HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2012 Canada-Russia junior summit

Old
08-14-2012, 08:37 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
The two "patriotic" calls by the little ref decided the game. At any rate, these two teams are dead even in every facet of the game, which is a huge sign of success for the MHL in closing whatever distance there was with the CHL. Great effort by both teams.
Russia got absolutely dominated in this game. Not saying they're not a great team, but if Canada had used Subban yesterday and tonight, this series would be over. Russia's two best games were not surprisingly in Yaroslavl. This game could have been a complete gong show if not for Vasilevski. One thing I will credit the Russians for is their depth in net with Vasilevski and Makarov. Scary good tandem for Ufa.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
espo*

I don't think Hamilton has looked very good at all this series myself.

Maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Hamilton and Murray are studs. Not convinced by Reilly, Dumba and Murphy... what bothers me the most about Dumba is that we haven't seen his full offensive capabilities this series while Murphy and Reilly worry me when they get pressured in their own end.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM
KareemTrustfund
The real DuckJet

How has Vasilevski played?

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Suck on that Russia.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
espo*

Yeaaaaah!!

And once again......................Canada reigns supreme over Russia.

Ah.....................this never get's old, not even in an exhibition.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Congrats to Canada, they deserved to win tonight. SSS is next.

Makarov has a slight edge over Vasilevski right now.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Alberta tough

Better team won the game and series. Yeah feels good.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Either they were out of gas, or we found an extra gear - I'm leaning toward the latter

I'm glad we came together when it mattered. Very dominant looking at times this game.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
Suck on that Russia.
Congratulations to Canada. We lost the two games where Vasilevski was in net. We lacked offense tonight, partly because the patriotic refereeing took the Russians out of the game psychologically, partly because our defense continues to blatantly suck (the one area where the CHL seems to retain a lead over the MHL), and partly because the RHF was even more politically correct than Hockey Canada by sitting Kosov and Shalunov, and rotating Vasilevskiy in net. By patriotic refereeing, I don't only mean the two bad penalties that took Canada from trailing to leading - I also mean the blatant bulldozing of Vasilevskiy in the crease over and over while the referee stood by sucking on his whistle because he didn't have the balls to make the proper calls.

But all in all, it took Canada until OT of the last game to finally edge the Russians, whereas in 2007, Canada had 7 wins and a tie out of 8 games. They outscored Russia 39-13, while this year it was 16-16 after 12 periods and an OT. That's huge progress by Russia in just 5 years. If we can find some coaches who can fix the defense, we'll be hard to beat in the future. In a lot of ways, you can say that Canada outworked Russia, but nowhere close to outclassing them as in 2007.

Last edited by Yakushev72: 08-14-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: add something.
Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Zine

Called it. I knew Canada would be flying, and Russia flat/tired.

What a stupid and meaningless way to decide a series though......but those are the rules, and both teams knew them coming in. Congrats to Canada.

BTW, someone needs to light a fire under Grigorenko's butt.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Congratulations to Canada. We lost the two games where Vasilevski was in net. We lacked offense tonight, partly because the patriotic refereeing took the Russians out of the game psychologically, partly because our defense continues to blatantly suck (the one area where the CHL seems to retain a lead over the MHL), and partly because the RHF was even more politically correct than Hockey Canada by sitting Kosov and Shalunov, and rotating Vasilevskiy in net. By patriotic refereeing, I don't only mean the two bad penalties that took Canada from trailing to leading - I also mean the blatant bulldozing of Vasilevskiy in the crease over and over while the referee stood by sucking on his whistle because he didn't have the balls to make the proper calls.

But all in all, it took Canada until OT of the last game to finally edge the Russians, whereas in 2007, Canada had 7 wins and a tie out of 8 games. They outscored Russia 39-13, while this year it was 16-16 after 12 periods and an OT. That's huge progress by Russia in just 5 years. If we can find some coaches who can fix the defense, we'll be hard to beat in the future. In a lot of ways, you can say that Canada outworked Russia, but nowhere close to outclassing them as in 2007.
You forgot the questionable calls against Canada in your rant.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:14 PM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
Does anyone know if these games are available for download anywhere? I checked the usual torrent sites but there is nothing.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
We lost the two games where Vasilevski was in net. We lacked offense tonight, partly because the patriotic refereeing took the Russians out of the game psychologically, partly because our defense continues to blatantly suck (the one area where the CHL seems to retain a lead over the MHL), and partly because the RHF was even more politically correct than Hockey Canada by sitting Kosov and Shalunov, and rotating.......But all in all, it took Canada until OT of the last game to finally edge the Russians,
Typical paranoid bollocks...

Quote:
whereas in 2007, Canada had 7 wins and a tie out of 8 games. They outscored Russia 39-13, while this year it was 16-16 after 12 periods and an OT. That's huge progress by Russia in just 5 years. If we can find some coaches who can fix the defense, we'll be hard to beat in the future. In a lot of ways, you can say that Canada outworked Russia, but nowhere close to outclassing them as in 2007.

Semi agree. Russia is looking like a worthwhile opponent again, and did outplay us at times for sure. Our goaltending hasn't been stellar either - but it must be said that without Vasilevski efforts it might have been far worse tonight. Way to throw a guy under the bus for stopping as many as he did tonight...

Old
08-14-2012, 09:17 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I think tonight showed what Team Canada is capable of with "adequate" goaltending. The team dominated and was great in OT.

Here's to Subban starting for Canada at the WJR's. Well done, young man. Well done. Let's bring the World Junior Gold home to where it belongs.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
wings5

Quote:

Russia has made wonderful progress yes I was very impressed I agree with your last points but your beginning points were ridiculous, the ref took them out of the game? Aside from the tripping call which was unwarranted but which also got called against Canada afterwards, the refs were not as bad as you were making them seem. To blame a loss on the refs seems childish, the penalty calls were about even 4-3 or 4-4. It was their play that did not match their opponents simple. As far as the defence goes until they fix the problems in youth in which the least skilled players are chosen for defense i.e the ones not good enough to play forward I'm not sure they will get defensive depth like Sweden, Canada USA. MHL is helping the forwards play up to higher competition however and the goaltending is looking better than previous.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Zine

Quote:
We lost the two games where Vasilevski was in net. We lacked offense tonight, partly because the patriotic refereeing took the Russians out of the game psychologically, partly because our defense continues to blatantly suck (the one area where the CHL seems to retain a lead over the MHL), and partly because the RHF was even more politically correct than Hockey Canada by sitting Kosov and Shalunov, and rotating Vasilevski in net. But all in all, it took Canada until OT of the last game to finally edge the Russians, whereas in 2007, Canada had 7 wins and a tie out of 8 games. They outscored Russia 39-13, while this year it was 16-16 after 12 periods and an OT. That's huge progress by Russia in just 5 years. If we can find some coaches who can fix the defense, we'll be hard to beat in the future. In a lot of ways, you can say that Canada outworked Russia, but nowhere close to outclassing them as in 2007.
C'mon, refs were horrible (worse than in Russia) but it had nothing to do with todays result......we were simply outplayed.

But I agree it was a quality showing by both teams. Two victories each, we won the goal differential, they won the whatever tie breaker that OT was.

Can't wait for the SSS and WJC.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Let's all ease up on Yakushev72. He's a strong contributor to this forum. He's here, facing the music - unlike others.
He is also entitled to his opinion.

Congrats to Canada!

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

The only well officiated game was game 1. It was all downhill after that...

/edit - For Everyone!

Old
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't wanna hear complaints about Vasilevski. Try having Lagace and Brossoit in net, then you'll have something to complain about. Vasilevski kept this game from becoming an absolute rout. Better team won the series.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Rob

I really enjoyed this series. Probably because it didn't have the pressure of the WJC.

This series really brought me back down to earth. I was actually excited about women's soccer this summer.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Rob

If there is a lockout we are going to see a hell of a tournament at Christmas.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:23 PM
espo*

I agree, he knows his stuff and is standing up to the heat.

I respect that.

The ref thing was a little overdone as they were clearly outplayed and it didn't cost them the game however as a fan who has been on the losing side in a game where my team had to suck up some bad penalties I can understand his frustration at some of the calls. We also got called for more then one stinker in this series.

Oh well....................subway series and WJC awaits and if their is a lockout the WJC should be an absolute doozy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Let's all ease up on Yakushev72. He's a strong contributor to this forum. He's here, facing the music - unlike others.
He is also entitled to his opinion.

Congrats to Canada!

Last edited by espo*: 08-14-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 03:34 AM
Mr Writer

I came away less than impressed with Canada's performance. We have a lot of work to do to prepare for for the WJC and a lot of serious evaluating of players. I'd like to see at least 8 players dropped from the roster. I don't give Canada much of a chance in Ufa if they don't come up with some answers. The good news is none of the Canadian players look NHL ready, thus will be available for Christmas. The bad news is none of these players look ready for the NHL. The group of 1993 born players lack elite skilled forwards other than Nugent-Hopkins. Without him and some other serious changes to the roster, Canada will struggle to win a medal in Ufa. The MHL is defiantly on the right track and have have put Russia back in the game. If Kucherov, Nickushkin and the other guy (forget his name - sorry early morning...coffee hasn't yet kicked in) if those three played...I'm afraid there'd be a whole different story line here. But not that I want to make excuses for my Russian friends, teams have to overcome that... but facts are facts.
I predicted Russia would win last night's game..glad I was wrong...
but if anything good were to come out of this I hope some people at HC had their eyes opened to the lunacy of their chief scout... the one Canadian who is my arch enemy. One of these days my friends at HC will listen to me.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:07 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Yeaaaaah!!

And once again......................Canada reigns supreme over Russia.

Ah.....................this never get's old, not even in an exhibition.

thank you for entertainment!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:08 AM
pouskin74*

Congratulations to all Canadian fans! It was very close but win is win.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote