HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA Kings are heavy favourites to win cup

Old
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
fastvoteman

vCash: 500
This is quite silly. Kings aren't heavy favorites at all. Rangers should be 2:1 as well if they win their series. Not much of a difference statistically if you bet on rangers now or if you bet on them if they make east final.

fastvoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Sameheda

There is no such thing as "heavy favourites" this year. This should be very evident by the fact that pretty much every prediction made by "analysts" has been wrong.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:46 PM
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE

the coyotes will win the cup

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:48 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Hey, there's some straws, may I reach for them? So empty net goals don't count as goals for anymore?
but you didn't beat a goalie to score them? I'm pretty sure Mike Smith is going to be in front of the net for this entire series. You make it seem like the Kings score 3 goals a game while the other teams goalie is in net, which clearly isn't the case.

The Kings are not a better offensive team than the Predators or Blackhawks. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say the Predators are the better team. But matchups and momentum essentially make these things irrelevant, which is why the Coyotes have beaten two superior teams so far, and IMO will be the reason why they win this series. The Coyotes are not a good matchup for the Kings.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Hammer Time

Just watch. If the Rangers take Game 7, their odds will rocket up.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:20 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameheda View Post
There is no such thing as "heavy favourites" this year. This should be very evident by the fact that pretty much every prediction made by "analysts" has been wrong.
I've just awoken from my 3 week coma and presume the Penguins, Blues, Canucks and Bruins all won their series handily....

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
donkers*

I don't care about favorites or anything because each playoffs series continues to surprise me. I'm rooting for the Kings (LA native) to win but wouldn't mind if the Coyotes did instead. Just anyone but New Jersey.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:35 AM
symbology

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOTC View Post
but you didn't beat a goalie to score them? I'm pretty sure Mike Smith is going to be in front of the net for this entire series. You make it seem like the Kings score 3 goals a game while the other teams goalie is in net, which clearly isn't the case.

The Kings are not a better offensive team than the Predators or Blackhawks. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say the Predators are the better team. But matchups and momentum essentially make these things irrelevant, which is why the Coyotes have beaten two superior teams so far, and IMO will be the reason why they win this series. The Coyotes are not a good matchup for the Kings.

Kings never score more than 3 goals when a goalie is in net, yet the scored 4 on the Blues in the 1st period of game #2.

Things are irrelevant when they are against the Coyotes, but any positives for the Coyotes during the PO's are relevant? You want to use those in your argument as to why they will beat the Kings? Does this sound reasonable?

Sorry, but you are not making much sense here.

This should be a great series. It should go to 6-7 games and could go either way.

I'm hoping the Kings make it to the SCF.

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:56 AM
PHX Rising
Rookie User

I'm entirely OK with the kings as favorites, favorites have been getting beat rather badly in these playoffs

PHX Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:56 AM
MartinVanBuren

I'm cheering on the Kings, so I'm gonna put $500 on the Coyotes.

If the Coyotes win, I make some money.
If the Kings win, I'm so happy that I don't mind losing 500.

Then if the Kings proceed, I'll do the same for the Finals.

MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvoteman View Post
This is quite silly. Kings aren't heavy favorites at all. Rangers should be 2:1 as well if they win their series. Not much of a difference statistically if you bet on rangers now or if you bet on them if they make east final.
No, there is a big difference, statistically, between betting on them now and if they advance. Right now, they have about a 50% chance of advancing. If they advance, they could have 2:1 odds. They, therefore, ought to have around 4:1 odds now, and that's exactly what you see from nearly all of the bookies. That's not an accident. That's how statistics work. It's wrong to suggest that the Rangers have the same chance to win the Cup now as they will if they win Game 7. Everyone knows that that's not how it works.

If the Rangers win Saturday night, then their odds will significantly increase and they and the Kings might be considered co-favorites. Until then, though, the Rangers' odds are a lot lower. If you disagree, then you're arguing against the nature of odds, which are meant to change from moment to moment. At this moment, this is the situation. It may change a lot and no longer be true after the weekend is over (thanks to Game 7 and the WCF Game 1).

(Off-topic: To the person you PM'ed me a couple of days ago, clear out your PM box. I can't reply to you when your box is full )

Last edited by Osprey: 05-11-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:27 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Wow, bet heavily against the Kings.

Not saying they can't win, but with league parity what it is, you'd be crazy to bet on them

They beat an injury-neutered Vancouver and an inexperienced St Louis team so far...

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:42 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Wow, bet heavily against the Kings.

Not saying they can't win, but with league parity what it is, you'd be crazy to bet on them

They beat an injury-neutered Vancouver and an inexperienced St Louis team so far...
Yeah, those two scrub teams were lucky to even make the playoffs. Funny how nobody was slighting St. Louis after they dominated the Sharks, but now that they got swept the excuses come out.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Plowevelski
3 Rings, 5 Years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Yeah, those two scrub teams were lucky to even make the playoffs. Funny how nobody was slighting St. Louis after they dominated the Sharks, but now that they got swept the excuses come out.
St. Louis was the worst match up in the entire league of 29 opponents for SJ to match up against. Our coach (or someone in the org.) the stubborn Koala decided it would be good to not lose game 81 (when we clinched w/COL loss) or 82 to you guys and face St. Louis instead of that much weaker, wounded, without D. Sedin Nucks team we had beef with. Epic comeback in game 82 indeed. When Boyle scored it was a death sentence. There's also the fact we gave up points losing 5 of 6 to the lowly Ducks and were bested by Phoenix save for opening night. Could have easily ran away with the 3rd seed.

We basically shot ourselves in the foot. St. Louis are who we thought they were. We (many Sharks fans) knew the Kings would annihilate them. Bad match up for them as they were for us. Elliot also came back to earth with consistent #1 duty. That series could have been longer as well. Granted with how terrible SJ's special teams (Primarily PK) were this year we could have lost to anyone. I do recall though fairing pretty well against the Kings and the "Unbeatable" Quick and no I don't care if Carter was in the lineup or not.

I'd totally go all in for the Yotes if I was the betting man. And no hate Kings fans.. At the end of the day we both hate the Ducks.

Last edited by Plowevelski: 05-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:07 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowevelski View Post
St. Louis was the worst match up in the entire league of 29 opponents for SJ to match up against. Our coach (or someone in the org.) the stubborn Koala decided it would be good to not lose game 81 (when we clinched) or 82 to you guys and face St. Louis instead of that much weaker, wounded, without D. Sedin Nucks team we had beef with. Epic comeback in game 82 indeed. When Boyle scored it was a death sentence. There's also the fact we gave up 10 points losing 5 of 6 to the lowly Ducks and were bested by Phoenix save for opening night. Could have easily ran away with the 3rd seed.

We basically shot ourselves in the foot. St. Louis are who we thought they were. We (Sharks fans) all knew the Kings would annihilate them. Bad match up for them as they were for us. Elliot also came back to earth with consistent #1 duty. That series could have been longer as well. Granted with how terrible SJ's special teams (Primarily PK) were this year we could have lost to anyone. I do recall though fairing pretty well against the Kings and the "Unbeatable" Quick and no I don't care if Carter was in the lineup or not.

I'd totally go all in for the Yotes if I was the betting man. And no hate Kings fans.. At the end of the day we both hate the Ducks.
I find it funny that so many people try to spin the Kings' wins as luck. If Vancouver was so "hurt" why was everybody picking them to win the Cup? And that was even when Daniel was hurt. It's nothing but revisionism. Elliott played well all year, went to the All-Star game and now that he had a rough series, he's "come back down to Earth." Don't forget that St. Louis were Cup favorites too and many people predicted they would beat the Kings.

Also, do you have an excuse lined up if the Kings beat the Coyotes? And does that mean the Kings can use the Gagne and Parse excuse if they lose?

Old
05-11-2012, 03:07 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Why would I make excuses for the Blues? Do you really think the Kings have almost twice the chance of winning the Cup as NJ or Phoenix? Because that's what the odds say.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:09 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
You know the Preds finished like 20 spots higher in offense right?
You know the Kings since the trade deadline have been top 3 on offense, right?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:11 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Why would I make excuses for the Blues? Do you really think the Kings have almost twice the chance of winning the Cup as NJ or Phoenix? Because that's what the odds say.
Not at all and I never said that. I took issue with how you minimized the Kings' previous victories.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:26 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Old
05-11-2012, 04:10 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:

What a garbage post. Whether LA continues on or gets eliminated in the 3rd round, people who keep trying to minimize what they've done thus far is simply asinine.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
I find it funny that so many people try to spin the Kings' wins as luck. If Vancouver was so "hurt" why was everybody picking them to win the Cup? And that was even when Daniel was hurt. It's nothing but revisionism. Elliott played well all year, went to the All-Star game and now that he had a rough series, he's "come back down to Earth." Don't forget that St. Louis were Cup favorites too and many people predicted they would beat the Kings.
When everyone was picking the Canucks, it was assumed that D. Sedin was going to be good to go for Game 1 as Mike Gillis had been hinting. Kesler's shoulder injury and Bieksa's abdominal injury weren't disclosed either, although fans did notice a drop-off in their play in the past couple months. Raymond's back injury from the SCF and Malhotra's eye injury from that puck to the eye against Colorado were known about obviously, but that's different.

As for St Louis, they were missing Halak and Petro was playing hurt. Put Bernier in net and have Doughty miss a couple games and play hurt, and that's a whole different series.

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:25 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
When everyone was picking the Canucks, it was assumed that D. Sedin was going to be good to go for Game 1 as Mike Gillis had been hinting. Kesler's shoulder injury and Bieksa's abdominal injury weren't disclosed either, although fans did notice a drop-off in their play in the past couple months. Raymond's back injury from the SCF and Malhotra's eye injury from that puck to the eye against Colorado were known about obviously, but that's different.

As for St Louis, they were missing Halak and Petro was playing hurt. Put Bernier in net and have Doughty miss a couple games and play hurt, and that's a whole different series.
LA beat Vancouver with Daniel and STL with Petro.

Maybe you didn't get the memo that almost all of the players are playing hurt right now. Stop trying to minimize what LA has done with your pathetic excuses. It's all sour grapes coming from a fan of a loser team at this moment.

For the record, LA would probably have beaten STL anyway with Bernier in net and without Doughty. They play a team game where one player doesn't make or break a series.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 05-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 04:26 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Now I've heard every excuse in the book. St. Louis, one game away from the President's trophy, got swept because they were inexperienced???

Old
05-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
What a garbage post. Whether LA continues on or gets eliminated in the 3rd round, people who keep trying to minimize what they've done thus far is simply asinine.
I think people are trying to put it in perspective. Yes, Kings fans have reason to be excited about their WCF appearance, but when they trash on their previous opponents, they should also understand that quite a bit of luck played into where they are today.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
LA beat Vancouver with Daniel and STL with Petro.

Maybe you didn't get the memo that almost all of the players are playing hurt right now. Stop trying to minimize what LA has done with you pathetic excuses. It's all sour grapes coming from a fan of a loser team at this moment.

For the record, LA would probably have beaten STL anyway with Bernier in net and without Doughty. They play a team game where one player doesn't make or break a series.
Daniel came back for game 4, when the series was already 3-0. No margin for error by the time he was back.

I'm saying try to beat a healthy Blues team with Bernier in net and Doughty out for a game and playing hurt the rest of the time. See, perspective...