HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Do you approve of the job Vinik is doing?

View Poll Results: Do You Approve of the Job Vinik is Doing?
Yes 34 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Do you approve of the job Vinik is doing?

I turned off the ability to see who voted for what, so pick whatever you choose without everybody being able to see what you think.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:38 AM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Very much. Besides the whole lockout thing, but that isn't particularly his fault. He has completely revamped the franchise, in terms of look and feel.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Absolutely approve. Last season was disappointing, but the future is looking very bright indeed. It's like a completely different organization.

The lockout is a different matter. Vinik may have voted in favor, but I doubt he's all that enthusiastic. Losing out on the buzz of the 20th anniversary, retooled roster, decent ST sales, great sponsorship numbers. Probably he's not real happy.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Rschmitz

In other news, water is wet

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:19 PM
ultra63

from "30 Thoughts: Lockouts chock full of familiar refrains"

"The commish has three groups of owners: the ones who want to play; the ones in the middle, including Tampa and Nashville, who want a better collective bargaining agreement but recognize not playing is worse; and the hardliners. .........................................

6. Meanwhile, Lightning owner Jeff Vinik continues his "Community Hero" project. Essentially, one person is honoured at every home game and given $50,000 towards their charity of choice. Vinik is continuing the initiative on what would have been game days. The first honouree donated to a shelter that helps war veterans re-integrate to society. Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman and head coach Guy Boucher will make some of the presentations along with Vinik and Lightning chief executive officer Tod Leiweke. "

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-refrains.html

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I probably should have phrased it 'do you not approve of the job Vinik is not doing?' - might have gotten some variation.

ultra posted a good article, and I suggest everybody read it. Vinik aside, there's some very good parallels between the American "Basket-ball" League lockout and our current situation.

I'd agree with the assessment that Tampa is in the group that wants a better CBA, but would rather be playing.

What I don't agree with is that there's owners who don't qualify for that group.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:17 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

I still hate the uniforms. Other than that, everything has seemed pretty great.

I was unaware of Vinik's favoring of the lock-out. I imagine it is more of a case of owners sticking together rather than Vinik being pro lock-out.

He seems to be buying a lot of property(or trying to) around the forum. I am excited to see what he plans to transform the area into, if he is able to workout the property deals. I am not a Rays(more baseball in general) fan, but if St Pete allows the team to move, and they end up housed near the forum, that would be pretty neat. I have not been to Channelside in many years, but I hear businesses are in trouble there.

PS, work out the ****ing CBA and play some ****ing hockey.

LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR View Post
I still hate the uniforms. Other than that, everything has seemed pretty great.

I was unaware of Vinik's favoring of the lock-out. I imagine it is more of a case of owners sticking together rather than Vinik being pro lock-out.

He seems to be buying a lot of property(or trying to) around the forum. I am excited to see what he plans to transform the area into, if he is able to workout the property deals. I am not a Rays(more baseball in general) fan, but if St Pete allows the team to move, and they end up housed near the forum, that would be pretty neat. I have not been to Channelside in many years, but I hear businesses are in trouble there.

PS, work out the ****ing CBA and play some ****ing hockey.
Well, every team did vote in favor of locking out the players, so there's that. Not that I fault them for that particular move, but the new CBA should have been done long before the previous one expired, and it's a failure on both sides not to have more urgency in this.

Both sides can try to frame this however they want, but it's not a labor dispute or work stoppage, it's a failure to operate.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Bolto
?

Vinik is a new kid on the block with the other owners so I would have been surprised if he had taken a hard line in either direction.

That said. I'm so pissed about this strike it doesn't matter to me if he's a good owner or bad. I've opted for the funds refund option on my season tickets and will not renew next year.

Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
ultra63

I also went with the funds refund option on my season tickets as the NHL takes its fans for granted. I did not want to lock myself in for season tickets for 2013-14.

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote