HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Capitals Any Better Off Then Where They Were Two Years Ago?

Old
05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

vCash: 50
I wasn't on HF back then, but is this new Holtby hype similar to the hype Varly was getting when he first broke through for the Caps in the playoffs and played tremendous?

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:47 PM
None Four One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
One more stupid GMGM decision is making Ovi a C. He has made a blind copy of a Shero move. They made their icon a C? No problem, we'll do the same! But English is not an Ovi's mother tongue. I doubt he can find necessary words to shake and encourage the team in a culmination moment. Of course Ovi speaks English but his vocabulary is rather poor and basically hockey-related.
The worst part of that is, what happens now if you actually take the C off Ovi?

I'm not a Crosby fan, but he actually plays a complete game and works hard to improve himself and leads by example to some extent.

None Four One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:48 PM
None Four One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
I wasn't on HF back then, but is this new Holtby hype similar to the hype Varly was getting when he first broke through for the Caps in the playoffs and played tremendous?
Pretty much the same situation.

Don't trade a lottery pick for him in two years if he doesn't keep it up

None Four One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:50 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Three None View Post
Pretty much the same situation.

Don't trade a lottery pick for him in two years if he doesn't keep it up
Giving up Yakupov once was enough for me, I never want to go through the pain and agony again.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:07 PM
ozzie

Having watched teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Pittsburgh win multiple cups, I still believe an offensive minded team can still win it all.

Both the Oilers and Penguins as offensively gifted as they were both made small adjustments to their defensive games.

Having a good goalie was important to both those teams. But the teams made the smallest commitment to defense come playoff times. They asked their forwards to be a little more responsible with the back check.

Point being the did not sacrifice their offensive game they used that strength with a little more defensive awareness.

I believe the Capitals were so close to changing the land scape of the NHL by being an offensive power house. The knee jerk re-action to running into Halak was unfortunate. That happens in sports, Halak got so hot he took out the Penguins aswell.

They need to play to their strengths of offensive hockey. But they mmade changes to go to a defensive system and have gone away from building the team around Ovechkin.

How many coaches can Ovechkin kill? Neuter Ovechkin to a 30 goal scorer and a grinder? such a waste.

They aren't better then they were 2 years ago. Unless they switch back to an up-tempo offensive game.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Sif

You have all these high profile point producers, ask them to play like some dime a dozen grinders while still paying them like high profile point producers. Solid cap management.

Sif is offline   Reply With Quote