HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan Needs His Own Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Derek Stepan Needs His Own Thread

1 goal, 7 assists, 8 points (third on the team).

Stepped up big time in games 5-7 against Ottawa, best player on the team. Has points in 4 of the 6 games this series. Yet Torts plays him on the 3rd line. Unbelievable. Stepan needs more minutes.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Hes been pretty bad this series.

Torts has been the coach for over 3 years now. When are people going to realize that noone builds up stock with him, and he awards minutes on a game by game basis?

I like Stepan, outside of a few key games, hes been pretty poor. Last night can go into that category.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

stepan is just like richards. he plays well with other skilled players. he played well with zucc. played well with kreider. played well with gaborik. you keep him playing with guys that can't make plays, he's going to look bad... but he's a good, skilled player, and he's not being utilized the way he needs to be.

not to mention-- he hasn't been that bad this series rofl. boyle hasn't done anything this series either and he's getting top 6 minutes. (17 last night in a game we're losing by 2 rofl)

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If he's been bad with 4 points, then who's been good?

Only Gaborik, Richards, and DZ (actually DZ has 4 also) have more points.

For a team that can't score to save its life, you don't put one of your best playmakers with players who can't score. It makes no logical sense.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
EEDAWGZ

You also gotta keep in mind a lot of these youngsters don't have much PO experience if any

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
You also gotta keep in mind a lot of these youngsters don't have much PO experience if any
only feds/rupp/richards have useful playoff experience as far as i'm concerned. kreider has made more progress than most of our 'core'. and stepan has played well for his second year. he's not playing with guys who match his skillset.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
OverTheCap

He's been OK the last few games, nothing special, but definitely deserving of more ice time than the likes of Boyle.

A lot of the players are really struggling right now. Torts bears some responsibility with his personnel decisions and ice time management for sure. But it doesn't help when so many players are stinking it up. Out of our 12 forwards, there are probably about 8 of them who look like they belong in the bottom 6 right now.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
I usually agree with Torts' decisions, but not last night. Playing skill guys with the checking line guys is stupid. The 4th line looked good last night IMO, but Kreider is NOT a 4th line type of player. If all our players were used correctly, we would've wrapped the series last night.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
only feds/rupp/richards have useful playoff experience as far as i'm concerned. kreider has made more progress than most of our 'core'. and stepan has played well for his second year. he's not playing with guys who match his skillset.
God ,I wish torts would role 4 lines consistently

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:07 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
If torts went into a press conference and said this, would you not think he lost his mind?

While I do like the fact that he doesn't take losing well, I think he would also look kind of stupid with some of his answers.

Example 1:

A reporter asks "how are you going to fix the power play?"

If Torts actually answered his question the response would be;

"I will play John Mitchell at center to take face offs"

Since that seemed to be the only change, I assume that this was his quick fix.

Example 2:

A reporter asks "You seem to be struggling scoring goals, any ideas on how to fix this?"

If he answered this question his response would be;

" I am going to move Brendan Prust to the Third Line, Put Brian Boyle on the Second, and Derek Stepan on the Third. Also I will be moving one of our better scoring threats Chris Kreider to the Fourth line with minimal ice time"

Since these are the lines he kept all of yesterday I would imagine that he thinks this is the answer.

He would be laughed off the mic, if he actually verbalized what he has done the last two games

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
He's been OK the last few games, nothing special, but definitely deserving of more ice time than the likes of Boyle.

A lot of the players are really struggling right now. Torts bears some responsibility with his personnel decisions and ice time management for sure. But it doesn't help when so many players are stinking it up. Out of our 12 forwards, there are probably about 8 of them who look like they belong in the bottom 6 right now.
I personally don't feel like players are struggling (aside from being tired). I feel like players are playing in the wrong roles.

I don't think any of the so-called 'struggling' players would be struggling if they were used in a role that suited their skillset.

Hags/Richards/Gaborik (Scoring, balanced speed)
Kreider/Stepan/Callahan (Scoring, balanced speed)
Fedotenko/Mitchell/Anisimov(physical/capable of goals)
Rupp/Boyle/Prust (physical/defensively sound)

Mitchell/Boyle possibly swapped. Anisimov/Callahan possibly swapped. Hagelin/Kreider possible, Callahan/Gaborik possible, Stepan Richards possible

I understand Torts is balancing lines/matching skills, but being 0-2 and playing Boyle/Prust more minutes than Kreider is a joke. Kid made one big mistake and he's all of a sudden tainted. We need goals. Torts needs to stop being so selfish and let this team play hockey.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
God ,I wish torts would role 4 lines consistently
THIS.

i thought the 4th line was arguably our best line offensively and they played 6 minutes.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
If torts went into a press conference and said this, would you not think he lost his mind?

While I do like the fact that he doesn't take losing well, I think he would also look kind of stupid with some of his answers.

Example 1:

Example 2:

A reporter asks "You seem to be struggling scoring goals, any ideas on how to fix this?"

" I am going to move Brendan Prust to the Third Line, Put Brian Boyle on the Second, and Derek Stepan on the Third. Also I will be moving one of our better scoring threats Chris Kreider to the Fourth line with minimal ice time"

Since these are the lines he kept all of yesterday I would imagine that he thinks this is the answer.

He would be laughed off the mic, if he actually verbalized what he has done the last two games
I know that this is exactly what he did last night, but this was really funny for some reason. I guess if I were a neutral fan, I'd be laughing at the Rangers last night.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Jersey Girl

I agree Stepan has been OK...not good, not bad. Kinda looks like he's skating in slow motion half the time though.

Kind of a Ron Greschner type who can do a lot with minimal movement LOL.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Feds

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Feds
This is really the obvious answer.

Aside from the post-season last year where he was getting his feet wet in the NHL second season, Derek Stepan has a history of being a big game player.

Game 7, he needs to get big time minutes.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Feds
I swear if these aren't the lines on Saturday then Torts should be fired if we lose. Still can't get over how bad he coached last game

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Yankeekid07

Quote:
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Feds

I would put Feds on the 3rd and Prust on the 4th. Feds has outplayed Prust all series and deserves the minutes more

Yankeekid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
mug25

Quote:
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Feds
That's a no-brainer.

Boyle & Feds get far too much TOI as it is...

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
MDL8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Torts has been the coach for over 3 years now. When are people going to realize that noone builds up stock with him, and he awards minutes on a game by game basis?

I like Stepan, outside of a few key games, hes been pretty poor. Last night can go into that category.
Is its a shock that Stepan's best games were when he was on a line with Kreider and Cally? Wow, what a concept...put a playmaking center with wingers who can actually score goals and have some offensive ability.

Thats crazy talk. Lets keep putting him with Feds and Prust, who cant even complete the simplest of passes.

Its not so much that players are struggling...they are being used improperly.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
Is its a shock that Stepan's best games were when he was on a line with Kreider and Cally? Wow, what a concept...put a playmaking center with wingers who can actually score goals and have some offensive ability.

Thats crazy talk. Lets keep putting him with Feds and Prust, who cant even complete the simplest of passes.

Its not so much that players are struggling...they are being used improperly.
Im not arguing there. Although I am cooling on the Kreider love considering some of his ghastly play in the defensive zone.

I dont understand the decision to put Boyle between Anisimov and Callahan at all - that role should be Stepan's.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:08 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

All true, but none of it changes the fact that a player like Stepan can be poor for most of a game but create ONE scoring opportunity that ends up in their net for us and change the outcome of the game. Playing him with Feds and Pruster because he hasn't "earned the right to be a top-six player, based on his most recent performance" (which seems to be the Torts philosophy) is okay in principal but very well may bite us in the ass at the end of the day, when the reason we struggle to win games is that we can't generate quality chances. A guy like Stepan may not be consistent but he is an offensive threat... WHEN he plays with players who have offensive ability. Otherwise, he's a body in the bottom six with no real role. He should be playing in the top-six.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post

Example 1:

Example 2:

This is how I feel too. I don't mind the way our team plays and I think Torts is a good coach. I just don't think he is an adaptable coach and I am usually unhappy with his lines.

Quote:
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Feds
Yes, please. If Kreider doesn't look good (Torts has the right to sit a rookie) than just switch him and AA, and that's it. Don't start giving Prust 18 minutes of ice.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:15 PM
MDL8981

Quote:
Im not arguing there. Although I am cooling on the Kreider love considering some of his ghastly play in the defensive zone.

I dont understand the decision to put Boyle between Anisimov and Callahan at all - that role should be Stepan's.
I get that Kreider has flaws in his defensive game...we all knew this would be the case. But if you look at our 13 playoff games so far, the games we've looked the best are when Kreider was getting top 6 minutes. Because it allowed us to actually have two dangerous lines. Now that the Kreider-Steps-Cally line has been broken up, and Kreider is suffering playing 5 shifts a game with Mitchell and Rupp....we're down to one dangerous line. This makes life so easy for Hunter to matchup with the Richards line. He has nothing else to worry about. Throw his checking line against Richards, shut them down, and we're in good shape. Any idiot can matchup w that. Heck, Ottawa was able to do the same things. Everything changed in Game 6 when he put Kreider with Steps and Cally...they clicked....all of a sudden we have two top lines. Kreider makes things happen with his speed for that line ala what Hags does for the top line. It was a domino effect because it also allowed the top line to get some shifts away from the opposition's top checking line. Everyone benefitted from this.

There is no doubt in my mind that we lose to 6 in Ottawa if Kreider isnt given heavy minutes with Steps and Cally. Kreider made things happen, and Stepan's game blossomed as soon as he was given wingers who can actually do things offensively.

Kreider was the difference in that series. So now with Kreider as a pariah, we're back to where we were pre-Game 6 Ottawa. One big line. Three lines of nothing. Stepan lost playing with players who havent scored goals since the dinosaurs were roaming Earth and have the passing skills of a Pee Wee team.

NYR are 5-1 in the PO's when Kreider gets double digits TOI. 1-4 when in the single digits. Some stats like this make no sense or are a victim of small sample size. If you watch this team, you'll realize that stat is as accurate as can be.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
I get that Kreider has flaws in his defensive game...we all knew this would be the case. But if you look at our 13 playoff games so far, the games we've looked the best are when Kreider was getting top 6 minutes. Because it allowed us to actually have two dangerous lines. Now that the Kreider-Steps-Cally line has been broken up, and Kreider is suffering playing 5 shifts a game with Mitchell and Rupp....we're down to one dangerous line. This makes life so easy for Hunter to matchup with the Richards line. He has nothing else to worry about. Throw his checking line against Richards, shut them down, and we're in good shape. Any idiot can matchup w that. Heck, Ottawa was able to do the same things. Everything changed in Game 6 when he put Kreider with Steps and Cally...they clicked....all of a sudden we have two top lines. Kreider makes things happen with his speed for that line ala what Hags does for the top line. It was a domino effect because it also allowed the top line to get some shifts away from the opposition's top checking line. Everyone benefitted from this.

There is no doubt in my mind that we lose to 6 in Ottawa if Kreider isnt given heavy minutes with Steps and Cally. Kreider made things happen, and Stepan's game blossomed as soon as he was given wingers who can actually do things offensively.

Kreider was the difference in that series. So now with Kreider as a pariah, we're back to where we were pre-Game 6 Ottawa. One big line. Three lines of nothing. Stepan lost playing with players who havent scored goals since the dinosaurs were roaming Earth and have the passing skills of a Pee Wee team.

NYR are 5-1 in the PO's when Kreider gets double digits TOI. 1-4 when in the single digits. Some stats like this make no sense or are a victim of small sample size. If you watch this team, you'll realize that stat is as accurate as can be.
Washington may have changed their team style, but they are still much, much more dangerous offensively than Ottawa. You have a point about the matchups. Hunter was able to match the Brouwer line against the Richards line and it made the night easy.

On the flip side, do you really want Kreider playing top 6 minutes being matched up opposite an Ovechkin, Semin, or Backstrom? Im not so sure about that.