HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best case scenario for the worst case scenario

Old
05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

vCash: 500
Best case scenario for the worst case scenario

Alright, I know we have a gajillion threads about how our team would look with either one of Parise, Sutter, or even Semin, and I do actually think we have a fairly decent chance to land one of them (most specifically Parise), but what would be good contingency plans should none of them sign, or if Lidstrom retires. What happens if the CBA raises it to only 66 million instead of 70? Here are a couple good alternative options and rosters I would not mind seeing.

Scenario: Massive failure in luring big names, Stuart is gone, but Lids decides to re-up since the Wings lost out on Sutter. Also, the cap did not go up as planned to 70 mil, but 66.5m

-Let walk Hudler ( I like the guy, but he's going to prob be getting near 4 million, and there are better players that address our needs for that cash), as well as trading Abdelkaders RFA rights for a 5th or something. Maybe package him with Kindl for a 2nd. Emmerton is told to take a walk. Tatar is called up.

Part 2 sign two of the four or similar players for reasonable cap hits

-Try to entince a guy like Shane Doan to come here for 4ish million. Doesnt have to be him exactly, but a nice 20 g, 30a guy with physicality. Another possiblity would be Morrow

-Try to poach a guy like Chris Stewart from St. Louis. After his off-saason, I am not sure they are so high on him, and I think he could be had for relatively cheap. Before this year, he had two straight seasons of scoring in the high 20s, brings physicality and is still young. I doubt St. Louis would fail to match, but there is a possibility, and if we can snag hima t under 4 mil, the draft pick compensation wouldn't be that bad, and we just landed ourselfs a good young powerforward with lots of poetential.

-Olli Jokinen: Yes, Yes, I know Pumpkin head. But the fact of the matter is, he's big, can play center, isn't terribly two way, and is still a consistant threat for 55-65 on the second line.

Phase 3: Defense
-Assuming Lidstrom returns due to us missing out on Sutter, I'd want to go over Barret Jackman for 4.5ish million. He's an *******, but he brings pain on the blueline, and is unquestionably better than Stuart is today. Bring Smith up and we get a roster looking something like...

If Lidstrom does not come back, and we are not able to land Sutter, Jackman will not be enough, as he is moreso an upgrade of Stuart. 4.5-5 for Dennis Seidenberg may be looked at as an option.

In addition other low cost free agents that we may take a look at are Carkner, Greg Zannon (great 6th, defensive d-man) if we feel Ercisson is ready for a top 4 role full time, or even a guy like Brad Boyes, who could be had for cheap and may regain some scoring touch. I know he'll never score 35 and 43 in consecutive years again, but signing him for 1.5 mil may get us a 15-20g, 30a player.

My Custom Lineup With Doan + Stewart
FORWARDS
Chris Stewart ($4.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($4.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.700m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Jan Mursak ($0.900m) / Thomas Tatar ($0.450m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Nick Lidstrom ($5.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Barret Jackman ($4.250m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Kyle Quincy ($3.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($0.850m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Johnah Hedberg ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $66,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,550,379; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $250,379

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Brendan Morrow ($3.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.000m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.700m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Jan Mursak ($0.900m) / Thomas Tatar ($0.450m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Johnah Hedberg/UFA ($1.500m)
------
SALARY CAP: $66,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,550,379; BONUSES: $37,500

Both of these rosters have more skill, size and meaneness than last year's roster, while only being up to 66 million. If it goes to 70, we could also keep add a guy like Hudler or try to Resurrect Brad Boyes for a reasonable Price.

FORWARDS
Chris Stewart/Morrow/Doan ($4.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m/ Olli Jokinen ($4.000m / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Valterri Filppula / Jiri Hudler (3.000)
Dan Cleary (2.8M) /Darren Helm ($1.700m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Pat Eaves (1.2m) Jan Mursak ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Johnah Hedberg ($1.500m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,550,379; BONUSES: $37,500

Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 05-11-2012 at 12:52 AM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:54 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

I like this topic, it's a little more thought out than most. I'm doing a few things at once but I just wanted to comment on a couple guys-Jokinen, I wouldn't want much to do with. He's streaky and inconsistent and has a bad, bad habit of playing only when he wants to. He'd be crucified 'round these parts for the stunts he's prone to pulling. Doan I would love here as long as he is physical but doesn't cross the line into dirty (which he's done in the heat of the moment here and there but like Ovie, he's not a dirty player). Stewart can get bent. He has a horrible attitude. He's your self-entitled "I can be physical but you're not allowed!" d-bag. Every time I see him he's running a guy or jumping them in retaliation to a clean hit. I'd rather lose 82 games than have to become a ***** to win.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Kiddington

When I see names like Chris Stewart being thrown around with such frequency, I just...

He's not a UFA. St. Louis would just assume fold before trade with us (unless they completely rip us off and set us back about 10 years in the process, in which case why even bother). Offer sheet? Kenny?

It ain't happening, folks. I can appreciate a good alternative to the usual pie-in-the-sky ideas, but this is almost just as bad. At least entertaining the idea of Parise and Suter is somewhat realistic, in a sense; even if their rights are traded before July 1st, they both could still opt to test the market, and hey, maybe we get lucky. Stewart is an RFA through and through, and unless the Blues completely lose their minds and just walk away from his rights (never gonna happen, they'll get a decent package from a non-division rival if/when they do move him, and they know it), he's not available.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Doan's not leaving Phoenix.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:05 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Do we need a thread for everyone's capgeek?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Do we need a thread for everyone's capgeek?
Apparently.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
When I see names like Chris Stewart being thrown around with such frequency, I just...

He's not a UFA. St. Louis would just assume fold before trade with us (unless they completely rip us off and set us back about 10 years in the process, in which case why even bother). Offer sheet? Kenny?

It ain't happening, folks. I can appreciate a good alternative to the usual pie-in-the-sky ideas, but this is almost just as bad. At least entertaining the idea of Parise and Suter is somewhat realistic, in a sense; even if their rights are traded before July 1st, they both could still opt to test the market, and hey, maybe we get lucky. Stewart is an RFA through and through, and unless the Blues completely lose their minds and just walk away from his rights (never gonna happen, they'll get a decent package from a non-division rival if/when they do move him, and they know it), he's not available.
I know it is incredibly unlikely but Stewart should be arbitration eligible I believe. So there is a chance and I don't know how with his stats this year, but he gets a judge to award him on the past two seasons worth of stats and St. Louis walks away from his award. Not extremely likely but, possible especially in the worst possible event in my mind which is Parise or Suter buy into St. Louis' building plan and young lineup and sign there. With Parise and Tarasenko they might just cut Stewart loose.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Eternal Sunshine

tl;dr:

let's assume that in reality we don't get the top FA's, we just poach captains and RFA's from teams who wouldn't give us those players in a million years

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
We're getting neither Doan or Stewart.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Kiddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I know it is incredibly unlikely but Stewart should be arbitration eligible I believe. So there is a chance and I don't know how with his stats this year, but he gets a judge to award him on the past two seasons worth of stats and St. Louis walks away from his award. Not extremely likely but, possible especially in the worst possible event in my mind which is Parise or Suter buy into St. Louis' building plan and young lineup and sign there. With Parise and Tarasenko they might just cut Stewart loose.
No.

A player like Stewart, they're not just going to walk away from. If they don't like an arbitration award (if he even gets that far) they'll accept it anyway and just trade him the next day, and trust me, they'll find a suitor other than Detroit.

He's not coming here, it's just not happening. Apologies if I come off too blunt, but given the variables at play here, under no possible circumstance do I see him donning the winged wheel next season. Honestly, I think we have a better chance at signing both of Parise and Suter than we do landing Stewart; at least the mere potential exists for those two to become UFA's. If Stewart is moved, he will be traded; the Blues aren't just going to walk away from a player like that, and get nothing in return.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Some of you make the most asinine rosters in life.

Doan would be a terrible addition due to his money and what he's worth. Hes the most overrated player in the league but people don't realize it because hes on a ****** team. The guy is Ryan Smyth 2.0.... just plain brutal. if he played his career on a solid team, no one would talk about him.. like smyth.

Just add Hedberg and one of Suter/Parise and i will be happy.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 05:24 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Some of you make the most asinine rosters in life.

Doan would be a terrible addition due to his money and what he's worth. Hes the most overrated player in the league but people don't realize it because hes on a ****** team. The guy is Ryan Smyth 2.0.... just plain brutal. if he played his career on a solid team, no one would talk about him.. like smyth.

Just add Hedberg and one of Suter/Parise and i will be happy.
I was just giving player type examples as you would have surly read. Comprables since I didnt have a full UFA list. Sorry I'm not blatently blinded by Red Wing Homer glasses and have our master plan signing both the two most covereted UFAs and then trading for Ryan Getzlaf.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
No.

A player like Stewart, they're not just going to walk away from. If they don't like an arbitration award (if he even gets that far) they'll accept it anyway and just trade him the next day, and trust me, they'll find a suitor other than Detroit.

He's not coming here, it's just not happening. Apologies if I come off too blunt, but given the variables at play here, under no possible circumstance do I see him donning the winged wheel next season. Honestly, I think we have a better chance at signing both of Parise and Suter than we do landing Stewart; at least the mere potential exists for those two to become UFA's. If Stewart is moved, he will be traded; the Blues aren't just going to walk away from a player like that, and get nothing in return.
I agreed really, I think it is extremely unlikely. I was just pointing out a potential scenario where he gets to be a UFA. I understand that they would probably still accept his arbitration just to control his rights, but who really knows how truly disappointed they are with him in St. Louis, he was a healthy scratch a lot more than even just underachieving would answer for, seems Hitchcock and Blues brass is really at the end of the line with him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote