HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group H • May 14 • Kazakhstan 1, Finland 4

View Poll Results: Who wins?
KAZ in regulation 8 30.77%
KAZ in OT/shootout 1 3.85%
FIN in regulation 16 61.54%
FIN in OT/shootout 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
  #101
SPMaximus
Registered User
 
SPMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Granlund now playing with Immonen and Pyörälä

SPMaximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:11 PM
  #102
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 23,319
vCash: 256
Tseneral mänizer Kurri is not amused.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
  #103
Random Oracle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 50
Finland is pretty much a one-line team right now. The Filppula-Koivu-Jokinen line is great but there's very little depth after that.

Random Oracle is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
  #104
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Finland is pretty much a one-line team right now. The Filppula-Koivu-Jokinen line is great but there's very little depth after that.
Komarov-Kapanen-Kiiskinen (KKK ) is great, too.

Lapa is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  #105
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,913
vCash: 500
soft call by the refs on that hit

zorz is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  #106
Finnswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Tseneral mänizer Kurri is not amused.
Of course not as the Finns take one penaly after the other against a team like Kazakstan. And either scoring efficency is not very good again or the shots are too weak and no real scoring chances from the Finns.

I can't see the game so I don't know.

Finnswiss is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
  #107
SPMaximus
Registered User
 
SPMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
Of course not as the Finns take one penaly after the other against a team like Kazakstan. And either scoring efficency is not very good again or the shots are too weak and no real scoring chances from the Finns.

I can't see the game so I don't know.
Finland isnt taking many penalties, Kazakhstan is

edit: iihf.com says 10 for Fin and 18 for Kaz

SPMaximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  #108
Finnswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
Finland isnt taking many penalties, Kazakhstan is

edit: iihf.com says 10 for Fin and 18 for Kaz
ok you are right, but against teams like Kazakstan scoring efficiency could be better.

Finnswiss is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  #109
Caz
Hedonist
 
Caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
There were just a sec ago three perfect text-book
examples in a row on how to eliminate the system
we try to play.

Keep one forechecker by our goal and another one
between the blue and our goal. Depending on where
our def behind the goal (with the puck) chooses to go,
switch the pressure on that side.

All passing ways are covered this way and all three
times even KAZ was able to make us

a) lose the puck control in our def zone
b) lose the puck control before the red
c) force our def to just lift the puck into an empty
space with no blue jerseys --> lose the puck to the
opponent.

Sad.

Caz is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  #110
Finnswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
There were just a sec ago three perfect text-book
examples in a row on how to eliminate the system
we try to play.

Keep one forechecker by our goal and another one
between the blue and our goal. Depending on where
our def behind the goal (with the puck) chooses to go,
switch the pressure on that side.

All passing ways are covered this way and all three
times even KAZ was able to make us

a) lose the puck control in our def zone
b) lose the puck control before the red
c) force our def to just lift the puck into an empty
space with no blue jerseys --> lose the puck to the
opponent.

Sad.
Ok, unfortunately it looks in this case very bad for Finland for the quarterfinal. If they continue playing like that they don't have any chance to reach the semifinal.

Finnswiss is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:28 PM
  #111
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
We won.



Yay.

FiLe is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
  #112
Finnswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
We won.



Yay.
I'm afraid it will be the last win for Finland at this WHC.

Finnswiss is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
  #113
Caz
Hedonist
 
Caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
I'm afraid it will be the last win for Finland at this WHC.
Hopefully we're both wrong, but youre right.

If we play SVK we have a chance, if we play CAN the chance is tiny but there.
If we play USA I hope USA goes on. All the way to the final.

Caz is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:36 PM
  #114
Dominus
Believe to see!
 
Dominus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moosetown
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Finland is pretty much a one-line team right now. The Filppula-Koivu-Jokinen line is great but there's very little depth after that.
Yep. Based on this game we're ****ed. Kazakhstan applied the same kind of forecheck that USA did, although they were not quite as aggressive, but we were in trouble again. It isn't really encouraging that only thing that worked against Kazakhstan was Koivu's PP unit.

Kiiskinen was pretty good. I'd leave him in the lineup and let Joensuu sit. At this point I'd say that games are over for us in Thursday. With this kind of play we will lose no matter who we face.

Dominus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
  #115
MMANumminen
Registered User
 
MMANumminen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arctic Circle
Country: Finland
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
1st USA game was huge underachievement. Remember the 1st round against Canada. Things can still click. Big game on thursday, can't wait. Have to get drunk

MMANumminen is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
  #116
MMANumminen
Registered User
 
MMANumminen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arctic Circle
Country: Finland
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Lol scoring chances for Koivu's line 34-1

MMANumminen is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:42 PM
  #117
Caz
Hedonist
 
Caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
1st USA game was huge underachievement. Remember the 1st round against Canada. Things can still click. Big game on thursday, can't wait. Have to get drunk
The only reason for our domination in the CAN game start was
the fact that CAN was playing low, red-line blueline forechecking
with one guy and the rest were waiting around or under the red.

The second they raised their forechecking to our goal and switched
to 1-1-3 with 1 guy deep in our zone and a second almost as deep
when we had the puck (hard pressure on our puck holder) -
the game went from 3-1 to 3-5 and we had nothing to answer with.

Caz is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:44 PM
  #118
Finnswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
1st USA game was huge underachievement. Remember the 1st round against Canada. Things can still click. Big game on thursday, can't wait. Have to get drunk
Of course I wished you are right but since they lost the game against Canada after a 3-1 lead the Finns seemed to lost also their abilities and skills. They never recovered from that game against Canada.

Additionally too many key players from last year's title are not in form or they can't handle the pressure or expectations because they play their home WHC. I think on players like Granlund, Immonen or Pihlström was better last year too.

Finnswiss is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
  #119
Paatos
Registered User
 
Paatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
Have to get drunk
I'll wheel this in already so it's ready for Thursday.


Paatos is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
  #120
Dominus
Believe to see!
 
Dominus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moosetown
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
If we play SVK we have a chance, if we play CAN the chance is tiny but there.
If we play USA I hope USA goes on. All the way to the final.
Yeah. I actually would prefer to play Canada at this point instead of USA. Their speed will destroy us.

Dominus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
  #121
crowi
Registered Plug
 
crowi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Hopefully we're both wrong, but youre right.

If we play SVK we have a chance, if we play CAN the chance is tiny but there.
If we play USA I hope USA goes on. All the way to the final.
To be honest we should've lost to SVK on the first round too. We got lucky.

Also go USA (after we get eliminated in semis) !!!

crowi is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
  #122
gib
Registered User
 
gib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
Yeah. I actually would prefer to play Canada at this point instead of USA. Their speed will destroy us.
If we stop playing "meidän peli" (even the phrase is sickening) we still have good chance against USA. Jalonen can't be so stupid that he plays with same tactic again? Canada is too good for this team. No matter what tactics we play.

gib is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 04:22 PM
  #123
crowi
Registered Plug
 
crowi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
If we stop playing "meidän peli" (even the phrase is sickening) we still have good chance against USA. Jalonen can't be so stupid that he plays with same tactic again? Canada is too good for this team. No matter what tactics we play.
Wonder how it would have gone on our last year's championship run if we had played Canada. The pure invidual skill will win, the multiple Finn defense failures don't even matter.

If USA goes for the same forecheck and our D stays the same (bad), we will get rolled.

crowi is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
  #124
Dominus
Believe to see!
 
Dominus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moosetown
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
If we stop playing "meidän peli" (even the phrase is sickening) we still have good chance against USA. Jalonen can't be so stupid that he plays with same tactic again? Canada is too good for this team. No matter what tactics we play.
How about start playing "meidän peli"? (Though I agree that the phrase is a bit sickening.) You think we do any better if we just suddenly abandon the system we've used and polished for years now? The problem is that Finland isn't playing "meidän peli" at the moment.

Dominus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
  #125
Finnswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Dear Finns, what does it mean "meidän peli"?

Finnswiss is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.