HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Game 7: Caps @ Rangers. 7:30pm. MSG. 5.12.2012 (Grab Your Sack Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 12:29 AM
um

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I mean the first thing he said.

"The effort was there"

No. That is not true.
we lost to the best team in the east, we barely made the playoffs, and we had a rookie in net. this team exceeded expectations and they put in a pretty good effort

Old
05-13-2012, 12:36 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
we lost to the best team in the east, we barely made the playoffs, and we had a rookie in net. this team exceeded expectations and they put in a pretty good effort
Yay for moral victories!!!

:vomit:

Old
05-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Fun fact: the Caps had a lower point percentage under Hunter this season than under Boudreau.
You do realize that's not saying a whole lot? Also the Caps were in a tailspin when Boudreau was fired, getting absolutely hammered by teams. That 7-0 start camouflaged our state at the time.

We needed an experienced coach, one who went through the learning process on another team. Hunter may very well turn out fine, but he badly underutilized the resources he had these playoffs.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

To be totally honest, I think you guys played a helluva series...with that said I think that trying to out-ranger the Rangers is the complete bass ackwards way of playing against us. prior to the start of this series i made 2 predictions.

I said, if the Capitals decide to try to open up their offense, to play a high octane style, they would destroy us (the Rangers) winning 5 games.

I also said if the Caps were crazy enough to continue their defensive effort against us, that would play into our hands. If you score 3 goals on the Rangers, we pretty much always lose. If the style you play makes it tough for your own team to score 3 goals, then we have a good shot at winning.

Pretty much the best way to beat the Rangers is to trade chances with them. You do that, you win. Caps didn't, and they lost.

*shrugs*

Old
05-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I hope Hunter returns. Don't care if folks find his approach to the game boring it was effective.

If Hunter returns as coach it will be interesting to see the type of players he wants GMGM to go after in the off season along with what current players he believes do not fit his style of play and need to be moved.
What'll really be interesting to see, is if his "effective" system can actually do better than .500 hockey.. Will they even make the playoffs? Flip a coin.. Win round 1?? Flip a coin.. Round 2?? Coin flip.. If it was LA or NY I'd say gamble away, but flippin coins for DC teams never seems to end well..

Old
05-13-2012, 01:57 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Just totally heartbroken tonite. I know it's only hockey, but i've been following these guys since their first damned season, when i was 6. And now my own kids get just as upset as i used to. Such a bummer.

Really starting to wonder whether these guys will ever win a Cup in my lifetime.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:14 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmike View Post
Ranger fan here. Caps gave us a tough fight. Didnt think we would win, but reading your board sand seeing you blame hunter is just ludicrous. you never would have made the playoffs without him
The defense last year was better, not in the playoffs.of course but the Caps were better last season by a long shot.

This playoff run was thanks to Ovi scoring down the stretch, I did t give a **** about losses, I just loved to see Ovi score and so did his teammates. If Ovi doesn't score early against the Flyers and Rags down the stretch, Caps probably don't make the playoffs.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:20 AM
EHCler

Well I would take Hunter back if he makes adjustments to his game plan. Defensively we are a more stable team offensivly we need to make adjustments

Old
05-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Maruk moustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
Just totally heartbroken tonite. I know it's only hockey, but i've been following these guys since their first damned season, when i was 6. And now my own kids get just as upset as i used to. Such a bummer.

Really starting to wonder whether these guys will ever win a Cup in my lifetime.
Yup. I've been following the Caps since as long as I can remember, but I can't remember my first game anymore. The first game I remember was in 1976.

38 years now. 2-8 now in Round 2s. 3 of those 8 losses came at the hands of the Rangers.

I think this year was the first year I actually started to wonder whether they will win a Cup in my lifetime.

But, hey, look at the bright side they did well enough to keep the GM and coach around for probably at least one more year! Clearly this is a recipe for success. I can't wait to see how many 2-1 games are in store for us next season.

I think that was Semin's last game for the Caps. I predict Semin goes to Detroit to play with Datsyuk.

7 seconds away from playing for the series in DC in game 6. It's going to hurt for a while.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:55 AM
DanTHEMan71

Why the Caps Lost: Hunter Killed the Offence

I wouldn't be happy seeing Hunter back. Statistically, we didn't significantly improve with Hunter. We played .500 hockey all year and went 7-7 in the playoffs. Literally winning and losing every other game. Nothing special there.

Some people want him to return because he made our team play well defensively but any decent coach could've helped us out in that department. Every good playoff team blocks shots and clogs the neutral zone, it's not a god damn achievement, so stop complimenting Hunter on that. The thing is teams play super-defensive when the situation calls for it, not ALL game.

Good teams have coaches who know how to win in different situations. We have a coach who throws out the same super-defensive gameplan, no matter the situation at hand, and hopes for the best. Wtf is that? Where are the adjustments? It's like a reverse BB.

Hunter demands a defensive style ALL game. It's fundamentally wrong. Just like offense and risks all game is wrong and BB showed us that.

Our failure lies within our offense and Hunter did nothing to help us there. The lack of offense was the clear and obvious reason we lost this series and it's been the problem since the season started. The funny thing is our lack of offence is what got the ball rolling for BB to be fired. BB started to falter at the only thing he was good at (offence) and he had nothing left to offer. After the Montreal series, we made things worse by dropping lots of firepower for a little more defence. We didn't need a coach like Hunter, our defence wasn't really the main problem. We just needed someone else to get us going offensively because BB wasn't the guy anymore and didn't offer anything defensively.

Our team is riddled with offensive talent (especially our D), yet Hunter consistently created an environment that stifled our offence. People can say Ovi and Semin both had subpar seasons but Hunter didn't give them, or any of our offensive guys, the opportunity to score or sustain pressure.

Hunter NEVER let us forecheck and always kept the D playing safe. You can't do that all game, it doesn't support the forwards and they can't do it all by themselves on cycles. Case in point is that most of our goals were scored off the rush anyways because our cycles did dick all without the D supporting and getting shots on net through screens.

I will say that Hunter got us going as a 5-man defensive unit (improved backcheck and more blocked shots) but he never got us going as a 5-man offensive unit. Just abysmal offensive zone pressure creating nothing off cycles. This is why we couldn't dominate any game offensively and consistently played tight games decided by coin-flips. We just never had that extra offensive support to push us over the hump.

Any good coach would've have seen the offensive firepower that exists in most of the players on our roster. We have Ovi, Semin, Backstrom, MoJo, Laich (30g scorer), Chimera, Green, Wideman, Carlson, Orlov, and quite a few depth guys who can also score. Surprisingly, after giving up so much forward depth over these last few years, we still have the roster to play a more riskier offensive style.

I can't believe we stuck to this idiotic gameplan with Holtby playing the way he did. If you have a good goalie keeping you in it every night, play more offensively! Take more chances! Instead we screen the **** out of him all the time and always make sure to have 2-3 players defending.

There's just so many bad things I can say about what Hunter and GMGM did this year. Mismatch of a coach and a team with no real direction. This roster was built for offence (no as much as before but we still can't say it enough). McPhee should've just hired a coach that plays to this team's strengths and then just see where the chips fell.

With Hunter, we really shouldn't have gotten this far in the first place. I will say that beating Boston was a great achievement. Sheer luck, yet an achievement nonetheless. But losing to the Rangers is greater in the bad way.

Top to bottom we have a better team than them (goaltending aside) and we could've beaten them in 5 if we played a more hybrid style. Too bad Hunter has no clue what that means.

Inferno validates this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
trying to out-ranger the Rangers is the complete bass ackwards way of playing against us. prior to the start of this series i made 2 predictions.

I said, if the Capitals decide to try to open up their offense, to play a high octane style, they would destroy us (the Rangers) winning 5 games.

I also said if the Caps were crazy enough to continue their defensive effort against us, that would play into our hands. If you score 3 goals on the Rangers, we pretty much always lose. If the style you play makes it tough for your own team to score 3 goals, then we have a good shot at winning.

Pretty much the best way to beat the Rangers is to trade chances with them. You do that, you win. Caps didn't, and they lost.
There are some players who looked bad at times but I'm still confident in most of our roster. We have a lot of great players. It's just too bad that we landed the MOST conservative coach in the league.

I could say much more but I'll end this rant on the topic of Semin. This will pretty much reiterate what I've said before: a happy Semin is a good Semin. Playing Hunter style gives him nothing to work with and then he starts looking terrible. He might not get that much better with a different coach, but he sure as hell will never play well under Hunter, same goes for Ovechkin.

Semin's inconsistencies make him worth less 6.7 mill. But if we keep Hunter, he shouldn't even be on the team. If Hunter is gone, there's still a lot a variables that determine if we should keep him. But my point is, if the situation is right, we should.

Like always, should be an "interesting" offseason.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:18 AM
GijsGroenland

Great series and very exciting. I hope our Capitals will improve next season with less stress and frustration for me in the regular season and please for once: let's get passed round 2 next year .

Old
05-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:

you can rule it out for the next decade or so pretty easily. we'll all watch, painfully, hoping for the best, but it aint happening with 8 sucking 10m outta the cap and playing like THAT.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:47 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Interesting piece this morning from WAPO Sports Columnist Tom Boswell. It's entitled "A series lost, but a needed identity found".

I have to say I agree with what he's written.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...SLU_story.html

Old
05-13-2012, 06:57 AM
district9

i know you guys are obviously super disappointed but i think if the team buys into this system and adds a few pieces there's some serious potential, especially if holtby can play a full season like he's played these playoffs.

the rangers system has brought us to the ECF for the first time in 15 years, and you guys do the same thing. biggest difference is you guys have some SERIOUS offensive talent and we don't. i think a full season under hunter could be hugely successful

i'm not getting the caps fans who think boudreau would have done a better job with the team, because i think boston or new york would have absolutely dominated a capitals team under boudreau. look what happened to philly as soon as they went up against a competent defensive team...same sort of run n gun style the caps always played. rangers were 6-0 against philly this season by the way.

anyway, great series! hope we don't see you in the playoffs again because i doubt we'll be able to pull it off in 7 next time

Old
05-13-2012, 06:57 AM
um

werent we a defensive team last year, i dont get this new identity crap

Old
05-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Atlas

Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Keep eating your vitamins.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
the caps new identity (which we should apparently enjoy): play limp and hope to get a lucky break in the last 5 minutes.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:06 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Interesting piece this morning from WAPO Sports Columnist Tom Boswell. It's entitled "A series lost, but a needed identity found".

If this garbage is the future, I'm going to be following the team by reading box scores. I'm not watching or financially enabling this wussbag ****.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
tycoonheart

Just a few years ago, media and fans were both killing Julien for being overly defensive. Said he would never win with the limited offensive style they played. But slowly, his players learned the system, he learned his players, and Julien adapted to make it more of a balanced system. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible under Dale. Most of these guys are still new to the system. Let him have the offseason, training camp, etc, etc, lets see how they come in under Dale next year. I'm willing to bet he will tweak a few things here and there.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:10 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
If this garbage is the future, I'm going to be following the team by reading box scores. I'm not watching or financially enabling this wussbag ****.
Because the previous formulas or identities for this team were so successful.

NYR, NJD, LAK and Yotes all play a similar style of hockey to what Hunter had this team playing. That those teams are still in the playoffs just happens to be an anomaly.

If you are interested in style, watch figure skating. If you want to be entertained go to the movies. If you want to see this team succeed where it matters, in the playoffs then stay the course that they are now on.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Capsman

Quote:

Boswell knows very little about hockey and is copying the pundits who never, ever criticize a coach and love grind it out underdogs. Problem is, this team has better than underdog grinder talent. Yeah it has a couple holes, but honestly this team is less than the sum of its parts.

As others have said, the identity we have found is not that of a solid defensive team, but that of a team just trying to keep its head above water. You could put 5 guys all in front of the net, getting pelted by shots, and you will go nowhere losing 1-0 games and players to injury. Hunter's offense is not sophisticated enough to score the 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 goals that a sagging, defense first team needs to score. We don't move the puck well or quickly enough and there's not enough player movement away from the puck. We are very slow through the neutral zone and blue line. There's a reason our guys always seem to be blanketed at every moment. Offensive players are deserting teammates still playing the puck to go change lines or get back on defense.

I really believe that a lot of the missed simple plays are due to lack of repetition in practice.

Honestly, if I were a Rags fan or a typical Caps hating pundit I'd be singing Hunter's praises too.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Because the previous formulas or identities for this team were so successful.

NYR, NJD, LAK and Yotes all play a similar style of hockey to what Hunter had this team playing. That those teams are still in the playoffs just happens to be an anomaly.

If you are interested in style, watch figure skating. If you want to be entertained go to the movies. If you want to see this team succeed where it matters, in the playoffs then stay the course that they are now on.
You think? Did you watch the difference between the Rangers with a 1 goal lead and us with a 1 goal lead? You do realize that those teams are significantly more aggressive than we are, don't you? That's like saying "baseball team A manufactures runs and is successful, so our manager is in the right by having our clean-up hitter bunt with the bases loaded and 1 out."

Old
05-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Roughing

Pathetic performance. Caps deserved to lose. So it goes...

Old
05-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Just a few years ago, media and fans were both killing Julien for being overly defensive. Said he would never win with the limited offensive style they played. But slowly, his players learned the system, he learned his players, and Julien adapted to make it more of a balanced system. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible under Dale. Most of these guys are still new to the system. Let him have the offseason, training camp, etc, etc, lets see how they come in under Dale next year. I'm willing to bet he will tweak a few things here and there.
Well that is the million dollar question. Has Dale been looking at this as more than a 1 season process? Was this the season he simply changes the culture and focus, then in subsequent years reinstalls some offensive emphasis? Or does he feel this is the way to play and we need better individual offensive talent to make the most of the few offensive opportunities?

You mention Boston, but I do not recall Boston EVER playing like this team under Julien. They forechecked with vigor, and their defense did not sag to the extent of ours.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Like I said, the identity resembles that which has failed the Caps in the playoffs for the past 30 years.

The identity of 'keep it close and hope for a late goal' sucks.

Closed Thread