HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Marlies: A team with a dream

Old
05-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Toronto Marlies: A team with a dream

This was a very good read this morning, well written with a lot of things you may not know about our Marlies and a team that came together.

By Damien Cox
Sports Columnist

ABBOTSFORD, B.C.—It’s about a team.

Quote:
It’s about Derek King, who decided to uproot his wife, twins, 11-year-old son, three dogs, two lizards and a guinea pig and answer a friend’s call for help. It’s about Ben Scrivens, a bookworm goalie who once was considered to have such little promise that he paid to finance his own trade from one junior to team to another. It’s about Philippe Dupuis proving to himself that he’s not a failure.

The story of this year’s edition of the Toronto Marlies is about Mike Zigomanis’ health concerns, Will Acton’s refusal to accept a life out of hockey and Jake Gardiner trying to play with a stick that isn’t his.

It’s about hard choices, melding together different hockey lives and the idea that the most important part of a person is often something you don’t know.

It’s about a boy named Dallas, hardened while being raised in “hillbilly country” in the United States, who grew into a man haunted by the memory of a .22 rifle and the two dads who abandoned him. It’s about coach Eakins, who made the NHL the hard way as a player and is now the bench boss of a team eight wins away from a minor league championship.

That’s the sturdy frame upon which the Toronto Marlies rest.

Continue here: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...m-with-a-dream

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
toronto murphy laws

Agreed on this being a good read. I found the backstory on Eakins particularly interesting. Also loved what Scrivens said about Allaire and his critics lol.

Hopefully they can keep their success going in the conference finals.

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
noway

One of the best hockey news stories I've ever read.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:40 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

That stick deal business sure is rediculous. Why would Jay Rosehill of all people need to use a stick he is more comfortable with over Gardiner? Rediculous.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto murphy laws View Post
Agreed on this being a good read. I found the backstory on Eakins particularly interesting. Also loved what Scrivens said about Allaire and his critics lol.

Hopefully they can keep their success going in the conference finals.
I liked what Scrivens had to say about Allaire too, this was a very good and upbeat story and I had to read the whole thing.

I have got to admit I may be one of the idiots Scrivens was talking about but he's right, we voice an opinion on things we really know little about but of course that's what we do here and it's good to get put in your place and given a slap across the face, when a player speaks out and says his piece.....LOL

I'll be an Allaire supporter from now on.

Quote:
For much of this, he gives credit to embattled Leaf goalie coach Francois Allaire.

“His system isn’t just, sit there and be motionless and hope pucks hit you,” says Scrivens. “People who say that are idiots. It’s like writing a book report on a book you’ve never read before and being forceful about your convictions. But again, you can have your opinion, and I can have the opinion that you’re an idiot.”

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:52 AM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Colborne's rip on Ziggy was hilarious. What a great read.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:03 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I liked what Scrivens had to say about Allaire too, this was a very good and upbeat story and I had to read the whole thing.

I have got to admit I may be one of the idiots Scrivens was talking about but he's right, we voice an opinion on things we really know little about but of course that's what we do here and it's good to get put in your place and given a slap across the face, when a player speaks out and says his piece.....LOL

I'll be an Allaire supporter from now on.
I'll admit it made me re-think my stance on Allaire, but then again you're right when you say that this is what we as fans do with everything team related. Whether it's the coach's competence, the player's ability to lead, the goalie coach's system etc. etc. etc. we really know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes. Doesn't seem to stop us from speaking our minds

Sometimes (hell maybe all the time with Leafs Nation) we let passion blind reason.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

It's things like that stick issue that the normal fan (heck, even someone who follows the team closesly) doesn't know about.

But it's funny, because you read through some of the game threads about Gardiner at the AHL level and some people may have harsh criticisms of him. Saying he may be running of gas, or doesn't look the same..etc. Would anyone ever even think of an issue like a stick being a main factor for a player? Or, that an AHL player is even restricted to the type of gear he can use?

It's things at the AHL level that you just don't know about. It's one of the things that bothers me about people when they chime in (without actually watching the games) and just by looking at stats say 'Well he was doing this at this point, but now isn't doing it anymore, therefore he must be a bust'. Well no, not in all cases. A lot of stuff doesn't get publicized at the AHL level because there just isn't the coverage for it. From injuries, to things like Gardiner's stick issues.

It's just funny when it comes down to it.. a simple thing as a stick could really make the difference in a player.

05-12-2012, 08:22 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Outstanding - now I understand why Dallas rarely smiles in interviews & is such a serious cat.

TOUGH TOUGH guy - gotta love his story!

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

great article, cox has been better than usual lately imo

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:35 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Fantastic read

Great quote here:
Quote:
“His system isn’t just, sit there and be motionless and hope pucks hit you,” says Scrivens. “People who say that are idiots. It’s like writing a book report on a book you’ve never read before and being forceful about your convictions. But again, you can have your opinion, and I can have the opinion that you’re an idiot.”
I love reading posts about coaching or even hockey in general on this board. There isn't much that I find funnier.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Wow I didn't know about the stick issue. I can understand Zigo and Dupuis even to some extent but Rosehill? Now, I may not follow the Marlies as well as I follow the Leafs but wouldn't a blue-chipper smooth puckmoving D-man's stick be a little more important than Rosehill's?

05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
samwitch

Wow! Eakins had it rough... Really enjoyed that article.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Wow I didn't know about the stick issue. I can understand Zigo and Dupuis even to some extent but Rosehill? Now, I may not follow the Marlies as well as I follow the Leafs but wouldn't a blue-chipper smooth puckmoving D-man's stick be a little more important than Rosehill's?
Is the seniority thing a Marlie rule or an AHL rule? I can't quite tell.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:47 AM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
It's things like that stick issue that the normal fan (heck, even someone who follows the team closesly) doesn't know about.

But it's funny, because you read through some of the game threads about Gardiner at the AHL level and some people may have harsh criticisms of him. Saying he may be running of gas, or doesn't look the same..etc. Would anyone ever even think of an issue like a stick being a main factor for a player? Or, that an AHL player is even restricted to the type of gear he can use?

It's things at the AHL level that you just don't know about. It's one of the things that bothers me about people when they chime in (without actually watching the games) and just by looking at stats say 'Well he was doing this at this point, but now isn't doing it anymore, therefore he must be a bust'. Well no, not in all cases. A lot of stuff doesn't get publicized at the AHL level because there just isn't the coverage for it. From injuries, to things like Gardiner's stick issues.

It's just funny when it comes down to it.. a simple thing as a stick could really make the difference in a player.
Good post, very true! That stick rule seemed pretty ridiculous to me haha. Now it makes me wonder what Gardiner's play would be like if he had his proper stick lo!

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:51 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
Can't imagine it being an AHL rule

Although you would think the Leafs would want their bluechip prospect using a stick he's comfortable with

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
I understood it as a Marlie rule. Not sure what the reasoning is other than seniority.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
CG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I understood it as a Marlie rule. Not sure what the reasoning is other than seniority.
Its a respect thing, you have to earn your stripes on the team and the veterans have done that. You don't want to instill a feeling of entitlement within the rookies, regardless of there projected career path. Same thing as Broll and Percy carrying the equipment to the bus.

CG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG14 View Post
Its a respect thing, you have to earn your stripes on the team and the veterans have done that. You don't want to instill a feeling of entitlement within the rookies, regardless of there projected career path. Same thing as Broll and Percy carrying the equipment to the bus.
Yeah this. It's an "unwritten" rule, and it's a good one.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
The Nic

Have to admit, Damien's series of stories in the Star this morning were moving, informative and inspirational. I root for everyone in the organization to do well, but I'll have a special place in my heart for Eakins, Zigomanis, Scrivens and Acton from now on.

Had to laugh at Scriven's comments re. Allaire... though his opinion of bloggers and press hacks who think that they know more about the game than professional coaches do were more desperately overdue than funny. I was happy to read that Coach Eakins would likely be back behind the Marlies bench next season as well. I think that he plays a major part in moving the organization forward and I hope that he is suitably compensated for it. We going to see a lot of his hard work playing for the Leafs next season I'll bet.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:14 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Damn it. Eakins is going to be an NHL coach soon. And its not going to be with the Leafs.

Cox should stick to articles like this. Well written and insightful.

Rosie should be letting Gards use the stick he wants. One guy is a goon, the other is a star in the making.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
eyeball11

S'funny, I've been saying for years now that it amazes me that people who are paid for a living to write and have access to all these players for whatever reason don't do the obvious (and what I as a fan would want) which is to delve into who these people are and where they come from. Instead, they spend most of their time writing tabloid fare. Lo and behold, someone finally writes such an article and what kind of reaction does it generate?

About time.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

For once I loved this article by Cox. It was awesome

What a great article and I can only respect Eakins even more after battling so much.

05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Pierre Gotye

What's even more surprising is that Damien Cox wrote this article.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Damn it. Eakins is going to be an NHL coach soon. And its not going to be with the Leafs.

Cox should stick to articles like this. Well written and insightful.

Rosie should be letting Gards use the stick he wants. One guy is a goon, the other is a star in the making.
Respect for seniority means a lot - and it's an important character lesson for gardiner imo that even though he may be a great prospect with a lot of potential, he still has to pay his dues and give way to the vets like any rookie should.