HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An Appeal To NBC Sports Network For Excellence

Old
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
An Appeal To NBC Sports Network For Excellence

Hi guys!

Been a while...

Anyways I have an important message, one I'm sure you all share with me. The broadcasting on NBC Sports Network has been utterly subpar.

Bob Miller needs to be calling the games. This is not merely a Kings fan opinion, but a hockey fans opinion. Mindless chatter is sucking the life out of the broadcasts. Bob Miller is the man to rectify this. We all know it. So let us shout it, LOUDLY!

I have written a letter and sent it to nbcsportshelp@nbcuni.com, gbettman@nhl.com

The only way to even have a shot in the dark of affecting change is for the masses to unite. So please, if you agree with me, send the letter yourself. There is a pdf of it here: http://lakingsnews.files.wordpress.c...excellence.pdf

The article itself lay: http://lakingsnews.com/2012/05/09/an...or-excellence/

Tweet it. Facebook it. Email it. It couldn't be more easy. Enough copy and pastes and we will be heard.

If you are a cynic and think this is all nonsense, then you must not be believing the Kings incredible run this season either.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-09-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Removed link to banned site
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
SLang

Will do.

Link this video if you can as an example of the crap announcing.....this really pissed me off - unfortunately it doesn't have a whole lot of pre-goal chatter - but believe me, it was mindless, and had NOTHING to do with the play on the ice.....just "blah blah blah blah BROWN SCORES!!!" You can just get the gist of it at the VERY beginning of the clip.

This is not quality play by play.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Happy to help, but that link doesn't work.
Bah, hfboards is blocking it out.

Let me figure this out...

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Will do.

Link this video if you can as an example of the crap announcing.....this really pissed me off - unfortunately it doesn't have a whole lot of pre-goal chatter - but believe me, it was mindless, and had NOTHING to do with the play on the ice.....just "blah blah blah blah BROWN SCORES!!!" You can just get the gist of it at the VERY beginning of the clip.

This is way I'm glad I could switch to the TSN feed in Canada. Much, much better. And no Milbury either, so double bonus.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

get over it and move on. Are we really going to complain about this the whole way to the finals?

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
There is no way they're ever going to put Bob Miller on these broadcasts. Ranger fans would want Sam Rosen on them just the same as Bob. They're not changing anything.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
There is no way they're ever going to put Bob Miller on these broadcasts. Ranger fans would want Sam Rosen on them just the same as Bob. They're not changing anything.
Exactly.

There are contracts and other things involved as well.

I love Bob and I hope Nick would be gracious and let him call any potential clinching game in the finals so all of us could hear Bob's call. And after that maybe Bob could call it a career and let Nick take over the TV spot.

Bob is a legend and icon to all of us, but lets be honest he has lost a step or two the past couple of seasons, much like Bob Cole on HNIC. I don't want Bob to be messing up names and being behind the play on National TV. I wouldn't want the hockey world to remember Bob Miller for that.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Whiskeypete

no way I absolutely love P Maguire's senseless rattling on about "he played his juniors at xxxx", "he's a great western canada boy"......dude is rattling ********* of hot air

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

If you are a cynic and think this is all nonsense, then you must not be believing the Kings incredible run this season either.
I like you as a poster JDM but this is kind of a dumb statement. If we don't get on board with what you want then we are cynics and don't believe in the team?

This is a pointless endeavor. The broadcasting teams are already under contract and the rights to televise NHL playoff games belongs to NBC. NBC isn't going to care about a few message board fans starting an internet uprising and even if they did, why would they hire one team's announcers over the other and alienate half the viewers? Because of an internet petition? Good luck with that.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Not gonna happen.

I'm just thankful we get the Post Game shows.

Which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WestCoastBiasFilms/videos

Thrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

after Bob Miller's legendary call when Gretzky broke Howe's record, I've always wondered what he'd say when the Kings took home the cup. Watching these games without Bob and Jim is like leaving your best friend home at your wedding.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
no way I absolutely love P Maguire's senseless rattling on about "he played his juniors at xxxx", "he's a great western canada boy"......dude is rattling ********* of hot air
I agree, especially about the juniors part. I think Pierre sometimes forgets when he is on NBC and who his audience is. He might as well be speaking Greek when he says "The former Chicoutimi Sagueneens star" or "Windsor Spitfires product" the only thing the average American viewer may know about Windsor is the time they blacked out there on their 19th birthday.

Bob often mentions where a guy played college hockey "Spent two years at Boston College" , "Played three seasons at The University of Michigan" But those clearly known teams/schools to his viewers and I enjoy when he does that.

Last edited by Herby: 05-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
after Bob Miller's legendary call when Gretzky broke Howe's record, I've always wondered what he'd say when the Kings took home the cup. Watching these games without Bob and Jim is like leaving your best friend home at your wedding.
Then the Kings should have won the cup in 1993.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
I'd rather listen to Bob call the game through his ass Ace Ventura style than listen to Pierre "my bald head looks like a penis" MacGuire.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

My roommate calls the guy between the benches "the voyeur". That is what Pierre Maguire is referred to in my house. He is a creepy hockey voyeur. "Sidney Crosby just passed some gas and let me tell you, Doc, it smells like cinnamon".

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:37 PM
SCARFACE909

It is what it is. What gives Kings' fans the right to petition to have THEIR guy call games, NYR, PHX and NJ (who Doc called for years) would want their guy. NBC has their guys and that's that.

Yes, I'm a Kings fan and love Bob as much as the next Kings fan, but I just accept how the contracts and everything is set and don't cry about it. Yes, Bob isn't calling the games, but it's not like him and Jim aren't there experiencing it live, I'm sure they're having a hell of a time as we all our on their run so far.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'm aware its unlikely. That won't stop me from trying or at the very least, making myself heard.

Oh, and Maynard, if there wasn't a little bit of inflammatory goading involved, then it just wouldn't be me

Old
05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Sam Rosen isn't a legendary broadcaster.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I feel bad for Bob and Jim. Some nice sentiment on your part but I don't see much coming out of this.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
It is what it is. What gives Kings' fans the right to petition to have THEIR guy call games, NYR, PHX and NJ (who Doc called for years) would want their guy. NBC has their guys and that's that.

Yes, I'm a Kings fan and love Bob as much as the next Kings fan, but I just accept how the contracts and everything is set and don't cry about it. Yes, Bob isn't calling the games, but it's not like him and Jim aren't there experiencing it live, I'm sure they're having a hell of a time as we all our on their run so far.
You shouldn't just accept it. At least make your opinion known. In the technological age in which we live, I find it hard to believe that we couldn't add optional audio streams to television channels. Seriously, if the powers that be put in a little effort, I'm sure they could add different audio feeds to choose from.

Sure, this letter will probably fall on deaf ears, but at least it makes the NHL aware that its most dedicated fans also show dedication to their broadcasters. Especially when we're talking about broadcasters with an extensive history with their team and, even more so, with ones who are widely recognized of remaining un-biased in their calls.

I don't expect this to accomplish anything, but I still sent the e-mails so that at least they know what I'd prefer.

It would be so awesome if they listened. I haven't been able to watch one Kings playoff game and hear Bob and Jim call it.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Agree. I have friends around the country and they all feel their announcers are the best. I love Bob and Jim but I have not missed them at all during this run. One thing I do notice is the the NBC cameras are better than the Fox Sports West feeds.
Hey if anything have FWS, PT, or KCOP step up and televise the games like they do for Laker games on FSW/KCAL.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Will do.

That's not the only time either. The shorty Greene scored during game one, the announcers were rambling on and on right up until Brown shot the puck, and Greene put it in. I swear you could almost tell the producers were saying in their ears " Brown's about to score, pay attention'. I really thought they were going to miss calling it when I watched it live.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Hi guys!

Been a while...

Anyways I have an important message, one I'm sure you all share with me. The broadcasting on NBC Sports Network has been utterly subpar.

Bob Miller needs to be calling the games. This is not merely a Kings fan opinion, but a hockey fans opinion. Mindless chatter is sucking the life out of the broadcasts. Bob Miller is the man to rectify this. We all know it. So let us shout it, LOUDLY!

I have written a letter and sent it to nbcsportshelp@nbcuni.com, gbettman@nhl.com

The only way to even have a shot in the dark of affecting change is for the masses to unite. So please, if you agree with me, send the letter yourself. There is a pdf of it here: http://lakingsnews.files.wordpress.c...excellence.pdf

The article itself lay: http://lakingsnews.com/2012/05/09/an...or-excellence/

Tweet it. Facebook it. Email it. It couldn't be more easy. Enough copy and pastes and we will be heard.

Done and done...good job.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
TROLLPOSO

Won't Emrick be calling the finals? He can make toast cooking exciting. I swear he sounds like he may burst an artery when calling some of these Ranger games. GO Kings!

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Won't Emrick be calling the finals? He can make toast cooking exciting. I swear he sounds like he may burst an artery when calling some of these Ranger games. GO Kings!
He probably will. I respect Emrick, but personally he isn't my cup of tea. His washboard voice grinds on me after a while, and to me excellent broadcasting doesn't come from turning every little play into Custer's Last Stand.