HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5 bold predictions for the Winnipeg Jets 2012/13 season.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:08 PM
PensFan6687

vCash: 500
5 bold predictions for the Winnipeg Jets 2012/13 season.

Taking a page from the Columbus Blue Jackets forum, but going bold with my predictions!

1. Spencer Machacek finds himself in the top six at chunks of the season and puts up 20 goals and 40-plus points.

2. We land a big market player before the trade deadline.

3. We sit on top of the standings for the months of October and November, but fall in the standings to the No. 8 seed.

4. Evander Kane scores 45 goals.

5. Al Montoya steals 35 games from Ondrej Pavelec.

Honorable mention: Ivan Telegin out performs Mark Scheifele by 15 points. 50 points to Scheifele's 35 points in 70 games.

Paul Postma produces similar numbers to Zach Bogosian.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:13 PM
truck
HFB Partner

I'm quite confident that zero of these things will happen.

Well, #3 could happen, but I would say there is close to a zero % chance for the rest.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:18 PM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Taking a page from the Columbus Blue Jackets forum, but going bold with my predictions!

1. Spencer Machacek finds himself in the top six at chunks of the season and puts up 20 goals and 40-plus points.

3. We sit on top of the standings for the months of October and November, but fall in the standings to the No. 8 seed.

Honorable mention: Ivan Telegin out performs Mark Scheifele by 15 points. 50 points to Scheifele's 35 points in 70 games.

Not sure if I agree with you predictions BUT they are very bold and even if you nailed one or two it would be impressive!!

FWIW I think # 1 could happen. Telegin and Scheif will probably be in different leagues so that is tough to compare apples to oranges, and if Postma does produce similar numbers to Bogo we are in very good shape this year.

I will have to think about this and come back with 5 of my own!!

Good thread

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:25 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 50
Number 1 is the most likely of the bunch and that's really saying something. If Burmi and Wellwood struggle, I could see Machacek getting second-line RW time but I don't know that both of those players would struggle sufficiently at the same time. With injuries though anything is possible and even if Machacek just gets to play on the third line next to Antropov and Poni for a significant portion of the season, I don't think 15 goals and 30 points is unrealistic. 20 goals and 40 points could just require a couple hot streaks on top of that.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

More Detail:
1. Machacek is a marginal 20 goal scorer in the AHL, he wont score 20 in the NHL
2. Chevy won't trade the picks or prospects that would be needed for this.
3. Maybe.
4. I'd love to see it, but 40 goals is very rare.
5. Only if Pavi gets hurt.
HM: Telegin will likely be in the AHL, Scheifele will likely be in the OHL. Unless Telegin is instantly the best player in the AHL, or Scheifele gets hurt, this will not happen.

Postma, hopefully. I don't know that he will get enough ice time to do it.

Ugh... I am such a Debbie Downer.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Hmmm...

1. Mark Dekanich wins the backup job in camp, and posts a save percentage above 0.920 in 20 appearances

2. Ondrej Pavelec goes to the All Star game and wins 1st star of the month for November, with a sub-2.00 GAA going into the new year

3. Jets go undefeated in regulation at home vs. Southeast opponents

4. Claude Noel gets nominated for the Jack Adams

5. Jets win the Southeast

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
deadwrong

I think #1 could happen.

Spencer really played like a top 6, jeez, maybe a top3. He was crankin the points out when he joined the team.

I like that guy.

deadwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong View Post
I think #1 could happen.

Spencer really played like a top 6, jeez, maybe a top3. He was crankin the points out when he joined the team.

I like that guy.
Mach will never ever ever be a 1st line player. Ever. The numbers he put up at the end of they year were as much luck as skill.

While Mach was on the ice 26.3% of all shots by any Jet resulted in goals. That is more than double Stamkos who was the top regular player. Mach will likely never repeat that.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

1. Spencer Machacek finds himself in the top six at chunks of the season and puts up 20 goals and 40-plus points. He has to beat Burmistrov, Wellwood and Antropov... not going to happen. Also, as been said Machacek is not a top6 calibre player. Don't trust how he did in 11 games (even though he didn't do that well just got lucky... he got out shot by the opposition and outplayed just puck luck was with him), look at his career. The guy will be a quality 3rd line, don't get me wrong... but if he's in our top6 we're in trouble...

2. We land a big market player before the trade deadline.I'd doubt it but anythings possible... other than this going against Chevy's "not mortgaging the future for today" policy

3. We sit on top of the standings for the months of October and November, but fall in the standings to the No. 8 seed.possible

4. Evander Kane scores 45 goals. hiiiiighly unlikely but hey crazy stuff happen

5. Al Montoya steals 35 games from Ondrej Pavelec.good luck with that one... Even if Montoya was to out perform Pav's this would unlikely happen

Honorable mention: Ivan Telegin out performs Mark Scheifele by 15 points. 50 points to Scheifele's 35 points in 70 games.They would both have to make the big team since if they don't Telegin is in the AHL and Scheif is in the OHL... So they would both have to surpass Burmi, Wellwood and Antro for both to make it

Paul Postma produces similar numbers to Zach Bogosian.Bogo was 19th D in the NHL for pts/60mins... baring major injury *which if happens I'm blaming you!!!* it won't happen and if anything Bogo will get better numbers this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Hmmm...

1. Mark Dekanich wins the backup job in camp, and posts a save percentage above 0.920 in 20 appearancestough call... I'd say if Montoya is doing terrible they might switch later in the year

2. Ondrej Pavelec goes to the All Star game and wins 1st star of the month for November, with a sub-2.00 GAA going into the new yearThe Goalie Guild (highly respected) seems to think this year will be Pavs breakout year... I hope you are both right

3. Jets go undefeated in regulation at home vs. Southeast opponentsUndefeated... hefty prediction but I won't complain

4. Claude Noel gets nominated for the Jack AdamsI think too much "who you know" and "politics" goes into that thing

5. Jets win the SoutheastI will agree

Now that I blasted everyone elses, time for mine:

1) Jets lead SE for at least 2 months

2) Burmistrov improves, pushing Wellwood out of 2nd line duties and puts up 40pts

3) Scheifele is in top10 OHL for points and leads the CNDN WJC team to gold

4) Pavs has breakout year posting just above league avg SV% earning his contract (skeptical... so I guess this is more of a hope and needed for point 1)

5) Telegin makes AHL Rookie Allstar team and Redmond makes AHL Allstar team

Bonus: we make playoffs as 7th/8th seed but get knocked out in 5-6

Guess more hopes than predictions but oh well

Last edited by garret9: 08-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:24 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

#0 There WILL be a FULL 2012-13 NHL regular season.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:53 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

1. We have a lot of injuries this season having 3 keys forwards out for the remainder of the year
2. We have a worse season and are a lottery team
3. One of Evander Kane or Alex Burmistrov gets traded
4. Wheeler gets 75 points and leads the team in assists and 2nd in the team in goals
5. Everyone is all pissed off at Jokinen for lack of effort and over 100+ proposals with his name in them

Sorry guys... but we're not going to have a good year

HM: Ladd leads in goals and only 3 players play a full year being Wheeler, Ladd and Byfuglien

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Here's my bold predictions:
#1: The Jets have a Tim Stapleton night in which they give away free staplers with #14 on them
#2: Clitsome plays in all 82 games
#3: Bogosian puts up 40pts and leads the team in plus/minus
#4: The Jets lead the SE for at least 2 months of the season and make the playoffs NOT as the 8th seed
#5: Byfuglien starts the year in the best shape of his life and it negatively affects his play

Old
08-03-2012, 08:00 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
only 3 players play a full year being Wheeler, Ladd and Byfuglien
Only Ladd played a full year last year.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
#5: Byfuglien starts the year in the best shape of his life and it negatively affects his play

That one made my shift

Old
08-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Jetsfan204*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
1. We have a lot of injuries this season having 3 keys forwards out for the remainder of the year
2. We have a worse season and are a lottery team
3. One of Evander Kane or Alex Burmistrov gets traded
4. Wheeler gets 75 points and leads the team in assists and 2nd in the team in goals
5. Everyone is all pissed off at Jokinen for lack of effort and over 100+ proposals with his name in them

Sorry guys... but we're not going to have a good year

HM: Ladd leads in goals and only 3 players play a full year being Wheeler, Ladd and Byfuglien
I love your optimism

Jetsfan204* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:44 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I'm quite confident that zero of these things will happen.

Well, #3 could happen, but I would say there is close to a zero % chance for the rest.
Of course, thus why these are bold predictions. Guys, keep in mind you have to be bold. Nobody has to be right. Most likely we'll be wrong on what we deem as safe predictions, as we may undervalue a player or undersell a situation. I don't know about the rest of you, but predictions are just that... guesses. Heck, lets be realistic on a wide scope! Who predicted that small man Marty St. Louis who went undrafted would win a scoring title or be a top 10 forward of the past decade? Or the evolution of Zdeno Chara into the offensive powerhouse he is today. Or how about Tim Thomas becoming a Vezina winning goalie. Freakier things have happened. People can't be easy to dismiss things simply because they seem near improbable/impossible for the player and/or situation. Granted, I am having fun and not taking myself seriously or do I actually expect all of those things to happen. Are they possible? Absolutely. Any of the 5 things can happen. It's not out of the realm of possibility. You want a conservative play it safe prediction thread, make one. But this is for the bold and beautiful, and kiddies, I am just that!

Last edited by PensFan6687: 08-03-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 11:53 PM
PensFan6687

I take back No. 2. We have a pretty frugal (for now), play-it-safe (granted, the picks we made don't necessarily suggest that), and smart management. We're hardly in a place to be a top competitive team. But, we may end up making a deal for a big stud if certain chips don't fall in place... I can throw a name out there, but I don't want to upset anyone here. :p

Old
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Here's my bold predictions:
#1: The Jets have a Tim Stapleton night in which they give away free staplers with #14 on them
#2: Clitsome plays in all 82 games
#3: Bogosian puts up 40pts and leads the team in plus/minus
#4: The Jets lead the SE for at least 2 months of the season and make the playoffs NOT as the 8th seed
This guy gets it! hehe Love it!

Old
08-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Jetsfan204*

Heres my 5 very bold predictions

1. bogo steals buffs spot on the top d pairing
2. poni/welly/antro combine for 140 points
3. the jets finish the regular season in 6th place in the east, the jets v2.0 have their first whiteout
4. blake wheeler shatters his career high with 90 points
5. the winnipeg jets win lord stanleys cup

I'm a dreamer, what can I say

Jetsfan204* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Tintin's Ghost

1. Noel will give the most epic post-game rant ever after a three game losing streak. Something he says will cross the line and be repeated ad nauseum.

2. Pavs becomes biggest celebrity spokesperson ever for a local taxi company. Weeks later his ads for them will be pulled from the radio as listeners complain that they can't tell if he's drunk or if it's just his accent.

3. Buff's dip will fall out of his mouth during post-game presser early in the New Year. Orlesky will be disgusted. Lawless will reach for it, believing it to be crumbs.

4. Kane tips server at local restaurant 30% of the bill. He will be attacked on Twitter for not making eye contact while doing so.

5. DUI charge for one of the guys in the off-season just to keep the team's streak alive.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:37 AM
ExMachina

1. Wheeler finishes the season with 80 points.
2. Bogosian is nominated for the Norris.
3. Scheifele cracks the line up and WINS the Calder.
4. Thorburn scores using a toe-drag and nobody questions it.
5. A Winnipeg Jet makes the all-star team and actually attends the event.

ExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:57 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm going to keep with the legalistic themes:

1) Bogosian gets charged after a hunting incident a la Dick Cheney
2) Wheeler gets charged for breaking legal limit of dogs on a property
3) Wellwood gets charged for a dangerous, aggressive, intentional high sticking that ends up going to court
4) Enstrom gets charged for chauffeuring Pavelec and Byfuglien while intoxicated
5) Lawless press charges on the whole team after his microwave burrito disappears

Old
08-04-2012, 05:11 AM
sully1410

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan204 View Post
Heres my 5 very bold predictions

1. bogo steals buffs spot on the top d pairing
2. poni/welly/antro combine for 140 points
3. the jets finish the regular season in 6th place in the east, the jets v2.0 have their first whiteout
4. blake wheeler shatters his career high with 90 points
5. the winnipeg jets win lord stanleys cup

I'm a dreamer, what can I say
Came to say this.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:00 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

#1: We'll finally win a game 6 to 1 with Hainsey scoring all six goals.
#2: We'll see a bench fight + goalie fight at the MTS Centre.
#3: Byfuglien will destroy someone during the first minute at the first preseason home game. It will be his one and only HUGE hit of the year.
#4:Telegin will get called up from St. Johns and will stay with the Jets (Scheifele plays the whole year in Barrie again).
#5: Clitsome will struggle and will be waived/traded.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

-We'll finally see a hat-trick at the MTS center. The Jets store will subsequently run out of hats during the next intermission. Rioting in the streets will ensue.

This thread is really taking off.