HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter Wants Lifetime Contract: What does it look like?

Old
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Suter Wants Lifetime Contract: What does it look like?

Quote:
Wherever I sign, I want to be there for the rest of my career.
- Ryan Suter
http://www.freep.com/article/2012051...ngs-ryan-suter

Sounds good to me. Plenty of flexibility. Here's a proposal:

13 years, $82M = $6.31M/yr

Breakdown:
Age 27 - 32 = 10,10,8,8,8
Age 33 - 37 = 7,7,6,6,6
Age 38 - 40 = 4,1,1

For Reference:
Richards contract, Ages 38-40: 1,1,1
Franzen contract, Ages 38-40: 2,1,1
Hossa contract, Ages 38-40: 4,1,1
Kovalchuk contract, Ages 38-40: 1,1,1
Keith contract, Ages 38-39: 2.1, 1.5
Zetterberg contract, Ages 38-40: 3.35, 1,1

Thoughts?

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
I like it quite a bit, maybe buff the offer up a bit to around 85M or 87M if we want to sweeten it. But Suter gets paid, we get a lowish cap hit for a top 5 dman, everybody wins. The question now is who faxes this off to Suter's agent on behalf of the wings fanbase?

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I bet he wants a big fat sign-on bonus as well with the CBA due to expire... 10-15M...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I think he and his agent are looking for 13 years and 100 million, it hits that magic number. I also don't know if Minnesota can really go that high. We know Mr I. has given out a couple of those on the baseball side and probably wouldn't blink if it took two of those to get Parise and Suter here. They will be cheaper than Fielder and Cabrera by a long shot.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I think he and his agent are looking for 13 years and 100 million, it hits that magic number. I also don't know if Minnesota can really go that high. We know Mr I. has given out a couple of those on the baseball side and probably wouldn't blink if it took two of those to get Parise and Suter here. They will be cheaper than Fielder and Cabrera by a long shot.
I really can't see anyone signing him to a lifetime contract unless he takes it with a cap hit < 7M. The highest I think the Wings would want to go would be 13 years 91M, works out to be a 7M cap hit that is very manageable.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I really can't see anyone signing him to a lifetime contract unless he takes it with a cap hit < 7M. The highest I think the Wings would want to go would be 13 years 91M, works out to be a 7M cap hit that is very manageable.

I am fine with that too, but remember how Kovy wanted the 100 million tagline. I just think for the extra .7 (The 13 years and 100 million works out to 7.7 cap hit, hey still less than Rick Nash with no assets going the other way) per on both guys to hurt the competition it is worth that. At the very least Minnesota for instance could probably only stomach handing out one of these kind of deals. I think they have a hard time turning that down from an Original Six team. It also re-establishes the good old Wings way of operating. With the cap still heading up, I don't think that is a bad thing to float out there.

If we are questioning Holland and the Wings aggressiveness lately, well throwing out those two deals would end that debate. I am comfortable doing it for either player, the real issue in my opinion becomes the Wings have 5 lifetime contracts at that point with an essentially sixth considering we will sign Datsyuk for whatever he wants in a couple of years.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 05-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 01:37 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Realistically the Wings should outbid every other stanley cup contender that bids for him. Nicklas Lidstrom isnt walking through that door for another 20 years.

If some bottom feeding team offers more....well it would suck, but that will prove Suter just doesnt care about winning.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Shoalzie

It's not my money but I wouldn't get involved with another decade-long deal. I was hoping for 6 or 7 years.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Realistically the Wings should outbid every other stanley cup contender that bids for him. Nicklas Lidstrom isnt walking through that door for another 20 years.

If some bottom feeding team offers more....well it would suck, but that will prove Suter just doesnt care about winning.
Agreed, but whatever team gets him, I can't see them being much of a bottom feeder for very long unless it's Columbus, NYI, or Edmonton.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Agreed, but whatever team gets him, I can't see them being much of a bottom feeder for very long unless it's Columbus, NYI, or Edmonton.
Edmonton is about to be really good, by any stretch ESPN just had an article talking about teams with three straight years in the lottery (top three picks, it really focused on top two), the only one that was bad after was Atlanta and they still drafted pretty good players actually.

The others examples are Pittsburgh, Ottawa, San Jose and Chicago that have gone through this similar period of losses or expansion. All of them got huge playoff returns over the next 8 year period usually starting in the four year window after the first of the picks which Edmonton enters soon. I would link it but it was insider material. In any event all that talent is going to do something good and soon.

The problem Columbus and the NYI have is while bad they actual manage to not hit rock bottom and stay in the top three picks for a bunch of consecutive years

Old
05-11-2012, 03:34 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
It's not my money but I wouldn't get involved with another decade-long deal. I was hoping for 6 or 7 years.
We are just going by what Suter said himself. If he wants to be in the next place for the rest of his career then it means he is probably hoping for at least a ten year contract.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Me too, but if it takes a decade-long deal, so be it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:24 PM
lightthelamp13

i like the contract, right idea. but that example is cap circumvention. can only drop salary by 50% in one year. so can't go from 4 million to 1. Would have to go 4, 2, 1.

lightthelamp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
13 million signing bonus. Then 8 million per year for 10 years and 4-2-1 for the last three years.

It's the 100 million contract with 7.69 caphit that nobody can't outbid IMHO.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I volunteer to pick him up from the airport. Free of charge.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Shoalzie

I'm not saying he wouldn't be worth it but do you sign him to that deal because he's just the best available? Let's say there were 2 or 3 other guys out there with around the same skill level...do you take him or go for a guy who wants more reasonable contract?

Out of the crazy deals they've signed...the Datsyuk deal (only 7 years) has worked out and Zetterberg is still a key part of these team but they've got him for another 9 years. The Franzen deal doesn't seem so bad since his cap hit is low but they're on the hook for another 8 years and he's the most frustrating player on this team.

Suter's career arc seems to be on a slight incline...he posted a career high in points by one this year...his previous high was 3 years ago. Durability-wise, he's been alright there...hasn't played fewer than 70 games in an NHL season. You look at Kronwall...his points have dropped off but he's been double-digits in goals the last two years.

He's getting $4.75 million a year for the next 7 at age 31. $6-6.5 million a year for Suter would be around what I'd aim for. If it takes a couple extra years to make that happen, I can live with it.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
ZetterBurger

If he wants a lifetime contract, then the Wings could offer him something around 9-10 years. I don't see a Kovalchuk situation arising if it's an iffy contract. League owes us one or two.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

The one thing I don't like is that if by some miracle we get both of Suter and Parise, are they going to both want lifetime deals? Not so sure I like the idea of so many lifetime deals on one team.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
The one thing I don't like is that if by some miracle we get both of Suter and Parise, are they going to both want lifetime deals? Not so sure I like the idea of so many lifetime deals on one team.
I thought about that as well, but other than Frazen which player do you think you would end up with you saying he needs to be gone? Yes, having a +$6 million dollar cap hit would be rough for the last 2 years of their contracts, but I wouldn't mind at all if we got another Cup in that span.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I thought about that as well, but other than Frazen which player do you think you would end up with you saying he needs to be gone? Yes, having a +$6 million dollar cap hit would be rough for the last 2 years of their contracts, but I wouldn't mind at all if we got another Cup in that span.
Agreed. Z will probably retire around 37 or 38 if he has any back issues and I don't see Franzen staying until 40 anyway.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Agreed. Z will probably retire around 37 or 38 if he has any back issues and I don't see Franzen staying until 40 anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if Franzen is in Sweden after his 35th birthday. What I am worried about is the possibility of Datsyuk going to Russia after his contract.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:26 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Franzen is in Sweden after his 35th birthday. What I am worried about is the possibility of Datsyuk going to Russia after his contract.
Yeah, I hope Holland has a contingency plan for that.

Of course, if we get back to being 1st or 2nd in the league (e.g. make some bold moves in free agency this year) I think that's less likely to happen.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Xvash2

Lifetime contract, that way when he hits 30-32 he can take it easy and play at half speed for the rest of his career.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:50 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Check out the "Dear Ryan Suter" thread on the Preds board. Sounds like they think he's gone, and think he's headed this way, judging by the Detroit-bashing going on.

Old
05-12-2012, 03:22 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

FWIW, not many Preds fans have such a negative, and baseless, opinion of Detroit

That nonsense shouldn't pop back up anyway

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote