HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Shades of Shea - The Weber Fantasy Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2012, 08:36 PM
  #1
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,900
vCash: 1815
50 Shades of Shea - The Weber Fantasy Thread

Alright, I'm a fairly new HF member, but tell me what you think of this:
Shea Weber couldeasily put us in position for a Stanley Cup next year. Only 3 teams have won a Stanley cup without a Norris winner, and Vancouver has never ever had one in its history.

Here's my idea for Weber, and there's a good chance it will be terrible as I only started following hockey about 2 months ago.

Keith Ballard+1st round pick for Shea Weber at his current contract.

Technically he would be a UFA the year after next, which is why we're not giving up too much, but firstly(at the risk of jinxing it), I think next year will be "our" year, and also, once we have Weber, why wouldn't he resign with us, seeing as he wants to be in/near BC. The only competition we'd have is from Edmonton, but they still have a few years until they're Stanley Cup contenders.

Anyways, I apologize if this is completely stupid, but I don't think Nashville would be willing to trade a signed Weber anyways.

Tell me what you think, and if you have better ideas.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-12-2012, 08:39 PM
  #2
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!
 
Brain Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Where do we get the first overall pick from?

If its just our first (likely 22-24??) its not even close. Like so not even close. Other teams would offer way more for his rights.

Brain Sergeant is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
  #3
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,900
vCash: 1815
Oops- meant first round, sorry, I edited it.

Maybe we could add MaRay?

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
  #4
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,229
vCash: 500
*sigh* if only he played 20 odd more games in 05-06 and he would be a UFA.

timw33 is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
  #5
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 50
Nashville is already losing Suter to FA. If they lose Weber they have no D. They'll keep him all season.

JuniorNelson is online now  
Old
05-12-2012, 08:57 PM
  #6
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,900
vCash: 1815
But then they lose him for nothing next season. Ballard is decent, and underrated because we have so many lefties, but could be a number 4 dman.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-12-2012, 08:58 PM
  #7
Hollywood Burrows
Registered User
 
Hollywood Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: EAST VANCOUVER
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,952
vCash: 500
We should all write letters to Shea. Like handwritten ones. We could mail them to his agent or something, and they would all be paens to Shea. Poems urging him to come home.

When I was a teen in the 90s, my friends and I would call out which player we were when we played street hockey. We would always call out Niedermayer, Sakic or Kariya, BC boys who were playing for other teams that we wanted to come home and sign with the Canucks.

I want to see the Canucks sign top players from British Columbia. We got Dan Hamhuis, now let's get Shea. Come home, Shea.

Hollywood Burrows is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
  #8
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight
 
LightningBurrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
We would have to add a lot. Other teams will offer way more if that's the standard.

I don't think Raymond holds any value to them seeing as they have a lot of forwards. He would most likely play 4th line for them

LightningBurrows is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 09:23 PM
  #9
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,900
vCash: 1815
Would they? If Weber is dead set at somewhere near Kelowna, then most teams will realize they only get one year before he books. We ourselves our simply hoping that after a year playing for us that he'll want to continue to stay close to home. Admittedly I don't like the idea of giving up Edler or even Tanev, but Ballard and a first rounder is a pretty steep price for teams to matxh if they probably only get one year out of him.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-12-2012, 09:43 PM
  #10
arshonagon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
If it is a trade you will need more than that. Thing is about Weber is he has all the power.

He can resign with Nashville for one year to be a UFA and perhaps get traded during the season. In this case he most likely would have some say on the team he would go to as a team would want to A) guarantee they could sign him or B) have him as a rental and maybe hope to resign him. They probably would not get optimum return for him here.

He could resign long term with Nashville.

He could demand Nashville trade his rights this off-season as he will not resign with them. In this case Weber essentially gets to pick the team he will go to as no team who could not guarantee a contract would trade for him.

He could sign an offer sheet with the team of his choice, for one year. This would happen if a trade does not seem plausible from Webers perspective. It also forces Nashvilles hand as it is apparent he will not resign, so they most likely do not match as then they would lose him for nothing.

Weber can really leave this year if he wants, he has the power to force Nashvilles hand. I personally think he is waiting to see what Suter does and that will play into his decision. In the end Weber probably knows what he is doing, and we will have to wait and see.

I personally believe if he plans to leave Nashville, Vancouver is the most likely destination.

arshonagon is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
  #11
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 500
A salary dump and a late 1st round pick for a bona-fide #1 D-man? Ballard has negative value because of his performance vs cap hit. If we don't want him, why would Nashville take him off our hands and use up half their cap savings on him?

They would get more in return if we signed him to an offer sheet. No way Gillis is going after Weber. He's a money-puck GM, he's going to look for a diamond in the rough player and low-ball him, and try to promote from within. I'd bet that Edler's still his guy, despite the Kings series. He's not going to splash his money around and spend 9M+ on a RFA and lose 3 first rounders or equivalent in trade. We can stop dreaming about it.

Hammer79 is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
  #12
arshonagon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
A salary dump and a late 1st round pick for a bona-fide #1 D-man? Ballard has negative value because of his performance vs cap hit. If we don't want him, why would Nashville take him off our hands and use up half their cap savings on him?

They would get more in return if we signed him to an offer sheet. No way Gillis is going after Weber. He's a money-puck GM, he's going to look for a diamond in the rough player and low-ball him, and try to promote from within. I'd bet that Edler's still his guy, despite the Kings series. He's not going to splash his money around and spend 9M+ on a RFA and lose 3 first rounders or equivalent in trade. We can stop dreaming about it.
If Weber is coming here, it is because he wants to come here. If he wants to come here, chances are he will take less money too (ala Hamhuis). He won't get 9+ million because a contending team he most likely wants to go to could not afford that price. He will be well paid, he will be very well paid. Not too mention only one player in the NHL currently has a cap hit over 9 million. His next contract will maybe pay him more then his current one, but I am willing to put money on that it will be less than 9 million.

arshonagon is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:31 PM
  #13
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,170
vCash: 833
I always wonder, does anyone know if Shea was a Canucks fan growing up? Like is everyone just assuming he wants to play for the Canucks because he's from BC? I know a lot of people who grew up in BC who aren't Canucks fans.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:37 PM
  #14
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,900
vCash: 1815
If we give Weber something like an 8 year contract, that might get him to sign for less(maybe 7-7.5 million). And I'm not sure if he was a canucks fan, but he specifically mentioned wanting to play near home.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:39 PM
  #15
arsmaster
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,345
vCash: 500
The fact we have a thread for him is embarrassing.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
  #16
dingdong
Registered User
 
dingdong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Here's my Weber fantasy

dingdong is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
  #17
aandbreatheme
Registered User
 
aandbreatheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,248
vCash: 500
This much obsession with Weber has to be unhealthy.

aandbreatheme is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
  #18
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
If Weber is coming here, it is because he wants to come here. If he wants to come here, chances are he will take less money too (ala Hamhuis). He won't get 9+ million because a contending team he most likely wants to go to could not afford that price. He will be well paid, he will be very well paid. Not too mention only one player in the NHL currently has a cap hit over 9 million. His next contract will maybe pay him more then his current one, but I am willing to put money on that it will be less than 9 million.
The NHLPA puts pressure on the players to take the best offer available, and not to take pay cuts to play for contenders. His qualifier for next year is $7.5M. He could just take that and wait for UFA status, and he can dictate where he goes. Nashville is going to match any offer sheet on him, at least if it's below the 3 first round threshold. No way they let him walk if Suter is gone too.

Hammer79 is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 11:16 PM
  #19
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,889
vCash: 566

Bgav is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 12:12 AM
  #20
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I always wonder, does anyone know if Shea was a Canucks fan growing up? Like is everyone just assuming he wants to play for the Canucks because he's from BC? I know a lot of people who grew up in BC who aren't Canucks fans.
Yeah. I was always under the impression that Paul Kariya hated even the idea of playing here.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 12:33 AM
  #21
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I always wonder, does anyone know if Shea was a Canucks fan growing up? Like is everyone just assuming he wants to play for the Canucks because he's from BC? I know a lot of people who grew up in BC who aren't Canucks fans.
It's more or less the same problem with Leafs fans

omg Tavares is from Ontario Kadri + 3rd for him
omg so is Stamkos Armstrong + 2nd for him

But we have a significant number of O6 fans in the Lower Mainland, and there are places in the Okanagan/Interior/North that are Flames/Oilers heavy.

VinnyC is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 12:54 AM
  #22
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Would they? If Weber is dead set at somewhere near Kelowna, then most teams will realize they only get one year before he books. We ourselves our simply hoping that after a year playing for us that he'll want to continue to stay close to home. Admittedly I don't like the idea of giving up Edler or even Tanev, but Ballard and a first rounder is a pretty steep price for teams to matxh if they probably only get one year out of him.
We can give you a break because you're new and you at least had the decency not to go straight to the trade rumours board

For your argument though, if you're playing the 'he could be gone in a year card' at the very least try and think of what a player of Weber's caliber would net Nashville as a trade deadline rental. Hint: it's gonna be more than Ballard and a 1st.

RandV is online now  
Old
05-13-2012, 01:25 AM
  #23
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,900
vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

For your argument though, if you're playing the 'he could be gone in a year card' at the very least try and think of what a player of Weber's caliber would net Nashville as a trade deadline rental. Hint: it's gonna be more than Ballard and a 1st.
Well what would seem a reasonable deal? No way would Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis be traded for only 1 year. Just how much would another team give for a year of Weber? And what that Vancouver has to offer that would be a fair value?

At the deadline the pressure will be on Nashville to find a place he is willing to stay, or he'll walk without getting anything in return. I just don't see anyone giving up top end talent for a year or less, even as a franchise player.

We could throw in next year's first as well- we will probably get another 20s+ draft pick.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-13-2012, 01:59 AM
  #24
BC Boy
Registered User
 
BC Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Expecting Shea to come here for less than 8 would be an insult. We're not taking about one of the best defense men in the league. We're talking about THE best defense man in the league. And his salary should reflect that fact. Gillis' hometown discount policy is great, but I could really care less about it if 8.5 - 8.75 for 5-7 years is what it takes to have Shea on the team. Team him up with Edler and the Canucks would suddenly have the best d-pairing in the league, barring Pronger makes a miraculous come back and Suter and him become best pals in Philly.

BC Boy is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 02:16 AM
  #25
kongt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
For argument's sake, say he signs with Canucks, do you think MG would give him a front loaded retirement contract after the whole Luongo situation?

kongt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.