HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA Kings are heavy favourites to win cup

Old
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
If the Rangers make the finals, they will be bruised beyond belief blocking so many shots. The fact LA has only played 9 games so far should help then come later in the playoffs

I sort of find it funny in the West that the 2 teams left are from the "weakest" division.

What? The only divisions that you can even argue was stronger than the Pacific are the Central and the Atlantic.

The Pacific was at least the third best division.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Elliot20

LA is pretty good.

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

I'm in the gambling industry, and a lot of cappers i know are pounding Rangers hard.

Vegas only kept putting the Kings line down to limit exposure, because they do realize how hot they are. With them being the favorite does not necesarily mean that they think they're the front runners to win.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:29 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
What? The only divisions that you can even argue was stronger than the Pacific are the Central and the Atlantic.

The Pacific was at least the third best division.
Fair enough, my point was that all 3 teams that made the playoffs in the pacific had the lowest point totals(ie if they seated teams based on point they would be 6-8th)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Meh, the luck thing has been covered by fellow Kings fans so there's no point in reiterating it. If you want to believe LA won because of luck.. or word it in a way that makes what was said previously seem less than what it was, fine.

Luck, no luck, whatever. LA is playing in the WCF. That's all that matters to me.

I would like an explination as to the STL lost to LA because of inexperience though. If that is true, how did they manage to romp a more experienced SJ team? Lemme guess... STL got lucky?
I thought that as an inexperienced team (and one that basically played playoff-style hockey all season), St Louis was very vulnerable to an upset from the beginning of the playoffs. Teams relying on inexperienced players tend to not handle adversity well. Just look at Brian Elliot (only starting because Halak was injured, right?) LA got in his head early and he never recovered. If Elliot could have stolen a game or two, the series wouldn't have been so one-sided. It doesn't make LA lucky to have won; they obviously deserved the win. I just don't think sweeping St Louis should make LA the runaway favorites.

Quote:
I honestly don't mean to come across as a dick, but aren't you really saying that you take issue with LA being annoited the favorites rather than whatever team it is that you are cheering for?
Nope. My issue that that it's crazy that LA is "the odds on favorite" and that anyone who wants to play the odds should bet on another team given the odds in the original post would give you a much bigger payoff for any of the other remaining teams.

I'm really not saying what you think I'm saying.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:26 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I thought that as an inexperienced team (and one that basically played playoff-style hockey all season), St Louis was very vulnerable to an upset from the beginning of the playoffs. Teams relying on inexperienced players tend to not handle adversity well. Just look at Brian Elliot (only starting because Halak was injured, right?) LA got in his head early and he never recovered. If Elliot could have stolen a game or two, the series wouldn't have been so one-sided. It doesn't make LA lucky to have won; they obviously deserved the win. I just don't think sweeping St Louis should make LA the runaway favorites.
I don't diagree at all with the point that LA shouldn't be considered favorites because of sweeping STL or beating VAN in 5. No argument with that whatsoever. My only issue, and I think what other Kings fans feel, is that people try to marginalize what LA has done. They may or may not beat PHX. They may or may not win a cup this year, but one thing is for sure... they deserve to be in the WCFs.

People are talking about luck, injuries, inexperience, etc.. but consider that VAN did perfectly fine WITHOUT Daniel in the regular season, including shutting out LA and pertty much dominating that game. They went on a 8-1 run or something like that without Daniel.. why is it an excuse for them losing in Rd 1 now?

Consider Elliott came on in relief of Halak vs SJ and put up incredible numbers and closed them out. Inexperience wasn't a factor then so why should it be vs LA? Also, the Pietrangelo hit was unfortunate and STL lost their best player, but let's be honest here... as good as he is, and as great as he will be, he's no series breaker at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Nope. My issue that that it's crazy that LA is "the odds on favorite" and that anyone who wants to play the odds should bet on another team given the odds in the original post would give you a much bigger payoff for any of the other remaining teams.

I'm really not saying what you think I'm saying.
To be honest, I think it's pretty crazy too. I don't believe for a second LA should be the odds on favorite. My belief is that any 1 of the 4 teams (depending who advances in the NYR/WAS series) has an equal chance to go all the way. Parity in the league = no clear favorite.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
If the Rangers make the finals, they will be bruised beyond belief blocking so many shots. The fact LA has only played 9 games so far should help then come later in the playoffs

Yes, they arent bruised beyond belief blocking shots from October, November, December, January, February, March, April or May.

It only matters when theyre about to play Los Angeles.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
skolgoar

Wait, I thought that the NYR were lucky to be facing the Caps 3rd string rookie goalie who had played a total of 21 NHL games before this year's playoffs. Or that they came from behind when Ward's stick clipped a NYR and they were able to score on both penalties. Most people would say that luck is a much bigger factor in a 7 game series with a ton of overtime games where bad ice can cost a team a game, than when a team is dominated from start to finish, such as in the Blues series, where a team with the exact same point total as the NYR only had a lead for a total of 7 mins in the whole series.

skolgoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:57 PM
joe89

Not surprising at this point. But if Rangers win tomorrow their odds will come in somewhere between LA and NJD.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
Yes, they arent bruised beyond belief blocking shots from October, November, December, January, February, March, April or May.

First of all, why do you have to make everything about the Kings? Do you have some sort of vendetta? That was a comment about the Rangers; the Kings are irrelevant.

Second of all, who says they're about to play the Kings? They still have to win 2 more series, and even then, they might be facing the Coyotes.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:19 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
I don't believe for a second LA should be the odds on favorite.
Point of order. They're not.

They're a favorite, yes (defined as "having the best odds"), but the definition of an "odds-on" favorite, to the best of my understanding, is if the odds dip below 1:1 (meaning that the oddsmakers believe they have better than a 50% chance of winning, therefore any payout would be less than twice the money originally bet).

At 2:1, they are a long way from being "odds-on" favorites.

You may now all return to bickering.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

And with this starting of this thread the Kings have finally received the Goocher and will most assuredly not win the cup.

We almost got there.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Point of order. They're not.

They're a favorite, yes (defined as "having the best odds"), but the definition of an "odds-on" favorite, to the best of my understanding, is if the odds dip below 1:1 (meaning that the oddsmakers believe they have better than a 50% chance of winning, therefore any payout would be less than twice the money originally bet).

At 2:1, they are a long way from being "odds-on" favorites.

You may now all return to bickering.
I take your word for it HansH. Your on top of these things.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
And with this starting of this thread the Kings have finally received the Goocher and will most assuredly not win the cup.

We almost got there.
Yup, might as well not play the games -- cause we all know that starting threads on a web message board directly affects the outcome of games played by professional athletes...

*headdesk*

C'mon, there's superstition, and then there's outright divorce from reality.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Yup, might as well not play the games -- cause we all know that starting threads on a web message board directly affects the outcome of games played by professional athletes...

*headdesk*

What's the difference between the two?

Seriously, I can't see a difference.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
What's the difference between the two?

Seriously, I can't see a difference.
Degree. IMO.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:32 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Basically what I'm seeing is Phx and NJD just getting underplayed compared to everyone else. Forgetting LA's huge line, say I want to bet one of the NYR or WAS lines and I give the Rangers a 60% chance of winning tomorrow with home ice, and the Caps 40%. If my math is correct, that means that what I'm really betting on is that if the Rangers win tomorrow, I'm pegging them at a 41.6% chance in the Final 4. Using the same calculation puts the Caps at 38.4%. Clearly... those are high numbers. And we know LA's number is high. Phx and NJD are basically just getting shat on. But in reality... nobody's betting them right now

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:39 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:

*headdesk*

Yep, because sometimes obvious sarcasm is just so obvious that it seems like one single poster out of an entire website full of posters seems to miss it.

Congrabulations!!!!!!

Head explodes

Old
05-11-2012, 09:40 PM
WingsFan95

Odds vary from site to site, but the OP is generally in the ballpark.

The Rangers odds are obviously pending.

I do find this surprising, because if anyone can dig up the odds on the Ducks I do not believe they were as well favored in their 03 run.

This despite Anaheim also being close to Vegas and going 8-2 in their first two rounds AND winning in a sweep in the Conference Finals I believe the Devils were still favored.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:46 PM
TimeParadox*

The gambling gurus get it right most of the times.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

We almost got there.
I get what your saying. It's why I keep this crappy Clowe avatar, haven't changed my underwear since mid-April, etc.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:35 PM
BMOK33

Quote:

I sort of find it funny in the West that the 2 teams left are from the "weakest" division.
I would say the longer series would more be a factor than anything specific such as just the shot blocking. Last year's Bruins were the only team to win having played 3 game 7s. Its also a fact that when you force yourself to the brink 3 or 4 times there is a decent risk sooner or later a call or bounce is not going to go your way in one of those game 7s.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:42 PM
TimeParadox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
New York is out of the dance come saturday night. I'm rooting for the Kings. Good band wagon to be on - real hard team to root against. Bunch of players who have finally brought it as a group when it's been important. Not to mention Quick is something special and a real treat to watch.
Maybe not. Maybe, New York gets to meet New Jersey and promptly disposes of them.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Some drunk dick who is part of the 1 percent dropped 5,000,000,000,000 on the Kings to win the cup.

Nothing to see here... Move along.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:35 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post

You're replying to a guy who isn't even a Kings fan, yet you still take shots at LA? Good grief.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote