

everyone makes themselves sound tougher on the internet, like the "14 year old" that says he can do over 300 haha. unless that was sarcasm that i missed

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
at 16 you arent even fully developed, not doing 100 is nothing to be ashamed of

im 19 almost 20 and do about 100 and im not really embarrassed

everyone makes themselves sound tougher on the internet, like the "14 year old" that says he can do over 300 haha. unless that was sarcasm that i missed
That was definitely sarcasm that you missed.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
tfriede2

It sounds like a lot of people here who are saying 10 reps at 150 is "weak" haven't actually tried it before. I can bench 255 (I weigh 155 pounds), but try doing slow reps at 150 the way that they do it at the combine, and I bet you'll be surprised at how few reps you can do (it won't be as many as you thought).

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote