HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 News & Notes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
  #776
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I do not agree.



4th liners are not paid to score goals.

I think our 4th line with Ward will not provide nearly the energy Patti would. And that is what I look for from that line, in game 1 at home.

You clearly think he will score or make that line better. Lets see how that 4th line looks versus last game.
I have no idea what that gif is trying to convey. I don't see any 4th liners at all. Perhaps you copied and pasted something wrong.

Joel Ward gets paid to score playoff goals. I don't care what line he's on. Hendricks and Beagle can get pucks to the front of the net just about as well as anyone else.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:30 AM
  #777
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I have no idea what that gif is trying to convey. I don't see any 4th liners at all. Perhaps you copied and pasted something wrong.

Joel Ward gets paid to score playoff goals. I don't care what line he's on. Hendricks and Beagle can get pucks to the front of the net just about as well as anyone else.
I guess I have no idea what you were trying to convey when you said:

I have a little saying too. If you can't score goals, it doesn't matter how many hits you have.

How many players role is to score goals?

The concept of wearing down a team by hitting is one that you don't believe in. And that is fine, but try not to be surprised when you see our boys teeing off in game 1 on their dmen.

Well, everyone almost except for Ward I contend, who is just not a hitter. A fine player, overpaid at 3M to be a 4th liner and maybe not a great fit there, again, depending on what Oates expects from 4. We are stacked at scoring RW and he has been squeezed.

I highly doubt he expects goals from anyone on 4.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:58 AM
  #778
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Brooks on 106.7

Did not have sports hernia surgery. Didn't someone post that here?
Eyes a return in this series, not worried about conditioning
Rags have speed, but we want to control puck, and force them into their shell
Oates wants to make them go 200 feet to score

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
  #779
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I guess I have no idea what you were trying to convey when you said:

I have a little saying too. If you can't score goals, it doesn't matter how many hits you have.

How many players role is to score goals?

The concept of wearing down a team by hitting is one that you don't believe in. And that is fine, but try not to be surprised when you see our boys teeing off in game 1 on their dmen.

Well, everyone almost except for Ward I contend, who is just not a hitter. A fine player, overpaid at 3M to be a 4th liner and maybe not a great fit there, again, depending on what Oates expects from 4. We are stacked at scoring RW and he has been squeezed.

I highly doubt he expects goals from anyone on 4.
What kind of convoluted path did you take to reach that conclusion?

I want them to wear down the D. Even more than that, I want them to score goals.

Riddle me this.... what line was Ward on when he scored in OT vs. the Bruins?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
  #780
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
+1. I think our bottom line has never looked better and have no expectation that Ward can make it better. Sure he may help on the boards or score a goal, but is that we Oates expects from his 4th line?

Perhaps its Hendricks at center, or Beagle is a better fit at wing from an energy standpoint. Some trios of guys just mesh.

I know Ward is a playoff warrior and its why we got him, but its only game 1 and we had a fine run during his absence. I would love him to be a game 2 move once Patti softens them up.
Trust me I want to see the caps run them into the ground. We were ok without ward. We were flying with him. Think @ Winnipeg. He got hurt right after scoring a big goal vs tb I think.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:28 AM
  #781
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Trust me I want to see the caps run them into the ground. We were ok without ward. We were flying with him. Think @ Winnipeg. He got hurt right after scoring a big goal vs tb I think.
Its a big to do over little of course; its what happens with 4 days to do nothing.

I like lines to have roles, not just players.

We are deep at scoring RW. Ward in the playoffs is a scoring RW. Should the Caps dress every scoring wing they can every night? Of course not and I don't think any coaches do that.

I just foresee the Rags going into their defensive shell and don't want to try to finesse them like Bruce did against Montreal. Finally caving in game 7 and rolling out Walker; too little too late. Bruce did it backwards. I want to start heavy.

Now if we could piece together 4 scoring lines and Oates wants to roll with 4, in Oates we trust. I see 3 scoring lines already, and thus want a beastly 4.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
  #782
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Well, everyone almost except for Ward I contend, who is just not a hitter. A fine player, overpaid at 3M to be a 4th liner and maybe not a great fit there, again, depending on what Oates expects from 4. We are stacked at scoring RW and he has been squeezed.

I highly doubt he expects goals from anyone on 4.
ward is bottom 6 player that can create playoff offense. the playoff game seems to suit his skill set better than the regular season. he may not hit as you like but he is a load and its his strenth IMO that makes his playoff game.

as for not scoring from the 4th line in the playoffs......


txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
  #783
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Ward is a handful. But our RW scoring depth may be best in the league now. Ovi is a handful. So are Brouwer and Fehr.

Why not also put in Wolski at 4LW?

Don't answer that.

Ward can bring solid board work and cycling to our 4th line, and the odd goal.

I am not seeing that as the key to beating the collapsing Rangers. See all those unders come in last night?

Ward is hardly a finesse player, but he is no hitter either.

I do realize that him scoring a GWG in game 1 is one crow meal being cooked as we speak and I will chow it down as needed. I am setting myself up nicely.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
  #784
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ward is a handful. But our RW scoring depth may be best in the league now. Ovi is a handful. So are Brouwer and Fehr.

Why not also put in Wolski at 4LW?

Don't answer that.

Ward can bring solid board work and cycling to our 4th line, and the odd goal.

I am not seeing that as the key to beating the collapsing Rangers. See all those unders come in last night?

Ward is hardly a finesse player, but he is no hitter either.

I do realize that him scoring a GWG in game 1 is one crow meal being cooked as we speak and I will chow it down as needed. I am setting myself up nicely.
No need to build a strawman around Wolski or get some crow ready. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It might very well be that Volpatti scores a goal, or draws a penalty that leads to a goal. Ward might take another penalty that loses the game.

All you can do is evaluate a situation and make what you think is the best call going in. You feel that Volpatti's presence will have a bigger effect in Game 1. I feel that if the rest of the team is capable of hitting, it makes sense to plug in a guy that is a proven playoff point getter if you have one. Although I think Volpatti has earned a chance to play, it makes more sense to get Ward in there.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  #785
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ward is a handful. But our RW scoring depth may be best in the league now. Ovi is a handful. So are Brouwer and Fehr.

Why not also put in Wolski at 4LW?

Don't answer that.

Ward can bring solid board work and cycling to our 4th line, and the odd goal.

I am not seeing that as the key to beating the collapsing Rangers. See all those unders come in last night?

Ward is hardly a finesse player, but he is no hitter either.

I do realize that him scoring a GWG in game 1 is one crow meal being cooked as we speak and I will chow it down as needed. I am setting myself up nicely.
RH

I'm confused by this post to be honest. Do I take you are suggesting leaving Ward out of the lineup? And you want Wolski in? Or am I off?

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
  #786
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
RH

I'm confused by this post to be honest. Do I take you are suggesting leaving Ward out of the lineup? And you want Wolski in? Or am I off?
LOL

I do not want Wolski in the lineup.

I don't mind Ward in the lineup, just maybe not in game 1. Our 3 scoring lines and our 4th line have been doing fine without him through what were playoff like games in his absence. Enough to risk him sitting just one more game, and buy a logical move for game 2 which I think will be more his style (less physical)

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
  #787
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Brooks on 106.7

Did not have sports hernia surgery. Didn't someone post that here?
Eyes a return in this series, not worried about conditioning
Rags have speed, but we want to control puck, and force them into their shell
Oates wants to make them go 200 feet to score
I had asked that question in the ongoing Rangers thread, and someone posted the following link that confirmed the surgery. Now

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-way-recovery/

BiPolar Caps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
  #788
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
LOL

I do not want Wolski in the lineup.

I don't mind Ward in the lineup, just maybe not in game 1. Our 3 scoring lines and our 4th line have been doing fine without him through what were playoff like games in his absence. Enough to risk him sitting just one more game, and buy a logical move for game 2 which I think will be more his style (less physical)
OK I follow. I agree. I wouldn't mind keeping Volpatti in for a game to see how it goes.


RE: Brooks. I've seen a couple quoted sources say he indeed DID have surgery in early April. Oates even confirmed it. I can't believe he'd lie about that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ichs-recovery/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-way-recovery/

http://washingtonexaminer.com/oates-...stom_click=rss

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
  #789
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
I would presume that he didn't have "sports hernia" surgery but something very similar.

Anyone else that listened can reconfirm what I heard, but he was adamant about it and said the rumors were flat out not true.

The local media should pick up on what he said, and get to the bottom of it. ha

Quote:
Eric Bickel ‏@EBJunkies 1h
RT @stopthehats: Brooks Laich tells @EBJunkies @moneymetalcakes he's got eyes on playing in first series, has not had sports hernia surgery.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  #790
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I would presume that he didn't have "sports hernia" surgery but something very similar.
Anyone else that listened can reconfirm what I heard, but he was adamant about it and said the rumors were flat out not true.

The local media should pick up on what he said, and get to the bottom of it. ha
I'd wager that is the case. I don't see how it could be as straight forward as He had sports hernia surgery or he had no surgery at all.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:49 AM
  #791
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
Someone saw a tweet and rolled with the false news and everyone followed suit.

Or, ole Brooksie is lying. Doesn't want the ladies getting concerned

Say Laich comes back. MP to the bench, or Chimera. I would guess MP but maybe who plays worst in the next few games would decide it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
  #792
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Someone saw a tweet and rolled with the false news and everyone followed suit.

Or, ole Brooksie is lying. Doesn't want the ladies getting concerned

Say Laich comes back. MP to the bench, or Chimera. I would guess MP but maybe who plays worst in the next few games would decide it.
Yeah I would think its MP regardless. Could use a better defensive player in that 3C slot for sure without a huge drop off in offense (putting Beagle/Hendricks there)

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:58 AM
  #793
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,598
vCash: 500
For the first time in a long time, I feel pretty good that the coach is going to make the intelligent decision about who gets a jersey and who gets toi.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
  #794
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
For the first time in a long time, I feel pretty good that the coach is going to make the intelligent decision about who gets a jersey and who gets toi.
Its early.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
  #795
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,556
vCash: 500
the caps got ward for the playoffs. his playoff play has been good. if he is healthy, he plays. i dont expect oates to put an inferior lineup in for game 1 out of some sense of obligation because volpatti has been in.

what are you suggesting? lets wait to lose before ward goes in?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
  #796
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
What was our RW scoring depth when Ward was acquired. Semin one foot about the door clearly not planned on being retained long term. Brouwer... ? Aucoin

You know that old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ward was a healthy scratch just last year and no one here seemed to care. Are you suggesting you did care, and didn't say anything? This time, he is coming back from a long layoff and the team damn near undefeated in his absence.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
  #797
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
What was our RW scoring depth when Ward was acquired. Semin one foot about the door clearly not planned on being retained long term. Brouwer... ?

You know that old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ward was a healthy scratch just last year and no one here seemed to care. Are you suggesting you did care, and didn't say anything? This time, he is coming back from a long layoff and the team damn near undefeated in his absence.
I respect your position on this one Randy, but I see another adage at play here. Good is the enemy of great. Just because we have RW scoring depth doesn't mean we have to sit one of them down. Depth isn't depth if you don't use it.

I for one wasn't pleased that Ward was a healthy scratch at times last year. I don't think his play last year earned him scratches. I also really don't agree with his usage in the playoffs. The guy was tied for 5th in points despite being 16th in TOI/G (10th for forwards). 4th line minutes with 2nd line production.

Care to guess where he ranked in terms of hits despite his limited minutes?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:40 AM
  #798
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
@Stewie...backing out of the room. But truth be told, NHL hits mandate a turnover IIRC, and some of the best body checks I have seen do not involve TO's.

I respect your opine too and know sitting Ward is not a popular opinion since he was acquired for.... tomorrow.

----

Gormley nailed one

Quote:
April 16th
No surgery for Capitals' Laich
http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...capitals-laich

Blind squirrel.

It is a quick turnaround to deciding to not have surgery, then have it. It had to be twitter.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  #799
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,331
vCash: 50
Ward is working in on the 4th line today but didn't take the initial rushes (suggesting that the line will be left as is?).

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  #800
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,451
vCash: 50
I expect Ward in, but also do want Oates to try some standard deception at practice since every little thing that happens there is fully analyzed.

As the founding and sole member for the Volpatti Fan Club, I still trust Oates's judgement.

But I also do not want him to be afraid to make a lineup change mid series.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.