HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just Wondering...what side are Philly Fans on?

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2004, 08:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Just Wondering...what side are Philly Fans on?

Im guessing most Philly fans are on the Players side..but I dont know for sure. I know Ranger fans favor the players...what side are you guys on??(Majority)

BTW..im not asking for reasons why or why not unless you wanna give a little setence...the big arguments are in the buisness section.

Old
12-15-2004, 08:31 PM
goodrev

owners side... i see the league in a state where a salary cap is absolutely necessary, is it the owners fault yes, but they are taking the right course of action and demanding a salary cap

Old
12-15-2004, 08:34 PM
MojoJojo

Players. I believe in the free market, and it would be true no matter how much money my hockey team has.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
What side is there to take? A bunch of people arguing over where $2.1 billion dollars go. I take my own side, and so should everyone else.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
I take whichever side that will bring hockey back to this country.

Old
12-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Neither, I'm very resentful of both sides...

Get a deal done and get on with the season.

Old
12-15-2004, 10:41 PM
RoDu

I don't hate either the owners or the players, but Bettman I despise
I'm for the salary cap, but the owners are just being to thick headed right now

Old
12-15-2004, 10:43 PM
flyersrock1

The Fans. Only side that seems to be thinking straight.

Old
12-15-2004, 11:29 PM
CarlRacki

I lean owners, but believe both sides are the "bad" guys.

Old
12-16-2004, 01:35 AM
DeleteThisAccount

I'm on the AHL's side right now

Old
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
John Flyers Fan

I'm on the side that IMO has been most reasonable about getting a deal done so we can see the NHL again. IMO the players have been far more giving and flexible, so at the moment I'm on their side.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Teezax

The more this lockout goes on, the more arrogant Bettman appears. He really needs to be axed from his position. Both sides are stubborn and obviously lack negotian skills, this has become a PR battle more than anything. Soemone step in there and fix this mess because these buffoons have got nothing.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Jester

1) They are both morons.

2) The players "flexibility" was really an attempt to purchase a system that is as similar to the current one as possible. That wasn't a major concession, it was an offer delivered in the belief that they could get back to where they are now... no matter what they are saying. I would have been much more friendly to them if they'd offered 12% rollback with a luxury tax with actual teeth involved.

3) Bettman isn't really the problem... the fact that he only needs 8 owners or something to support his actions is the problem. There are a lot of owners out there who are losing cash and can't be competitive. Those are the people actually driving this boat and they aren't wrong. There is no way to stay consistently competitive in this league in many of the markets as the financial landscape is currently constructed.

4) A luxury tax with teeth would work to a large extent. The owners want a salary cap because it will make it so that they can ALL make money off of their franchises and thus their franchise value will explode -- it is a GREAT time to buy a franchise if you got a cash and have been paying attention to everything -- also, a tax attacks the owners pockets more than the players... part of the reason they'd rather have a cap as well.

5) The players acting as if their offer was this landmark thing is a joke, and insulting to anyone that has been paying attention. It was a major offer in terms of the 24% rollback and I thank them for at least making a statement, but the fact that they offered little major systematic influence to control spending is a disgrace. However, both of those proposals, as Cox noted in the Toronto Star, basically set down the negotiating landscape... hopefully they return to the table. No matter what the players believe, they can get a better deal now than they will 6 months to a year from now.

Old
12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I take whichever side that will bring hockey back to this country.
AMEN !

Disagree with both, Make a deal already !

Old
12-16-2004, 01:18 PM
MojoJojo

If small market teams cant be competitive, then how do you explain the tecent cup Finals? Money helps, but clearly you can do well under the present system building from the draft. You may not get to keep your talented player after their second contract, but you get a cheap influx of young talent every year. The player proposal severely limits rookie salaries BTW, which greatly benefitts small market clubs.

Old
12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
If small market teams cant be competitive, then how do you explain the tecent cup Finals? Money helps, but clearly you can do well under the present system building from the draft. You may not get to keep your talented player after their second contract, but you get a cheap influx of young talent every year. The player proposal severely limits rookie salaries BTW, which greatly benefitts small market clubs.
Calgary was a crap hole, they went up this year but have already been forced to start shedding some higher salaries... and they are close to not being able to keep Iginla.

The system shouldn't be setup so that the big clubs can vulture over the good drafting of the smaller teams. But disregarding that, competitive balance strengthens the entire league. That is the one fact of the NHLPA's stance on the salary cap -- which will absolutely cause competitive balance over time -- that doesn't make sense. If the NHL can get these teams in hole in the wall places competitive, that will breed some fans. If you can build some solid fan bases then you will start to generate more revenue... which will, in a % cap, lead to more funds for the players.

The NFL is a classic example of how good this system can work. Even if you complain about player movement, which will be less of an issue in the NHL since they are not talking about non-guaranteed contracts, you cannot complain about the mobility of teams in the standings. Unless your team is run by utter morons in the NFL, you have a shot at being competitive, even as a horrible team (san diego), in a very short time window. That keeps fans interested -- don't tell me the shedding of talent hasn't hurt Pittsburgh's once strong fan base -- and then the winning adds more to the group you already had interested.

It's about a partnership among everyone in a % cap. That is really what they are talking about with this cap in the end, a luxury tax is much less of a partnership.

Old
12-16-2004, 02:54 PM
flyercide

owners side

pittsburgh, ottawa, buffalo going bankrupt during yester-year makes this situation pretty clear cut to me. a lot of team's are losing money. no i can't prove it but i believe it. i want to keep this brief so... ill sum up my main reasoning... that id like to see small market team's remain in the league & be competitive. all teams should be on equal footing to be competitive not based on how much they can spend. i am tired of the greedy over-paid players not just in hockey but in all sports.

Old
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
owners side.

Old
12-16-2004, 06:11 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Calgary was a crap hole, they went up this year but have already been forced to start shedding some higher salaries... and they are close to not being able to keep Iginla

The system shouldn't be setup so that the big clubs can vulture over the good drafting of the smaller teams. But disregarding that, competitive balance strengthens the entire league. That is the one fact of the NHLPA's stance on the salary cap -- which will absolutely cause competitive balance over time -- that doesn't make sense. If the NHL can get these teams in hole in the wall places competitive, that will breed some fans. If you can build some solid fan bases then you will start to generate more revenue... which will, in a % cap, lead to more funds for the players..
Then what about Tampa? What about Ottawa? What about Vancouver? San Jose? The Devils (at least in the past)? To say that small market clubs cant be competitive is simply wrong, because many are. Money helps, but it doesnt buy you a cup or even a spot in the playoffs.

Quote:

The NFL is a classic example of how good this system can work. Even if you complain about player movement, which will be less of an issue in the NHL since they are not talking about non-guaranteed contracts, you cannot complain about the mobility of teams in the standings. Unless your team is run by utter morons in the NFL, you have a shot at being competitive, even as a horrible team (san diego), in a very short time window. That keeps fans interested -- don't tell me the shedding of talent hasn't hurt Pittsburgh's once strong fan base -- and then the winning adds more to the group you already had interested.
The NFL also gets around 50 million dollars PER TEAM in TV revenue. The NHL pays for itself rink by rink. Helping to redistribute funds through revenue sharing actually doesnt require the players consent anyway. The NHL could do that any time it choses, but the owners dont want to.

Quote:
It's about a partnership among everyone in a % cap. That is really what they are talking about with this cap in the end, a luxury tax is much less of a partnership.
A cap is also illegal without the explicit written consent of the players Union. Its called collusion, and would not last a day in court or in front of the NRLB. If the league wants a cap, they have to give something back to the players Union.

Old
12-16-2004, 06:12 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
The NFL also gets around 50 million dollars PER TEAM in TV revenue. The NHL pays for itself rink by rink. Helping to redistribute funds through revenue sharing actually doesnt require the players consent anyway. The NHL could do that any time it choses, but the owners dont want to.
NFL teams actually get more than $75 million per team.

Old
12-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Cuiff

owners..................................

Old
12-16-2004, 06:39 PM
04' hockey

Owners

Owners all the way.....two other major sports(NBA, NFL), EVEN WITH BIG TV $, have salary caps.
Why not the NHL???????????????????????????????????????
The owners have to have it to save themselves, reality check time for the NHLPA.

Old
12-16-2004, 07:10 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey
Owners all the way.....two other major sports(NBA, NFL), EVEN WITH BIG TV $, have salary caps.
Why not the NHL???????????????????????????????????????
The owners have to have it to save themselves, reality check time for the NHLPA.
The NBA does not have a legitimate salary cap. Only the NFL has a true salary cap.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:07 PM
MojoJojo

Question for the people who support the owners:

If a salary cap is put in place, what are the chances Bobby Clarke will lower ticket prices to reflect the thirty or fourty million dollars per season the organization will be saving? ,

Old
12-16-2004, 09:30 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Question for the people who support the owners:

If a salary cap is put in place, what are the chances Bobby Clarke will lower ticket prices to reflect the thirty or fourty million dollars per season the organization will be saving? ,
not a chance in hell...
Snider says they have lost money up until this past year when they went deep into the playoffs.

Closed Thread