HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter Wants Lifetime Contract: What does it look like?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2012, 03:37 PM
  #26
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,812
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
FWIW, not many Preds fans have such a negative, and baseless, opinion of Detroit

That nonsense shouldn't pop back up anyway
TMI, was there any word on Suter playing Round 2 injured? He seemed to just disappear after a while in that series.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:06 AM
  #27
LeighDx13
Registered User
 
LeighDx13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hockeytown USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Regardless of the pricetag, I would rather sign him for a 7-9 (at the most) year deal. It's a long contract but it not too long. I'm not a big fan of lifetime contracts. But honestly, if thats what it will take to get him here then fine lol

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:33 AM
  #28
CorbeauNoir
Registered User
 
CorbeauNoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Watch this entire board call for his head the second he ever looks even remotely off his game. You'll be clawing over one another screaming about his overpriced contract from the rooftops then, mark my words.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
  #29
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,812
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Watch this entire board call for his head the second he ever looks even remotely off his game. You'll be clawing over one another screaming about his overpriced contract from the rooftops then, mark my words.
Of course the board will. Just like the board was calling for buying out Franzen earlier this season.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:05 PM
  #30
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
TMI, was there any word on Suter playing Round 2 injured? He seemed to just disappear after a while in that series.
Sorry. Had a busy day yesterday so I just now saw this...

To my knowledge nothing has been released about players being injured during the playoffs. It'll come out eventually, I'm sure, but nothing yet. I don't think he was injured. He had a less-than-inspirational season, to be honest.

Also, can we leave the attacks of a fan base/city/state/whatever to a minimum? I realize that a few Nashville fans stirred the pot originally, but that is being handled. No reason to carry it on in here. It'll only be handled the same way, and when us Mods are given more work for no reason we tend to become disgruntled

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:58 PM
  #31
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,812
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
To my knowledge nothing has been released about players being injured during the playoffs. It'll come out eventually, I'm sure, but nothing yet. I don't think he was injured. He had a less-than-inspirational season, to be honest.
Interesting. It almost makes me wonder if he mentally was checked out of Nashville, to be honest, knowing that he was going to be the top UFA d-man on the market. That seems to be one camp that impending UFAs can take; the other is to go have career years like Jiri Hudler.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:38 PM
  #32
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,572
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Sorry. Had a busy day yesterday so I just now saw this...

To my knowledge nothing has been released about players being injured during the playoffs. It'll come out eventually, I'm sure, but nothing yet. I don't think he was injured. He had a less-than-inspirational season, to be honest.

Also, can we leave the attacks of a fan base/city/state/whatever to a minimum? I realize that a few Nashville fans stirred the pot originally, but that is being handled. No reason to carry it on in here. It'll only be handled the same way, and when us Mods are given more work for no reason we tend to become disgruntled
Less than inspirational season? He set career highs and was pretty good when Weber got dinged up for a little bit this season. It seems to me the Preds fan-base turned on him this season with each passing day realizing he was likely to fly the coup. I mean why would you guys blame Rinne or Weber yet? The whole team stunk in the second round, but it was pretty easy to see who would wear the goat horns. The same thing will happen with your beloved captain if they flame out of the playoffs next year and they have held onto him and it appears he is walking.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
  #33
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,572
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Interesting. It almost makes me wonder if he mentally was checked out of Nashville, to be honest, knowing that he was going to be the top UFA d-man on the market. That seems to be one camp that impending UFAs can take; the other is to go have career years like Jiri Hudler.
Inaccurate, Suter did in fact set career highs this year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
  #34
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I bet he wants a big fat sign-on bonus as well with the CBA due to expire... 10-15M...
No such thing as "Signing Bonuses" in the NHL.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:46 PM
  #35
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
No such thing as "Signing Bonuses" in the NHL.
You sure about that? Sekera's deal comes with a $3-million signing bonus this season and another $1.75-million signing bonus on July 1, 2012, which gives him the type of "lockout insurance" many players are building into their deals these days and front loads a front-loaded deal even more than normal with the lump sum payments.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2103658/

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
  #36
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Jeez, if I was a player, I'd structure my contract so I made like $500,000 in the lockout year and $7M the other years -- just to be safe.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:50 AM
  #37
wingnutjeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
I don't think that lifetime contracts for Parise and Suter would be the kiss of death for the team. Our current long-term contracts will be in the waste years as far as caphit goes when these guys are providing very good value. If they were as old as Franzen & Zetts then it would be an issue, but having the ages staggerred makes it a little easier to take so long as they don't get lazy with the security.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:54 AM
  #38
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,812
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
If they were as old as Franzen & Zetts then it would be an issue, but having the ages staggerred makes it a little easier to take so long as they don't get lazy with the security.
Laziness, I think, is the fear of most people.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  #39
KingzOverAcez
Registered User
 
KingzOverAcez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
If he wants a lifetime contract, then the Wings could offer him something around 9-10 years. I don't see a Kovalchuk situation arising if it's an iffy contract. League owes us one or two.
The upcoming CBA is going to get rid of the loopholes that were taken advantage of with the Kovalchuk and Hossa deals. I wouldn't expect them to allow a deal like those 2 guys got.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
  #40
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,812
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
The upcoming CBA is going to get rid of the loopholes that were taken advantage of with the Kovalchuk and Hossa deals. I wouldn't expect them to allow a deal like those 2 guys got.
New CBA won't be signed until after Suter and Parise reach deals, however.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
  #41
KingzOverAcez
Registered User
 
KingzOverAcez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
New CBA won't be signed until after Suter and Parise reach deals, however.
Which is stupid imo. Teams aren't going to know what salary cap that they are going to have to operate with until after the free agency market opens up. Rumor has it that the new cap might be as high as $69M and could possibly be rolled back with the new CBA. A cap increase that high doesn't do DET any favors imo.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  #42
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
No such thing as "Signing Bonuses" in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You sure about that? Sekera's deal comes with a $3-million signing bonus this season and another $1.75-million signing bonus on July 1, 2012, which gives him the type of "lockout insurance" many players are building into their deals these days and front loads a front-loaded deal even more than normal with the lump sum payments.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2103658/

Yup there are. They're counted as salary in the season they're paid and fully included in the cap hit. So there's no cap hit benefit. There is a benefit to the player of receiving more money up front rather than spread across the season. And most especially there's a benefit to the player if the full season isn't played due to lockout.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
  #43
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
The upcoming CBA is going to get rid of the loopholes that were taken advantage of with the Kovalchuk and Hossa deals. I wouldn't expect them to allow a deal like those 2 guys got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
New CBA won't be signed until after Suter and Parise reach deals, however.
Depending on what the new rules turn out to be they may or may not grandfather in older contracts. They wouldn't for example cut years off a contract, but could conceivably change the contract cap calculation formula both going forward and retroactively to existing contracts.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
  #44
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Ajman
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
Which is stupid imo. Teams aren't going to know what salary cap that they are going to have to operate with until after the free agency market opens up. Rumor has it that the new cap might be as high as $69M and could possibly be rolled back with the new CBA. A cap increase that high doesn't do DET any favors imo.
If the NHL is amateur enough to up the cap to 70 million and then drastically drop it that quickly, enough to screw anyone trying to spend and not sit on the floor, then this league has no idea how to run itself. They haven't for awhile but this would confirm it.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:01 PM
  #45
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,174
vCash: 500
8 years, 56 million total, more money up front, possibly as much as 10-12 million to ensure money before next CBA

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:19 PM
  #46
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Less than inspirational season? He set career highs and was pretty good when Weber got dinged up for a little bit this season. It seems to me the Preds fan-base turned on him this season with each passing day realizing he was likely to fly the coup. I mean why would you guys blame Rinne or Weber yet? The whole team stunk in the second round, but it was pretty easy to see who would wear the goat horns. The same thing will happen with your beloved captain if they flame out of the playoffs next year and they have held onto him and it appears he is walking.
People who have watched Ryan Suter for years can tell you he played less than inspired hockey this year. That is a true statement. Numbers do not tell all. Eye test. He was not the same player he has been in the past. His numbers are inflated because other Preds players over did the norm this year.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:11 AM
  #47
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
People who have watched Ryan Suter for years can tell you he played less than inspired hockey this year. That is a true statement. Numbers do not tell all. Eye test. He was not the same player he has been in the past. His numbers are inflated because other Preds players over did the norm this year.
That's unusual for a contract year, any particular reason for his unmotivated play?

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
  #48
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,812
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
If the NHL is amateur enough to up the cap to 70 million and then drastically drop it that quickly, enough to screw anyone trying to spend and not sit on the floor, then this league has no idea how to run itself. They haven't for awhile but this would confirm it.
But it's just the type of thing they'd do in the name of "parity."

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
  #49
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,572
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
People who have watched Ryan Suter for years can tell you he played less than inspired hockey this year. That is a true statement. Numbers do not tell all. Eye test. He was not the same player he has been in the past. His numbers are inflated because other Preds players over did the norm this year.
Once again this doesn't seem to be a popular opinion among scouts, league execs and even the Preds front office and coaches. It seems that at some point this year around the all-star break certain parts of the Preds fan-base began to prepare for the inevitable and all of a sudden Suter has become a target with them. You say it is because his play is uninspired, I was impressed when I caught him playing a bunch this season, he continues to get better. Maybe a little less physical but even better positioning. Just think he gets to wear the goat horns and the fact it looks like he is gone has brought out a lot of these comments. Will be fascinating to see if this is the prevailing notion if he does in fact re-up with Nashville.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
  #50
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Ajman
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
But it's just the type of thing they'd do in the name of "parity."
I hear ya. Parity=parody. You're not allowed to be a good team anymore. Everyone deserves a turn! We're all special! Gold stars for everyone, even the kids eating paste!

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.