HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL adopts $36m salary cap

Old
05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
KHL adopts $36m salary cap

http://hockey.sport-express.ru/world...2012-05-12/8_1

technically it's 36,523,615.84 USD

thoughts?

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:37 PM
yunost

is it a hard cap? I remember them wanting to implement it sometime soon

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:47 PM
ult

Yes it is.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:01 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Seems smallish for real hard cap...

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

If I'm reading the translation right, first offense will get a heavy fine, second offense will disqualify them from playoffs? ('League Cup'?)

Old
05-12-2012, 01:54 PM
ult

Yeah, for the first time they'll fine them and give them 2 weeks to part ways with some of the players to fit the cap, for the second violation they'll exclude the team.

Old
05-12-2012, 02:02 PM
VladNYC*

Absolutely a great move!

So no more free super star per team?

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 03:42 PM
ult

Yes, but the thing is, if this cap had been valid last season not a single team would have exceeded it anyway.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

If this is correct, the closest any team got to the $36.5M cap was Omsk at $30.8M, and they spent $7.1M more than the next closest team.

The whole point of a salary cap is to restrict the richest teams from fully leveraging that advantage. If you set the cap $5M or more above what your wealthiest clubs are spending, then you're missing the point. Unless the KHL is expecting club payrolls to skyrocket over the next 4-5 years, this isn't really going to accomplish anything toward generating parity.

A better salary cap would be along the lines of $20-25M USD. Force teams to shed payroll or at least be concerned about rising salaries going forward.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Why would the KHL want parity? Parity would suck.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
A better salary cap would be along the lines of $20-25M USD. Force teams to shed payroll or at least be concerned about rising salaries going forward.
lol, yeah, it will be better for who? nhl? I see what you did there.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:54 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Why would the KHL want parity? Parity would suck.
I guess that depends on who you ask. If you went to Yekaterinburg and said, "hey, guys, we want to see Avtomobilist win a Gagarin Cup at the expense of Ak Bars Kazan," I doubt they would say, "No, no, no, give the Cup to Ak Bars."

My numbers are old (very old, in fact), and for that I apologize, but if every team, as ult said, would have been compliant with this new cap last season, then my point is still valid. Setting a cap above what everyone is willing and/or able to spend anyway defeats the whole purpose of a salary cap. The big clubs will go on more or less unfettered, and the small clubs will still lose their best players to the big clubs. If that's what the league wants, there's nothing wrong with that, but, really, why put a cap on salaries if that's the case?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Why is the solution for smaller market teams always to change the rules to hurt the big market teams, rather than to spend and be more competitive on their own?

Old
05-13-2012, 05:31 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Why is the solution for smaller market teams always to change the rules to hurt the big market teams, rather than to spend and be more competitive on their own?
Because usually the realities of those smaller markets make just conjuring up more money out of thin air an impossibility.

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If this is correct, the closest any team got to the $36.5M cap was Omsk at $30.8M, and they spent $7.1M more than the next closest team.

The whole point of a salary cap is to restrict the richest teams from fully leveraging that advantage. If you set the cap $5M or more above what your wealthiest clubs are spending, then you're missing the point. Unless the KHL is expecting club payrolls to skyrocket over the next 4-5 years, this isn't really going to accomplish anything toward generating parity.

Even in promotion/relegation leagues, parity is a major issue. Surely it will help attract players and/or fans if the KHL became, 4-5 years down the road, a league with an NHL-level of parity.

And will the cap remain frozen for 4-5 years? If so, real parity will likely appear only in the final two years of the freeze.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:23 PM
smitty10

Quote:
I know where you're coming from as we are both Leafs fans and are constantly screwed out of a guaranteed playoff spot due to cap restrictions, but these rules will help teams outside of Russia to be competitive and develop hockey within their countries. Barys, Donetsk, Riga, Minsk, Bratislava and Prague will all benefit from this and it will help to grow the KHL in these countries by offering a competitive product that has a chance at winning every night.

However, in order to create real parity they need to implement a cap floor as well.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:04 AM
zorz

I hope KHL is not heading to become a copy of NHL with it's cap rules and therefore generic clubs

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I hope KHL is not heading to become a copy of NHL with it's cap rules and therefore generic clubs
I kinda agree. There was a thread on a main board which I agreed wholeheartedly, which basically said that there's to much parity in NHL. Some degree of parity is a good thing, but when we see that NHL games basically are only decided by lucky bounces, referee mistakes or shootouts, it kinda takes the fun out of it. It sometimes is more fun to watch powerhouse team dismantle a worse opponent than a closely fought games between two equal teams.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I kinda agree. There was a thread on a main board which I agreed wholeheartedly, which basically said that there's to much parity in NHL. Some degree of parity is a good thing, but when we see that NHL games basically are only decided by lucky bounces, referee mistakes or shootouts, it kinda takes the fun out of it. It sometimes is more fun to watch powerhouse team dismantle a worse opponent than a closely fought games between two equal teams.
I know, I was in that thread too. I don't mind if they like it in NA, but it's not and shouldn't be the way of doing the sports in Europe. The best example are the biggest soccer leagues - Premier League, Bundesliga etc. They are successful without parity and fans of all teams are having fun.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Sometimes its fun to be the underdog, ya know? On the flip side, its good to have high expectations for your team going into the season, knowing you're the boss

Old
05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Because usually the realities of those smaller markets make just conjuring up more money out of thin air an impossibility.
These small market teams shouldn't even have teams, realistically. They don't have the fan support to the point where - like in the NHL - they could be profitable or break even on their own

They exist because owners want to burn cash, not to compete in parity

Old
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

So apparently Russians in the NHL going to the KHL will be exempt from the cap, or some such garbage

http://www.hcdonbass.com/home/news/news/18064?lang=ru

Old
05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Generic clubs? This makes highly variable games...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Generic clubs? This makes highly variable games...
Great for the involved lesser team fans, but more boring to neutrals. Neutrals always want to see loaded teams going head-to-head.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Great for the involved lesser team fans, but more boring to neutrals. Neutrals always want to see loaded teams going head-to-head.
people want to see the best players and not water downed teams? who'da figured

the KHL needs to contract like half of its russian teams