HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Proposals/Trades/Signings: Anxiously waiting

View Poll Results: Would you sign Semin to a 1-year deal
No, don't want him near the Leafs dressing room 83 51.23%
Yes, he could be dynamite with Grabovski and Kulemin 79 48.77%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
11'/12' Offseason Proposals/Trades/Signings: Anxiously waiting

Continue here folks.

05-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I see how it is MM. stealing my thunder.

Ill bring other post here.

Quote:
Actually Grabovski and Liles would be my preference, I know you guys think lupul is a leader per say but not compared to those two. Armstrong and Komisarek would have been a leader if their performance and injuries didn't get in the way IMO. I really hope in the Upcoming season the coach and team can find a solid voice to follow, aside from a respected veteran.

05-11-2012, 07:40 AM
samwitch

Grabovski is definitely a leader on the ice. He leads by example. Every forward should play as hard as him. For a small guy, he wins a ton of puck battles. Love the guy.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:44 AM
416Leafer

Funny that very few people are mentioning Schenn as a potential guy to get an "A", when a few years ago he was reguluarly labelled as our future Captain.

To be clear, I dont think he should get a letter, he needs to fix his own game before he can start worrying about leading his teammates, its just funny how things change after a few years.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Funny that very few people are mentioning Schenn as a potential guy to get an "A", when a few years ago he was reguluarly labelled as our future Captain.

To be clear, I dont think he should get a letter, he needs to fix his own game before he can start worrying about leading his teammates, its just funny how things change after a few years.
just another example of how Wilson really ****ed Schenn

hopefully Carlyle can get him back on track and with confidence can become a leader on this team but its going to be baby steps for Schenn and he needs to focus on regaining his own game before leading anyone else

Old
05-11-2012, 08:26 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

I'm pretty confident Schenn will have a good year this upcoming season. Expectations are extremely low and I think Carlyle's system is tailored well to his style (as well as Komisarek's).

Old
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post

hopefully Carlyle can get him back on track and with confidence can become a leader on this team but its going to be baby steps for Schenn and he needs to focus on regaining his own game before leading anyone else
I'm not sure who is managing Luke's career, but I'd fire that person and get him someone who understands what is needed.

Anton Stralman would never be considered a strong man, or eraser, or future captain, but he's good enough to play on a top team in the league.

You don't have to be the most physical player on the ice to be effective, especially if you are often a step behind on making your hits. Sideboards take more punishment than any opposition player.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
05-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

He's a leader but our lockerroom back then was pretty crap compared to now. We have more stronger players really, only reason we are crapping the bed is mainly due to our goaltending and just overall team collapse as one steps forward the other steps back.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Come Speculate With Me. "A Veteran Prescence On The Blueline With Dion"

There's no one who listens to Burke's presser more than I do.

I'm actually surprised that no one is talking about this. Both BB and RC are on the same page with Dion: "He needs a veteran prescence with him on the blue line".

I think you can forget all this hubub about Schultz coming over here. Suter? I don't know if he fits that yet. He's a great hockey player, but he's not a veteran. The other thing is i just can't see the Leafs having the cap space to bring him here.

I think you can rule out putting Komi on the top line with him too. He's really not the same player that he was.

Not veterans: Gunn, Gardiner, Schenn, Franson, and Holzer.

Liles is veteran, but I don't think he compliments Dion. The two of them on the ice together would be a defensive liability.

I am of the opinion that Dion would be used much more effectively on the 2nd line, but If BB & RC want Dion to stay on the top line who do you think this veteran will be? What type of player? Maybe more of a stay at home kind of d-man?

What do you think?

You can name names. I want to know who and how.

Please/Thanks

Old
05-11-2012, 08:57 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Suter has played 6 seasons. What do you consider a veteran?

Old
05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
RomanianLeafs

komisarek

Old
05-11-2012, 09:00 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Suter has played 6 seasons. What do you consider a veteran?
Someone who's been in the pros around 10-12 seasons. Around age 30.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Robyn Regehr had a pretty rough year in Buffalo. If there were no personality conflicts between him and Dion in Calgary, he could be a perfect fit. Seems like exactly the veteran presence Komi was supposed to be.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Robyn Regehr had a pretty rough year in Buffalo. If there were no personality conflicts between him and Dion in Calgary, he could be a perfect fit. Seems like exactly the veteran presence Komi was supposed to be.
Hahaha. I like your username.

I think RR is a good suggestion. Do we know if they can get along?

Old
05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
416Leafer

We just need more consistency from our blueline, and we could really use a #2 or #3 shutdown defensive type of defenceman. I'm not saying a superstar guy like Weber/Chara/etc. A Willie Mitchell (but younger), Dan Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tallinder, etc.

Liles is expendable, but he needs to play to up his value. It would be hard to move him at this point with his contract, he was pretty terrible after his injury. He's expendable because Phaneuf/Gardiner/Franson are all offensive defencemen, and Blacker/Percy should bring some offence as well.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
We just need more consistency from our blueline, and we could really use a #2 or #3 shutdown defensive type of defenceman. I'm not saying a superstar guy like Weber/Chara/etc. A Willie Mitchell (but younger), Dan Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tallinder, etc.

Liles is expendable, but he needs to play to up his value. It would be hard to move him at this point with his contract, he was pretty terrible after his injury. He's expendable because Phaneuf/Gardiner/Franson are all offensive defencemen, and Blacker/Percy should bring some offence as well.

Couple of UFA's this summer may help. Barret Jackman in STL and Bryan Allen.
Both physical players who are solid defensively. Not sure what the salary will be though.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Both physical players who are solid defensively. Not sure what the salary will be though.
I like this. A step in the right direction.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually Grabovski and Liles would be my preference, I know you guys think lupul is a leader per say but not compared to those two. Armstrong and Komisarek would have been a leader if their performance and injuries didn't get in the way IMO. I really hope in the Upcoming season the coach and team can find a solid voice to follow, aside from a respected veteran.
Liles I could see as a permanent alternate as well. I just don't want to end up having too many alternates as defensemen. I think we had that with Phaneuf, Komisarek and Kaberle for a bit, too many on the back end. When people are on the bench, in general the defense are at one end and the forwards at the other. I think it would be best if there are more/equal number of forward alternates as defense so they can easily talk to the other players during a game. Usually there are 12 forwards and only 6 defense, got to have someone up with the forwards, coaches can't do it all.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
One player that I think we will end up signing (probably for too much money and later hating Burke for it) is Langenbrunner. Former captain of NJD, was an alternate this past year with St. Louis and probably most importantly, he is an american.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
One player that I think we will end up signing (probably for too much money and later hating Burke for it) is Langenbrunner. Former captain of NJD, was an alternate this past year with St. Louis and probably most importantly, he is an american.
If you think about it, Langenbrunner or Arnott would have probably been better additions last year, than Connolly. Both made about half as much and would bring more of a physical presence and some much needed leadership.

Definintely need to add some size and grit this summer, but need to stay away from overpaying some free agents for the sake of it. We have a number of players on the Marlies who can make the jump to the NHL next year.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post

...and here i thought Schenn's problems were his lack of mobility, slowness in reaction, and his overall horse chips play

Old
05-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Liles I could see as a permanent alternate as well. I just don't want to end up having too many alternates as defensemen. I think we had that with Phaneuf, Komisarek and Kaberle for a bit, too many on the back end. When people are on the bench, in general the defense are at one end and the forwards at the other. I think it would be best if there are more/equal number of forward alternates as defense so they can easily talk to the other players during a game. Usually there are 12 forwards and only 6 defense, got to have someone up with the forwards, coaches can't do it all.
He almost the next captain of the avalanche, so I definitely could see him taking that A permanently. I really hope we do sign Langbrunner, we really need a veteran in our team and get some leadership to get the young boys running when they decide to not show up.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
hdtrax

Holzer-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Schenn
Liles-Allen/Jackman/Huskins

Deal Gunnar, Franson and Komi for suitable returns. If our younger d-men progress as expected, then the first 2 of these (who have good trade value) can get us something to work with in our forward corps.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
...and here i thought Schenn's problems were his lack of mobility, slowness in reaction, and his overall horse chips play
Schenn looked capable early on and I think most would agree looked capable of becoming a true shut down dman. Then as he lost his confidence and was miss handled he really took a nose dive. that's how i saw it.

I never liked how Wilson handled players and how he included/used the media regarding situations like this.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:37 AM
416Leafer

One big problem is the veterans we do have, we want to get rid of. It'd be nice to add a veteran D and a veteran forward, but we also want room on the roster for Kadri/Frattin/Holzer next year.

Only way we can make room for those young guys while also adding a veteran or two is if essentially all of LACK gets dumped (very unrealistic), or we move guys like Crabb/Steckel/Franson.

Closed Thread