HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Comparing the '94 team to this years

Old
05-13-2012, 04:29 PM
68Forever

vCash: 500
Comparing the '94 team to this years

I unfortunately was very young when the Rangers won the cup back in 1994. I know about the players but i never really seen any of them play. Now with us facing the Devils in the East Finals NHL.com is playing videos of the 94 series between the two teams. Are there any comparable players between are team and that team?

68Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Forever View Post
I unfortunately was very young when the Rangers won the cup back in 1994. I know about the players but i never really seen any of them play. Now with us facing the Devils in the East Finals NHL.com is playing videos of the 94 series between the two teams. Are there any comparable players between are team and that team?
Other than having taskmaster coaches....not really.

This team depends on their goaltender and defense to win...that team was one of the most offensive talented teams in Rangers history. That team had elite offense coming from the blueline, and an elite power play. This team has very little offensive coming from the blueline (percentage wise its probably high, but only because our frwards cant score) and has a horrendous PP.

that team was very old after trading away young players, this team is VERY young after refusing to trade away young players.

Really, other than finishing first in the conference, the differences in teh teams couldnt be more stark.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
After watching a lot of those playoff games (thank you Netflix) I can honestly say that the '94 team would have kicked the **** out of this team.

That offense was dynamic. Those guys knew how to move a puck.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
rangers5000

didn't they release the dvd boxset of the 94 rangers that included al the 94 games, why not just watch that, if your a ranger fan why not watch the games on that set

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
After watching a lot of those playoff games (thank you Netflix) I can honestly say that the '94 team would have kicked the **** out of this team.

im not really sure how they would match up. when you watch those games youd have to say that team would be shorthanded 793,923 times per game. They hooked and held and interfered all over the damn ice

Old
05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
didn't they release the dvd boxset of the 94 rangers that included al the 94 games, why not just watch that, if your a ranger fan why not watch the games on that set
Blockbuster had it when i had their package....rented it and burned it

Old
05-13-2012, 04:43 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post

That team was ridiculously stacked. Man for man, that's one of the best teams assembled in the last 30 years.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cmox

Yeah, '94 team was stacked up front. I will say they're slower than this team. You can't really compare the two when you think about it. Different game/style.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
im not really sure how they would match up. when you watch those games youd have to say that team would be shorthanded 793,923 times per game. They hooked and held and interfered all over the damn ice
Very true. Game was different back then. No way they could get away with even half the **** they pulled then.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Nemchinov has some similarities to Anisimov, in my mind.

There are a number of distinctions, i'll start off the top of my head...

The back 7. We had a rotation going with Doug Lidster, a slower, tougher dman beating out Karpovtsev who was more of a finesse dman for the #6 spot. Others were Leetch, Zubov (Rarely played together, was a defensive disaster even on the power play) Beuk, Lowe, and Wells. Wells was on the 3rd pairing with Lidster/Karpovtsev and Lowe was a steadying factor for Zubov on the 2nd pairing.

If I was to draw comparisons i'd say Staal is our Lowe. That is about as close as it gets. Wells would be a Michael Sauer-type.

Obviously its fun to draw a Richards-Messier comparison although Richards is not the same caliber of player by a significant margin.

Richter and Hank could not be more different in terms of goaltending style, Richter was just too small to butterfly and he had to make almost every save acrobatic because of his small stature. Devils fans complain about Henrik's pad size but Richter made Brodeur look like a giant.

Tikkanen was a pain in the ass gritty player... if you wanted to draw a comparison with Dubinsky...

Kovalev with Gaborik...
Graves with Callahan...
Matteau with Fedotenko

It really is hard to do, in my opinion. Very different sides. I think this ranger team has better 3rd and 4th lines, especially at the center position.

I think that the 94 team had a more offensive minded back 6, but the only real distinction is that Zubov and Leetch are miles better than Stralman and Del Zotto.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
That box-set is fantastic. I highly recommend it to the OP.
I watched it with a non-Ranger fan buddy of mine, and even his jaw dropped when he realized just how good Leetch was.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

No comparison. None.

Veteran team with the weight of the world on the entire organization's shoulders.

They were the Cup favorites the day Keenan was hired. And that was after not making the playoffs.

Only thing possibly comparable is goaltending. Both teams had an elite goalie heading into the playoffs with no backup controversy.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
rangers5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
That box-set is fantastic. I highly recommend it to the OP.
I watched it with a non-Ranger fan buddy of mine, and even his jaw dropped when he realized just how good Leetch was.
has there been a series better than the rangers/devils 94 one, can't think of 1 since then that has been better?

Old
05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
jb500ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Yeah, '94 team was stacked up front. I will say they're slower than this team. You can't really compare the two when you think about it. Different game/style.
they were not slower team at all. as a matter of fact if you watch any of the replays that team was so far superior to this team its not funny. after watching some of the 94 replays you also realize how bad our current defense was. even leech was physical in those playoffs to go with all the offensive skill he had.

jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Can't compare this team to the 94 squad unless they accomplish what that team did. That team trumps all until someone equals their accomplishments. Can't even compare them to 72 or 79 yet.

Only teams that are fair game to me are 81, 86, 92 (because of regular season) and 97.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:20 PM
eco's bones

Not much to compare. The game was a lot more wide open then--and the '94 team would be getting tons and tons of penalties if you put them on the ice today. The nature of the game has just changed drastically.

The '94 team was more charismatic--quite a bit older. A lot less structured.

Lundqvist is a better goalie than Richter. Rangers have 3 great shutdown d and a good young puck moving guy but there's no one even in the same ballpark as Leetch. The closest comparison I can make to Leetch right now in the NHL is Erik Karlsson might get to his level maybe in the next 5 years when he's bigger and stronger and arguably Raymond Bourque was even a better defenseman.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

There is a DVD box set that includes all 7 Devil games and all 7 Nuck games. I have owned it since its release. It is phenomenal, I usually watch it a couple times a year still.Certain games or parts of games still get me emotional and I lived it and have since watched it probably 50+ times.

Oh yea, and the 94' team would MOP this one even if Lundqvist stood on his head!

Last edited by N9Y4R: 05-14-2012 at 02:42 PM.
N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Lundqvist is a better goalie than Richter. .

I'm not gonna star this debate or try and picks fights just give my opinion. He might be technically better than Richter who knows but Richter is still the #1 goalie in the modern era for the Rangers until Henrik surpasses his accomplishments.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Nemchinov has some similarities to Anisimov, in my mind.
Other than they're both Russian, I don't see it.

Nemchinov didn't have the raw talent than Anisimov has.

And Anisimov doesn't have the hockey sense and intangibles that Sarge had.

Quote:
Tikkanen was a pain in the ass gritty player... if you wanted to draw a comparison with Dubinsky...
Again, don't see it. Tik had hockey sense that Dubi lacks. And Dubi doesn't agitate the way Tik did.

Quote:
Kovalev with Gaborik....
Sort of. Both are/were immensely talented players. Kovalev was still a pup while Gaborik is a vet.

Quote:
Graves with Callahan...
This is probably the closest with the edge to Graves in goal scoring and the edge to Cally is everything else.

Quote:
Matteau with Fedotenko
I don't know. Fedotenko has had a nice long career while Matteau really was nothing more than a journeyman.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 05-13-2012 at 07:03 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'm not gonna star this debate or try and picks fights just give my opinion. He might be technically better than Richter who knows but Richter is still the #1 goalie in the modern era for the Rangers until Henrik surpasses his accomplishments.
Just curious what you consider to be those accomplishments?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
ltrangerfan

THe 94 team was built around stars. It was truly a Mess/ Leetch/ Richter show. They had an decent but aging supportive cast.

The team had a great year overall which helped them in the playoffs.

They polished off a poor Islander team quickly. Had little problem with Washington. NJ was the better team in the playoffs but were too young to handle the pressure. Once the Rangers scored their first goal in the second period of game 6 NJ played as if they were afraid to lose. They stopped playing and were in awe of the Rangers.

Perhaps, the biggest break was playing Vancouver for the cup. A number of better teams fell in upsets and Vancouver emerged. The Rangers were looking for the line and barely held on.

No matter they won and that's all that counts.

The 94 team had a great offense. Phenom PP.

Today's team is built solely around the defense playing 2-1 games.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:58 PM
rangers5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
There is a DVD box set that includes all 7 Devil games and all 7 Nuck games. I have owned it for 15+ yrs. It is phenomenal, I usually watch it a couple times a year. Certain games or parts of games still get me emotional and I lived it and have since watched it probably 50+ times.

Oh yea, and the 94' team would MOP this one even if Lundqvist stood on his head!

15 years eh, seeing how that dvd hasnt been out for 15 years i know your lieing

Old
05-13-2012, 08:19 PM
OverTheCap

The 1994 team was more talented, especially offensively, and featured some of the best players of all time. The current team has to work a lot harder to overcome their lack of skill.

Also, in terms of leadership, I don't think there is anyone in the locker room currently that comes close to Messier. Richter was on ESPN radio last month and he was saying how much the team looked up to him and respected him. The Rangers started to doubt themselves during the ECF against the Devils and Messier gave a motivating speech about how the Rangers need to take ownership of their goal of winning the cup and admit that they are a good team that is capable of getting the job done. I've been critical of Messier's second stint with the Rangers, but when it comes to 94, he was a HUGE factor in the locker room and on the ice.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:27 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
1994 team were picked by many to win it all even before the season started. i don't know if many are even picking this years team even as 1 of 4 left.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
1994 team were picked by many to win it all even before the season started. i don't know if many are even picking this years team even as 1 of 4 left.
I honestly didn't even pick us to break the 6th seed going into this season.