Old
05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
St.Michael's sold to Businessman Elliot Kerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtle
Eugene Melnyk announces sale of the OHL's Mississauga St. Michael's Majors to businessman Elliott Kerr.
Thoughts? Were they in financial difficulties?

Announcement on official site

Quote:
The "St. Michael's Majors" name is the property of St. Michael's College School. As one of the conditions of the sale, the name and its associated logos will be returned to the school. As such, St. Michael's College School will be branding its highly anticipated hockey program as the St. Michael's Majors Division 1 team which begins this September. Melnyk, who is a proud alumnus of St. Michael's College School and one of its largest donors, will be donating all Majors branded hockey equipment and jerseys to the Division 1 team.

The Mississauga OHL team will be re-branded with a new name and logo.
Interesting.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

vCash: 500
The St. Michaels name and logo will go back to the school.....what team they will be dawned upon is unclear...the woprd is their division 1 team....not sure what they mean by that but I would guess the Jr A team? I doubt they will seak an NCAA affiliation.

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
GoAttackGo

Yeah I also was wondering they meant by division 1

GoAttackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
The St. Michaels name and logo will go back to the school.....what team they will be dawned upon is unclear...the woprd is their division 1 team....not sure what they mean by that but I would guess the Jr A team? I doubt they will seak an NCAA affiliation.
could be Division 1 for CIS

big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
GoAttackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
could be Division 1 for CIS
CIS doesn't have division like division 1 or Division 2 like the NCAA, neither does the OUA which is a division of the regional division of the CIS but it doesnt have Division 1 and 2

GoAttackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:08 PM
blackmarketmob

Also curious, are the Buzzer's getting somewhat rebranded? As for the NCAA/CIS leagues, St. Mike's is a high school, so I cannot see how that would work.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAttackGo View Post
CIS doesn't have division like division 1 or Division 2 like the NCAA, neither does the OUA which is a division of the regional division of the CIS but it doesnt have Division 1 and 2
Did not know that dont really follow CIS

Old
05-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Wiley Old Vet

It probably means it will try to compete with the US prep schools. They have the div 1 and div 2 designations. Also the ages would match.

Wiley Old Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
TieClark

I still don't understand why they moved the Ice Dogs to Niagara and the St. Mikes to Mississauga in the first place... why not just move the St. Mikes to Niagara?

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Torts

The OJHL team that used to be the buzzers will now be St Mike's Majors.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I still don't understand why they moved the Ice Dogs to Niagara and the St. Mikes to Mississauga in the first place... why not just move the St. Mikes to Niagara?
Because Eugene Melnyk has more money than God, and he wanted it done that way. The Majors were his team. He bought the IceDogs just to take over their lease at the Hershey Centre, and then re-sell them to someone else.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
Because Eugene Melnyk has more money than God, and he wanted it done that way. The Majors were his team. He bought the IceDogs just to take over their lease at the Hershey Centre, and then re-sell them to someone else.
And now he sold them only a few years later... so he essentially did it because he could

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:52 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
The Division I is referring to the high school hockey team Conference of Independent Schools Athletics Association http://www.cisaa.ca/cisaa/ShowPage.dcisaa?CISAA_Results

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:02 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Because the aim was to keep the Majors in their traditional Toronto market and get an arena large enough to make a profit and attract players, many of whom were refusing to go play for St. Mikes because of the school's shoddy arena, which wasn't even regulation size. The only reason Melnyk bought them is because of his ties to the school and their dire financial situation at the time. Moving to St. Catharines would have meant that they're too far away for existing fans, and quite frankly, the arena would have been nearly as bad as the one they were leaving. I think that in the end he became disinterested in the franchise because no matter how much they threw at advertising, getting the Memorial Cup, having a very competitive team, etc, the Mississauga public simply never warmed to the Majors and junior hockey in general. It's a good time to get out.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Somewhat excited about this as someone in MIssissauga. I know the Majors tried to promote themselves but I honestly don't feel they did much.

What this doesn't change is the horrible location of the arena in a remote part of the city with a bunch of warehouses and no restaurants or anything and one bus route (which doesn't even run at times) around it. Changing the arena location won't happen obviously.

But hopefully having a Mississauga owner for the team will do them some good and he'll be able to promote them better with his local connections. Also, what kind of a name for a sports team is Mississauga St. Michael's Majors? Changing the name itself will do some good hopefully (though I hope they keep the colour scheme and something like these jerseys):

Oh and the team needs to do a better job of promoting themselves, they did the same amount of promo that a normal OHL team does (less actually, I've lived around other OHL teams and have seen more). In a city like Mississauga which isn't a hockey market, they need to put in three times the effort to get people and mainly school kids excited. It's not like there's a shortage of volunteers to help out, tonnes of high schools and a uni + college in Mississauga with lots of smart kids who would help out with promo events.

Last edited by Kloparren: 05-14-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:09 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Somewhat excited about this as someone in MIssissauga. I know the Majors tried to promote themselves but I honestly don't feel they did much.

What this doesn't change is the horrible location of the arena in a remote part of the city with a bunch of warehouses and no restaurants or anything and one bus route (which doesn't even run at times) around it. Changing the arena location won't happen obviously.

But hopefully having a Mississauga owner for the team will do them some good and he'll be able to promote them better with his local connections. Also, what kind of a name for a sports team is Mississauga St. Michael's Majors? Changing the name itself will do some good hopefully (though I hope they keep the colour scheme and something like these jerseys):

Oh and the team needs to do a better job of promoting themselves, they did the same amount of promo that a normal OHL team does (less actually, I've lived around other OHL teams and have seen more). In a city like Mississauga which isn't a hockey market, they need to put in three times the effort to get people and mainly school kids excited. It's not like there's a shortage of volunteers to help out, tonnes of high schools and a uni + college in Mississauga with lots of smart kids who would help out with promo events.
I think the schools/kids/little league hockey base is the only section of their potential fan base they've had any success with. I didn't get to any games this year, but I was essentially a STH for a few years prior to that, and they had no problem getting bigger groups in for a single game a season. The problem was getting the parents to bring them back later on when there was no group event happening. The Majors players spend a lot of time going to schools and participating in other community events.

The thing with Mississauga is, until recently, when Kerr started it, there wasn't even a local radio station to advertise on (is the thing running yet?). The Mississauga News had decent coverage of all things Majors, but it isn't really read by anyone, so they have to resort to their old Toronto ad partners the Sun and the FAN590. That's not exactly catering directly to your target demographic. I saw signs along the road away from the arena advertising games, and I know at least one Sports store in Square One carried a bit of Majors merch.

As you mentioned, the arena location is horrible. It took me 2.5 hours to get there by bus from Toronto, and the schedule in the area changes daily depending on the time, meaning that I would essentially have to figure out a new way to get there every time I go depending on the start time of the game. Not at all fan friendly. Something near Square One would have made a lot more sense, but it's too late for that now.

I'm always excited to see a new team come together, but in this case it's bittersweet, since over the years I had made a few friends/acquaintances who worked with the team all the way back to their Toronto days, all of whom lost their jobs the other day. Hopefully Kerr hires some of them back on after the interview process is done.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
big papa

I think it will do good to have a Local guy own the team who doesnt want to loose money or doesnt mind loosing money

Old
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

Most of the Gta is not a true hockey market i hope this team does ok attendance wise but i doubt it.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Garyboy

Any truth to the rumor that they'll be called the Wilderness Lions next year?

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I hope not.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Lions wouldnt be "that" awful, but there could be better

my best crack at a name was Mississauga Titans with a black white and gold thing going on.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:07 AM
NHL Fanatic

The three proposed names are the most awful names I've ever heard lool. Mississauga Lakers, Mississauga Steelheads, and Mississauga Helmsmen. Currently they're having a contest which you pick one of the three names above or choose your own name and email it to hockey@landmarksport by May 20th @ 5pm.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
The three proposed names are the most awful names I've ever heard lool. Mississauga Lakers, Mississauga Steelheads, and Mississauga Helmsmen. Currently they're having a contest which you pick one of the three names above or choose your own name and email it to hockey@landmarksport by May 20th @ 5pm.
How about the "Mississauga McCallions" , they would already have a mascot...before anyone gets too upset, just an attempt at a little humour. This being said it would be a great way to recognize the oldest and likely longest servicing mayor in Canadian history.

Arsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Mississauga Lakers, Mississauga Steelheads, and Mississauga Helmsmen.
It shouldn't be a name like Lakers or Hurricanes, too common. Lakers is even used by a team in Sweden. And Hurricanes have nothing to do with Mississauga.

I've been thinking about it for a few days but I don't know. I think Mississauga Bricks would be a good name because of the Cooksville Brickworks in Mississauga so it's part of the city's heritage but it's the sort of name that's too unconventional and would maybe get made fun of. I also like the name Mississauga Passage, it sounds nice but as a sports name :S

I hope it's not something lame and predictable though like the Mississauga Steelers or Mississauga Eagles.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
defensehockey19

I don't mind Helmsmen. Goodluck with a logo though.... I mean a decent one anyways... Sucks they have to get rid of the colour scheme..? Atleast I think they do? Really liked the lightblue.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote