HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Buy or Sell: Off-season Edition

Old
05-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Happy Penguin

vCash: 500
Sell... a lot of times the double M spices things up by adding drama. I'm not buying what madden is selling this time.

Buy... Staal is the best 2 way forward in the eastern conference. I think the pens will try to make him happier by playing in the top 6 mix this coming season.

Sell sell sell... please somebody sell TK.

Buy Sid and Geno... 2 best players in the world this one was hard to decide.

Sell... might be time for Brent Johnson to get a fresh start with another team. He played poorly but our defense played ever worse ALL season long.

Buy... meloche has done a good job with fleury's mechanics. Technically fleury is a much more solid netminder.

Buy... Flower cooled off at the end of last season and we luke warm in the playoffs. No goaltender could have been consistent in the nets for the Pens during that total defensive collapse where our highest paid dmen forgot how to play defense.

Sell....please sell.... that defensive system that we used last season. Its the one we've been playing for awhile but for whatever reason our dmen just had a meltdown. Teams cherry picked on us all season long especially after the allstar break. How many clean breakaways and 2-0's did we give up? I lost count and can't remember ever seeing a pens team give that many breakaways up. Even orpik who rarely left his point position was pinching in at the worst time and giving up breakaways. The system needs some tweaking fella's

Happy Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Buy or Sell ... A new CBA will be in place before the start of free agency

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:38 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Buy or Sell ... A new CBA will be in place before the start of free agency
Sell: No way that's going to happen.

Buy or Sell: Niskanen proves himself to be our #2 D.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post

Sell, but he could be a 3 or 4

Buy or Sell, Robert Bortuzzo is on one of the top 2 PK units by playoff time?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Sell, but he could be a 3 or 4

Buy or Sell, Robert Bortuzzo is on one of the top 2 PK units by playoff time?
Sell, it's not impossible but at least two of Orpik, Letang, Michalek, Niskanen, Engelland, and Strait would have to be traded or hurt. Add Despres and it's even less likely.

Buy or Sell, The defense log jam will be solved in some sense but Martin will still be in the top four, despite most fans protests.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:38 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post

Buy/Sell: While I think Niskanen will be moved due to numbers (personnel and contract), I do think that Niskanen already is the Pens #2 since Martin, Michalek, and Orpik suck under Bylsma and since it will be a cold day in hell before Bylsma gives Despres a chance to prove himself to be the Pens #2 next season.

Buy or Sell: Paul Martin starts next season as a Pittsburgh Penguin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
Sell, it's not impossible but at least two of Orpik, Letang, Michalek, Niskanen, Engelland, and Strait would have to be traded or hurt. Add Despres and it's even less likely.

Buy or Sell, The defense log jam will be solved in some sense but Martin will still be in the top four, despite most fans protests.
BUY . . . with the added comment that, if Shero does that, I hope he pays the price for the consequences of that decision.

Buy or Sell: Steve Sullivan will be a Penguin next year and be among the top seven forwards in ES minutes.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Buy or Sell: Steve Sullivan will be a Penguin next year and be among the top seven forwards in ES minutes.
buy: sure. Top 7 seems reasonable. Some 2nd line time and some 3rd line time makes sense.

Buy/Sell: Dominik Hasek makes an NHL team next year at the age of 47

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:58 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Buy/Sell: While I think Niskanen will be moved due to numbers (personnel and contract), I do think that Niskanen already is the Pens #2 since Martin, Michalek, and Orpik suck under Bylsma and since it will be a cold day in hell before Bylsma gives Despres a chance to prove himself to be the Pens #2 next season.

Buy or Sell: Paul Martin starts next season as a Pittsburgh Penguin.

BUY . . . with the added comment that, if Shero does that, I hope he pays the price for the consequences of that decision.

I wouldn't mind that. One thing that got Sullivan back playing well was when his minutes were regulated to that 3rd line but got 1st or 2nd unit power play duties.

Have him on the 3rd line and can be brought up for PP time or I jury. His contract will most likely be lateral to the previous signing.

Don't see how anyone could object to that as long as his contract doesn't block someone more capable of a greater impact coming in.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
I wouldn't mind that. One thing that got Sullivan back playing well was when his minutes were regulated to that 3rd line but got 1st or 2nd unit power play duties.

Have him on the 3rd line and can be brought up for PP time or I jury. His contract will most likely be lateral to the previous signing.

Don't see how anyone could object to that as long as his contract doesn't block someone more capable of a greater impact coming in.
Uh, 7th ES TOI means he'd play top two lines (assuming Staal is the forward quote 'not in the top six', because he gets top minutes).

Put another way . . .

Buy or sell: The Pens resign Steve Sullivan and he's in the top six (assuming Staal is a 'third line center').

Old
05-25-2012, 12:20 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Uh, 7th ES TOI means he'd play top two lines (assuming Staal is the forward quote 'not in the top six', because he gets top minutes).

Put another way . . .

Buy or sell: The Pens resign Steve Sullivan and he's in the top six (assuming Staal is a 'third line center').

Uh, what if your assumption is that Staal finds himself in the top 6?

Last edited by DoctrSteveBrule: 05-25-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Uh, what if your assumption is that Staal finds himself in the top 6?
I was suggesting that Staal would be 2nd or 3rd in ice time as always but wouldn't be in the top 6 because he'll be the quote 'third line center'. You keep Staal, you keep Martin, and it's Sullivan or a guy like him with Sid and Geno. IMO, neither Sully NOR Dupuis should be with Sid or Geno. Kunitz back up with Sid. Whether or not Staal stays (definitely if he doesn't), find a LW to complement Geno and Neal (Kulemin, Malone if need be) and a truer talent to play with Sid and Kunitz.

I'll say this until I'm blue in the face: The Pens advantage isn't the three centers or the defense or Flower or the coaching. It's that they have Sid and Geno, and nobody else does. Depending upon the allocation of cap resources, they could put out two lines with arguably the best player in hockey and two good wingers. Nobody has two shut down units of the caliber necessary to handle that.

Buy or Sell: Eric Tangradi starts next season in the Pens top nine IF Staal stays.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:23 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Buy or Sell: Eric Tangradi starts next season in the Pens top nine IF Staal stays.
Sell ... I think he'll start the season on the 4th line, regardless of whether or not Staal is wearing a Pens sweater.

Buy or Sell: Syomen/Semin will sign with Detroit and playing on Datsyuk's wing will once again be a 70+ point player

Old
05-26-2012, 11:46 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
I was suggesting that Staal would be 2nd or 3rd in ice time as always but wouldn't be in the top 6 because he'll be the quote 'third line center'. You keep Staal, you keep Martin, and it's Sullivan or a guy like him with Sid and Geno. IMO, neither Sully NOR Dupuis should be with Sid or Geno. Kunitz back up with Sid. Whether or not Staal stays (definitely if he doesn't), find a LW to complement Geno and Neal (Kulemin, Malone if need be) and a truer talent to play with Sid and Kunitz.

I'll say this until I'm blue in the face: The Pens advantage isn't the three centers or the defense or Flower or the coaching. It's that they have Sid and Geno, and nobody else does. Depending upon the allocation of cap resources, they could put out two lines with arguably the best player in hockey and two good wingers. Nobody has two shut down units of the caliber necessary to handle that.

my point is, your assumptions can vary from someone else's so there's no point in telling someone theyre wrong in a buy/sell game...

Old
05-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Giant Yankee Pens

Quote:
Sell ... I think he'll start the season on the 4th line, regardless of whether or not Staal is wearing a Pens sweater.

Buy or Sell: Syomen/Semin will sign with Detroit and playing on Datsyuk's wing will once again be a 70+ point player
SELL... Idk why, but I just don't see Detroit giving Semin a big contract, I think Suter is a much more likely target for them

Buy or Sell: No NEW UFA free agents are brought in except for a backup goalie

Giant Yankee Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:11 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Yankee Pens View Post
SELL... Idk why, but I just don't see Detroit giving Semin a big contract, I think Suter is a much more likely target for them

Buy or Sell: No NEW UFA free agents are brought in except for a backup goalie
Buy ... I could see Shero bringing back Sully, but I'm guessing for cap purposes he'll look to promote within or re-tool the line-up via trade.

Buy or Sell: Pens launch new home, away and alternate sweaters.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Ignatius
Tower Garden Fanatic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Buy or Sell: Pens launch new home, away and alternate sweaters.
Sell, Pens will keep current home & road sweaters for at least another season (through 2013-14 that is). In the instance the org has a major change (ie Bylsma is canned) they could use that to justify a new set of jerseys before that.

Buy or Sell: Letang will put up more points than anyone not named Crosby, Malkin, and Neal.

Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote