HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How Much do Captains Actually Matter?

Old
05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
How Much do Captains Actually Matter?

How much credit do captains deserve?

I think they get over emphasized here.

What do you think?

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

vCash: 500
How do we know?

We aren't the ones in the dressing room, and on the bench.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:57 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Captaincy gets wildly overrated on HFboards - to the point that some think giving one player the C over another on the same team makes a difference.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
wej20

It's probably overrated on hfboards, you need more than one great leader on the team.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
How do we know?

We aren't the ones in the dressing room, and on the bench.
Exactly. But all in all. Captaincy is different in every city.

I can't imagine a guy like Lidstrom needs to be loud in a veteran room in Detroit and with a history like his but a guy like Phaneuf has to be in a young struggling room that has to deal with the media.

Captains take the brunt of the blame and have to talk to the media in certain markets too.

It varies but a captain needs to unite the room as well. There will be players with different personalities that a Captain has to unite without exiling other players.

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:06 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
How much credit do captains deserve?

I think they get over emphasized here.

What do you think?
Sounds like you have never played a sport outside of a youth or adult recreational league.

Captains are important. Sometimes words are not enough to explain it to someone that has not experienced it first hand.

Not every captain fulfills his/her responsibilities. There are good captains and bad captains. Some captains receive their captaincy for the wrong reasons. See Ovechkin.

A captain is someone who should be looked upon to lead by example. Someone that commands others attention and respect. They don't necessarily have to be the best player, despite the fact that it seems to be a common occurrence in the NHL.

Nonetheless, captains play a important role in all team sports.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Is there something that isn't overrated on HFBoards?

A Captain is something you either underrate because you have a great one of your team, or it's overrated because you have a terrible one on your team and think it isn't as needed.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post
Exactly. But all in all. Captaincy is different in every city.

I can't imagine a guy like Lidstrom needs to be loud in a veteran room in Detroit and with a history like his but a guy like Phaneuf has to be in a young struggling room that has to deal with the media.

Captains take the brunt of the blame and have to talk to the media in certain markets too.

It varies but a captain needs to unite the room as well. There will be players with different personalities that a Captain has to unite without exiling other players.
Exactly, Captains are often use to relay a message to the coach from the players. When a team goes really bad, Captain can lock the players in the locker room without the coaches to stir some things up. I think that If captains were'nt important, teams would get rid of them.

As fans we can only speculate about how important it is or not. I think they're more important than we think. Hockey isn't only a matter of skills and statistics. It's about building a core group. Suffering for your teammates.

Let's take Phoenix for example. We all knew way before this year that Shane Doan was a great captain. Look what the team is doing right now without any star players. They're there to bring some extra motivation.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Sounds like you have never played a sport outside of a youth or adult recreational league.

Captains are important. Sometimes words are not enough to explain it to someone that has not experienced it first hand.

Not every captain fulfills his/her responsibilities. There are good captains and bad captains. Some captains receive their captaincy for the wrong reasons. See Ovechkin.

A captain is someone who should be looked upon to lead by example. Someone that commands others attention and respect. They don't necessarily have to be the best player, despite the fact that it seems to be a common occurrence in the NHL.

Nonetheless, captains play a important role in all team sports.
Are you claiming that you have? Just for the sake of clarity and removing all doubt that you are not a hypocrite. Not attacking you...

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:32 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I think it really varies by person and team.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:13 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

A good leader is a crucial part of a team, however a captain is just a C sewn to a players jersey who gets to talk to the officials. The best leader on the team might wear the C, might not.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
wej20

All I do know is the captain in hockey pales in comparison to cricket where they're really relied on to make decisions.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:17 PM
DarthYenik

Captains matter. Leaders matter. The letter "C" is only worth getting to talk to the refs.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I played a fairly high level of junior hockey for 3 years, and captaincy meant nothing.

You vote on it before the season (assuming there isn't a returning captain) so its pretty much a popularity contest,and then thats the end of it.

All captains are for are to relay information from coaches to refs and vise versa. Thats it, thats all.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
RaybCamn

I think that captains are really best for the military, hollywood has really made captains look like they always save the day, big speech = victory. Most true captains lead by example, they step up when everyone backs off. Here is the thing though these ppl will do the same thing with or without the C on there uniform.

RaybCamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:42 PM
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I played a fairly high level of junior hockey for 3 years, and captaincy meant nothing.

You vote on it before the season (assuming there isn't a returning captain) so its pretty much a popularity contest,and then thats the end of it.

All captains are for are to relay information from coaches to refs and vise versa. Thats it, thats all.
My experience as well. imo other players in the locker room don't get enough credit. Often its not even the caption providing the most leadership.

lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
mbowman

I was the captain of my university varsity rugby team for the past two years, and let me tell you, there's definitely responsibility that comes with it. when an issue among the players arose, myself and the other co-captain were responsible for mediating it, and communicating with the coaches.

It wasn't voted on by the players, the coaches made the decision. We were consulted by the coaches on issues about punishments for players missing practices and stuff, if they couldn't decide who to play in certain positions, they asked us for advice.

and then obviously the actual leadership stuff, making speeches, talking to the team before and during games, keeping players fired up and whatnot. as well as talking to the ref. in rugby the ref doesn't take **** the same way they do in hockey.

having said all this, there were obviously other leaders on the team, as there are on every team

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:53 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Captains matter. Leaders matter. The letter "C" is only worth getting to talk to the refs.
I agree with this the most so far

A lot of the Bruins leaders have letters (Recchi, Chara, Ference) so it doesnt really apply for us

But im sure there are other teams where the real leaders have an A or nothing at all.

Good point

Old
05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
A good leader is a crucial part of a team, however a captain is just a C sewn to a players jersey who gets to talk to the officials. The best leader on the team might wear the C, might not.
It was like that on my high school drumline. I was easily the most respected by the other drummers on the drumline, but I only got assistant captain my senior year because the guy who got the captain had ties with the instructor.

So while he got the credit, I was the one helping everyone out and actually making a difference

I hope that didnt sound cocky but its true.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
All I do know is the captain in hockey pales in comparison to cricket where they're really relied on to make decisions.
Yep. Although that comes at the expense of the coach.

Didn't know there were cricket fans on HF.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Fripp

Captaincy is a letter on the jersey that says you can talk to the refs. Leadership doesn't depend on any letter. Leadership matters.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Rhino Rilley

i dont think captaincy matters as it's just a letter on a jersey, leadership however is important in a locker room imo, for example if bergeron has the c on his jersey boston still wins the cup but if you takeaway charas leadership who knows how those three game 7s coulde ended

Rhino Rilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

As fans we can only speculate on how a captaincy works in the NHL.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM
ean

I love how everyone on here is raving how important leadership is but how useless the C is. The C is a letter on your best leaders chest, so yes, the C is a big deal.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:17 AM
thekernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post

when it comes to captaincy, there couldn't be a bigger distinction between juniors and pros. not to knock your point of view on the matter, but considering the high turnover of junior teams, it's apples and oranges.

when someone is the captain, they have to be the example set for the team. the captain holds himself and his teammates to high accountability. the C in the nhl isn't some petty popularity contest.

if captaincy truly meant as little as the people in this thread suggest it does, then why don't we see people like jeff carter, patrick kane, or alex semin at team's helm?

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote