HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings GM Lombardi feels indebted to pair of mentors

Old
05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Kings GM Lombardi feels indebted to pair of mentors

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=631349

Very interesting read.

I especially found this part interesting:

(describing conversations with Clarke)

"Sitting in his office was a great education. Every third word to come out of his mouth is 'team.' If you ever want to see venom come out of his mouth, just talk about something that is selfish. There is nothing that irritates him more than selfishness. It's pure anger."

When players have come here, they often remark on how tight the room is. This team really plays hard for each other, whether its busting ass on the ice or dropping the gloves for each other. When Kopi drops them, well, that speaks volumes. A lot of this team mentality can be attributed to the quote above.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:04 AM
zeppelin97

vCash: 500
Lamoriello also broke out his "charts". It was Lamoriello that introduced charts to Lombardi it seems - this wasn't something of his own device.

Quote:
Lamoriello invited Lombardi into his office in New Jersey and proceeded to unload all of his trade secrets on the young, brash, bold and quick-thinking new member of the NHL's fraternity of general managers.

"I'll never forget him taking me into his office, missing his own team bus, and putting up his organizational chart and explaining to me how an organization has to have structure if it is going to succeed," said Lombardi, now in his sixth season as the Kings' GM. "He gave me his blueprint. It was amazing. He wasn't even talking about his team, he was talking about his organization. But his point was if you're going to have a winning culture, this has to be in order. I still have the files, the quotes he gave me."

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote