HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Best Anthem

Old
05-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Canuck21t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heutZe View Post
The same can be said for every european country except for the Balkans. European history is not like America. It's a lot longer, and a lot more bloody.

Although the Nordic countries have been at a relative peace for about 200 years now, the region was quite unstable from the 15th to the early 17th century. Sweden were quite the war-mongering nation back then, and since Finnish peasants made up the bulk of the Swedish army (which were second only to France in Europe at that time) Finland does not have the lovely peaceful history you would asume.
I did not just assume, I know Finland was under Swedish and Russian rule and had to fight hard for its independence. It's still a peaceful country to the eyes of many. I mean Finland is not known as an aggressor. The fact that Finns have fought in the Swedish army says a lot; Sweden was the aggressor. Finland in itself as a country has never been as far as I'm aware of. There is a reason I described Finland as valiant. I put that there for a reason, I knew its history wasn't all rosy and had fought some hard battles, but as a whole it is rather peaceful because if you look at other countries around the world, every country has had a tough past in their long history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Most western countries haven't been in "significant" conflicts past WWII though, except USA of course. To have an epic anthem you don't have to go to war every ten years to keep it epic.

I like the finnish anthem, I think the melody suits my image of Finland quite well. Peaceful, but with a difficult past, hardened, one could say.
Epic to me is the Russian anthem and I do not think it matches with a country like Finland, Canada or even Great Britain. Either the land mass is too small or the population is too small and add Finland's peaceful nature, epic is not what comes to mind. That doesn't mean it hasn't had a hard past, I never said that.

Although Finlandia is a very good composition, I'm not sure it's a good national anthem because it has some extremely calm sections. Maybe someone could point me to an instrumental but non-orchestral version? Anyway, if Finlandia is so liked by most Finns, then why it's not the national anthem?

Last edited by Canuck21t: 05-13-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

The next person who brings up anything related to politics will receive an infraction and a threadban.

THIS INCLUDES RESPONDING TO COMMENTS MADE PRIOR TO THIS WARNING.

If you want to talk politics, do so in the Politics subforum (and only there). Thanks.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Being an American I am kind of partial to The Star Spangeld Banner, although I really like O Canada too.

I do like most anthems though (I haven't heard any in this thread I don't like).

I figure this would be a good thread to post this: (The audio might be a bit choppy at first, but it cleans up)

Those guys do a lot of anthems at Tampa sports games. Not so much now though since we got the pipe organ at the forum and the crowd sings instead.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Absolutely love Russia's. I don't even live there, and that anthem still makes me want to fight for the motherland

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
RiWeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWeBo View Post

Posted this earlier, but botched the links...

RiWeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Rexor

I have a soft spot for the Israeli anthem, too (starts at 0:32).

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Mortenson

Czech national anthem is the nicest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Russia
Canada
USA

Mortenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
fpfish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv5jL...eature=related

fpfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
roboninja
EYG

Being biased, I think Canada's anthem is the best. I do like the Russian one as well, but I have to admit being uni-linguistic does not help here, as it is hard to really like an anthem when you cannot tell what they are saying.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Fallglimmer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
USA (to slow, no drive but still has that something)
honestly, the anthem is normally performed/played much slower today than it is really supposed to be. I studied music and played in the band in high school and college, people were often surprised by how fast we played it. Most are used to hearing it performed either as a funeral dirge or pop stars using it as their own personal playground to do whatever they please with, the tempo is meant to stay consistent straight through.

Fallglimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:55 PM
kajoo

all the anthems are pathetic bs anyway.

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Drij

The old Soviet Union one sounds so bad ass.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote