HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Florida/Chicago

Old
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
We got Hill, Johns or Simpson with that ATL pick...

and Vish was a young PMD that failed in DAL and ATL and couldn't make the Roster. He did the same in Chicago. Tried it and failed. He wasn't nothing 2 years ago
Andrew Ladd was traded a few days after the 2010 draft, and the Hawks got back Atlanta's 2011 2nd rounder. That turned in to Winnipeg's 2nd rounder when the franchise was moved. That turned in to Adam Clendening.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533535

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
so in other words, the fans knew how valuable Ladd was, but the General Manger (whos job that sort of thing is) did not?
No.. I don't even know how you got that from my post.

In other words, Andrew Ladd was traded for what he was worth at the time.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Sarava

I don't think anyone can criticize the return on Ladd. Now if you want to criticize trading him at all - as opposed to other players, then that's another story.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:07 PM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't think anyone can criticize the return on Ladd. Now if you want to criticize trading him at all - as opposed to other players, then that's another story.
Other players like who? The only player that could have been traded instead of Ladd was Hjalmarsson.. and then that would have left a huge hole on defense in 2010-11.

We'd go from:

Keith - Seabrook
Hammer - Campbell
Leddy - Boynton/Cullimore/Campoli/Hendry

to:

Keith - Seabrook
Boynton/Leddy - Campbell
Boynton/Leddy - Cullimore/Hendry/Campoli

I hope by "other players" you weren't referring to Sharp.. as the backlash, with him being as good a lockerroom guy as he is, the post-season he was coming off of and with him being a huge fan favourite would have been huge.

Nor could you have traded Bolland, because he was also coming off a great post-season, was/is also a fan favourite and that would have left you with only one natural centre on your roster for 2010-11, that being Toews.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
so in other words, the fans knew how valuable Ladd was, but the General Manger (whos job that sort of thing is) did not?
Ladd was the last guy that was traded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Andrew Ladd was traded a few days after the 2010 draft, and the Hawks got back Atlanta's 2011 2nd rounder. That turned in to Winnipeg's 2nd rounder when the franchise was moved. That turned in to Adam Clendening.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533535
yeah, I realized that I was wrong but wasn't able to come here and say that I was wrong

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Rexy

Quote:
why does the order in which he was traded matter?

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

this tells you how Bowman valued him. He valued him higher than Reasoner & Versteeg.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Other players like who? The only player that could have been traded instead of Ladd was Hjalmarsson.. and then that would have left a huge hole on defense in 2010-11.

We'd go from:

Keith - Seabrook
Hammer - Campbell
Leddy - Boynton/Cullimore/Campoli/Hendry

to:

Keith - Seabrook
Boynton/Leddy - Campbell
Boynton/Leddy - Cullimore/Hendry/Campoli

I hope by "other players" you weren't referring to Sharp.. as the backlash, with him being as good a lockerroom guy as he is, the post-season he was coming off of and with him being a huge fan favourite would have been huge.

Nor could you have traded Bolland, because he was also coming off a great post-season, was/is also a fan favourite and that would have left you with only one natural centre on your roster for 2010-11, that being Toews.
I wan't implying I thought he shouldn't have been moved. Just that that's out there if anyone wants to go there.

Where the return on Ladd was what it was - and I don't think anyone can realistically blame Stan for the return. A high 2nd is more than I expected back at the time.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I think everyone at the time thought that we were going to keep Ladd... at least most people did. It seemed like Bowman tried his hardest to keep him here. In the end, we still had to clear out cap space and Ladd seemed like the most expendable one (unfortunately, instead of Kopecky or Brouwer).

I can deal with the loss of Versteeg, Niemi, Byfuglien, Eager, Burish... but man, Ladd was the biggest loss from this team. I still miss him.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Kopys or Brouwers Cap Hit wouldn't have been enough to trade away

Old
05-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Actually Reasoner was last guy traded

Here is basic rundown of Hawks cap situation

- Won cup
- Found out how much Toews/Kane penalties would be
- Found out what cap would be for coming season
- Moved Buff/Sopel/Versteeg ,, Wasn't enough when factoring in the planned costs of Niemi/Hammer
- Niemi filed for arbitration and Hammer's and his agent decided to wait for offersheet and wouldn't sign
- Ladd then is traded once it is realized even at modest raise he would still be too costly
- Then Hammer offer sheet is dropped ,, Hawks have to match or lose major part of top 4 D (And lets be honest at time Hammer looked very promising to become a possible #2/3)
- Hawks then realize they cant afford Reasoner who was supposed to be replacement for Madden
- Hawks have to dump Reasoner for Taffe (Who is just AHL talent)
- Niemi arbitration is unaffordable and Hawks walk

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:35 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I can deal with the loss of Versteeg, Niemi, Byfuglien, Eager, Burish... but man, Ladd was the biggest loss from this team. I still miss him.
I personally viewed him as a core player but that's just me. Didn't matter how many points he put up. If you understand the game, you know what he brought and meant to this team. Didn't like the trade only because I'd rather see the Hawks personally draft a prospect (even if ATL was gonna offer a second, not a first) instead of acquiring Vish who I wasn't a fan of at the time (then again.. I'm not a big fan of Russian prospects anyway sans a couple here and there). But as others said, the value was fair.

We will never know how much Niklas and his agent were asking during those negotiations, but I sure as hell doubt it was 3.5 per like the Sharks offered (don't blame Hammer, eyes probably lit up when he saw that figure). I hate Bowman, and know he had his rookie mistakes during that summer, but I will never criticize him that summer since it was just a horrendous situation he had to clean up.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he managed this situation in a way that was acceptable now and at that time

Old
05-25-2012, 02:10 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Yes, 28 other GMs could have offered more but decided they would rather have less-good teams because Stan is a bad GM. Hawks fans should be the GMs for the entire NHL, as they are collectively so smart and are consistently correct and accomplished.

I know a way we can get Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. and we wont have to give up that much.

-George Costanza

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:13 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
Yes, 28 other GMs could have offered more but decided they would rather have less-good teams because Stan is a bad GM. Hawks fans should be the GMs for the entire NHL, as they are collectively so smart and are consistently correct and accomplished.

I know a way we can get Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. and we wont have to give up that much.

-George Costanza
Or with hindsight, they did offer more but Stan thought Vish was a better piece then he turned out to be.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and I'm sure that Bowman really wanted Ladd in the East...