HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Shades of Shea - The Weber Fantasy Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 02:33 AM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongt View Post
For argument's sake, say he signs with Canucks, do you think MG would give him a front loaded retirement contract after the whole Luongo situation?
You do whatever it takes to get Weber signed on a long term deal. It's very likely there is a year limit in this next CBA, probaby 6-8 years.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:46 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I will give him whatever contract he wants.

And what are the three teams that have won?

Old
05-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well what would seem a reasonable deal? No way would Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis be traded for only 1 year. Just how much would another team give for a year of Weber? And what that Vancouver has to offer that would be a fair value?

At the deadline the pressure will be on Nashville to find a place he is willing to stay, or he'll walk without getting anything in return. I just don't see anyone giving up top end talent for a year or less, even as a franchise player.

We could throw in next year's first as well- we will probably get another 20s+ draft pick.
Nashville needs to get Weber under contract, especially if Suter walks. I don't see why Nashville moves him at all, unless he makes it clear that he doesn't want to play there. I haven't heard anything about him wanting out, and Nashville has a team that could contend. I doubt that his BC connections will be enough for him to ask for a trade here.

I don't think that even two late first rounders will do it. Nashville doesn't need goaltending, and we don't have any blue chippers in the system to offer. I don't see how we can make a deal here. I also don't see how to fit him in with the salary structure.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
For argument's sake, say he signs with Canucks, do you think MG would give him a front loaded retirement contract after the whole Luongo situation?
Totally different situation, Weber is going to be 28~ish years old when he signs his life time contract. Hypothetically if you give him a 10 year contract you can expect him to keep up his elite level play until he is about 36 or so when defenceman starts to decline. So in that sense, you will be getting about 6 or 7 years of Weber in his prime with relatively little risk.

Luongo was 31 when this 12 year contract started, so he was already nearing the end of his prime as a goalie. Goalies have a shorter shelf life in general compared to skaters unless your name is Dominik Hasek. This is even more the case for Luongo considering 1) how much mileage he already had at that point, and 2) how taxing on the hips the Allaire butterfly style is on a goalie (see Giguere).

The two situations are totally apples and oranges, you'd be getting Weber pretty much through his prime with relatively low risk, as opposed to locking up a butterfly goalie for 12 years when he has already played 10 full seasons, 6 of which at 65 games or more.

and yes i realise who i am speaking to, lol

Old
05-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
I will give him whatever contract he wants.

And what are the three teams that have won?
I had read the article in the sun. I reread it and realized it was only in the past 10 years. The 3 teams were Pens, Hurricanes, and Lightning.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Falconator

A lot of people say he's overrated because of Suter, I disagree, but next year we'll find out as I believe Suter is on the move this summer. Anyways, I've also heard that he doesn't like the Canucks roster so he wouldn't "choose" to play here.

If you're dealing for Weber, you can start any deal with Edler as a minimum. Throwing out the old Ballard and Raymond for a superstar is embarrassing...really!

Old
05-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

No way would anyone trade Edler if there's a good chance Weber'd walk the next year.

And I wouldn't say he's clear cut the best(Karlson, Chara), but I won't say he isn't either.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:12 AM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
The NHLPA puts pressure on the players to take the best offer available, and not to take pay cuts to play for contenders. His qualifier for next year is $7.5M. He could just take that and wait for UFA status, and he can dictate where he goes. Nashville is going to match any offer sheet on him, at least if it's below the 3 first round threshold. No way they let him walk if Suter is gone too.
The NHLPA can push all they want but int he end the player signs the contract he wants to sign, not what the NHLPA wants.

Read my first post, even as an RFA this year he has extreme power to dictate were he goes. If he really wants out, he signs a one year offer sheet. There is no way Nashville matches that as they would then lose him for nothing as it is clear he wants to leave. Having one year left on RFA status is almost like being a UFA, except your team will get some return if you want to leave.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:55 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Alright, I'm a fairly new HF member, but tell me what you think of this:
Shea Weber couldeasily put us in position for a Stanley Cup next year. Only 3 teams have won a Stanley cup without a Norris winner, and Vancouver has never ever had one in its history.

Here's my idea for Weber, and there's a good chance it will be terrible as I only started following hockey about 2 months ago.

Keith Ballard+1st round pick for Shea Weber at his current contract.

Technically he would be a UFA the year after next, which is why we're not giving up too much, but firstly(at the risk of jinxing it), I think next year will be "our" year, and also, once we have Weber, why wouldn't he resign with us, seeing as he wants to be in/near BC. The only competition we'd have is from Edmonton, but they still have a few years until they're Stanley Cup contenders.

Anyways, I apologize if this is completely stupid, but I don't think Nashville would be willing to trade a signed Weber anyways.

Tell me what you think, and if you have better ideas.
Your a newbie so some slack will be cut, but I suggest you use the search feature and do some research.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
The question is will the Aqua man allow it again.

It also depends on whether or not there is a one time buy out clause added to the CBA.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:42 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
Totally different situation, Weber is going to be 28~ish years old when he signs his life time contract. Hypothetically if you give him a 10 year contract you can expect him to keep up his elite level play until he is about 36 or so when defenceman starts to decline. So in that sense, you will be getting about 6 or 7 years of Weber in his prime with relatively little risk.

Luongo was 31 when this 12 year contract started, so he was already nearing the end of his prime as a goalie. Goalies have a shorter shelf life in general compared to skaters unless your name is Dominik Hasek. This is even more the case for Luongo considering 1) how much mileage he already had at that point, and 2) how taxing on the hips the Allaire butterfly style is on a goalie (see Giguere).

The two situations are totally apples and oranges, you'd be getting Weber pretty much through his prime with relatively low risk, as opposed to locking up a butterfly goalie for 12 years when he has already played 10 full seasons, 6 of which at 65 games or more.

and yes i realise who i am speaking to, lol
Well this is just flat wrong, c'mon man.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:57 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Not from the age of 26.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I would happily give Weber an 11 year deal structured something like:

AAV of $7 million.

I think he's that good.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:27 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post

AAV of $7 million.

I think he's that good.
I'd easily do thatóget him signed however the hell you can, deal with consequences later down the road.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:

AAV of $7 million.

I think he's that good.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
05-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Laces Out

I realize the thread is titled 'Fantasy' but still there's some serious wishful thinking in this thread. Nashville is not trading him to Vancouver for less than:

a) Kesler +
b) Edler ++
c) Kesler + Edler

Not to mention the theory that Weber wants to play here is nothing but pure hopeful speculation.

Any multi-year offer sheet they match. 1 year offer sheet is so incredibly risky with the 4 first rounders you'd have to give up with no guarantee of extending him before UFA 2013.

Best to just wait until 2013.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

So we get arguably the best defenceman in the league for a player who couldn't even crack are lineup in the Stanley Cup finals with 2 other top 6 defenceman injured add in the fact he makes 4.2 million he has minimal value and a late 1 st round pick isn't much either. I understand that Webers value isn't as much as it would be if he was signed to a long term contract but the fact he's still young and a norris caliber defenceman they aren't giving up unless we offer something around Kesler or Edler you got to give to get.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Ballard was really good in this year's playoffs, and he could be on the top 4 for a team without as many lefties as us.

Edler or Kesler are about the same age as Weber, and are both top-end talent.

For only one guaranteed year it wouldn't happen, unless Weber agrees beforehand to resign on condition he's traded.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:

AAV of $7 million.

I think he's that good.
And it would be one of those handicap deals that everyone *****es about 4 years from now when he's not as good as he once was. Or he's not scoring as many goals. Or we haven't won a Stanley Cup yet and he was the one piece we were missing at the time...

Old
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
gocanucks676

A Shea Weber fantasy thread eh?

"They'll think I got off easy." Shea ran his fingers lightly over the back of my hand. "And I did." He stroked up my bare forearm, igniting sparks. His tone altered, took on that husky, seductive note. "It's not exactly a hardship, being with you, Vancouver." The heat in his dark eyes matched up with his voice, like sinfully rich and tempting dark chocolate.

As I'd figured, he was a player. All the same, his touch, his voice, those sexy eyes were so tempting that I said, "You either, Shea Weber," before I realized what I was doing.....

Old
05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanucks676 View Post

"They'll think I got off easy." Shea ran his fingers lightly over the back of my hand. "And I did." He stroked up my bare forearm, igniting sparks. His tone altered, took on that husky, seductive note. "It's not exactly a hardship, being with you, Vancouver." The heat in his dark eyes matched up with his voice, like sinfully rich and tempting dark chocolate.

As I'd figured, he was a player. All the same, his touch, his voice, those sexy eyes were so tempting that I said, "You either, Shea Weber," before I realized what I was doing.....

Dude, must keep it PG!

Old
05-13-2012, 09:57 PM
luongo321

Quote:

This is what happens when we lose in the first round.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Proto

Quote:

50 Shades of Shea?

50 Sh(e)ades of Grey?

Old
05-13-2012, 11:11 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Well what would seem a reasonable deal? No way would Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis be traded for only 1 year. Just how much would another team give for a year of Weber? And what that Vancouver has to offer that would be a fair value?

At the deadline the pressure will be on Nashville to find a place he is willing to stay, or he'll walk without getting anything in return. I just don't see anyone giving up top end talent for a year or less, even as a franchise player.

We could throw in next year's first as well- we will probably get another 20s+ draft pick.
You could look at some other big trade deadline deals.

Peter Forsberg:007-Feb-15 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers to Nashville Predators for Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent, round 1 pick in the 2007 draft (Jonathon Blum) and round 3 pick in the 2007 draft (Philip DeSimone

Ryan Smyth: 2007-Feb-27 Traded from Edmonton Oilers to New York Islanders for Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra and round 1 pick in the 2007 draft (Alex Plante)

Marian Hossa: 2008-Feb-26 Traded from Atlanta Thrashers with Pascal Dupuis to Pittsburgh Penguins for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and round 1 pick in the 2008 draft (Daultan Leveille)

Brad Richards: 2008-Feb-26 Traded from Tampa Bay Lightning with Johan Holmqvist to Dallas Stars for Jeff Halpern, Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen and round 4 pick in the 2009 draft

Also keep in mind the value at the time, a guy like Colby Armstrong for example was to Pittsburgh what Hansen is to us now, and while there are a lot of busts in there many of these guys were recent first round picks, so basically a lot of Jordan Schroeders.

For Vancouver to have gotten in on many of those we probably would have need to trade Hansen, Schroeder, and our 1st. But that's for those players (and Forsberg who was old), Shea Weber would be a step above them, plus those were all lottery ticket teams, not a serious playoff contender like Nashville.

Or perhaps a better comparison taking out the trade deadline angle and looking at a 'cut our losses' scenario would be the Pronger to Edmonton trade. With one year before UFA status, Anaheim sent Pronger to Edmonton for Eric Brewer and prospects Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch. Brewer was a 24 year old top pairing dman at the time... maybe not quite highly as regarded as Edler is but ahead of Bieksa, and the prospects were recent 1st and 2nd round draft picks. So if you want to apply this trade as a measuring stick Vancouver would probably need to trade Bieksa, Schroeder, and Connaughton.

Long story short, regardless of what Nashville wants to do (99% chance they want to try and resign Weber), other historical trades show suggesting Ballard and a 1st could land Weber is insulting to Nashville.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

I could see a trade like that happening, I suppose I did make the idea fairly low. But trading both Kesler and Edler would be ridiculous if Weber's not signed.

Closed Thread