The Mississauga Discount Smokes?

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
It shouldn't be a name like Lakers or Hurricanes, too common. Lakers is even used by a team in Sweden. And Hurricanes have nothing to do with Mississauga.

I've been thinking about it for a few days but I don't know. I think Mississauga Bricks would be a good name because of the Cooksville Brickworks in Mississauga so it's part of the city's heritage but it's the sort of name that's too unconventional and would maybe get made fun of. I also like the name Mississauga Passage, it sounds nice but as a sports name :S

I hope it's not something lame and predictable though like the Mississauga Steelers or Mississauga Eagles.
I've proposed Mississauga Warriors. Not sure if there would be an issue with Moose Jaw in the Dub!

I think it is a nice compromise as it harkens back to the city's rich tradition with the many first nation's that inhabited the area back in the day, but in this age of political correctness I think a clever logo could be had that doesn't offend anyone.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Most of the Gta is not a true hockey market i hope this team does ok attendance wise but i doubt it.
I always thought having some sort of association to the Leafs was important but with the lack of crowds for the Marlies run, that appears false.

Thus, perhaps the exact opposite is required. Maybe the need is to distance themselves from Toronto in general. Perhaps, the key will be to get folks in Mississauga to identify with the team as exclusively theirs and not Toronto's. To me, that's what makes it work in smaller markets in other sports such as the bond you see with say the Packers and Green Bay. I know it's not the NFL as opposed to junior hockey but tapping into civic pride will make it last. Of course, if there is no civic pride in Mississauga, the project will be doomed.

Of the three choices, the Helmsman seems the most marketable in terms of mascot and a logo. Lakers is just terrible. Not sure what you could do with that other than some sort of rudder wheel or nautical bird. You could do something with Steelhead in terms of a fish but you'd be doing something with a fish. Again, seems like a tough sell.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
It shouldn't be a name like Lakers or Hurricanes, too common. Lakers is even used by a team in Sweden. And Hurricanes have nothing to do with Mississauga.

I've been thinking about it for a few days but I don't know. I think Mississauga Bricks would be a good name because of the Cooksville Brickworks in Mississauga so it's part of the city's heritage but it's the sort of name that's too unconventional and would maybe get made fun of. I also like the name Mississauga Passage, it sounds nice but as a sports name :S

I hope it's not something lame and predictable though like the Mississauga Steelers or Mississauga Eagles.
Hurricane Hazel hit the City of Mississauga in 1954! See web-link below....

http://www.hurricanehazel.ca/index.html

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Torts

Here was my input on the team name and jersey

To whom it may concern,

Me and my father are curent season ticket holders to the Majo....umm the OHL Team in Mississauga. When I heard the team was changing names I was a little let down, however this opens the door for other oppurtunities and possibilities. My potential name and jersey change focuses on the deep and rich history of Mississauga. Below is a potential name and selected parts of the History section from Mississauga's Wikipedia page. By building off of rich tradition of the city it might allow the city to finally be able to back and support the team year in and year out.

Potential Team Name: Mississauga Indians/Chiefs/Tribe/etc...

Mississauga History - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga

" At the time of the arrival of the Europeans in the 1600s, both Iroquoian and Algonquian-speaking peoples already lived in the Credit River Valley area. One of the First Nations groups the French traders found around the Credit River area were the Algonquian Mississaugas, a tribe originally from the Georgian Bay area. By 1700 the Mississaugas had driven away the Iroquois."

"Toronto Township, consisting of most of present-day Mississauga, was formed on August 2, 1805 when officials from York (what is now Toronto) purchased 84,000 acres (340 km²) of land from the Mississaugas. In January 2010, the Mississaugas and the federal government settled a land claim, in which the band received $145,000,000, as more just compensation for their land and lost income."

"The original villages (and some later towns) settled included: Lakeview, Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale (called Springfield until 1890), Lorne Park, Port Credit, Sheridan, and Summerville. This region would become known as Toronto Township. Part of northeast Mississauga, including the Airport lands and Malton were part of Gore Township."

Pride in Our Past - http://www.heritagemississauga.com/page/History
Mississauga can trace its roots back to before European settlement – over 200 years ago. In the early 1600s, French traders encountered Native peoples around the North Shore of Lake Huron called the Mississaugas. The Mississaugas were an Ojibwa band, and by the early 1700s had migrated south and settled in the area around the Etobicoke Creek, Credit River and Burlington Bay. “Mississauga” translates as meaning “River of the North of Many Mouths”.

Potential Jersey Ideas/Colours: Building off of successful minor hockey and previous sport programs in the city, a jersey much like that of the Mississauga Reps (AAA team, see attached images) with a tan/beige colour could be used. London currently uses a tan like jersey as their away jersey. The home jersey could consist of strong and rich colours that natives would have used for marking and signalling (reds, yellow, blacks, greens). A combination of some Chicago Blackhawks traits could create a truely great and remarkable jersey scheme.

Potential Logo/Crest Ideas: An original idea would put the finishing touches on a clean and sleek jersey. Past Mississauga teams (Majors and Icedogs) have both used logos with the letter "M". This too could be used but les boxy like previous logos. The "M" could be in a cursive or more cerative font which would make it stand out on merchandise and other advertisements. A final idea would be to apply the coloured feathers to the top portion of the M much like the Blackhawks on their primary logo. As a potential shoulder or secondary crest we could use the crest from the flag of Mississauga which too builds off of our history and tradition. A third and final shoulder crest could resemble the Kansas City Chiefs logo of a tomahawk with team colorus and logos.

In all building off of the key pilars of tradition and history might just be able to put Mississauga hockey on the national and global map.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to the upcoming season,

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Shootmaster_44

I don't see them going with an Aboriginal themed name simply because the potential PR flack they might receive as a result. I'm fairly certain that the CHL wouldn't allow them to duplicate the name of the Spokane Chiefs anyhow.

As far as a nickname would go, I can't really say. When I think Mississauga, I think suburban Toronto and Square One. It doesn't seem to have an identity to me. So maybe go for something off the grid. Why not call them the Mississauga 905s? Keep the logo as something similar to the Majors and the colour scheme would be the same or at least similar.

Either that or find something that they could expand the theme to the entire experience. I like what Brampton has done with the whole military theme. I suppose the team in Mississauga (depsite not really having one) could go with a Naval theme. Mississauga Admirals or Captains would work with this and when they score instead of a horn they could go with the submarine siren and the uniforms could be Navy blue and maybe shoulders that look like Naval epaulettes. Could be an interested theme and the Hershey Centre could even be nicknamed The Sub or something like that. Another way to go, would be to call them the Destroyers and continue with the theme.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Elever
Hth

Okay here's my suggestions, they won't be used which sucks but the 3 they suggested aren't good either.

The only two with a historical connection that I have are:

Mississauga Bricks (because of the Cooksville Brickworks in Mississauga)
and
Mississauga Passage (difficult to explain this one without in short so I won't get into it but it does sound somewhat cool)

Other random ones:
Mississauga Maestros
Mississauga Matrix
Mississauga Marathons
Mississauga Opposition
Mississauga Radioactive
Mississauga Command
Mississauga Adrenaline
Mississauga Hunters
Mississauga Iron Ghosts
etc

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
OHLFan8771

Animals that can be found in southern ontario are Coyotes, Red Fox, North American Badgers, all better than the three names in consideration.

The city is also native to some Native American tribes, if the team could get permission from the tribe if still intact today that could be another option.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Elever
Hth

^ The tribes I don't believe are in tact, certainly not in Mississauga. They were pushed outwards as Toronto expanded. And the tribe's name from what I know was the Mississauga so it wouldn't make sense.

It's a modern city, it was founded in the late 1970's, should have a modern name.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:10 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
^ The tribes I don't believe are in tact, certainly not in Mississauga. They were pushed outwards as Toronto expanded. And the tribe's name from what I know was the Mississauga so it wouldn't make sense.

It's a modern city, it was founded in the late 1970's, should have a modern name.
I agree with you there I was just throwing out ideas. I believe it was the Iroquois Indian tribe that was native there but I was just thinking a name like arrowheads, braves, or spearheads I think would be a better name. Something generic but the three listed names are terrible.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Garyboy

The Mississauga Fire Water.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:53 PM
battfan888

They aren't going to name them after some tribe or anything aboriginal, as said they would get to much crap for that from over sensitive people who it probably wouldn't even effect anyway (see Washington Redskins).

For a team like Missy who doesn't have much of a fan base they don't need bad PR.

To whoever said that Hurricanes have no meaning to Missy, you obviously dont know much about the city, but they wont get named that anyway since another CHL team has that name.

Also whoever suggested Brick, sorry that is lame.... but so is all of the names that appear could be used in the 3 that have leaked.

Though I have a feeling that the 3 leaked names were intentionally leaked and they will go with something outta left field.

Or maybe we will see a lot of games between the Battalion and Steelheads next year who knows.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Garyboy

The Mississauga Nudie Bars - They do have a lot, and one of their chief sponsors is Aren't We Naughty...

Old
05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
TieClark

To earlier posts... since when is Mississauga not a hockey market? The MHL (Mississauga Hockey League) for minor hockey is absolutely huge and every organization in the MHL gets deals to go to Mississauga OHL games which work great. The problem is people would rather go to a Jays game or a Leaf game or a Raptors game than go watch a bunch of teenagers play... they need to correct this by offering cheaper tickets and advertise more about how exciting the hockey itself is.

Otherwise why wouldn't someone go see a professional league game or even a Marlies game with them doing so well for right around the same price?

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
To earlier posts... since when is Mississauga not a hockey market? The MHL (Mississauga Hockey League) for minor hockey is absolutely huge and every organization in the MHL gets deals to go to Mississauga OHL games which work great. The problem is people would rather go to a Jays game or a Leaf game or a Raptors game than go watch a bunch of teenagers play... they need to correct this by offering cheaper tickets and advertise more about how exciting the hockey itself is.

Otherwise why wouldn't someone go see a professional league game or even a Marlies game with them doing so well for right around the same price?

If Mississauga is such a good hockey market, then how come if it ain't the Leafs, it isn't attended?

Also, if you're choosing to go to the Raptors or Jays games over OHL hockey, winning OHL hockey like last year, then maybe it isn't all that good a hockey market after all.

Perhaps its a pro sports market.

There have been ticket giveaways in Missy and Brampton over the years and it isn't making any difference.

Mississauga is a Leaf market, and to your post, a minor hockey market.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then what is it?

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
EvenSteven

As far as the names for the team goes, I don't like any of the final three names.

"Lakers" is most popular as the name of a basketball team.
"Steelheads" will be compared to the Canadian made TV show where the pro team was called the Steelheads.
"Helmsmen" doesn't have an "s" on the end and that's a major issue for me.

Some alliteration would have been nice.

Too bad they aren't allowed to just call them the Majors. They could have still disassociate themselves from the school (sort of like when the Leafs AHL team called themselves the "Marlies" instead of the traditional "Marlboros"). They could have come up with new colors, logo etc.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:07 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
If Mississauga is such a good hockey market, then how come if it ain't the Leafs, it isn't attended?

Also, if you're choosing to go to the Raptors or Jays games over OHL hockey, winning OHL hockey like last year, then maybe it isn't all that good a hockey market after all.

Perhaps its a pro sports market.

There have been ticket giveaways in Missy and Brampton over the years and it isn't making any difference.

Mississauga is a Leaf market, and to your post, a minor hockey market.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then what is it?
So by that logic only areas 1+ hour(s) away from major cities are hockey markets? People would obviously rather go see professionals play over kids. Mississauga in recent years has failed to advertise correctly... cheaper tickets and exciting hockey for the family is the way to go. Not to mention their attendance is pretty average amongst the O.

This is from 2 years ago but: http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2011/05/o...ndance-report/

And that is in the same region that has a major pro sports team in all sports other than the NFL (and even then..), a minor league pro team and several other O teams within driving distance.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:18 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
So by that logic only areas 1+ hour(s) away from major cities are hockey markets? People would obviously rather go see professionals play over kids. Mississauga in recent years has failed to advertise correctly... cheaper tickets and exciting hockey for the family is the way to go. Not to mention their attendance is pretty average amongst the O.

This is from 2 years ago but: http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2011/05/o...ndance-report/

And that is in the same region that has a major pro sports team in all sports other than the NFL (and even then..), a minor league pro team and several other O teams within driving distance.
I question the accuracy of those numbers, Erie avg. attendance was much higher than that.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:06 PM
battfan888

Those numbers are a load of BS.
If they averaged 3,000 than I won lotto max last night.

First of all those numbers are from last year which was Mississauga's run to the finals, I'll admit they had a few big crowds but the numbers were VERY inflated.

Not to mention alot of people had to buy Majors season tickets last year just to get a garunteed Memorial Cup package, so there was alot of sold seats to Majors games where alot of people were no shows.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:04 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
As far as the names for the team goes, I don't like any of the final three names.

"Lakers" is most popular as the name of a basketball team.
"Steelheads" will be compared to the Canadian made TV show where the pro team was called the Steelheads.
"Helmsmen" doesn't have an "s" on the end and that's a major issue for me.

Some alliteration would have been nice.

Too bad they aren't allowed to just call them the Majors. They could have still disassociate themselves from the school (sort of like when the Leafs AHL team called themselves the "Marlies" instead of the traditional "Marlboros"). They could have come up with new colors, logo etc.
Elliot Kerr could still name the team Mississauga Majors but he won't because new owners never want anything to do with past owners. They want change, new logo, new name.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
OHLTG

Quote:

I've been to NHL, AHL, and OHL games. NHL games for $20 will get you somewhere about 100 feet above the ice, using binoculars to see the players. No thanks. AHL games for that price could happen, but the product wasn't what I liked compared to the OHL. It wasn't bad, just wasn't my cup of tea.

Mississauga isn't a "hockey market", it's in the Toronto-style of professional market. Sure, you've got a ton of minor hockey, but when you're so close to the Leafs, that's the focus.

Quote:
For junior hockey? It seems that way. If you look at the major markets for NHL around the OHL...Ottawa, Toronto, Detroit...only Ottawa is doing well and that's because, from all I've heard/read, getting to Sens games is a pain in the rear for 67s fans.

I'd imagine one part that isn't helping Mississauga is simply their relocation from downtown Toronto. When you have a loyal fan base and suddenly move 30km away, you're not going to have people go "oh, no big deal, we'll still go." They'll find other things to do with their time or follow another team. Add in those who are upset with what happened (double team switch) and you've lost a lot of fans.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Andre Poodle Lussier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Hurricane Hazel hit the City of Mississauga in 1954! See web-link below....

http://www.hurricanehazel.ca/index.html
Plus their mayor's nickname is "Hurricane" for her first name (Hazel).

Nothing like being 91 and still kickin' at as mayor.

Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Elever
Hth

Stealheads it is according to the Mississauga news. Well, I guess it's better than the two other names and the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors but still a missed oppurtunity for a cool name.

http://www.mississauga.com/sports/ar...the-steelheads

EDIT: I just realized, they could've been called the Mississauga Mystery. What a name that would've been, they could've used the coolest superhero of all time aka Sherlock Holmes as the logo.

Last edited by Elever: 05-24-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 08:10 AM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
The Mississauga Nudie Bars - They do have a lot, and one of their chief sponsors is Aren't We Naughty...
The Mississauga Peelers then would be my vote.

4 Bobby ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
The Mississauga Peelers then would be my vote.
Hey why not . .we've already got The London Rippers

Otto is offline   Reply With Quote