HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Conference Finals - (1) New York Rangers vs. (6) New Jersey Devils (II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 07:38 PM
irishlaxburger2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Grant View Post
Not this year.
Parise had 3 more points in the regular season. Richards has 3 more in the playoffs.

Equal production this year as of right now. Richards has scored some MASSIVE goals in these playoffs though.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not this year.
I didn't realize we're still in the regular season. Richards might be the most clutch playoff performer left in the playoffs

Old
05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Your bias is astounding.

You also seem to be under the impression that wide open, defensively irresponsible hockey equals better hockey. Couldn't be further from the case.
Its not bias. The Rangers just dont attack, or try to sustain one. Theyre opportunistic and have guys that can capitalize on those chances. And I hope you arent implyimg the Devils play bad defense. Quite the contrary, considering the pieces.

All that said, Im still terrified about this series. The Rangers have a great chance because of their goalie, and this is a golden chance to own local bragging rights, indefinetely.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Quote:
Parise had 3 more points in the regular season. Richards has 3 more in the playoffs.

Equal production this year as of right now. Richards has scored some MASSIVE goals in these playoffs though.
That's fine, but before these playoffs even started this wouldn't even be a discussion. From all the games I saw of NYR this regular season, Richards was damn near invisible in every one of them. You always know when Zach Parise is on the ice.

Glad he's stepped it up in the playoffs though, always liked him and wanted him to succeed.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Season means nothing. Ask Vancouver. In the playoffs, against teams really trying, the Rangers are getting outplayed and tanking their way to wins.

Theyre tough as hell. Ill give them that.
WTF??? What does this even mean...... I think this proves these threads should be locked till puck drop.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Its not bias. The Rangers just dont attack, or try to sustain one. Theyre opportunistic and have guys that can capitalize on those chances. And I hope you arent implyimg the Devils play bad defense. Quite the contrary, considering the pieces.

All that said, Im still terrified about this series. The Rangers have a great chance because of their goalie, and this is a golden chance to own local bragging rights, indefinetely.
The Rangers don't want to posses the puck. That's not what they're good at. They're good at something else, and it's working for them, but some people think that winning other ways isn't fair, or sustainable

On a side note, teams have largely stopped the Rangers by greatly improving their shot blocking. Let's see if the Devils do that

Old
05-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Your bias is astounding.

You also seem to be under the impression that wide open, defensively irresponsible hockey equals better hockey. Couldn't be further from the case.
Ranger fans defending defensive hockey. Devils fans promoting run & gun.

It's the Bizarro World! Run for your lives!!!

Anarchy! Cats sleeping with dogs!

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 05-13-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: cats
Old
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
On a side note, teams have largely stopped the Rangers by greatly improving their shot blocking. Let's see if the Devils do that
Salvador will help with this

Old
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
That's fine, but before these playoffs even started this wouldn't even be a discussion. From all the games I saw of NYR this regular season, Richards was damn near invisible in every one of them. You always know when Zach Parise is on the ice. Glad he's stepped it up in the playoffs though, always liked him and wanted him to succeed.
Richards did not have the best regular season of his career. Far from it. He's even admitted to this and said the move to NYC was actually a lot more strenuous than he expected.

That said, the Rangers really didn't go after him that hard for regular season performance. We went all out for him because of his playoff exploits. The guy just gets it done in the clutch, and it's the reason why I like him better than Parise *right now*. The Caps series was perfect proof of that. Assisted on the Gaborik OT goal. Tied game 5 with 6.6 seconds to go. Scores the first in game 7. Just absolutely clutch.

Parise has the opportunity to be the same type of playoff performer. He certainly has the knack for scoring in big situations (see Olympics). He just hasn't shown the same history of it compared to Richards yet. Hence, I like Richards slightly better. Things can certainly change though and I'd take Parise in a second.

Either way, I don't think you can definitively say either is better than the other. Both have their arguments. I dont understand the couple Devils fan earlier who thought it wasn't debatable. I just like Richards in the playoffs, particularly these playoffs.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Dr Grant

Quote:
imho, I think this is going to be a bit like the Flyers series. NJ will have most of the puck possession and NYR will have a bunch of opportunistic chances on a rush. It'll come down to whether Marty can make the key save and if NJ can get past NYR's shot blocking and most importantly, Henrik.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Dr Grant

Quote:
Richards did not have the best regular season of his career. Far from it. He's even admitted to this and said the move to NYC was actually a lot more strenuous than he expected.

That said, the Rangers really didn't go after him that hard for regular season performance. We went all out for him because of his playoff exploits. The guy just gets it done in the clutch, and it's the reason why I like him better than Parise *right now*. The Caps series was perfect proof of that. Assisted on the Gaborik OT goal. Tied game 5 with 6.6 seconds to go. Scores the first in game 7. Just absolutely clutch.

Parise has the opportunity to be the same type of playoff performer. He certainly has the knack for scoring in big situations (see Olympics). He just hasn't shown the same history of it compared to Richards yet. Hence, I like Richards slightly better. Things can certainly change though and I'd take Parise in a second.

Either way, I don't think you can definitively say either is better than the other. Both have their arguments. I just like Richards in the playoffs, particularly these playoffs.
Exactly, like I said, the homer in me thinks Parise is better, but it could just as easily go the other way too. Richards has been a beast so far in the playoffs, but you can't discredit the playoff Parise's had. The numbers aren't there, but in that Flyers series, I saw him play some of the best hockey of his career. Both great players, hoping for a great series, good luck.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
imho, I think this is going to be a bit like the Flyers series. NJ well have most of the puck possession and NYR will have a bunch of opportunistic chances on a rush. It'll come down to whether Marty can make the key save and if NJ can get past NYR's shot blocking and most importantly, Henrik.
I think this is pretty much dead on.

I've been warning fellow Ranger fans about the devils ever since they started to come on back in February. If Marty fades or gets hurt, we got this. If he stays healthy and strong, Rangers gotta grind it out and get to Game 7.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:51 PM
TheSituation

Quote:

Parise is a better overall player IMO.

Old
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
imho, I think this is going to be a bit like the Flyers series. NJ well have most of the puck possession and NYR will have a bunch of opportunistic chances on a rush. It'll come down to whether Marty can make the key save and if NJ can get past NYR's shot blocking and most importantly, Henrik.
I think possession will be fairly even, much like it was in our games this season.

I think the Devils fans are jumping to major conclusions comparing this series to their last series with the Flyers. Flyers were hot after the first round and going up against a team coming off a game 7 and got smoked. Everything changes once the matchups change. You can't really take much from the series before to predict what will happen in the next, especially considering the Flyers and Rangers are two completely opposite teams.

Old
Tundra

Quote:

Richards plays a more demanding position. As much as I love Zach's two way game, I agree with you.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:53 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
Parise is a better overall player IMO.
Career stats, regular season or postseason, disagree. And it's not like one has a major advantage intangible-wise over the other.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Dr Grant

Quote:
I think possession will be fairly even, much like it was in our games this season.

I think the Devils fans are jumping to major conclusions comparing this series to their last series with the Flyers. Flyers were hot after the first round and going up against a team coming off a game 7 and got smoked. Everything changes once the matchups change. You can't really take much from the series before to predict what will happen in the next, especially considering the Flyers and Rangers are two completely opposite teams.
You also have to understand that the Devils of the regular season and the Devils of the playoffs are two completely different teams. If they play the way they did against Philly and late against FLA, then I'm confident in my assessment, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. It's going to be an extremely tough series for both teams, both coaches are going to have to be at their best.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
All top 4 defenders have played these minutes all year long, playoffs are no different.
Now at the end of the season is when they'd run out of gas, and it's the worst time for that. Playing McDonagh 30 minutes a night cannot be sustainable.

Quote:
Your bias is astounding.

Please, we don't believe that. We are Devils fans.

There is a difference between defensively responsible and playing something akin to a rope-a-dope, which is what the Rangers do by going into a shell and blocking everything.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
nope
Yup. Sorry.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Section32

As far as comparing both teams...I don't think you can say either one is clearly better than the other (when healthy).

That is a huge compliment to the Devils who were nearing the dreaded "restart" for years. But magical Lou has come through with great trades, young faces and of course the big Russian fish.

I think the key difference is the Rangers have better Goaltending (finally) and D right now and the Devils have a deeper, better scoring offense. Of course this will probably all change come next season- which way? Who knows?

But all you need is consistency from either layer of the team and timely scoring- and one team is in the finals.

I started this thread NJ fans, "I haven;'t seen you in the playoffs in a long time and right away you guys are getting fresh. I'm sorry, I hope you are sorry too. Now go get your *****'in shinebox!"

Just kidding...any time I can use a Goodfellas line I will do so...

Old
05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
Parise simply because he's younger.

But that has a lot to do with 4+ years from now. Right now, Richards is equal or better.
Really don't even know how this is a discussion. Parise had a slow start to the year coming off an injury and has still outplayed Richards from start to finish.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Quote:
Career stats, regular season or postseason, disagree. And it's not like one has a major advantage intangible-wise over the other.
sup lax

Old
05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
You also have to understand that the Devils of the regular season and the Devils of the playoffs are two completely different teams. If they play the way they did against Philly and late against FLA, then I'm confident in my assessment, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. It's going to be an extremely tough series for both teams, both coaches are going to have to be at their best.
The Rangers of the regular season and playoffs are also very different teams. I'll be the first to admit that. We've looked like we're sleep walking compared to the regular season. I'd say we're playing B/B- hockey right now compared to some stretches in the regular season. We're certainly not playing great hockey.

That said, there were three teams coming into these playoffs that I thought were awful matchups for the Rangers - Pens, Caps, and Sens. Given their offensive talent and the way they've played us in the regular season (or past playoff series), I thought each of the 3 could simply out-score us. Luckily, we've gotten by two of them. In sports, hump games certainly exist. Once you get over those humps, things start coming together. As a Devils fan, you saw it after the Florida series. Maybe I'm being a homer here (I probably am), but I think the Rangers got over two big humps in the first two rounds. Now it's only a matter of time before that B/B- hockey starts resembling more of what we saw in the regular season. And if that happens, I think the Devils are in trouble because if both teams play B+ hockey, I think the Rangers have the advantage. Or so the regular season and all other metrics would suggest.

My biggest point of confidence is Marty. The Rangers have really gotten the better of him recently, and always have in the playoffs. Conventional wisdom suggests against it, but I feel a lot more comfortable going against him than any goalie the Caps throw at us. Just look at past precedent. I feel like our goal scorers are just a lot more confident against him because they have a history of beating him regularly.

As long as Lundqvist is Lundqvist, I think the Rangers have the advantage here. But it's playoff hockey. Beyond that, it's effing Rangers/Devils in the Eastern Conference Finals. In 1994, we swept the season series and it still went 7. Anything can happen. I, personally, just happen to be more confident in this series than either of the previous two because I think it's a better match-up for us. Not having to deal with 6 different guys that can snipe Lundqvist's glove hand at any one time makes me feel a lot more comfortable. Your forecheck and Clarkson in front of the net are concerning though. No question there.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:08 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJParise09 View Post
sup lax
My man

Old
05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
SMantzas