HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick recommendations

Old
05-04-2012, 08:29 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Stick recommendations

I've been playing for about 6 weeks. I've had a couple of different people helping me with my shooting, but no matter how I follow their recommendations, I can't get the puck to lift off the ice at all. I can hit it fairly hard, but it always stays on the ice.

My stick is the bottom of the line basic wood stick - 95 flex, but cut down about 1.5". I've noticed that no matter how much I push on it, I can not get it to flex at all.

One of my teammates last night suggested I try a different stick, with a lower flex. Is that likely to help? She said she uses an intermediate stick, composite, 75 flex. She's a lot smaller than I am and has been playing longer, so I'm sure that her shooting is much better due to that rather than simply a stick issue.

My shots have improved greatly since I first started, I can hit them hard enough to go a decent distance and in the general vicinity of where I'm aiming. But as far as lift...no go. And it never really does that fast snap, my shots act more like passes that just happen to be aimed at the net rather than another player.

I am happy to keep using the wood stick if it's an experience/practice thing. But if having a stick that is not right for me is going to hold me back, I'm going to start thinking about getting a different one.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
hyster110

start with an 80 dollar composite with a lower flex rating, may a 77 flex then continue to work on your technique, 6 weeks is a very small window and your going to need alot more practice to develop properly

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check out the sticky up top on regarding stick advice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:41 AM
hubby1746

Bauer Vapor X20

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...um-s10-sr.html

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I've been playing for about 6 weeks. I've had a couple of different people helping me with my shooting, but no matter how I follow their recommendations, I can't get the puck to lift off the ice at all. I can hit it fairly hard, but it always stays on the ice.

My stick is the bottom of the line basic wood stick - 95 flex, but cut down about 1.5". I've noticed that no matter how much I push on it, I can not get it to flex at all.

One of my teammates last night suggested I try a different stick, with a lower flex. Is that likely to help? She said she uses an intermediate stick, composite, 75 flex. She's a lot smaller than I am and has been playing longer, so I'm sure that her shooting is much better due to that rather than simply a stick issue.

My shots have improved greatly since I first started, I can hit them hard enough to go a decent distance and in the general vicinity of where I'm aiming. But as far as lift...no go. And it never really does that fast snap, my shots act more like passes that just happen to be aimed at the net rather than another player.

I am happy to keep using the wood stick if it's an experience/practice thing. But if having a stick that is not right for me is going to hold me back, I'm going to start thinking about getting a different one.
How's your follow through? If your shot is more like a pass then you either have too little followthrough on your shot or too much followthrough on your pass. Lifting a shot off the ice is more about the mechanics and following through than actually putting force behind it. Obviously a shot without force will drop off quickly, but you should be able to lift it even with very little velocity.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:39 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I've been told that if my stick ends up high on the follow through, that's where the puck will go. I know that I'm ending up with it off the ice, really focusing on NOT stopping as soon as I hit the puck, but still no lift.

The first few times with a puck, it was going all over the place. I was advised to make sure my stick pointed in the right direction, the puck would go wherever I was pointing it on the follow-through. So I've fixed that issue - the puck is going in the direction I'm pointing it. I'm just not getting any lift whatsoever, and not a whole heck of a lot of power behind the shot. Last week the coach was having us lean into the ice to try to get a feel for how to load the stick by flexing, and I got nothing. No flex. Not even the tiniest bit. I'm thinking I'm just not strong enough in the arms to get that from my current stick.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
donkers*

Practice shooting on dry land. I think you're shooting off balance on ice.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Try out different flexes and go with the lower-mid level sticks. I have a 85, 75, and a 65 flex stick sitting around and I tried all of them. Been sticking with the 75 for a while now. You'll find out what flex suits you the more you play, but you need to try them out.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:53 AM
AIREAYE

Jarick's thread on sticks should tell you most of what you need to know. How tall are you? I have a pretty good idea that you will do much better with an intermediate stick if you need to cut off 1.5" off a SR model. Most INT sticks are 58" iirc and SR are 60". But then again wood is all over the place so if you tell us your height, we can help you out better.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
hockeymass

I'm not convinced the stick is the issue. This might be tough, but is it possible to take a video of your shooting motion? That might help you analyze the problems, and if you posted it we could analyze it too.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Stories
Science!

It's also something that just comes with time. You'll keep on practicing and eventually, you'll get a feel for how it should feel. It probably took me half a year to really get comfortable at putting the puck where I wanted it (lift-wise).

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'm a little over 5'7". Not a huge amount of upper-body strength.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Andre Boudrias

Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
a 65-70 Flex intermediate stick would be right for you.

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
It's also something that just comes with time. You'll keep on practicing and eventually, you'll get a feel for how it should feel. It probably took me half a year to really get comfortable at putting the puck where I wanted it (lift-wise).
I agree. A good stick won't magically cure poor technique.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

At 95 flex and 5'7 there's almost no flex on your shot. I believe you said you were a woman, so 65 flex would be the MOST I would go, maybe even starting with a stiffer junior stick if you could find one.

Wood sticks absolutely suck for those of us who are short. If the flex is good, the blade is too flimsy and the shots go off target. I've wasted money on a few and none of them have been worth using.

You'll have to sink ~$100 into a decent intermediate stick. Some good ones, depending on your handedness:

Easton EQ40 or S15
Bauer X:50 or One75
Warrior Dolomite (any model)

Weather permitting, I'm going to shoot some videos this weekend displaying my shooting technique. I'll let you know if/when I can get them finished.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'm 5'11 and I use a 75 flex. Like some other users said, 65 is probably your ideal flex.

You might even want to consider giving JR sticks a try, if you like your stick really whippy.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Yes, I'm a woman - and I know that the stick I have is the cheapest, most basic stick around - it was part of the 'adult beginner' package, and not a lot of selection went into it other than right vs. left. I don't mind, since I had no idea what I was looking for initially and just needed something to use until I knew what I liked. Now that I have played a few times, I am getting a slightly better idea of what I need (or more likely - what I don't need!).

I don't expect that having a different stick will solve all of my woes, but I do know that having equipment that is wrong won't help. I expect it to take a while to learn how to get a good, accurate shot - but when the coach is trying to get you to get some flex, and the videos and tutorials all mention getting flex in order to get power behind the shot - I think having a stick that is way too stiff for me will just make me frustrated. I've tried really leaning down on the stick to see if I could bend it even the tiniest bit, and nope, no flex. Getting something that at least has the chance of allowing me to do what I'm supposed to will help!

Thanks for all of the input! I will stop by the store this weekend and see if I can find something that will fit my needs a little better, I'd love to be able to try it out on Sunday when I have my next practice and game!

And please let me know when you upload your videos - I'd love to see them!

Old
05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good equipment won't make you better, but bad equipment can make you a lot worse.

Trying to use a 100 flex stick at your height is almost as bad as trying to use the wrong handed stick. It will help A TON.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Yup, what everyone else has said, go to a 65 flex. Get something with a fairly neutral curve, like a PM9 or P88 (bauer). Also, if you can, try to do some shooting off ice. The only way you will get better is to take a zillion shots.

For what its worth, I'm a woman, 5'4" who has played for about 15 years and I use a 60 flex. I used a 65 when I played a lot, but now I skate occasionally and I've gotten wimpy so I use the 60 flex now.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would go P88 or P92 myself. As time goes on I tend to recommend the PM9 less and less as it's so closed and flat. It might be easier to just learn to shoot with a neutral or open curve with good technique from the get go than learn to shoot from a closed and flat blade and then adjust down the road.

Plus the immediate positive feedback of a harder and higher shot from the P92 might be more valuable to you.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:34 AM
hockeymass

I agree with the open curve advice. However, don't be shocked if you go out and buy a fancy new stick and still can't lift the puck.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
donkers*

I always felt like flex helped more with power and technique helped with elevation (accuracy).

A lower flex might help but like the guy above me said, don't be shocked if your problem isn't fixed. Also, 6 weeks in and your coach is already talking about loading the stick while shooting? I don't think I consciously worried about that for a couple years when I started out.

Last edited by donkers*: 05-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I agree with the open curve advice. However, don't be shocked if you go out and buy a fancy new stick and still can't lift the puck.
nah, I expect it won't fix anything by itself - it will just make it easier for me to do what I need to do to learn how to do that.

I'm finding that it really doesn't matter how hard I hit the puck, it doesn't change the power behind it - I'm still just really swiping at it rather than getting any spring from the stick.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
donkers*

How's your wrist shot?

Old
05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
nah, I expect it won't fix anything by itself - it will just make it easier for me to do what I need to do to learn how to do that.

I'm finding that it really doesn't matter how hard I hit the puck, it doesn't change the power behind it - I'm still just really swiping at it rather than getting any spring from the stick.
Fair enough. I just don't want you to get frustrated and quit! It took me a good long while to develop a strong wristshot and snapshot, and it took me about 10 years to get my slapshot to a point where I wasn't embarrassed by it.