HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Shades of Shea - The Weber Fantasy Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
  #51
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
I've predicted Weber was coming here for a couple of years now. I'd like to see it happen this year, but next year as a UFA is good too.

Uhmkay is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
  #52
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,713
vCash: 500
If we traded Luongo to the Leafs for Luke Schenn and 5th overall(Burke may like Schenn, but he likes his job more, and Luongo will get him to the playoffs), could we trade Schenn, Ballard, and 24th overall for Weber's rights?
(Slightly OT, and use 5th overall for Forsberg- we don't have any real stars in our system, and for some reason Swedes do really well.)

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  #53
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
1-year offer sheet is the way to go, assuming Gillis can establish Shea's desire to sign here long term. If not, ie, there are multiple places he'd just as soon go, then agreed it becomes much more of a longshot, and the Preds can pit bidders off one another (assuming he doesn't want to re-sign there) for a King's ranson.

But if he does want to be here, 1 year offersheet at $6.268M (comp = 1st, 2nd, 3rd), then asap extend him and make him our $100M man, like so:

PHP Code:
Age    Year      NHL Sal         SBonus        Cap Hit
28    2013
-14    $12,000,000     $8,000,000      $6,727,273 
29    2014
-15    $12,000,000     $8,000,000      $6,727,273 
30    2015
-16    $10,000,000     $5,000,000      $6,727,273 
31    2016
-17    $8,000,000      $2,000,000      $6,727,273 
32    2017
-18    $8,000,000      $2,000,000      $6,727,273 
33    2018
-19    $8,000,000                      $6,727,273 
34    2019
-20    $6,000,000                      $6,727,273 
35    2020
-21    $4,000,000                      $6,727,273 
36    2021
-22    $4,000,000                      $6,727,273 
37    2022
-23    $1,000,000                      $6,727,273 
38    2023
-24    $1,000,000                      $6,727,273 
39    2024
-25    $1,000,000                      $6,727,273 
I used a mix of Richards' and Ehrhoff's deals ... will pay $75M is sal and $25M in signing bonuses, with $55M in the first 3 years of the deal, and in the end a cap hit not dissimilar to the Sedins'.

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
  #54
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If we traded Luongo to the Leafs for Luke Schenn and 5th overall(Burke may like Schenn, but he likes his job more, and Luongo will get him to the playoffs), could we trade Schenn, Ballard, and 24th overall for Weber's rights?
(Slightly OT, and use 5th overall for Forsberg- we don't have any real stars in our system, and for some reason Swedes do really well.)
No.

If the Canucks want Weber they'd need to get a Top 10 pick from somewhere, then trade something like Tanev, another high draft pick (our 1st), probably a forward off the roster (Hansen?), and another couple prospects. Regardless of his contract situation, Weber will cost a fortune in assets to acquire -- if he's even available.

Proto is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  #55
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/
 
CRDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
1-year offer sheet is the way to go, assuming Gillis can establish Shea's desire to sign here long term. If not, ie, there are multiple places he'd just as soon go, then agreed it becomes much more of a longshot, and the Preds can pit bidders off one another (assuming he doesn't want to re-sign there) for a King's ranson.

But if he does want to be here, 1 year offersheet at $6.268M (comp = 1st, 2nd, 3rd), then asap extend him and make him our $100M man, like so:

PHP Code:
Age    Year      NHL Sal         SBonus        Cap Hit
28    2013
-14    $12,000,000     $8,000,000      $6,727,273 
29    2014
-15    $12,000,000     $8,000,000      $6,727,273 
30    2015
-16    $10,000,000     $5,000,000      $6,727,273 
31    2016
-17    $8,000,000      $2,000,000      $6,727,273 
32    2017
-18    $8,000,000      $2,000,000      $6,727,273 
33    2018
-19    $8,000,000                      $6,727,273 
34    2019
-20    $6,000,000                      $6,727,273 
35    2020
-21    $4,000,000                      $6,727,273 
36    2021
-22    $4,000,000                      $6,727,273 
37    2022
-23    $1,000,000                      $6,727,273 
38    2023
-24    $1,000,000                      $6,727,273 
39    2024
-25    $1,000,000                      $6,727,273 
I used a mix of Richards' and Ehrhoff's deals ... will pay $75M is sal and $25M in signing bonuses, with $55M in the first 3 years of the deal, and in the end a cap hit not dissimilar to the Sedins'.
How did you calculate that cap hit?
Isn't signing bonus supposedly included in the cap hit?


Last edited by CRDragon: 05-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.
CRDragon is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
  #56
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
How did you calculate that cap hit?
Isn't signing bonus supposedly included in the cap hit?
not according to capgeek's layout of the Ehrhoff & Richards contracts


http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=121

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
  #57
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/
 
CRDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
not according to capgeek's layout of the Ehrhoff & Richards contracts


http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=121
Also, how will it be possible for Nashville to not match a 6.28M offersheet (If Weber somehow even accepts it in the first place) considering he was paid 7.5million this year?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=

Quote:
CLUB PAYROLLS

What will be the range of Club payrolls?

The payroll range in Year One (2005-06) of the CBA will be $21.5 million (U.S.) at the lower limit and $39 million (U.S.) at the upper limit. A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.

CRDragon is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
  #58
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
not according to capgeek's layout of the Ehrhoff & Richards contracts


http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=121
If that sort of loophole existed it would be getting severely exploited. What they're showing as Ehrhoff's salary is his annual salary + up front signing bonus. The net sum of Ehrhoff's weekly paycheques last season would have added up to $2m, plus he got $8m up front. His annual season pay would actually be: 2m/3m/4m/4m/4m/4m/3m/1m/1m/1m/.

RandV is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:14 PM
  #59
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
What makes people think Weber even wants to play here?

Remember everyone thought we were getting Forsberg?

Remember everyone thought we were getting Gaborik?

Remember everyone thought we were getting Niedermayer? (well this was true, damn you nonis )

I can go on and on....

Seriously, its best to keep your expectations low so you'd get a nice surprise as opposed to the other way around.

Hank4Hart is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
  #60
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
If that sort of loophole existed it would be getting severely exploited. What they're showing as Ehrhoff's salary is his annual salary + up front signing bonus. The net sum of Ehrhoff's weekly paycheques last season would have added up to $2m, plus he got $8m up front. His annual season pay would actually be: 2m/3m/4m/4m/4m/4m/3m/1m/1m/1m/.
Ah, I see
Ok, was reading that wrong, thanks
would have to modify that then, bigtime

so the bonus is just how much of hte dough he gets upfront

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
  #61
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
Also, how will it be possible for Nashville to not match a 6.28M offersheet (If Weber somehow even accepts it in the first place) considering he was paid 7.5million this year?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=
its all predicated on the condition (hope) that he wants to come here, and, like Hamhuis, plans to at UFA.

If he really did, then that would limit the Preds' ability to trade him, as any inquiring team would know he's only good for a year.

Similarly, it doesnt really matter from Nashville's perspective if it's $6.3 or $7.5 or $4.4 .... if they match an offer then they cannot trade him for a year and will lose him for nothing.

They can take the picks or negotiate a trade with us.

But, again, it's a stretch -- for all we know he may have decided he wants to stay in Nashville, or maybe he is up for another team...

He did say he wanted to play for a contender though, and only signed for one year last year. Now Suter may walk and they only have a dozen guys signed -- they are arguably farther away from cup contention now than then...

But since this is a fantasy thread, I choose to believe that he wants to join his buddy Hamhuis and, having won the biggest prize in his career to date for his country in our rink, wants to come help his hometown team win the other big prize here too.

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 06:24 PM
  #62
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions
 
NucksOnly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Gary Mason is going on 1040 to talk about Shea Weber in relation how the our team might make a play for him. Mason will be on around 430ish, if anyone is interested.

NucksOnly is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 06:36 PM
  #63
kushh
Registered User
 
kushh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Schneider has optimal value as a trade chip but there's no way the Canucks trade Schneider to a hated rival.

If Nashville were to trade him though, they could take the best offer available wether it came from Edmonton, Chicago, San Jose, Columbus, ect.

Cory Schneider, Alex Edler, #26 overall
for
Shea Weber

Then Nashville sells Schneider to the higgest bidder, maybe adding in a Blum, Ellis, Wilson, Smith, Lindback, Radulov, Kostitsyn type..
Worst case scenario, they get Schenn and a 2nd or Connolly and a 2nd for just Schneider.


Edler, Schenn, #26, #35
for
Weber

kushh is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
  #64
Corb
Registered User
 
Corb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
Sounds like Mason's been reading hockey blogs.

Corb is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
  #65
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions
 
NucksOnly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corb View Post
Sounds like Mason's been reading hockey blogs.
Yup, I'll put up a quick Canuck related summary of the interview.

- The organization feels the need a number 1 bonafide Norris caliber dman
- The team feels that their defense was exposed in the playoffs and in the regular season
- Will go hard after Weber, especially if Detroit tries to land Parise and Suter with 20+ mil in capspace.
- Mason feels that there is something to that rumor that he wants to play closer to home. He's heard those same rumors ie. "Family, acquaintances, friends say Shea want to play closer to home"
- Mason thinks Aquaman will bring up the style of play(Det/Van vs Phx/StL) in a owners meeting. Going to try to figure which direction the NHL is going to in the future.


Last edited by NucksOnly: 05-14-2012 at 06:57 PM.
NucksOnly is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
  #66
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushh View Post
Schneider has optimal value as a trade chip but there's no way the Canucks trade Schneider to a hated rival.

If Nashville were to trade him though, they could take the best offer available wether it came from Edmonton, Chicago, San Jose, Columbus, ect.

Cory Schneider, Alex Edler, #26 overall
for
Shea Weber

Then Nashville sells Schneider to the higgest bidder, maybe adding in a Blum, Ellis, Wilson, Smith, Lindback, Radulov, Kostitsyn type..
Worst case scenario, they get Schenn and a 2nd or Connolly and a 2nd for just Schneider.


Edler, Schenn, #26, #35
for
Weber
Sorry but that's a terrible proposal.

LiquidSnake is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 07:03 PM
  #67
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushh View Post
Schneider has optimal value as a trade chip but there's no way the Canucks trade Schneider to a hated rival.

If Nashville were to trade him though, they could take the best offer available wether it came from Edmonton, Chicago, San Jose, Columbus, ect.

Cory Schneider, Alex Edler, #26 overall
for
Shea Weber

Then Nashville sells Schneider to the higgest bidder, maybe adding in a Blum, Ellis, Wilson, Smith, Lindback, Radulov, Kostitsyn type..
Worst case scenario, they get Schenn and a 2nd or Connolly and a 2nd for just Schneider.


Edler, Schenn, #26, #35
for
Weber
They aren't going to take Schneider just to help us out. If they have Schneider and Rinne, then they are in a position of weakness because other teams know that one has to go. Also, with all these goaltenders coming on the market, Luongo or Schneider, Vokoun is UFA, Tim "Tea Party" Thomas for example, there is going to be more sellers than buyers. Luongo might garner some interest due to his cap circumventing contract and elite status, Schneider is over-valued by the fans though. To other teams, he's unproven.

I still don't see how Nashville and Vancouver become trade partners over Weber.

Hammer79 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  #68
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
They aren't going to take Schneider just to help us out. If they have Schneider and Rinne, then they are in a position of weakness because other teams know that one has to go. Also, with all these goaltenders coming on the market, Luongo or Schneider, Vokoun is UFA, Tim "Tea Party" Thomas for example, there is going to be more sellers than buyers. Luongo might garner some interest due to his cap circumventing contract and elite status, Schneider is over-valued by the fans though. To other teams, he's unproven.

I still don't see how Nashville and Vancouver become trade partners over Weber.
the main reason they wouldnt take Schneider (aside from the fact that they dont need him) is that he is offer-sheet vulnerable as of Jul 1st. Why assume that risk?

Some kind of 3-way might work though

to Nash: Edler, Schenn, Van 1st, Phi 1st
to Philly: Schneider, Van 3rd
to Van: Weber

but i would hope selfishly that we can get Weber for cheaper, either thru offersheet or waiting a year

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
  #69
Basso
Registered User
 
Basso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I've predicted Weber was coming here for a couple of years now. I'd like to see it happen this year, but next year as a UFA is good too.
I'd love to get him as UFA too, but if they lose Suter this year via UFA and Weber signs one year deal. Preds will sell him to the highest bidder near the deadline.

Basso is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 03:58 PM
  #70
DoubleTrouble
Registered User
 
DoubleTrouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fraser Valley
Country: Canada
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
The Weber dream will not happen with a trade, only way we get him is as a UFA in 2013.

DoubleTrouble is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 02:17 AM
  #71
Karter
Registered User
 
Karter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
We should all write letters to Shea. Like handwritten ones. We could mail them to his agent or something, and they would all be paens to Shea. Poems urging him to come home.

When I was a teen in the 90s, my friends and I would call out which player we were when we played street hockey. We would always call out Niedermayer, Sakic or Kariya, BC boys who were playing for other teams that we wanted to come home and sign with the Canucks.

I want to see the Canucks sign top players from British Columbia. We got Dan Hamhuis, now let's get Shea. Come home, Shea.
Dear Shea, Nashville is ***. Already mailed, bro.


Last edited by Royal Canuck: 05-17-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Karter is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
  #72
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,181
vCash: 500
According to Weber's interview with TEAM 1040, he didn't grow up a Canucks fan!

Taelin is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:02 AM
  #73
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!
 
Trends Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
According to Weber's interview with TEAM 1040, he didn't grow up a Canucks fan!
Flames fan?

Trends Analyst is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
  #74
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light Mosquito View Post
Flames fan?
Habs fan. His father and brother were HUGE Canucks fans though, so maybe Shea can spend the entire summer bonding with them?

Taelin is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
  #75
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
According to Weber's interview with TEAM 1040, he didn't grow up a Canucks fan!
Well there goes the dream...

KISSland is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.