HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Marlies: A team with a dream

Old
05-13-2012, 10:19 AM
ReimTime
Bozakian Bond

vCash: 500
Wow great article.. Just.. wow. Respect to all these guys.

ReimTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Interactif

The quotes that brought a smile to my face when I read them were.

Nazem:
Quote:
“It’s a little frustrating because at the end of the day I want to be an NHL player and I want to contribute in the NHL and I want to help that team up there,” he says. “But that’s not my decision to make. Being down here, with the group of guys we’ve got that is so genuine, every single one of them is my brother. With the run we’ve got going here we believe in ourselves.

“And hey, if it means winning a championship, who’s going to be unhappy about that?”
Jerry:

Quote:
Four fans in Toronto Maple Leafs jerseys sit behind the Marlies bench, all wearing heavy felt black beards in honour of forward Jerry D’Amigo, who has a serious mountain man look going.
Ziggy:

Quote:
Mike Zigomanis, with one elbow hyperextended and the other badly bruised, scores in overtime to eliminate the Heat and put the Marlies into the AHL’s Western Conference final. Like its Toronto parent club, this organization has its own history of futility. No Leaf farm team has won the Calder Cup since the days of the Original Six.
Joe C:

Quote:
“I’m hard on myself. It’s always a battle. I expect a lot of myself. Knowing I’ve put the work I have put in, I expect to get the results.”
Dallas:
Quote:
At the age of 12, young Dallas went to Roger Neilson’s hockey camp, and soon after joined the junior Petes and began working at the camp during summers.

“The connection between Roger and I was immediate,” says Eakins.
Quote:
Eakins can’t restrain himself when it comes to discussing Burke, the boss who gave him the chance to coach the Marlies, although not the opportunity — yet — to coach the Maple Leafs.

“I’d go through the wall for that man,” he says of the Leafs general manager.
The Team:

Quote:
For the Marlies, the trick is to put the guys like Acton in the same dressing room as players such as Colborne and Kadri and Gardiner, ones with realistic dreams of the NHL, and get them all to focus on the same objective.

“Every team has the potential to work together,” says Acton. “Every guy also has a reason to be selfish. As Dallas always says, ‘If we all want to get to where we want to be, we have to do it together.’ ”
This team has personality and character, something we can say we haven't had in awhile up with the big club. It's easy to want to root for each and every member of the Marlies. Love this continuing story, keep it up!

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:25 PM
agropop

I'd go through a wall for that man....

I just love that line

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
I'd go through a wall for that man....

I just love that line
I believe Liles also said that just after re-signing with us this year.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:45 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

man, I really love this team! Seems like they have good relationships in the locker room which is always nice

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
I believe Liles also said that just after re-signing with us this year.
It's comments like that from players and coaches that confirm my belief that Burke is a great GM for this organization. But that's a comment for a different thread.

I really enjoyed this article. These are the things I like to read about when it comes to the team I cheer for. I get a glimpse into their lives without intruding.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Nice read.

I don't really like the whole hockey stick rule, kind of dumb if you ask me. Gardiner has to play handicapped while... Jay Rosehill gets his preference... because he's a 'veteran' lol.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:19 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONOHA View Post
Nice read.

I don't really like the whole hockey stick rule, kind of dumb if you ask me. Gardiner has to play handicapped while... Jay Rosehill gets his preference... because he's a 'veteran' lol.
yah it's quite ridiculous. C'est la vie though :/

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Gberg

Respect for the Marlies went up a lot, even though I already like them and follow them.

To hear about Dallas Eakins' life... wow, that man went through so much. I can truly understand why he's garnered so much respect and as to why the Marlies players really listen to him.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
MadarameIkakku83

Can't see why rosehill can't give up his Reebok to jake, not like jay doesnt use his fists more than anything else

MadarameIkakku83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Prophet Kadri

Gardiner should just get Bauer to make a stick that looks like a RBK. I wonder how that would work out.

Prophet Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
canary
Strictly Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Gardiner should just get Bauer to make a stick that looks like a RBK. I wonder how that would work out.
I've seen sticks that have been painted as a different stick of the same brand, but I am not sure if I've ever seen a rebranded stick. Gloves often get rebranded.

canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadarameIkakku83 View Post
Can't see why rosehill can't give up his Reebok to jake, not like jay doesnt use his fists more than anything else
While I agree that it's an insane rule but I don't think the Marlies should bend over backwards and make Jake feel like he's bigger than the team. This is how it is and nobody is above it.

If he wants to just put black tape all over his stick and try to cheat, great but to ask a bunch of "veterans" to give up something just because Gardiner is upper level kinda gives off the wrong message.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:31 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
While I agree that it's an insane rule but I don't think the Marlies should bend over backwards and make Jake feel like he's bigger than the team. This is how it is and nobody is above it.

If he wants to just put black tape all over his stick and try to cheat, great but to ask a bunch of "veterans" to give up something just because Gardiner is upper level kinda gives off the wrong message.
It's about winning. Rosehill touches the puck once, twice a game -- tops. There is no "message".

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Its the name of the game folks you can't do anything regarding the stick rule really.

05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Ziggy:

Mike Zigomanis, with one elbow hyperextended and the other badly bruised, scores in overtime to eliminate the Heat and put the Marlies into the AHL’s Western Conference final. Like its Toronto parent club, this organization has its own history of futility. No Leaf farm team has won the Calder Cup since the days of the Original Six.
Actually they won it in the early 80's as the New Brunswick Hawks playing out of Moncton (I used to watch them there).

Now technically that was a split club, part Chicago and part Toronto.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Actually they won it in the early 80's as the New Brunswick Hawks playing out of Moncton (I used to watch them there).

Maybe somehow the Leafs can swing this for next season and we get Kane/Toews on the top 6 along with Seabrook and Keith as the top 2 D......Nice.

The Chi-ronto Maple Hawks.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:03 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
One of the best hockey news stories I've ever read.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Maybe somehow the Leafs can swing this for next season and we get Kane/Toews on the top 6 along with Seabrook and Keith as the top 2 D......Nice.

The Chi-ronto Maple Hawks.
Dare to dream (though I've often thought we should combine with Montreal as their strengths are our weaknesses and vice versa).....

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post

Under Marc Craword and Joel Quennville, they also went to the final with Felix Potvin as the #1 Goalie but lost.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Interactif

The reaction to Joe Colborne's 1st goal since February last night spoke volumes how well liked he is by his teammates. Love to see this type of chemistry on a team, dream continues.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
What's even more surprising is that Damien Cox wrote this article.
I'm pretty sure he paid Friedman for the rights to the article.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
It's about winning. Rosehill touches the puck once, twice a game -- tops. There is no "message".
Kid ain't got no respect.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Wow I didn't know about the stick issue. I can understand Zigo and Dupuis even to some extent but Rosehill? Now, I may not follow the Marlies as well as I follow the Leafs but wouldn't a blue-chipper smooth puckmoving D-man's stick be a little more important than Rosehill's?
I don't think so, it's a dumb rule nonetheless it does teach & promote respect within a team which is good, if anything this is good for Gardiner. People have this stigma that development comes via success and thriving, on the contrary development is all about failing, persevering and growing from failing to get better. This is making Gardiner a better player being a little uncomfortable because of the stick he is now learning to focus a whole lot more on the mental side of the game which frankly is the most important aspect in being a pro, the mental side is developing because of it. It really shouldn't matter to him about the stick the fact that it does tells me mentally he still has far to go in growth mentally to be the best player he could be which is scary to think of how good he could get seeing how good he already is.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:19 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I don't think so, it's a dumb rule nonetheless it does teach & promote respect within a team which is good, if anything this is good for Gardiner. People have this stigma that development comes via success and thriving, on the contrary development is all about failing, persevering and growing from failing to get better. This is making Gardiner a better player being a little uncomfortable because of the stick he is now learning to focus a whole lot more on the mental side of the game which frankly is the most important aspect in being a pro, the mental side is developing because of it. It really shouldn't matter to him about the stick the fact that it does tells me mentally he still has far to go in growth mentally to be the best player he could be which is scary to think of how good he could get seeing how good he already is.
Very well said.

draeko17 is online now   Reply With Quote