HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Plekanec to Washington

Old
05-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Plekanec to Washington

Seems like he would be a great fit as a 2C behind Backstrom, given that Montreal is quasi rebuilding he could be more available for futures than say, Pavelski. Would any combination of, say, Laich, Eakin, 10th OA, 16th OA, Boston's 2nd, 1st 2013 be of interest? Obviously not all of those assets combined. Laich goes the other way for salary but he's still a useful player in the right situation. Something like Laich, 10th OA, Boston's 2nd and another future 2nd would be fair I'd think.

I realize this is a quality for quantity deal, but could something like this go through?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Prairie Habs

I've been against a lot of the Plek proposals but I feel this one actually has decent value. What I like about it is Laich can take a similar role to Plek to at least start the season but can move to LW (he can play LW right? I'm not making this up?) when either Eller or Galy/Grigs is ready to take on a bigger role. I'm not crazy about his salary but his defensive skills can keep DD in an all offensive role and it would also get Eller some PP time. We should be able to nab a good D at 10 though I think Wsh's pick next year will be in the 20+ range pretty easily if they got Plek. I think I would do this one.

Edit: oh you changed the picks a little, I still think I would do it though.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Halpysback

Yeah Laich can play LW, statistically he's had his best seasons as our #2 LW and should probably be good for 45-55 points as a 2nd line LW depending on the system/linemates/PP. Thought 2 1sts were overkill from our perspective since Laich himself has value.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Prairie Habs

Yeah I think the change in the picks is fine. Laich's versitility is really a point here for me because of the insurance it gives us. In a perfect world our lines would be:

Patches - DD - Cole
Laich - Eller - Gionta
Bourque - Galy - Moen

But if Eller or Gally isn't ready to move up it can be

Patches - DD - Cole
Bourque - Laich - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Leblanc

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Overpayment this is!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

Overpayment a bit and I'm a habs fan. I'd do that because it's solid. Fair value won't get you plekanec because we're not deep in top 6 centers. The extra pick is just enough of a sweetner IMO. Really like this deal. Laich is solid too. Why trade him?

Edit: missed a pick. Big overpayment but I'll take it. Remove a 2nd for sure. The other pick combo plus Laich is still too much though.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Seems like he would be a great fit as a 2C behind Backstrom, given that Montreal is quasi rebuilding he could be more available for futures than say, Pavelski. Would any combination of, say, Laich, Eakin, 10th OA, 16th OA, Boston's 2nd, 1st 2013 be of interest? Obviously not all of those assets combined. Laich goes the other way for salary but he's still a useful player in the right situation. Something like Laich, 10th OA, Boston's 2nd and another future 2nd would be fair I'd think.

I realize this is a quality for quantity deal, but could something like this go through?
Laich
10th overall
2nd
2013 2nd

definitely an overpayment, but a definite overpayment is what it would take to pry him away from Montreal...

i'm a big fan of Plekanec, and would rather not see him traded at all, but for that kind of return it would be hard to say no.

From Washington's pov, given the extra 1st & 2nd they have this year, and the need Plekanec would fill (not too mention his style of play would fit in well with what Mcphee seems to want to adapt the team to), it might not be so crazy to make that kind of overpayment...

though I imagine they'd look elsewhere first, and probably find another target that would cost less and provide something similar.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Laich
10th overall
2nd
2013 2nd

I'll drive him to the airport myself for that kind of return. Wayyy too much! Would give the Habs two top 10 picks, 3 second rounders in 2012, and 4 second rounders in 2013. No chance of that happening.

Laich and the 10th overall would be it, the rest is over the top.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:51 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

Don't want to trade Plekanec but if we can get this offer pretty well have to take it. Is the pick 10 or 11th overall? I thought Caps were drafting 11?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:53 AM
MiKE5889

Although Plekanec no doubt is a very skilled player, I would prefer if the Caps looked elsewhere for a #2C. I wouldn't say that Plekanec is overpaid, but I feel that his cap hit of 5 million is a bit too high, especially since we have to resign Green and Carlson and since we still don't know if Semin returns next year.

If Semin does return, the Caps would do better by acquiring a center with a lot more physical ability. Having someone throwing big hits on the ice, would surely elevate Semin's play a great deal as he would get a lot more space to work with on the ice.

MiKE5889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
Although Plekanec no doubt is a very skilled player, I would prefer if the Caps looked elsewhere for a #2C. I wouldn't say that Plekanec is overpaid, but I feel that his cap hit of 5 million is a bit too high, especially since we have to resign Green and Carlson and since we still don't know if Semin returns next year.

If Semin does return, the Caps would do better by acquiring a center with a lot more physical ability. Having someone throwing big hits on the ice, would surely elevate Semin's play a great deal as he would get a lot more space to work with on the ice.
i guess you missed the recent news?

Semin's agent made it about as clear as possible that he won't be back...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'm with the other Hab fans on this one. Much more than fair IMO and if this was offered up I don't think Bergevin could possibly pass it up.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I'm with the other Hab fans on this one. Much more than fair IMO and if this was offered up I don't think Bergevin could possibly pass it up.
This.

I've held the thought that we should keep Pleks for the year to gauge the progression of DD, Eller and whoever was picked at #3.

But with Laich, and some solid picks, I agree that Bergevin would love to pull the trigger on a trade like this

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i guess you missed the recent news?

Semin's agent made it about as clear as possible that he won't be back...
semin's agent doesnt speak for semin. he is playing his own game and you believe anything he says publically at your own risk

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
semin's agent doesnt speak for semin. he is playing his own game and you believe anything he says publically at your own risk
I guarantee his agent said what he did to make it clear Semin wants to play a more open offensive game. If a coach isn't hired that allows for that or assurances made to him before re-signing, why wouldn't he just play the market? It isn't going to be flooded with high end talent this year so he can likely angle his way to a very solid deal

Old
05-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've said the same in the Ducks thread, but it just doesn't make any sense for the Habs to trade Plekanec unless it's in a package for that elusive top center with size. Gomez will (thankfully) be gone, and the team would be left with Desharnais, Eller and Leblanc at center, a very inexperienced group for such a key position.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I've said the same in the Ducks thread, but it just doesn't make any sense for the Habs to trade Plekanec unless it's in a package for that elusive top center with size. Gomez will (thankfully) be gone, and the team would be left with Desharnais, Eller and Leblanc at center, a very inexperienced group for such a key position.
which is why I wanted to at least wait until the deadline to see how they progress. But Laich + a couple 1st rd picks is a tough offer to ignore

Old
05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Yeah, I too dismiss most of the Plekanec trade proposals here, because so often they *are* predicated on the "Habs in rebuild mode" theme where so much of the returning value is in pure futures, and I really don't see the Habs as being in that kind of rebuild mode. But with Laich back, it would give the Habs a hard-working player who can take on some of Plekanec's responsibilities, address size issues, even while of course being far less dynamic and less productive. Laich and 10th OA would be the right way to catch my attention. Extra picks/prospects on top of that would seal the deal.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

It's the 11th overall.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Frank Drebin

As nice of a package as the 11th overall plus Laich is, I only see the Habs doing it if there is someone they desperately want who is left at 11...they don't do a trade like this to stockpile picks and prospects.

Value is there, definitely. Lopsided in the favor of the Habs even. Just not a fan of shiny picks like the rest of HF is.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
As nice of a package as the 11th overall plus Laich is, I only see the Habs doing it if there is someone they desperately want who is left at 11...they don't do a trade like this to stockpile picks and prospects.

Value is there, definitely. Lopsided in the favor of the Habs even. Just not a fan of shiny picks like the rest of HF is.
If Teravainen or maybe Girgensons is there I can see it.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Exactly, if there is a guy who was maybe #3 or #4 on their list that they saw fell to #11 I could see them being all over it.

ie) if their list was
1. Yak
2. Galy
3. Teravainen
4. Forsberg

and if Teravainen was still available at 11, then yes.

But, if Teravainen was actually #11 on their list, and available at #11, then no they don't make that move.

....if that makes sense...

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Or we deal the one of the late 2nds to move up a few slots and grab Teravainen? If TT likes him as much as rumoured

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:21 PM
sunnydaycrash

Never a good thing when all Habs fans like the trade offer.....way too much to offer for Pleks.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Never a good thing when all Habs fans like the trade offer.....way too much to offer for Pleks.
Yeah i'm not necessarily for trading Plekanec, but no way could the Habs turn down the original proposed deal.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote