HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

whats your guys opinion of the Capitals?

Old
05-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
whats your guys opinion of the Capitals?

Before the season a lot of people had them hyped up as a cup contender. This was their year to take the next step. Just like every other year.

But they had a horrific regular season by their standards. They did, however, battle a few key injuries.

Then the playoffs come around, and they beat the defending cup champs in 7, but there is that whole 'cup hangover' myth which seems to hold some truth. They then take The Rangers to 7 games. Still, for the expectations placed on them before this season, they didn't get as far as they should have.

Ovechkin doesn't look like he'll be gaining that dominant form anytime soon. Which is unfortunate, but he's still a very dangerous player. I don't think he's captain worthy, though. I would've given the C to Backstrom.

I guess I'm wondering if its time for more retooling? The only reason the caps made it as far as they did was by playing a very defensive system and limiting OVs ice time (and holtby's emergence, but we all know how unreliable a young goalie can be in his 2nd full season). I wonder if they should continue rebuilding to build a team that is designed to play that type of hockey. Of course you keep
ovechkin, but semin can go.

I dunno, I'd like to hear from some caps fans. I know they wanted a major rebuild after the regular season, but did the playoffs change their minds? Their team still hasn't made it out of the second round, and they're one of the most talented teams in the east.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Eisen

vCash: 500
Did anyone have the Caps as cup favorites?

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:34 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
The only reason the caps made it as far as they did was by playing a very defensive system and limiting OVs ice time. I wonder if they should continue rebuilding to build a team that is designed to play that type of hockey. Of course you keep
ovechkin, but semin can go.
I disagree with this conventional wisdom. The only reason that the Caps did anything this postseason is because Braden Holtby went all Jeremy Lin on us and carried his team.

The Caps core is Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Wideman. Trying to force those guys to play a strictly defensive system is a huge waste of their talent.

Either the Caps need to find a coach who can take advantage of his best players' skills, or they need to completely blow things up and start again. I suggest the first option.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:34 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Maybe not favorites but contenders especially after getting Vokoun at such a cute rate salary.

They will have to retool and decide if Holtby is ready and the "real thing" and go with the 2 young guys in nets.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I disagree with this conventional wisdom. The only reason that the Caps did anything this postseason is because Braden Holtby went all Jeremy Lin on us and carried his team.

The Caps core is Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Wideman. Trying to force those guys to play a strictly defensive system is a huge waste of their talent.

Either the Caps need to find a coach who can take advantage of his best players' skills, or they need to completely blow things up and start again. I suggest the first option.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Holtby since he played really good, but their defense was their biggest strenght.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:38 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'm not trying to take anything away from Holtby since he played really good, but their defense was their biggest strenght.
I found their run very similar to the Habs run a couple of years back with Halak and a defense that played very well.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Caseman

Quote:
Yes? You're telling me you had Vokoun floundering this season?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Robert Theodorson

What do I think?

A lot of things...

What do I know?

Leonsis will once again bow to his master George McPhee, in what is one of the weirdest relationships in pro sports.

McPhee will retain his job and it will be same ol' same ol' in Washington.

An interesting regular season with another 1st or 2nd round playoff exit.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
this guy certainly did

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1012125

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:14 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

They have a HUGE opportunity this summer to bring in a coach who can get the most out of their group.

Still one of the most talented teams in the league. Their window is open. They need to pick the right guy to get them through it.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
They have a HUGE opportunity this summer to bring in a coach who can get the most out of their group.

Still one of the most talented teams in the league. Their window is open. They need to pick the right guy to get them through it.
A true 2nd line center and a #1 Defensemen (Mike Green is not a #1) would help a lot too.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
The Caps core is Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Wideman.
ummmmmmmm what?

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:

Yea...I completely forgot about him. I edited my post a minute later. Haha

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:45 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Thinkin' they'll lose Semin at least.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Ricky Bobby

This season could actually end up being a lot of progress for them.

The Capitals are trying to change their organizational culture after years of being a fire wagon squad and there has been a lot of tough adjusting pains but the success that they had going 7 games in the 2nd round could go along way if Ovi buys in next season. Having Semin gone should help the whole organization.

Part of what has made teams like the Devils and Red Wings good for so many years is that they identified the type of style and organizational culture that they wanted and built the personnel to fit that model. Jersey went through some major growing pains last season when they tried to shift their style last season but this season they adjusted.

Detroit for years has been heralded as the model franchise for a reason. Ken Holland would never spend money on D who weren't mobile well other organizations would and somehow found aging vets like Bertuzzi and Larry Murphy who looked ready for retirement and fit them into the system because they could still play well in the Detroit puck possession style.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:52 AM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:

does doing well in the regular season and being eliminated early count?

The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Yikes. I sure hope GMGM doesn't consider Wideman part of the core. He's a UFA, and someone is going to overpay for him. Hopefully it won't be the caps. His D was pretty terrible in the second half of the season and the playoffs.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Levitate

Strip Ovechkin of the captaincy. I don't think he's a good captain at all.

Find a better second line center. Either Johansson needs to bulk up a lot (I kind of have my doubts that he will...he's not listed as super light to begin with right now, and being easily knocked off the puck is sometimes more a style of play difference than size/strength difference) and get better at decision making, or they really need someone else in there.

Dump Wideman.

Find a coach that can get the most out of their offensive players while maintaining good defense. I think it can be done, the Caps should have the talent to do it, but it requires the right coach.

Hope that Holtby doesn't have a Varlamov/Neuvirth type season after this run. Both guys also looked great for Washington in the playoffs and then followed that up with years in which they struggled for various reasons.

Caps have some good top end talent, good bottom six forward depth, and some good D talent. Need some extra scoring depth and a coach that can get the most out of them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:12 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

The people who say Holtby was a huge factor weren't watching anything except the box scores. He would constantly give up juicy rebounds that were cleared by the fact that they played a system that essentially never had a player past the circles in their own zone and when the opponents had the puck everybody had to be back in their own zone(see: zero forecheck). He was rarely tested as #HunterHockey said "go ahead and tee off perimeter shots all game, we don't care" leading to inflated save%. Holtby let in a number of softies as well. He was "good" yes, but it wasn't Conn Smythe worthy(had they made the finals...bahahahahaha) by any sense of the imagination.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Sureves

Quote:
At the beginning of the year? I did and it wasn't close.

Ovechkin (coming off an 88 point "off-year" over an 82 game pace)
Backstrom
Semin
Green (seemingly healthy)
Carlson
Alzner
Johansson (who I expected a reasonably big year from)
Laich
Brouwer
Wideman

And they brought in an elite goaltender who was at the time easily a top10 goalie in the NHL in Vokoun?

Who didn't think they were a top contender?

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:25 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
The people who say Holtby was a huge factor weren't watching anything except the box scores. He would constantly give up juicy rebounds that were cleared by the fact that they played a system that essentially never had a player past the circles in their own zone and when the opponents had the puck everybody had to be back in their own zone(see: zero forecheck). He was rarely tested as #HunterHockey said "go ahead and tee off perimeter shots all game, we don't care" leading to inflated save%. Holtby let in a number of softies as well. He was "good" yes, but it wasn't Conn Smythe worthy(had they made the finals...bahahahahaha) by any sense of the imagination.
Yeah, I have no ill will toward Holtby but I have a feeling next year will not go well for him. He was hot, but also insulated from a lot of mistakes.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
TheNobody

I think the Caps are a good organization because they put full effort into trying to win.... but with that said, they need to take a serious look at some of their guys, and possibly consider rebuilding around 2 of their stars (I'd say Backstrom and Ovy)

TheNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
crazycanuck

The Capitals have tried to change their style of play too much over the past few years without changing enough of the personel.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:

Did you just say Wideman was apart of the Caps core?

Alzner, Carlson and Orlov would all be considered core before Wideman.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
shaner89

Ovy semin and Backstrom are way overrated.

holtby is the number 1 and is incredible.

Decent depth

Mediocre defense

Good systems

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote