HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
newham89

vCash: 500
I may have missed this, but why are we not entering a traverse city style prospect tournament this year? Seems a shame.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
I may have missed this, but why are we not entering a traverse city style prospect tournament this year? Seems a shame.
Because they're all going back to Russia early.

I like those prospect tournaments, but I like hockey being played, so I'll play Devil's Avocado and ask why they need to play in one at all? It seems like an unnecessary expense if you've already had a prospect camp, and you kinda let them go in August just to reassemble them in September and put their ***** on a plane to play extra meaningless games.

As we saw last year against Nashville's prospects, the lack of parity doesn't seem to do much other than reconfirming that they're collectively not as good as the group that's steamrolling them.

When you enter those things, you show how good your invitees are, and they stop being team secrets.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-16-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 08:42 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

https://twitter.com/TBLightning
Quote:
The Lightning have hired former Maple Leafs assistant Rob Zettler as assistant coach of the Syracuse Crunch.
http://syracusecrunch.com/news/2012/...717121631.aspx
Quote:
Zettler will assist head coach Jon Cooper on a daily basis. His level of experience at the NHL level will allow him to share knowledge and help develop the Lightning's prospects on defense.

A native of Sept. Iles, Quebec, Zettler spent nearly four seasons with the Maple Leafs. Prior to joining Toronto's coaching staff, Zettler spent six seasons as an assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks from 2002 to 2008.
http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2012...assistant.html
Quote:
BriseBois said Zettler’s hiring completes the Crunch’s bench staff. Video assistant coach Brian Garlock is making the move from Norfolk to Syracuse, and Lightning player development coordinator Steve Thomas is expected to work with the Crunch at least 10 days a month.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 07-18-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
EvanOberg

Which one of the Defensive prospects do you think is most ready to play with the Lightning this season? Besides Aulie, is it Gudas, Barberio, or Oberg?

Old
07-23-2012, 10:56 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Which one of the Defensive prospects do you think is most ready to play with the Lightning this season? Besides Aulie, is it Gudas, Barberio, or Oberg?
I don't see any of them making the team out of camp, then it depends on who gets injured who'd we call up. Gudas is the best defensively which we struggled at, Barberio needs some more work on his own zone game and Oberg is reliable if called up but not ready for a full season. Gudas would be the one who could play all year as he wouldn't be a liability on the back end where we lacked last season.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

hey guys, just wondering what Barberio and Gudas' ceiling is, and when you expect them to crack your roster

i have both in my keeper league, so im just wondering, thanks!

Old
07-24-2012, 05:06 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
hey guys, just wondering what Barberio and Gudas' ceiling is, and when you expect them to crack your roster

i have both in my keeper league, so im just wondering, thanks!
Their Ceilings? I think we'd all be happy if Barberio turned out like Matt Carle and Gudas turned out like Niklas Kronwall.

Neither will likely make the Bolt's roster this season. This is what our defensemen depth chart probably looks like (Just guessing, I'm sure there will be minor differences at the start of the season).

1. Hedman
2. Carle
3. Brewer
4. Salo
5. Lee
6. Mikkelson
7. Aulie
8. MAB
9. Taormina
10. Barberio
11. Gudas

Whenever injuries inevitably occur, they will prob be two of the first guys considered to be called up though.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

THW's Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances
Quote:
9. Tampa Bay Lightning

While I do not necessarily agree with where many of the picks were selected, there is no denying that Yzerman’s scouting crew got formidable value throughout the draft with each and every of their eight selections. Koekkoek was another prospect going off the board slightly earlier than projected, but has high upside after an injury-riddled season. Again, I am not a proponent of drafting goalies early, especially in the first round, but Vasilevskiy has the size and talent to develop into a NHL franchise goalie.

Blujus is an intriguing blueliner with some clear strengths and weaknesses. Hart was one of the best pure athletes available in the draft, but will be a project. Richard made a smooth transition to the North American game. There was no way he would not get selected in his second year eligible. Paquette was a rock solid 4th round selection.

The Lightning may have struck gold in the final two round of the draft. Dotchin was thought highly enough by Mark Edwards and HockeyProspect.com staff that he was ranked as first-round worthy in their final rankings. Gusev has a tremendous offensive skill-set and those talents were on full display at the 2012 World Juniors in Calgary. Tampa Bay seemed all too fitting as his eventual destination. They might be one of the few teams that could entice him to make the trip across the pond.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Matthew Peca article on lightning.nhl.com

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

Quote:
“College hockey was right for me,” said Peca, from Petawawa, Ontario. “With the extra time, I have had a chance to add some strength and size in the weight room. I don’t plan on leaving. I love it there.”
Quote:
Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said Peca gained 11 pounds of muscle in his first four weeks of the weight-training program. Major junior doesn’t offer as much time with off-ice work because there are more games, which has made college hockey more attractive for many talented, under-sized players.

Pecknold knew he had a skillful offensive player coming in, but he said Peca was one of the best all-around freshmen in the league and the country.

“The thing that was really a pleasant surprise was how quickly he picked up the other little things his first season,” Pecknold said. “He was very reliable defensively and an excellent penalty killer. We had the No. 2 penalty-killing unit in the country and he was a part of it. Three on five, he was our first forward over the boards, winning face-offs. He was an 18-year old kid playing against 22-23 year olds and he was dominant.”
Quote:
Lightning Development Coordinator Steve Thomas said Peca is good along the wall and sacrifices his body to get the puck out when he needs to, despite his size.

“He’s so quick and he’s got such good balance,” Pecknold said. “He wins a ton of battles against bigger players. You’d think he’d get knocked around, but it just doesn’t happen. He plays big for his size.”

Old
07-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Bish please
Kick in the grass

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Kucherov just tweeted "Quebec Remparts!". Sounds like he has agreed to come to North America.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:02 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilevski View Post
Kucherov just tweeted "Quebec Remparts!". Sounds like he has agreed to come to North America.
I don't think the issue was him 'agreeing' to come to NA but it was about hin contract in Russia. It means Quebec sucessfully bought it out.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:58 AM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I don't think the issue was him 'agreeing' to come to NA but it was about hin contract in Russia. It means Quebec sucessfully bought it out.
Wait how rich QMJHL teams are ?

Old
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yzerplan View Post
Wait how rich QMJHL teams are ?
Quebec, Moncton and Saint John have rich owners. Quebec has 4 owners, 3 are mutli-millionaires and one is a billionaire. They could own a NHL team.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:09 AM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

Quote:
Quebec, Moncton and Saint John have rich owners. Quebec has 4 owners, 3 are mutli-millionaires and one is a billionaire. They could own a NHL team.
Wow, that's unbelievable. Well good for Kucherov

Old
07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
CHL teams can do that? I'd think Bettman would find an issue with that, even though it's not his league.

There's also Russian labor law which would require him to give two weeks notice to his Russian club, but he would be able to leave after that, even if he was under contract.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
CHL teams can do that? I'd think Bettman would find an issue with that, even though it's not his league.

There's also Russian labor law which would require him to give two weeks notice to his Russian club, but he would be able to leave after that, even if he was under contract.
Yes, CHL teams can give money compensations to Europeans clubs. They are liberation fees. I guess Kucherov couldn't play with TB or their AHL club in 2012-13 because in the KHL-NHL agreement, you can't buy out contracts.

It has been like this forever so I don't think Bettman has an issue with it.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Been in the works for a while.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:37 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quebec Remparts confirm the news, Kucherov will join their team next season. Some paperwork to take care of and it will be a done deal. They're saying it's only a formality now.

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/...oche-de-quebec

Old
07-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

Old
07-31-2012, 06:47 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Yes, CHL teams can give money compensations to Europeans clubs. They are liberation fees. I guess Kucherov couldn't play with TB or their AHL club in 2012-13 because in the KHL-NHL agreement, you can't buy out contracts.

It has been like this forever so I don't think Bettman has an issue with it.
Vive le liberation!

I say Bettman would have an issue with it because of the hardline stance the NHL takes against buying out player contracts with Euro clubs.

From a juniors league perspective, I don't really like it from a parity viewpoint. It allows the richest clubs to get an advantage in a supposedly 'amateur' league.

There's also an issue if say, the Plymouth Whalers and Carolina Hurricanes both draft a Euro player, and the Whalers are allowed to liberate them, and bring them into the fold of Karmanos owned teams, where other organizations couldn't do that.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-31-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old
07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
BoltSTH

According to the main prospects board Kurcherov has been released from his KHL contract.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:24 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
According to the main prospects board Kurcherov has been released from his KHL contract.
All part of the Yzerplan.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:34 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
ЦСКА - расторгнут контракт с нападающим Кучеровым Никитой
http://www.khl.ru/news/2012/7/31/43498.html

It says: CSKA terminated its contract with forward Nikita Kucherov.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:29 PM
EvanOberg

Great news!

Old
07-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Bolt32

I know a lot of people are writing in Killhorn as someone who has a legit chance at the roster, and simply over looking it. Anyone else believe that Tyler Johnson actually has a legit shot either this season or next to make the team? He did kill it this year in the AHL. Highlights of him and Conacher was a thing of beauty to boot.

Closed Thread