HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Why Is Byfuglien Not Talked About?

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Why Is Byfuglien Not Talked About?

Dustin Byfuglien of the Prince George Cougars is leading his club in three very interesting categories. He leads in goals, points per game, and penalty minutes. Surely the trio of stats should've gotten him some recognition by Hockey Canada, and I wonder if at all he was considered for the Russia Series and/or Junior Camp.

I mean, the guy stands 6'3 and weighs well over 220lbs. His on-ice vision seems to be excellent, and he's a treat to watch on the powerplay.

The guy impressed me so much, I couldn't pass on talking to him after the game. Check it out:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
12-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Dustin Byfuglien of the Prince George Cougars is leading his club in three very interesting categories. He leads in goals, points per game, and penalty minutes. Surely the trio of stats should've gotten him some recognition by Hockey Canada, and I wonder if at all he was considered for the Russia Series and/or Junior Camp.

I mean, the guy stands 6'3 and weighs well over 220lbs. His on-ice vision seems to be excellent, and he's a treat to watch on the powerplay.

The guy impressed me so much, I couldn't pass on talking to him after the game. Check it out:

The fact that he's an American might have something to do with it.

Old
12-15-2004, 06:28 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

He leads the team in Goals and Points and hes a defensman???

Old
12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
The fact that he's an American might have something to do with it.
Bah!

Temporary lapse in memory. Stupid thing was I made mention of him being American in that article.

Still though, it is interesting that he didn't get a look with Team USA. He brings a presence, that's for certain.

Old
12-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
He leads the team in Goals and Points and hes a defensman???
Not points, points per game. He was one shy of the team lead with six fewer games played I believe.

He also leads in PIM.

Old
12-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Bah!

Temporary lapse in memory. Stupid thing was I made mention of him being American in that article.

Still though, it is interesting that he didn't get a look with Team USA. He brings a presence, that's for certain.
After the way they won last year, the US might have been scared of players who score goals on their own net.

Old
12-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
There was actually a relatively big article written by a local writer that Dustin likely didn't even get a sniff because partly due to the fact he plays in the WHL and in Prince George...blah blah blah...coach/management are quoted as saying they didn't even get 1 call regarding Dustin and that they were kinda shocked...

The reporter is slightly homeristic - but I mean, he did bring up some valid points.

Anyways, back on topic...I agree, Byfuglien should definitely get some more play around here. If the Cougars had a deeper defense, I think he'd likely be a better fit up front, although he claims to enjoy playing defense better...He'd also probably have a better shot w/the Hawks up front as opposed to on the back end

Old
12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Plager05

His name means "ugly twice" in German

Can he skate well?
Is he really slow?
Injury or temperament problems?

Old
12-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Teemu

the Team USA WJC said that they intentionally refused all players playing in the WHL for their team

Old
12-15-2004, 07:54 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
the Team USA WJC said that they intentionally refused all players playing in the WHL for their team
..And people in Eastern Canada complain that the WHL has too many players at Team Canada's camp.

Old
12-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
What do they have against the dub, that they don't have against, say, the OHL?

Old
12-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05
His name means "ugly twice" in German

Can he skate well?
Is he really slow?
Injury or temperament problems?
It was really hard to gauge Bubba when I saw him play. He was literally always in the correct position, whether it be offensively or defensively. I guess that sort of speaks volumes about his ability to read the play, something he's said he prides himself on.

Old
12-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Vinland

He isn't overly highly spoken of in part because he is 6'3 and 265 plus pounds. Not muscle either.

Old
12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinland
He isn't overly highly spoken of in part because he is 6'3 and 265 plus pounds. Not muscle either.
He's actually 245 now, a drop of 20 pounds, which in my mind is considerable. I'd imagine it's due in part to him playing roughly 40 minutes a night, a feat that only a very select few WHL players accomplish.

I know my skinny ass couldn't play 40 minutes a game!

Old
12-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Vinland

Quote:
He's actually 245 now, a drop of 20 pounds, which in my mind is considerable. I'd imagine it's due in part to him playing roughly 40 minutes a night, a feat that only a very select few WHL players accomplish.

I know my skinny ass couldn't play 40 minutes a game!
He is listed by PG as 264 and at times last season was as high as 285.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
He is listed as that in the WHL Media Guide as well, which came out before the season. Teams do not make it a habit of habitually updating player vitals.

I've seen the guy in nothing but a t-shirt and shorts, he's not 264.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I don't know if you're being facetious or not, but it is true that not many WHL players were being considered. I think the only one at the camp this summer was Brandon Dubinsky. Next year might be a bit differant with a guy like Mike Sauer likely on the radar.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Bah!

Not really a surprise, as a guy like Matt Nickerson, who shares many similarities, and was at the Summer camp was left off the roster as well.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:46 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Yes, and the Cougars also update their website slightly more often than the United States has a federal election.

Byfuglien is quite noticeably thinner than he was even at the start of this season.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I've seen the guy in nothing but a t-shirt and shorts, he's not 264.
Admit it, you saw him nakkid

As for this thread, I have to admit being intrigued by many WHLers this year from a statistical standpoint. I can't watch them.

Byfuglien is one. I would like to know more about this player and particularly, on his chance to translate his game at the NHL level. I know he is generally considered risky but what about top upside?

Another player I would love to see this year: Clayton Stoner. Statistically has me taking notice. Awesome stats, awesome vitals too, of course. From what I have seen in the past he was a hardworking guy but I never expected that kind of offense. Is he making major strides or is he just being lucky on a hot streak?

Not that it needs to be said again but... the quality of defensemen in the WHL is INSANE. It's always been recognized but it looks like an all-time high as far as dominance, IMO.

Old
12-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Admit it, you saw him nakkid

As for this thread, I have to admit being intrigued by many WHLers this year from a statistical standpoint. I can't watch them.

Byfuglien is one. I would like to know more about this player and particularly, on his chance to translate his game at the NHL level. I know he is generally considered risky but what about top upside?

Another player I would love to see this year: Clayton Stoner. Statistically has me taking notice. Awesome stats, awesome vitals too, of course. From what I have seen in the past he was a hardworking guy but I never expected that kind of offense. Is he making major strides or is he just being lucky on a hot streak?

Not that it needs to be said again but... the quality of defensemen in the WHL is INSANE. It's always been recognized but it looks like an all-time high as far as dominance, IMO.

It's a case of Sheldon Sourayism, great shot, ungodly size and...precious little else.

Old
12-16-2004, 01:25 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
It's a case of Sheldon Sourayism, great shot, ungodly size and...precious little else.
If your location is correct (Verdun), then I must ask how many times you have seen Dustin Byfuglien play.

Old
12-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Are you talking about Byfuglien or Stoner?

In either case, although I am not a big Souray fan, any player that could play at that same level would be a steal considering where those two players were drafted, so I would say that is a very good thing.

Old
12-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
If your location is correct (Verdun), then I must ask how many times you have seen Dustin Byfuglien play.
"probably about 4-6 times a year"....?

Old
12-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Oh I've got my people.

Closed Thread