HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL | Congrats to the LA Kings! | Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
BDP says Forbort was our guy.
No, Schwartz was our guy. He got picked and BDP said the next guy would be Forbort if he was available. He got picked, then we traded for Rundblad.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Tim Thomas's descent from "unknown old dude who made it to the NHL against all odds" to "crazy Tea Party dude who puts his insane beliefs before his team" has been a treat to watch
I don't understand why Bruins fans are defending him. Yeah, he has had a great career but his selfish behaviour is screwing over the team. It will be interesting to see if they still defend him if they can't sign one of their UFA/RFA's because of his cap hit

Old
06-03-2012, 04:27 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaFanBen View Post
I don't understand why Bruins fans are defending him. Yeah, he has had a great career but his selfish behaviour is screwing over the team. It will be interesting to see if they still defend him if they can't sign one of their UFA/RFA's because of his cap hit
I understand that the Bruins take the cap hit but... do they actually have to pay him? Is this some sort of mental health thing where he is on long-term disability or something?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
benjiv1

Couldn't they just suspend him? Or would he still be counted towards the cap?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
I understand that the Bruins take the cap hit but... do they actually have to pay him? Is this some sort of mental health thing where he is on long-term disability or something?
yeah when Niedermayer did this the Ducks had to suspend him... I think that was so they didn't lose his rights. But I don't think the cap hit counted. With TT it's a little different cause it's 35+ years old contract.

So do the Bruins need to suspend him to keep his rights? Does he have a cap hit in that case?

If they don't, does his contract expire in a year, or right now? Does he have a cap hit in that case?

Old
06-03-2012, 05:02 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaFanBen View Post
Well, his cap hit is there regardless. So if the Bruins can't sign a free agent because of the hit, it wasn't because he took the year off because even if he played the cap hit was there anyways.

The selfish thing is taking the year off knowing that your cap hit is there even if you don't play.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Couldn't they just suspend him? Or would he still be counted towards the cap?
If they suspend him his salary still counts against the cap, they just do not have to pay it.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:41 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Well, his cap hit is there regardless. So if the Bruins can't sign a free agent because of the hit, it wasn't because he took the year off because even if he played the cap hit was there anyways.

The selfish thing is taking the year off knowing that your cap hit is there even if you don't play.
They could technically bury his contract in the minors. Then it wouldn't result in a cap hit. They could do that and suspend him for not reporting, therefore no cap hit and no salary payment.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Penguins acquire Vokoun from Washington for a 7th round pick, then sign him to a 2yr, $4 mil deal.

I think Fleury's playoff meltdown has created some serious doubts in Pittsburgh. Vokoun, for that price, is an AMAZING coup for the Pens.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:26 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Penguins acquire Vokoun from Washington for a 7th round pick, then sign him to a 2yr, $4 mil deal.

I think Fleury's playoff meltdown has created some serious doubts in Pittsburgh. Vokoun, for that price, is an AMAZING coup for the Pens.
Meh, I think it isn't a move to take the reigns away from Fleury, I think it's more a case of them not trusting their backup so much that Fleury got overplayed. Regardless, Fleury and Vokoun is a great 1a/1a tandem.

06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Meh, I think it isn't a move to take the reigns away from Fleury, I think it's more a case of them not trusting their backup so much that Fleury got overplayed. Regardless, Fleury and Vokoun is a great 1a/1a tandem.
I think that's one possibility, but there's also the possibility that they move Fleury to a team that desperately needs a goalie, for a defensive piece.

If Pittsburgh thinks they have a 2-year window for a Cup, it makes sense. They gave up nothing for Vokoun, and could get a decent return for Fleury.

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised by it either. In any case, you're correct: that 1A/1A goalie tandem looks scary.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

If Burke was a good GM he would have been all over this

Old
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Vokoun is a back-up now. Why would Burke want another back-up goalie when they have 2 already?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
The only reason I can think Toronto wasn't in on Vokoun was that Vokoun made it be known to everyone in the league that he was ONLY going to sign with a legit Cup contender.

Which Toronto, as we all know, is not.

... Unless we're talking about the Calder Cup.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Vokoun is a back-up now. Why would Burke want another back-up goalie when they have 2 already?
Vokoun's still a starting-caliber goalie, IMO. Just not as elite as he once was.

He'd start for around 10 teams, maybe more, over their current starter.

He'd for sure start for: Chicago, Columbus, Edmonton, Florida, NY Islanders, Philadelphia (haha, Bryz...), San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto
He MIGHT start for: Minnesota

Old
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
God Says No

Quote:
i think he is better than a backup. reimer and vokoun would have been a good combo. i'm happy the leafs didn't get him. i guess they'll go after luongo now, which is even better since they'll pay a steep price for him.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

I had Vokoun as my goalie for my fantasy team last year so I watched quite a few games he started and I really don't think he can be a true #1 goalie anymore. Maybe a decent 1a/b but for a team like T.O, I think they could get someone better who wont be retiring within the next few seasons.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
backdoorpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
No, Schwartz was our guy. He got picked and BDP said the next guy would be Forbort if he was available. He got picked, then we traded for Rundblad.
not true

Old
06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Vokoun is without a doubt a starting goaltender in this league.

Pitts is smart. They could easily turn around and trade him for a good return down the line.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Yeah, I see it as them realizing they had no option when Fleury sh#t the bed... and don't want that to happen again. Smart.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Further proof.

2008/09
Vezina Winner: .933 sv% on 2nd place team (1st among goales with 20+ games)
Vokoun: .926 sv% on 14th placed team (2nd among goalies with 20+ games)

2009/10
Vokoun: .925 sv% on 28th placed team
Vezina Winner: .927 on 11th placed team.

2010/11
Vokoun: .922 sv% on 27th placed team
Lundqvist: .923 sv%

2011/12
Vokoun: 17th in sv% (among goalies with 20+ games).

Old
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

I'm not arguing that he used to be great. He was one of the best goalies in the league. Was. Those days are behind him and any team that would hope he could carry a #1 work load would have been disappointed imo. He's not as good as he used to be. playing around 30 games with the Pens is perfect for him.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
I'm not arguing that he used to be great. He was one of the best goalies in the league. Was. Those days are behind him and any team that would hope he could carry a #1 work load would have been disappointed imo. He's not as good as he used to be. playing around 30 games with the Pens is perfect for him.
One mediocre year on a Capitals team that sucked for 2/3 of the season doesn't mean Vokoun is no longer a starter.

Anyway, Toronto wouldn't have landed Vokoun, his past two contracts show he's in it for the Cup now.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
One mediocre year on a Capitals team that sucked for 2/3 of the season doesn't mean Vokoun is no longer a starter.
He's also getting older. We'll see next year but some players just start to regress with age. I didn't like his technique this year. He didn't look like the old Vokoun at all.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Feel bad for Devils fans.

This series was tight until the ref decided to not blow the whistle on that first Kings' goal. New Jersey really needs to improve their PP though, had tons of make up PP time that they generated squat on.

Closed Thread