HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CBC Hates Russians

Old
05-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgame View Post
On another note : what's wrong with Canadians or any other country for that matter, liking their nationals more ?
Do you hate everyone except your loved ones?

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:46 AM
feds91

I 100% agreed with tonight's coach's corner!!! don cherry was right being very critcal towards ovi, semin as well as giving h.o.f. like status to mike zigomanis

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:06 AM
TimeParadox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Do you hate everyone except your loved ones?
Who mentioned hate ? I certainly did not.
I, sure care more about my own. Don't you ?
Kind of an inane question, but it is what it is.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
I 100% agreed with tonight's coach's corner!!! don cherry was right being very critcal towards ovi, semin as well as giving h.o.f. like status to mike zigomanis
Cherry wasn't even that critical towards Ovie and Semin, merely pointing out the same kind of mistakes they were doing in the fist period. Besides, he's said several times that he loves Ovie.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:30 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Before these playoffs one could perhaps look beyond Ovechkin's mercurial attitude towards defense, extended shifts, and poor line changes by pointing to his strong point per game average (1.35). This season he improved his defense game to that of an average player and his PPG plummets (0.64). At this point in his career Ovechkin has yet to put together a complete playoff performance. He is by no means a playoff disappointment on the level of Semin and Green; however, it is fair for one to question why a multiple time league regular season MVP has yet to lead an annual pre-season Stanley Cup favorite beyond the second round.
Good point.

I think we have seen the real Ovechkin this playoffs. A risk/reward type player whose time has to be managed according to whether the team needs to score or protect a lead. His offense is not enough to cover the defensive liability factor.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Good point.

I think we have seen the real Ovechkin this playoffs. A risk/reward type player whose time has to be managed according to whether the team needs to score or protect a lead. His offense is not enough to cover the defensive liability factor.
Or you could point out that taking away Ovechkin's strength by playing a defensive style hurt him a lot and didn't help the team be any better than before either.

It's kind of funny to say that this is the "real" Ovechkin, when he had four very good playoffs compared to one bad one, but I guess it's easier to just dump on players instead of looking at what they have actually accomplished. Ovechkin hasn't been the same lately, but it doesn't make any sense to put down his performances just because of one bad run in an off-year.

There have been plenty of all offense hardly any defense players who performed well in the playoffs and had success with their teams. To assume that such a player always needs to have his icetime managed is absurd. There is more to team-success than one player.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Jacob

The "not backchecking" example is something I see a lot in the media and it infuriates me. Highlight a particular player that isn't sprinting back to the D zone and assume they're lazy or don't care. Milbury and McGuire are the worst offenders of this.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Beerfish

I'm sure that guys like Stevie Yzerman, Ray Bourque and Cam Neely got dumped on and criticized for their horrible years and not stepping up before they finally won a cup. (Not sure if Neely ever won one.) Right?

Blasting Semin for failing in playoffs? Yes that stand sup but not Ovechkin.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:53 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Or you could point out that taking away Ovechkin's strength by playing a defensive style hurt him a lot and didn't help the team be any better than before either.

It's kind of funny to say that this is the "real" Ovechkin, when he had four very good playoffs compared to one bad one, but I guess it's easier to just dump on players instead of looking at what they have actually accomplished. Ovechkin hasn't been the same lately, but it doesn't make any sense to put down his performances just because of one bad run in an off-year.

There have been plenty of all offense hardly any defense players who performed well in the playoffs and had success with their teams. To assume that such a player always needs to have his icetime managed is absurd. There is more to team-success than one player.
I wasn't criticizing his play. I thought his offensive output was OK. Although his PPG was down, he still led his team in scoring.

I was merely pointing out that if he's not producing offensively at the pace he was before his bad defensive skills become more prevalent. Hunter recognized this and managed his time accordingly.

That being said, he had plenty of opportunities to produce more offense than he did. He simply is not the offensive player he was 3 years ago.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I'm sure that guys like Stevie Yzerman, Ray Bourque and Cam Neely got dumped on and criticized for their horrible years and not stepping up before they finally won a cup. (Not sure if Neely ever won one.) Right?

actually yes.

I agree with someone who said Canadian broadcasters watches other nations player with more critical perspective. Because it is not the hockey they think should be played.

As a Red Wings fan, this is no surprise that their is a canadian/north american bias in CBC. There was a time I felt so disgusting about it, but now, I dont even care what those clowns say.

However, compare to what other nations' broadcasters say, (except US) I say CBC is quite alright.

Yemack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
They also piled on Malkin while silently ignoring the fact that Crosby was basically invisible for most of the Flyer series.
Really?

I guess we watched different coverage. It seemed to me that they were highly critical of Crosby this post season, especially after game two and three in that series.

Amazing..invisible yet still manages 8 points in a series. What is he were visible, how many would he get???

CBC doesn't hate anyone. I guess if people are looking to deflect attention away from the games and the series their team just lost, this is one method.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Mehar

If a guy like Semin was Canadian, I would argue that he would be ripped even more than he was. When Ottawa was choking in the playoffs for many years, Heatley and Spezza got ripped to shreads by the media and the CBC. It has nothing to do with nationality. Also, on a side note, Toronto is home to a pretty large number of Russians, especially in the area I live, and the Russian women here are absolutely gorgeous.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
If a guy like Semin was Canadian, I would argue that he would be ripped even more than he was. When Ottawa was choking in the playoffs for many years, Heatley and Spezza got ripped to shreads by the media and the CBC. It has nothing to do with nationality. Also, on a side note, Toronto is home to a pretty large number of Russians, especially in the area I live, and the Russian women here are absolutely gorgeous.
Absolutely true.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:42 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Absolutely true.
absolutely false

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:48 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
absolutely false
Oh? Crosby was ripped by PJ Stock after games two and three vs the Flyers. The TSN panel (especially Aaron Ward) also went after him for "not showing leadership". And Crosby ended that series with eight points. Next to Semin, he was heroic.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
They also piled on Malkin while silently ignoring the fact that Crosby was basically invisible for most of the Flyer series.
This is so untrue. All media was highly critical on Crosby. And of course Semin/Ovechkin deserve this. They werent very good, so they dont deserve good feedback. But oh, no way its because of their play by any means "its because they are Russians" Im European myself and i have never noticed anything like this.Useless crying.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmidon View Post
Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we?

Edit: I don't hear the CBC commentators too much, but whenever I watched them this playoffs I haven't really notices a notable anti-Russian bias. Could just be too small a sample size though.
But they did take the Eastern Conference Champs to 7 games. Unless the NHL and TSN standings are wrong and teams have been mismatched through the playoffs...

05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Ozz

Even if they did, so what? They can show bias towards or against whomever they wish. If you don't like it, start your own TV network.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:38 PM
jokerboysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Neely never won a cup...
He also didn't have any horrible years either.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:53 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
Who can argue with that?

Ovie and Semin can only dream of one being a player like Zigomanis.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Haha. Ovy does deserve every ounce of criticism though. This is one dreadful performance. Starting to believe Hunter as head coach and Ovy can't coexist.
He was still quite obviously their best skater.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:43 PM
tmunnuch

That's alright. Give it a couple more years of scoreless shoving matches and no one but Canadians are gonna watch and play this crap anyways.

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:52 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
I wouldn't listen to anything those 2 CBC clowns have to say about anyone. The only players they like have the last name of Sedin and/or wear jerseys with an elongated "C" made of some sort of fish. I mute them when they're on and consider it a waste of the Canadian taxpayers' and sponsors' money which goes towards paying them.
You are right on about everything because listening to Hughson & Simpson is like getting your teeth pulled out one by one. Their love for the Canucks is so obvious that they are biased towards all other teams, especially the Leafs. Plus let's not forget the 3rd clown in Glenn Healy who is equally as bad.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
blaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
You are right on about everything because listening to Hughson & Simpson is like getting your teeth pulled out one by one. Their love for the Canucks is so obvious that they are biased towards all other teams, especially the Leafs. Plus let's not forget the 3rd clown in Glenn Healy who is equally as bad.
You know...the thread is titled "CBC hates Russians"

It is not titled "CBC doesn't love Toronto enough" You guys have TSN for that.

blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I have no problem with criticizing players when they deserve to be criticized.

But CBC called Ovechkin out on virtually every shift. It was disgusting.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote