HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Game 7: Caps @ Rangers. 7:30pm. MSG. 5.12.2012 (Grab Your Sack Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2012, 10:22 PM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videoc...177517&lang=en

The very first thing our Captain says is 100% false...

****ing pathetic.
I dunno man.....they did have a lot of momentum in the 2nd period...what's he suppose to say, "we have a great group of guys but when the coach is demanding a 1-2-2 in the 3rd period, there's nothing we can do"...he's sticking up for his team

Old
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Ovechtrick89

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I dunno man.....they did have a lot of momentum in the 2nd period...what's he suppose to say, "we have a great group of guys but when the coach is demanding a 1-2-2 in the 3rd period, there's nothing we can do"...he's sticking up for his team
I agree, he said exactly what a captain should say. Some people just want others to say controversial things and start ********.

Nobody will be more dissapointed than our main guy in that locker room, he knows he could've done more and you can tell but i wonder what the others who didn't turn up are thinking?

Old
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick89 View Post
Let's not ignore the fact the Rangers had so much FLUKE in this series, just about every goal they scored was lucky.

You need the bounces and in this game we didn't get it, we're a much better team and with a more distinguished coach who has this tough mindset but also actually enjoys scoring goals we'll do even better next year.
True, but you need to play the odds to get those bounces........
Aucoin in the last 5 min, ....not good odds
Sarge over Orlov, Aucoin over Perrault, Wideman on the 1st PP and so on and so n........safe *** hockey decisions

Old
05-12-2012, 10:27 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Really all the Ovi blame is stupid.

Dale Hunter did exactly what Boudreau was fired for, seeing problems, not fixing them.

This whole year has been Hunter seeing a good line combination letting it run, then some little mistake or bad shift, and that line is gone. Just ****ing gone because of one shift.

He let a terrible line of Ovechkin-Laich-Brouwer run a whole ****ing game, even though everyone here knows the ****ing solution for a game 7, get a goal early and that best line to try and set the tone or get the early goal is SOB and only SOB. Instead he puts out the 4th line.

SOB wasn't even a ****ing PP unit, that tells you what a useless piece of crap Dale Hunter is, he didn't even put SOB out there instead he puts MoJo out, if its not SOB then its gotta be Brouwer not MoJo.

Either way, Ovechkin and Backstrom need to be on a flight to Sweden and Carlson to Finland, none of them have any excuses besides being denied to their respective national teams to flake out on the WHC. It'd be a real indicator if they all go over and are dominating.

Last edited by SimplySensational: 05-12-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old
05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
True, but you need to play the odds to get those bounces........
Aucoin in the last 5 min, ....not good odds
Sarge over Orlov, Aucoin over Perrault, Wideman on the 1st PP and so on and so n........safe *** hockey decisions
Yeah i know but Hunter wanted to live and die by his ways and he did as he's a man of his word, maybe he comes out of this a better coach aswell realising his flaws offensively with such gifted players.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:30 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick89 View Post
Yeah i know but Hunter wanted to live and die by his ways and he did as he's a man of his word, maybe he comes out of this a better coach aswell realising his flaws offensively with such gifted players.
Maybe....if he stays I'd hope he comes out of this with a different mindset, if he doesn't then I hope he goes back to London

Old
05-12-2012, 10:30 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Yep. The same Flash who would've been our 2nd leading scorer this year...
Lets see if MJ replicates Flash's successes given the same time. I remember Flash was adding a lot of weight every year. Then got injured etc but... maybe George knew we couldnt afford him.

Moving Flash was the move that said to me, George was putting his stamp on the team. Only, it kicked off a free fall. It backfired big time. We had to turtle just to right the ship. BB was probably livid. Most fans dont talk about how much that trade changed us, because we complained about Flash.

If George was always fixated on strong defensive players and hockey, maybe Ovi was not his guy. He could have traded him for a kings ransom!

Old
05-12-2012, 10:31 PM
artilector

I think blaming particular forwards for Game 7 is stupid because.. which forwards actually played well? Backstrom? So what, we trade the other 11 guys?

All our highest paid/top 6 forwards have flaws:
Ovechkin: mostly clueless without the puck.. but still scores big goals with the wrister
Backstrom: ok you got me.. not a very fast guy.. but MVP, obviously
Semin: 50% of the series can't bring it offensively.. scores big goals in the other 50%
MJ: weak, bad decisions.. but speed, can stickhandle.. "promise"
Laich: most games you can't remember him on the ice.. but decent all-around player

Defense is easier, the only question mark there is Green.

But yeah, with those top forwards, Backstrom is untouchable, but you can make the argument to get rid of any one else.

My thoughts right now on the forwards:
@ If Caps are really going defense first, neither Ovechkin nor Semin are a good fit.
@ As long as Ovi is around, Caps are unlikely to go anywhere unless he becomes a complete player
@ Laich is vastly overpaid for what he brings. Example of a player that brings more for less -- Chimera.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:32 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videoc...177517&lang=en

The very first thing our Captain says is 100% false...

****ing pathetic.
Watch the rest of the video......Laich, Holtby,Knuble, Brouwer and Hendricks say the exact same thing......hey you know what...they sucked tonight but they were pretty resilient in the last 13 games

Old
05-12-2012, 10:34 PM
capsfan528

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Honestly, it's hard to blame Ovie. He's been handcuffed and doing his best to be a team guy.

completely agree

Old
05-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Watch the rest of the video......Laich, Holtby,Knuble, Brouwer and Hendricks say the exact same thing......hey you know what...they sucked tonight but they were pretty resilient in the last 13 games
I mean the first thing he said.

"The effort was there"

No. That is not true.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Ovechtrick89

We're still better than the Rangers, they just had Lundqvist and our negative tactics to help them.

They couldn't handle us when we applied pressure.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Well if there's a silver lining in all of this is hopefully this is the last time we ever see Dennis Wideman in a Capitals jersey.

Disappointed in Ovechkin's play in tonight's game. It almost seemed like he was disinterested at times tonight.

I hope Hunter returns. Don't care if folks find his approach to the game boring it was effective.

Holtby's the real deal. MAJO seems to be the second coming of Flash and I'd have no problem seeing him used as a trade chip.

If Hunter returns as coach it will be interesting to see the type of players he wants GMGM to go after in the off season along with what current players he believes do not fit his style of play and need to be moved.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
I mean the first thing he said.

"The effort was there"

No. That is not true.
I know man I agree, but they did have a good 2nd.....I mean Alzner is the only one who said they stunk but everyone else said the same thing Ovi did......I saw 3 different teams in each period
1st period : tentative
2nd period : pressing
3rd period: lost

I dunno of it was as much lack of effort as it was playing scared..... They barely hit the Rangers.

One thing that stuck with me from the pre-game was that Laich quote about keeping the game close or tied and then winning it at the end....... That right there is how they played and why they lost

Old
05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Do all of the posters that like Hunter's system and want him back realize that if the team is built to fit that system, it'll be the 80s and 90s Capitals all over again? The hard working bunch than can play defense and cycle, but doesn't have that something extra to get over the hump.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:50 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Lets see if MJ replicates Flash's successes given the same time. I remember Flash was adding a lot of weight every year. Then got injured etc but... maybe George knew we couldnt afford him.

Moving Flash was the move that said to me, George was putting his stamp on the team. Only, it kicked off a free fall. It backfired big time. We had to turtle just to right the ship. BB was probably livid. Most fans dont talk about how much that trade changed us, because we complained about Flash.

If George was always fixated on strong defensive players and hockey, maybe Ovi was not his guy. He could have traded him for a kings ransom!
Yeah at this point Caps are paying 9.5m for a Brett Hull that can hit people.

I really want it to work for the Caps with Ovi and Semin.. but I don't know.. Semin had Backstrom all series against the Rangers, and.. almost nothing offensively. Ovechkin can still score big goals, but he's too often a liability on the ice.

I don't even see how a 2C drastically improves things.. because one of Ovechkin/Semin still has to play with Backstrom, and it's not working.

So objectively.. either the Caps go back to a more offensive system.. or I'm starting to think neither Ovi or Semin are a fit. Selfishly, I'd want them to say because I'm not sure how much I'd be watching the Caps if they both leave.. but I can see strong arguments for re-making the team without them. (In that case still, I think the wise option is to sign Semin and trade him at the next deadline or offseason).

Old
05-12-2012, 10:53 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

semin, 4 points in 14 playoff games. **** that. get out of town.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
If they let Semin walk it might be worse than the Ward signing or Schultz playing/contract.

What will the lines be without him? Get a good ****ing coach and he'll be a PPG player. But keep DH and he's still good, but won't play like he can, just like 19, 8, 52, or 90. This type of play benefits Holtby, Hendricks, and Beagle. That's all. If Parise comes here he'll score 50 points. If Suter comes here he will look like a #2. If they trade for a 2C he will under achieve.

That's just the bottom line. No skilled player, or offensive player, played up to their potential this year. Not one. And it's not a coincidence. Coaching does alot. Yeah the Caps did ok this playoffs, but when you can't win by more than 1 goal, you aren't gonna go far.
21g, 54 pts, .68 ppg in the postseason. Utterly replaceable.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:00 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Yeah at this point Caps are paying 9.5m for a Brett Hull that can hit people.
A Hall of Fame player with multiple cups, long regarded as one of the greatest goal scorers to play the sport...improved?

Man, we've got it rough. Sell this guy.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Do all of the posters that like Hunter's system and want him back realize that if the team is built to fit that system, it'll be the 80s and 90s Capitals all over again? The hard working bunch than can play defense and cycle, but doesn't have that something extra to get over the hump.
I must have too many on ignore because I cant remember seeing anyOne say they like Hunters system.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:02 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well, you need stars, but one can make the argument that you need stars that are complete, consistent players. And that having a couple of sturdy 5m 25-30G wingers with decent hands is better than having a guy like Ovechkin.

No I don't want a turtling system, especially with Ovechkin and Smein around. But it's not clear to me that there's a coach out there that can build a successful aggressive system with 8 and 28, either (and hard to see the Caps brass going back "ok this defensive crap really is not us after all, we need BB back"). So I don't know, either roll the dice and try to roll 3 scoring lines again (unlikely), or.. ship out Ovi and Semin in favor of more consistent two-way players, and try to become one of those boring Western Conference team, building around Backstrom. :shrug:

Old
05-12-2012, 11:07 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
A Hall of Fame player with multiple cups, long regarded as one of the greatest goal scorers to play the sport...improved?

Man, we've got it rough. Sell this guy.
I think by far the most successful (as far as Cups) part of Hull's career was when he stopped being the top dog, and became more of a cheaper role vet sniper as the last piece on already complete teams. When he was "the star", he didn't win crap.. which is food for thought. And back in his days, there was no salary cap -- totally different ballgame.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ovechkin needs to get back to being the dominant offensive player first, or any gains in his two-way play won't really matter.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Well if there's a silver lining in all of this is hopefully this is the last time we ever see Dennis Wideman in a Capitals jersey.

Disappointed in Ovechkin's play in tonight's game. It almost seemed like he was disinterested at times tonight.

I hope Hunter returns. Don't care if folks find his approach to the game boring it was effective.

Holtby's the real deal. MAJO seems to be the second coming of Flash and I'd have no problem seeing him used as a trade chip.

If Hunter returns as coach it will be interesting to see the type of players he wants GMGM to go after in the off season along with what current players he believes do not fit his style of play and need to be moved.
So does Hunter coach a style despite his personnel, or does he coach a style that best fits his personnel? That's really the crux of the matter. The better coaches in any sport do the latter.

The other question to ask is whether Dale's style suggests confidence or lack of confidence in our big guns. What I mean is this. If Dale figures they are good enough to get one or two goals a game simply on raw skill, he may be willing to play the most conservative game in the history of the NHL. Or, he may lack confidence in them and say"why send more support, they won't score and we leave ourselves more defensively vulnerable."

These are important questions to understand the direction this team will take.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:14 PM
G3 LesPaul

I feel bad for Ovi. All he wants to do is win. You can see it in his face

Always next year.

Closed Thread